[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

California

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: California-Flag.png (166KB, 1401x1600px) Image search: [Google]
California-Flag.png
166KB, 1401x1600px
Hey /trv/ I'm heading to California and the west coast for the first time this Saturday, and I'll be there for just over two weeks and back on the 10th. I'll be spreading my time across San Francisco, Santa Barbara (LA) and Yosemite. Can anyone recommend any places to see or things to try?

Are there any American staples I have to/ought to try before leaving? Things like 7/11, Dunkin' Donuts, Chipotle, Panera Bread, Chick Fil A etc.
>>
>>1291748
If you're in California have an In n Out burger, the menu is amazing if you know how to order.
Get a 4x4 or a 3x3
Animal style everything even the fries.
Ask for a hat.
You're already spending time in good areas, enjoy them. and DONT GO TO HOLLYWOOD.
It's all a fucking tourist trap.
Enjoy SB, it's definitely one of my favorite places. Also try to hit up San Diego, there's some nice stuff to do there.
>>
>>1291748
Just got back from Yosemite, it's gorgeous right now. Have fun.

Panera, Dunkin are shit though. Look for cheap, tiny, well-rated taquerias / bakers for the good shit. Food trucks too.
>>
>>1291759
>4x4, 3x3, animal style
Looked at the menu, these seem pretty large portions for a single meal - is it manageable? I don't see myself eating out much as it's expensive, so if I had to pick one which would you recommend?
>Ask for a hat
Is this a freebie?

I'm visiting Universal Studios in LA, but other than that I'll take note of avoiding Hollywood. Any scams or tricks I should watch out for while I'm there?

How lenient are bartenders with serving foreigners? I'm 18, 6'6" and I'm aware that the drinking age is 21, but I don't know if I'll pass. Do bartenders tend to be more friendly to foreigners, less friendly or about the same? I'm white and I have a "posh" English accent so I don't know if that's a contributing factor.
>>
>>1291765
What's the weather/climate like? Should I expect rain or 20-30 degrees celcius?
>>
>>1291768
>rain
Hah. Nope, we ran all out. According to the forecast it'll be around 30 C, so get up early for your biggest hike.

And at In-N-Out, just say "A 3 by 3, animal style. Fries extra crispy, animal style. A Neapolitan shake." You're welcome.
>>
>>1291772
What does "animal style" mean? As in what do they do to the food that makes it "animal style"? But other than that, thanks for the tips.

Any advice on how to try and get served alcohol/enter bars in California? I'm 18 and 6'6" and I could pass for 21, but I don't know if bartenders ask for ID or proof. I know some bars simply refuse entry if they don't believe you.
>>
>>1291773
I don't know some shit with onions and their "spread" but its delicious and cheap. I lived off In-N-Out in my undergrad years, about $3.50 a burger.

The craft bar scene is pretty cool, ones I've been to don't card at the door. 6'6" and foreign doesn't hurt. If you go to a lowkey one just ask the about local brews.
>>
>>1291766
Not that anon, I personally think 4x4 is too much, especially if you order fries too. I'd recommend a double double animal style and animal style fries.
>Is this a freebie?
Yes.
>How lenient are bartenders with serving foreigners?
Bartenders here are really on top of carding people, sometimes even if you're obviously over 21. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll serve you. As for your being a foreigner, you're visiting major cities in what is probably the most visited states by tourists, as well as being diverse in its own right. No one will think anything of it, though you may get some compliments on your accent since Americans have a hard on for britbongs.
>>
>>1291748
If you're in SF, definitely get a burrito.
La Taqueria, Taqueria El Farolito, and Taqueria Cancun are generally regarded as some of the best taquerias in the city and in the US.

Panera Bread is shit. Don't go.
Chipotle is shit. Don't go.

Other quintessential SF things:
- House of Prime Rib
- drink a fernet and coke
- smoke some (extremely strong) weed
- Hike The Presidio / Land's End

What are you into?
>>
>>1291777
Well I'm 6'6", well-dressed, deep voice and I have an English accent - maybe I'd get away with it?

>>1291782
I recently passed my Driving test in England, so I had my provisional (learner's) license taken away - would that work as a reasonable excuse? I don't have any other form of ID. I'd be going with my Dad and Sister who are 51 and 23 respectively with their ID and I'm taller than both of them, so maybe that will work?

>As for your being a foreigner, you're visiting major cities in what is probably the most visited states by tourists
I'm aware of this, I'm just wondering if it may have an effect on getting served. In England, at least in my city, a lot of foreigners tend not to be asked for ID just because they're foreign so I don't know if this was a thing in California as well.
>though you may get some compliments on your accent since Americans have a hard on for britbongs.
That's what I thought at first, but I thought maybe it would be the opposite as Americans would get sick of hearing it/get jealous that there are guys with fancy accents walking around?
>>
>>1291786
Generally speaking, nicer restaurants won't card, but almost all bars will card for entry. So, feel free to order a drink if you go out with your family.

One of my favorite restaurants in SF is Zuni Cafe. Great food and amazing setting.
>>
>>1291785
I'm super into burritos especially mission-style ones, so I've really wanted to visit the mission district and try a few places.

>house of prime rib
I'll try it. How expensive is it? I don't think I'd be able to afford to eat out much.
>fernet and coke
Might be an issue if I'm 18 and can't get served. Is it served in most bars?
>Smoke weed
I don't do drugs, so I'll pass. But thanks anyway
>What are you into?
Landscapes, photography, alcohol, good food and cooking just to name a few things.

>>1291788
>Card
Does this mean ask for ID? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with American/Californian slang.

Also what's the best grocery chain? I'd be cooking at my place most nights, so I wanted to know which places are decent/not cheap and questionable groceries. Walmart? Safeway?
>>
>>1291791
Yes, to card = check for id. Ralphs and Albertsons are my locals, Sprouts and Whole Foods if you want to get a little nicer.
>>
>>1291791
Cool, definitely hit one of those taquerias then. La Taqueria is my favorite.

> House of Prime Rib
- I think like $30 / head?

> Fernet
- Yeah, I'd order it at a restaurant instead

Definitely do Land's End and The Presidio. Golden Gate Park and Bernal Heights are also great. Dolores Park is a little grungy, but a very SF scene. Consider going to Marin or taking the ferry to Oakland too.

Other cheap, good eats in SF
- Banh Mi or Pho in Little Saigon (though very close to the Tenderloin, so be careful)
- Swan Oyster Depot. Very cheap, but extremely high quality seafood. Super old school SF.
- Yamo for Burmese.
- Any cheap dim sum place in the Sunset or Richmond districts
- Try eatsa. It's an automated restaurant chain based in SF. They have a few locations. Very neat, futuristic experience

If you like coffee, SF is one of the biggest third-wave coffee hubs in the US. Go to Four Barrel, Ritual, Sightglass, Blue Bottle, etc.
>>
>>1291792
>>1291798
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.
>>
>>1291791

>I dont do drugs
>Interests: drinking

Make up your mind, idiot. Alcohol is a drug.
>>
>>1291818
What I meant were illegal drugs. Yes, if you want to be pedantic alcohol is a drug, but it's not what people usually think of/refer to when talking about drugs.
>>
Two quick questions:
1) How much is customary to tip for waiters? 10%? 20%?
2) Is International House of Pancakes worth visiting?
>>
>>1291821

Marijuana is barely illegal in California though. If you want to be pedantic you could move the goalpost further and say you only enjoy intoxicating depressants.

Good for you for not smoking but you can't say you don't enjoy drugs when you obviously enjoy consuming alcohol. Weed isnt considered to be a hard drug dude, its a plant for Christ's sake
>>
>>1291830
>Weed isnt considered to be a hard drug dude, its a plant for Christ's sake

Cocaine hydrochloride, khat, opium and all of its derivatives are "plants," too, breh. We get it, you're cool and woke.

>>1291821
Don't let that faggot pedant you down.
>>
>>1291828
15% is standard
IHOP is America kitsch, but the food isn't very good.
>>
Dunno if it's a seasonal thing but I had fun olive oil tasting last year in Ventura County east of Santa Barbara
>>
>>1291748
If no one has said In n Out yet, In n Out.

Please eat real Mexican food south of Los Angeles because the San Francisco "Mexican," food is shitty.
>>
>>1291909
?? The modern burrito was literally invented in SF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_burrito
>>
>>1291991
Germans invented the ICE, but it took the French to make the automobile anything other than a German piece of shit unfit for use by the Anglo-Saxon-Norman man.

The California Burrito is what is desireable, and it makes its home in San Diego and Imperial counties.
>>
File: BEACH.jpg (78KB, 600x360px) Image search: [Google]
BEACH.jpg
78KB, 600x360px
>>1291748

>Are there any American staples I have to/ought to try before leaving? Things like 7/11, Dunkin' Donuts, Chipotle, Panera Bread, Chick Fil A etc.

California resident here. This guy gets it: >>1291765

You should try a California burrito (Carne Asada + french fries + Cheese + Pico de gallo). Santana's (a chain Mexican place) is ok, but a family operated one might be better.

[spoiler]Strait up Carne Asada burritos are great too.[/spoiler]

If you can try Phill's BBQ too. If you ever end up in the San Diego Airport they literally have one right next to the planes.

>How lenient are bartenders with serving foreigners? I'm 18, 6'6"

Unfortunately people are VERY strict about ID here... both in bars and restaurants.

>Can anyone recommend any places to see or things to try?

If you get a chance, try cooking hot dogs on the beach. They usually have fire pits right next to the ocean, and putting a hot dog on an unfolded metal coat hangar is a quality "beach experience". (Just make sure not to get one with a plastic / rubber coating of course.)
>>
>>1291830
>marijuana is barely illegal

isn't it fully legal?
>>
>>1293154
Not quite yet, until 2018 it's legal to smoke and possess (with certain restrictions) but it's not legal to buy or sale without a medical card. Most dispensaries nowadays don't give a shit though and wont card you.
>>
Order drinks without the ice or your drink will taste like disgusting tapwater
>>
>>1291759
>Get a 4x4 or a 3x3
>Animal style everything even the fries.
Not everyone is a lardo like you, fat boy.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.