[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where could I go to on a weekend from Des Moines?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: des moines.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
des moines.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
Hello, my friend and I - who are both 18 - like to travel alot. However, due to school starting, my friend and I can't do so for very long periods of time in far away places for the time being. However, we still could travel on the weekends or when breaks occur.

I was wondering, from Des Moines Iowa, where could we go if we could leave on day 1 and had to be back home by day 3. Like say we left on a Friday at 3 pm and had to be home Sunday by 11 or midnight. Some exceptions occurring of course, like say we have a Monday off.

I'd also highly appreciate week long adventure suggestions that you could drive to from Des Moines Iowa and stay a couple days there. For things like spring break, winter break, and next summer.

Thanks for all the help you give if it's given. Hopefully this doesn't seem like an arrogant/ needy thing to ask. Was just hoping someone would have something nearby they heavily enjoyed seeing and would like to share that maybe I didn't know about. Thank you all who post.

P.S. We really enjoy big nature parks, art, architecture, and history. Especially nature parks and architecture cause it's usually free to see and makes for good photos lol.
>>
Also, we've already been to Omaha, Kansas City, Cedar Rapids/Iowa City. Also nature spots like Maquoketa Caves State Park, Mines of Spain, and other nature spots in Iowa. We also plan on later on going to the Ozarks, the Badlands/ Where Mount Rushmore is, and Minneapolis. This is just in regards to stuff we can/ have driven to.
>>
>>1291110
Honestly you should have a guys weekend in Chicago since it's not that far, it's not as bad as the memes make it out to be, it has good food and a great nightlife, other than that your kinda fucked
>>
>>1291110
The great lakes are pretty cool. Lots of parks up in Northern Wisconsin and Northern Minnesota worth checking out.

Madison Wisconsin is also a fun college town. I was there last labor day weekend and there was lots going on: local food festivals, boating on the lakes, college football. The restaurant scene is also great, lots of beer options if you're into that.
>>
>>1291497
Seconding Madison as a fun place. I lived there for a few years and loved it. Big town, almost a city (about the same size as Des Moines proper, but a bit denser, since downtown is crammed onto an attractive little isthmus between two attractive lakes). Great food, especially well stocked with international cuisines, as it's the most diverse place in Wisconsin. Very good Asian restaurants, hippie restaurants, and a couple of good, new-American 5-star places, too. L'Etoile, on the square by the capitol building, was once voted by knowledgeable food snobs to be the best American restaurant in the Midwest, including Chicago (Chicago is, perhaps obviously, a hardcore fine-dining food city).
>>
>>1291531
It's also got great dive bars and a decent music scene.
>>
>>1291135
>>1291497
>>1291531
>>1291533
Thank you guys for the tips thus far. Hopefully his mom would let us go to Chicago as she kinda buys into the super dangerous memes. Didn't think of Wisconsin that much, I'll have to look into it. Anyway, thanks for the info thus far.
>>
For anything longer than a weekend I'd hop on I80 and head west to Colorado. I've 4/5 day trips out there with 3 of us. Sometimes drive through the night. It's about a 13 hour drive for us. We ski or hike. It's unreal there.
>>
>>1291111
Nice digits.

If you need Minneapolis advice, I can supply.
>>
>>1291110
It is still warm enough to visit the beaches of Wisconsin and Illinois.

Try adventure mode, rather than going to a new place to do the same old, try doing something new in your old town: ever been cow tipping?
>>
>>1291110
Chicago for art and architecture. The Art Institute is world class and there are great architecture tours downtown (i recommend the riverboat tour).

SW Wisconsin has interesting small towns and landscapes. I'd recommend the Sheboygan area of Wisconsin for lake michigan beaches you can camp at.
>>
>>1292199
Same, I live here. Love the weather tonight.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.