[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

European Trip 2018

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: stm511c09b55c40120130213.jpg (127KB, 580x382px) Image search: [Google]
stm511c09b55c40120130213.jpg
127KB, 580x382px
Hi /trv/,

I am in the beginning process of planning a normie Euro-trip for January/February 2018. I know it is winter, but that is when me and my friends will have time off of work.

We have about 3-4 weeks. We are in our young 20s and from the midwestern United States.

Cities we want to hit:
>London
>Dublin
>Paris
>Amsterdam
>Berlin or Munich?
>maybe a city in Poland?
>Prague
>Vienna
>Budapest
>somewhere fun in Croatia (King's landing?)
>Rome (maybe 1-2 more Italian cities?)
>Barcelona
>Morocco

We want to all the traditional tourist spots in each city. We are interested in nightlife.

If anyone has any recommendations for sights/hostels/nightlife in any of those cities, please share.

Any special considerations for traveling in winter?

Thanks, we are beginner travelers.
>>
>>1291001
3-4 weeks are not nearly enough for that many locations. You should narrow it down to 8-10 cities max depending on your planned travel pace.

How are you planning to travel around? Interrail?

I did Budapest - Bratislava - Prague - Berlin - Amsterdam this summer by train during the course of 15 days, and it felt a bit rushed at times. Remember that some of the train routes will take you quite some time.

You have plenty of time to plan this though, good thing to get started in time.
>>
>>1291005
agree. it's no good just rushing through it. stay a little bit longer, is the city is boring: day trips
>>
I agree that you couldn't do this in 3-4 weeks. From personal experience anything under three nights in a big city will feel like a rush.

Also done interrail: Amsterdam - Berlin - Warsaw - Krakow - Bratislava - Budapest.

I'd really recommend Poland, it was my favourite part of the trip by far. It's cheap and very pleasant. Warsaw was nice, but Krakow was best for me. You could walk out of the city quite easy into wooded hills with great views.
>>
Munich >>> Berlin!
Why? Winter. Snow. Skiing. And a lot more sun than Berlin in winter due to proximity to the Alps. Berlin is usually grey, wet and damp in winter.
>>
>>1291005
>>1291011
>>1291018
>>1291026

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will try to cross a few cities off the list. We do plan on rail travel.
>>
Cut off Morocco, first and foremost, it's too far to fit it in comfortably, or you could cut off an extra European city to save time.
Places I recommend NOT going off that list:
>Dublin
>Berlin
>Poland
>Croatia
>>
File: hallstatt_600.jpg (64KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
hallstatt_600.jpg
64KB, 600x400px
if you are going to munich and vienna, try and plan a day trip to Hallstatt (make sure to bring money for the ferry to take you from the train stop to the town across the lake). I don't recommend Morocco, it's not worth it. I would add Ghent or Brugge to your list, you can take a cheap bus from London pretty easy.
>>
>>1291001
Chicago anon here, I've traveled around Europe in January in 2014 & 2015. I found the weather wasn't that cold compared to back home. Expect weather between the 30s and 50s (F). Not awful, and when walking around cities you'll find it's easy to stay warm, it's only when standing still and sitting that it catches up to you. As always, layer up and wear wool, not cotton.

January and February is the low season for tourists, so plane tickets will be nice and cheap and cities will have a more local feel. But also hostels may seem much more dead than usual. I remember staying in a hotel in Bratislava where I think there were only 4 other guests. So it might be harder to meet other people traveling around.

I agree with the others on your itinerary, it's way too much for your timeframe. Typically I like to spend at least 3 nights in a city. If I was in your situation I might do Paris>Amsterdam>Berlin>Prague>Krakow>Budapest. To add, I always enjoy visiting a smaller town as a break from the big cities. I found towns like Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Saltzburg, Brno, etc to be just as enjoyable as the big capitals.
>>
OP those are a lot of locations to hit in one month. I would recommend spending at least 4-5 days per city, it'll give you some time to check things out and get used to the city. I tried doing 4 cities in 9 days, and ended up missing a lot of fun stuff because I was only in Budapest on a Tuesday and Wednesday
>>
>>1291001
Berlin for partying and if you're a hipster, Munich for art and for a beautiful city, plus the Alps, which are a must.
I also recommend Nuremberg, if you're in Bavaria (pic related).
>>
Munich, if you go around Oktoberfest times. There may even be a "servants trail" ride you can take from Munich to Lugwig's castle. 3 day trip, but worth it.
>>
>>1291001
Unpopular opinion, but I fucking love Berlin. There's so much fucking history in every city block. And best of all, they speak pretty much perfect standard German or English
>inb4 but immigrants
You can see almost the entire city without talking to one person and pretty much just keep to yourself
>>
>>1291084
I'd recommend Dublin. Lots of cool shit squirreled away in that city.

Check out the Chester Beatty Library.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.