[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I found a job living and working on a ski resort in Germany.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170813_225119.jpg (194KB, 1200x965px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170813_225119.jpg
194KB, 1200x965px
I found a job living and working on a ski resort in Germany. I am planning on saving up as much as I can for a time to build up a financial cushion, get a tax number, and then look for another job.

I'm an American with a BA and no real marketable skills. I think I am a fine writer, and I know Latin and Chinese, but these don't go far without other specifications it seems.

Am I doomed to teach English? If so, I am wondering about all of the fulltime kindergarten offerings I am seeing. They say they want a degree in education along with relevant work experience. My degree is in Classics, but all I have is some experience teaching English to adults in China when I studied there abroad. I am wondering if that kind of stuff is negotiable. I imagine native English teachers are more of a rarity in Germany because of what seems to be a higher barrier of entry compared to a place like China. In my mind this gives me hope that I might land such a position, but I don't know much about the red tape that might be lurking to trip me up.

I don't mean to dwell so much on that option however. I am looking for any ideas that would be feasible for a recent grad. I am willing to work anywhere, and I anticipate my German would be pretty good by the time I begin to look for jobs (I took two semesters at college). Am I dreaming too big? Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>1290794
>I am wondering about all of the fulltime kindergarten offerings I am seeing. They say they want a degree in education along with relevant work experience
Yeah you're not likely to land a job without any kind of experience, the market there is fairly open, but they take people that did internships in school or as a volunteer year.

>I imagine native English teachers are more of a rarity in Germany because of what seems to be a higher barrier of entry compared to a place like China
No. There are very many, still not impossible to get a job, though.

If your Chinese is good, you might be able to teach that, or tutor English/German to Chinese (lots of students in the student cities)
>>
>>1291030
Thanks for the reality check.

I feel like I should probably return to school after this year so I can get a real job. I'll still apply somewhere and see what happens I guess.

I have been working with a friend in China to get some essay/translation contacts in Asia, but this would ideally be supplemental income.
>>
>>1290794
If I were you I'd learn German asap and start looking at the qualifications for jobs that interest you and learn the necessary skills. The labor market will tip in your favor as years pass and maybe some employers might take you on and learn as you work.
>>
How are you getting a visa which allows you to work?
>>
File: IMG_20170820_202954.jpg (134KB, 1291x766px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_202954.jpg
134KB, 1291x766px
>>1291560
I honestly don't know the specifics for this because it is technically a US government job (they own the ski resort) where I am a kind of a waiter/ski instructor/laundry boy/security guard all at once (they will decide once I get there).

Since I am paid by my native government, I guess I don't really need a work visa, but clearly I need something if they're prepared for me to stay there for over a year right? I suppose I just have my fingers crossed that it ends up being the right kind of visa for what I want to do.

If not, I would see what paperwork is required to do whatever I want to do.

My background check is underway right now so I have not officially been hired, but there is very little information about these kinds of details from my current position .
>>
we are just fine with our englisch teachers. education is pretty good here, english profiency in the population, too.
And probably half of all trained educators ( high school englisch teachers) have been in GB for an erasmus year anyway. So being native speaker won`t really help here to get a real job. school teachers need a special university education anyways. maybe language centre at a university? but these are kind of badly paid part time jobs. I know a guy who landed a job there, because he worked half a year for free, until they had a job for him. and he teaches spanish where we actually need native speakers.
>>
>>1291660
Yeah I noticed some unis will pay you to sit in an office to help students edit their English composition, but only for like 6 hours on a weekend.

Hmm, well this is looking discouraging.
>>
>>1291626
>tfw russia geographically shits on Mongolia
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.