[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it like to live in San Francisco?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

What is it like to live in San Francisco?
>>
expensive
everything smells like shit
tourists everywhere
>>
>>1290564
That is a lot of places.
>>
It's really rough but fun. These days with all the people moving here to work in the tech industry it's changing the laid back feel. It all depends on where you hang out or what you consider fun. You can easily find yourself in some ultra shallow white bread plain Jane crowd. It's like 8 cities in one.
>>
>>1290563
I've lived here 8 years.
>>1290564
This guy doesn't.

It's a major city, yes it's expensive, yes there a lot of homeless people, yes you have to keep your eyes on the sidewalk to stop from stepping in the occasional poo. There are too many tech hipsters and chinks in town.

But there's a great restaurant and bar on almost every corner. very band on a tour will stop in the City or at least in the Bay Area. We have a world class symphony/opera. Amazing architecture, some dating back to the 1906 earthquake. People are generally intelligent and liberal and can hold a conversation. You either love it or you don't, if you don't you move out the the sticks and frankly good riddance.
>>
>>1292013
Accurate. It's an okay city, i enjoyed my time a lot but I was with a rich uncle who showed me the best of the best in SF and the surrounding areas, but I know I have a bias since He was dropping ~1k on meals
>>
>>1292013
Pretty good summary. I've been here fifteen years (got here just as the last/first big tech bubble, the 'dot com boom,' was bursting), and my wife is a local, so I've been visiting for longer than that.

It's sadly cripplingly expensive for most folks nowadays. We are blessed with a really rich history of artistic and bohemian cultural stuff, but an artsy person today can't typically afford to move here without a lot of roommates; the 'coolest' people moved to Oakland years ago and Oakland isn't affordable anymore either. (Old-school bohemians who still live in the city have rent control and will never be able to afford to move.) The current tech boom isn't actually directly responsible for rising rents, but it has contributed to a modest homogenization of the local culture--lots of rich young kids (some cool, some douchebags) who are pretty good (online and to a lesser extent food and drink) consumers, but don't add anything creative or interesting to the local scene.

I don't hate tech kids, and half of my (older than kid) friends are in software or related industry, but they're definitely arrogant and not bringing much of interest to the party.

It's also got a serious homeless and poverty problem, as the market gets more expensive and the poor get squeezed harder.

But in spite of all of that, it's still my favorite American city. Extremely agreeable cool but not cold climate, atypically gorgeous physical setting, and still enough diversity to make for very good restaurants, a good arts scene, and an enjoyable place to live. Very dense, largely walkable, good enough transit (although complaining about Muni is sort of a local pastime).

It has everything I have ever wanted out of a major city, without being so big that I feel suffocated.

But it's a ripoff, people who smell like piss will be asking you for change daily, and it may be getting a little less interesting day by day.

I love it and have no plans to move. But your mileage may vary.
>>
>>1292017
>"rich uncle"
>treating you around sf
riiiight
>>
>>1292026
>>1292013
Lived here 7 years. These guys are pretty much spot on. Still my favorite city in the US.
>>
There's this taqueria in the tenderloin called Taqueria Can Cun and it has the best burritos I've ever eaten in my life. Yes, I've tried the supposed best ones in the Mission district, la taqueria I believe but these ones were better. I think you pay like $7-8 for this gigantic burrito that can feed like 3 people or one fat guy like me. They must add crack that's lying around in the neighborhood because I have to go there every time I'm in town.

I live in Canada where Mexican food is mediocre at best.
>>
>>1292294
The original Can-Cun is actually in the Mission District, I believe--the one on Market and 6th (technically on the wrong side of Market St. to be the Tenderloin proper, but 6th St. is at least as shitty, so same basic idea) is a number of years newer. Similar food, though.

People here have virtual knife fights about which taqueria is the best--it's an argument nobody can win. But Can-Cun is on a lot of people's shortlists. My favorite is probably El Farolito, which has at least two branches in the Mission, and one of which (on Mission just north of 24th St) may be even grungier than Can-Cun. Open very late, no atmosphere whatsoever, greasy and satisfying.
>>
>>1292486
>The original Can-Cun is actually in the Mission District
The more you know

>People here have virtual knife fights about which taqueria is the best--it's an argument nobody can win
Hahaha. Yeah I can imagine. The Bay Area has some amazing Mexican food all over the place. Just looking at pics from El Farolito or some other taquerias like that makes me so hungry, we have nothing like that here in Vancouver. The Mexican restaurants are all sit down, mostly family style places. Some are pretty decent but no where near as good as the places in the States. I go to Bellingham to get my Mexican fix.
>>
>>1292486
There's another one in La Lengua South of Cesar Chavez that's always pretty empty. I'm personally partial to La Taqueria ;)
>>
File: 20170825_153834.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170825_153834.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1290563
Yup
>>
Could someone self-taught at coding/IT stuff or a coding bootcamp graduate get a decent paying job in the industry in SF?
>>
>>1293193
With the right drive. You'll be sand to the beach so it'll be a bit of a constant competition to stand out. You'll probably have to live in the east Bay and commute an hour or so but I'm sure you can do it.
>>
>>1292987
The funniest thing I've seen in SF is homeless people who had really really nice tents and scooters/motorbikes parked next to them. Life must be good for them...
>>
>>1290563
You live with the constant feeling of getting fucked in the ass. Sometimes figuratively, sometimes literally.
>>
>>1293193
Why would they hire you instead of someone who actually has a fucking clue?

"Oh, look at me, I'm self-taught! I can type in the 'hello world' test from memory! I know all about programming, including why to use chars instead of longs for flag bits! Last week I learned what 'unsigned' is used for! HIRE MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!"
>>
>>1293415
Fuck your telling me I saw I dude with like 30 brand new hella pricey bikes. That's like at least 2k wtf...
>>
>>1292013

Shill
>>
>>1292013
>fish, veganshit and faux chink food
>good
Even if you hate the South and "dixie culture", at least their food is edible.
>>
How's employment for mechanical engineers in SF?
>>
>>1293778
In the City - not great. In silicon valley - great.
>>
>>1293720
Don't post if you have no clue what you're talking about. SF is widely recognized as a food mecca, probably the best food scene on the west coast. More good restaurants close in a week here that you even have in your shitty town, whatever it is.
>>
>>1293904
Is commuting from the city to the Valley normal?
>>
Kind of feels like you're taking a shit but backwards.
>>
>>1294033
It's getting more and more normal. The biggest companies (including but not limited to Google, Facebook, and Apple) have their own fleets of shuttle buses; likewise, when I commuted from SF to Palo Alto for a year on the train, the trains were always more or less full.

It's slow and annoying (typically well over an hour on a crowded freeway; not a lot faster in your own car during rush hour; light rail to train station plus train took me an hour and a half each way), but lots of people do it.
>>
>>1294033
Yes very normal but can be a 2 hour commute both ways. Might need to stop off in Dublin or Pleasanton to get dinner. There's alot of nice places to stop off.
>>
>>1294058
3 hours back and forth sounds horrific
>>
>>1294076
>3 hours back and forth sounds horrific
I thought so, but thousands of people put up with it.
>>
>>1293906
Kek look at this fag
>>
>>1293415
>life must be good for them

Because they own a tent and a bike? No, that's still a shit life.
>>
>>1294167
you're not even trying
>>
>>1294071
That seems like a weird commute to Silicon Valley--are you thinking Central Valley? Pleasanton is, true to its name, actually very nice (my grandfather lived the last few years of his life there), and I'm assuming Dublin is OK too, but nobody I know who works in Mountain View or Palo Alto drives through there on the way home to SF. Is 680 secretly really fast, making a bridge toll a better deal than an hour of hating one's fellow man on the 101?
>>
>>1294474
Oh shit I thought by valley he meant "the valley"
>>
>>1294822
Yeah, people have started calling Silicon Valley 'the Valley' in the last few (ten?) years. Seems reductive. But we call San Francisco, technically not even the biggest city in the Bay Area, "The City," so we are good at reducing.

> I say technically because, although San Jose is significantly larger in terms of population, it's a lot more sprawling and suburban in character. San Francisco is the only Bay Area city (and there are nine or ten of them, administratively speaking) that actually feels like a major city.
>>
>>1294298
You're not trying
>>
>>1292013
>It's a major city, yes it's expensive, yes there a lot of homeless people, yes you have to keep your eyes on the sidewalk to stop from stepping in the occasional poo. There are too many tech hipsters and chinks in town.

>You either love it or you don't

Okay, whatever you say Anon
>>
>>1290563
Unless you're very wealthy it sucks. I know I live here
>>
>>1292013
Typical arrogant liberal cunt. There you go op these are the types of fags who live in this shithole these and the niggers that live in the city for free
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.