[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some advice on surviving Russian winter. Next month I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

I need some advice on surviving Russian winter.

Next month I'm beginning a teaching contract in St. Petersburg. I grew up on the gulf coast and winter is little to nothing here, it'll snow maybe once a decade. I bought a down insulated coat and know I should get some gloves. Otherwise I need advice on the various particulars of living in the cold and any other suggestions you guys might have.
>>
>>1290377
I live in inner-mongolia, it gets down to -25c or so.

You'll need two layers on your legs, some thermal underwear of some sort under your trousers. You can buy it there.

Actually, buy it all there, Russians come in all sizes so it will fit and obviously they have everything they need.

Any decent mittens/gloves will do unless you're on a bike/scooter, you just put them in your pockets.
Scarves, hats with ear flaps, stuff like that. You can buy them locally anyway.
Good boots are fine, you can get foil-lined insoles which help prevent heat-loss but you're not likely to spend hours outside so it's not a big deal.

Bring some nice comfy flannel pjs, they're great for if your building isn't well heated but most of them are in cold climates.
>>
>>1290377
You really don't need big bulky jackets. Layer with wool, merino is good and comes in different weights depending on your needs. For an outer layer get something wind/waterproof (gore-Tex).
>>
>>1290377
Just buy stuff locally, no need to lug around heavy winter clothes, there's much better choice there.

It's not that cold in Piter, but quite moist and windy, so it's going to feel colder than it is. Better to have water- and windproof stuff, thermal wear helps a lot. Get quality boots, crappy ones get their soles corroded by the anti-icing chemicals they spray the streets.
>>
>>1290377
There is a much bigger problem. You only got a few hours of sunlight in winter. This lack of light may turn you suicidal.
>>
>>1290377

Buy a hat and a scarf, you'll thank me later.
>>
>>1290377
You'll find prices on stuff like clothing and electronics aren't that much of a bargain. Just head to Stockman's, though. There's a big one right on Nevsky Prospect. It's like 80 rubles to ride the metro one way, which is like...not even a single USD. So just train in and out. SPB metro is dual language signage and all the ticket machines and ATMs speak English too. It's a sweet city.
>>
>>1290489
>Get quality boots, crappy ones get their soles corroded by the anti-icing chemicals they spray the streets.

My boots got some Nasty Ice Management Stuff on them from all the slush/sludge on the busy Nevsky streets. Soles are ok, but the leather is definitely not as pretty as it was before my trip. Patina, though, and Russian patina at that, so I'm not too [spoiler]salty[/spoiler]
>>
>>1290468
>Layer with wool, merino is good and comes in different weights depending on your needs.

Finland here. This is the best advice you can get; replace cotton with wool. Wool long sleeve t-shirt, wool leggings, thick wool socks over thin wool socks. Also some snow/ice shoes (check out the Icebug brand who make great shoes for walking on icy surfaces which you will no doubt face because I doubt Russians maintain the streets as well as they should).

If you have a local outdoors store you might be able to pick up some of last season's stuff cheap right now in summer.

Avoid cotton / poly-cotton "thermal" stuff because it's nowhere near as good as wool. Avoid polyester especially because it will make you sweat and it will stink. Wool doesn't attract bacteria, so you can basically wash it under the tap, leave it to dry over night and it'll be good to go in the morning.
>>
>>1290377
Get mittens, not gloves. Mittens let your fingers share the heat and you'll last much longer outside.
>>
What age are you teaching? Also subject? International school? University? English academy?

I'll be doing something similar very soon.

Definitely get a thick scarf and hat, don't sell yourself short on any expenses for the gear.
>>
File: IMG_3195 - копия.jpg (5MB, 3110x2074px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3195 - копия.jpg
5MB, 3110x2074px
If you just going to work and back when it's -20 - ok, but if want walking or smth you needed woolen socks, 2 pants, gloves etc.
>>
File: prAna Merced jacket.jpg (475KB, 1200x1670px) Image search: [Google]
prAna Merced jacket.jpg
475KB, 1200x1670px
Awesome suggestions everyone, thanks for the insight! I'll get a few essentials but buy a fair amount of stuff when I arrive in SPb. Stockmann's looks like a excellent suggestion.

I did pick up this coat the other day on sale, the prAna Merced Jacket. It has water proof qualities which will be good there.

>>1290762
I'm teaching English at a language school in town. What about you?
>>
Some more tips for you, buddy

If you don't look white I would recommend avoiding contacting drunken companies at evenings/nights and shitty districts generally. Please note that Russian definition of "white" differs from what's taken for that in the United States. That implies Northern/Northwestern European looking people, sometimes even Italians/Iberians/Greeks are mistaken for being Middle Eastern and get beaten. Just ask your coworkers to name those zones if you want to avoid any adventures with a right-wing/soccer fan crowd. Generally the closer you are to the city centre the safer it is there.

Don't wave huge packs of cash publicly as it could attract pickpocketers.

Contacting gypsies is not recommended under any circumstances, never follow them if they invite you somewhere, avoid even talking.

I wouldn't also recommend pointing out that you're gay (if you are), they're not kinda accepted generally.

You will be surprised but winters are not that harsh as you could expect, you'll get used to them soon. But rains are a bigger problem as SPb is a very rainy city. Don't forget an umbrella.

Usually you'll see signs in metro and on streets duplicated in English but I'd also recommend learning Cyrillic letters right now, don't also forget some common words like "shop" and all that jazz.

If you would like to visit opera/theatre (I highly recommend desu), ask your Russian coworkers where to get tickets, otherwise you might be fooled as a foreigner and pay more.

It's popular in SPb to visit rooftops, that's also a great way to have fun
>>
Expect London weather and somewhat harsh winter since Novemeber. Find a Russian beauty to warm yourself at night. Don't even try drinking with Russians. Just don't.

Keep away from clubs and bars. It's just a waste of time. As a foreighner you are seen as a lucky loterry ticket to get out of Russia to the West. She'll need your money.

As for the pussies, I reccomend you global seducer's blog and Russian Cupid website.

If you're German, be prepared for questions about refugees, Nazis and stupid Hitler jokes. Quite common in Russia.
>>
>St. Petersburg
>winter

best time to commit suicide, kek

in all seriousness, here is my set:

- scarf
- gloves
- Timberlands with woolen insides
- thermal underwear for extreme temperatures (only needed once in last five years)
- woolen socks (occasionally)
- warm jacket with wool or bird fluff with a hood (taking shapka on and off all the time ruins your haircut)
- warm trousers or jeans
- thermo cup for hot tea
>>
>>1291686
Right now I'm teaching math back home in Washington as a sub while I'm doing my masters. I taught English in Korea for 2 years.

Once I finish my masters the plan is to pick up a university gig or an international school position. Any country that speaks Russian is on my potential list , I'm just going to follow the job opportunity.

Is this your first teaching job?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.