[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Burma

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: bagan.jpg (391KB, 1230x819px) Image search: [Google]
bagan.jpg
391KB, 1230x819px
Anyone been, any stories? I just got my visa and will be arriving in yangon for a few days then heading out to bagan. Must see or do's, night life, hookers, tourist sights off the beaten path? Any info would help
>>
No myanmar stories? Bumping
>>
>>1289625
>>1289625
I really want to go there for my next trip but for some reason tickets to Yangon are almost double what tickets are to New Delhi or HCMC (my next top 2 choices).

Is Burma worth going to given the extra cost? I know traveling around the country is kinda a clusterufuck.
>>
Myanmar girls are the prettiest I've ever seen. The only negatives is that it is a 3rd world country and they always wear sandals so their feet are usually dirty and not taken care of (I have a foot fetish).

I've been to Yangon, Mandalay and Bagan.

Literally any club you go to will have freelancers. They're usually by themselves.

Eat Mohingo, easily my favorite dish there
>>
Bagan is legit a village. You will have almost no luck hooking up unless you're very lucky or actively ask around for girls. Granted I went 3 years ago so it might have changed, but you will only find small shops and restaurants. Rent an electric bike and get bored of seeing pagodas after the first 3. I love the girls wearing thanakah though, so cute and tribal looking
>>
From the last few Myanmar threads I've seen, apparently the tourism is in a volatile state right now.

In other words, travel information that you've read up on a few months ago might be obsolete now. New information that you're reading up on now could become obsolete in the near future. The culture will stay the same, but things like prices, accommodations, laws (certain areas are banned to foreigners), etc. are subject to constant change.
>>
How is the food there?
>>
>>1289968
A weird mix of Indian and southeast Asian.

>>1289899
Not worth it unless you have a specific interest in Burma. IMO India has much more to offer.
>>
>>1289625
My family's from Burma, but the last time we went was in like 2008, so it's probably different there now.

For sure try the Mohinga (Fish paste soup with vermacelli); it's literally the national dish. You could also take a look at the Shwe Dagon Pagoda in Yangon/Rangoon, since Buddhism is such an integral part of life there.

The exchange rate last I checked was ~1000 kyat to 1 USD. Not sure what it is now, but it's definitely more than what the government officially claims.

Also "thank you" in Burmese is (pardon the shitty transliteration) "chay zoo veh," so I think some of the locals might find it charming if you were to try.
>>
>>1289625
Literally here right now. Very unique not much western culture has seeped in compared to other SEA countries. Also don't get hookers here try not to encourage the same degeneracy as its neighbors. They're here but not as in your face as other countries like I haven't heard anyone mention them at all.
>>1289968
Good but a bit oily.
>>
File: IMG_6790.jpg (566KB, 800x1072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6790.jpg
566KB, 800x1072px
From my understanding they have greatly reduced the number of no-go zones.
>>
>>1289625
Just went spend 10 days in Myanmar in February. Did Mandalay, Hsipaw, Bagan, Inle Lake, and Yangon.

Highlights:
- Train from Hsipaw to Mandalay. It goes over this huge chasm that's unreal, and had a chance to chat with locals.
- Taking a boat out on Inle Lake. There's a whole village and community built over the lake, apparently the largest in the world.
- All of Bagan
- Tea Leaf Salad (!!!)

Lowlights
- Mandalay sucks
- Yangon is just your standard, big, SEA city.
>>
>>1290125
I dont think anyone goes to burma for straight mongering, but if you're in yangon and the opportunity presents itself after some drinks I dont see why not, as long as you're respectful and both have a good time
>>
>>1290278
Did you feel like you had enough time? I am pretty much debating the same trip for the same length and month next year but I am wondering if I should save it for another time when I'll have longer than10 days.
>>
>>1289625

Heading there in November/December for 2 weeks.

Super keen but not sure how backpacker culture is like there.
>>
Myanmar's amazing but not a party destination by any means. People go to bed early, they're pretty conservative and most are very poor. There's not really much of an established hostel scene as in neighbouring countries.

>>1289968
Not that good desu. Tea leaf salad is nice, but the oilly curries have nothing on Thai/Chinese/Indian cuisine. The best food is usually the southern-Indian influenced stuff.

>>1290433
10 days is enough to see Bagan, Yangon and Inle but I'd want closer to 3 weeks... internal travel is slow and unreliable.
>>
>>1290440
I am planning a solo trip to Myanmar then Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam after, what are you planning on doing?

I have been wanting to go to the capital city since its so empty, something about it fascinates me
>>
>>1290810
>>1290433
(I'm the poster from above)

10 days was enough to do the things I did, but a lot of people did 3 day+ backpacking treks that I would have liked to do. A friend went to the capital and said it was super interesting / weird, so that might also require time.

Fwiw, I also flew most places (<$100 over the counter) other than the train back from Hsipaw or the bus to Bagan, so saved a lot of time that way.
>>
>>1290125
This might be a funny question but what is the plumbing and the toilets like? How hard is it to get the random western amenities you can get other places like deodorant or mexican food?

How is the music scene?
>>
Myanmar is amazing. Mandalay sucks, don't spend more than 2 or 3 nights in Yangon. Do treks!
>>
>>1291512
There's no music scene I saw out there, in terms of parties or gigs etc. You go to restaurants and the occasional pool halls or bars.There's local music though.

Mexican food an amenity? Is this the American mindset? Soap and deodorant are obtainable. Toilets are often shitty but you'll usually be able to find a western style one at least once a day. Most hotels have them.
>>
>>1291927
>Is this the American mindset?

please, just shut up.
>>
>>1291257

Just visiting the main cities with Bagan & kyoto thrown in. Not sure what else to see, but i dont have a whole lot of time in the first place.

Im heading there like late november-early December.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.