[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did you ever experience homesickness, cultural shock or some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: n-900x445.jpg (39KB, 900x445px) Image search: [Google]
n-900x445.jpg
39KB, 900x445px
Did you ever experience homesickness, cultural shock or some kind of freak out while travelling?
>>
I occasionally felt homesick when I was an expat in HK.
I enjoyed life there thoroughly but I really missed some apects of home (France).
One of them was just chilling in cafés, drinking and eating at a terrace. This is so ingrained in french lifestyle, and in western/mediterranean european countries, that you take it for granted. Then you live in HK and fucking Starbucks becomes the most chill place to hang with buddies if you just want to chat in a semi comfortable place with <120 dB ambiant sound. Rooftops and clubs are nice, so are fancy restaurants, but everything is either in shopping malls, hotels premises, or in super busy (mid levels) or remote (Stanley) places.

But I also did miss HK (still do) after leaving it.

Also now that I have moved to a tropical confetti island, and going back to France once a year only, I do miss the huge selection in shops and cheap cost of life, the diversity of landscapes within a few hours drive, and the ability to travel for cheap.
>>
>>1288751
First day in Varanasi was an absolute shock and I wanted to go home desu
It was so filthy, on the train the guy next to me had lice in his hair, the city was so filthy it was a total shock. Then it turned into an epic adventure and I started to enjoy it very much.
>>
>>1288751
I always get homesick after being away over 2 weeks. I am very close with my family still and I start to miss them. My wife gets the same way although it's over our fucking dog she misses.
>>
I got it several months into my year in turkey

Just fancied a scotch egg and personal space tbqh
>>
Extremely intense homesickness at about 2 weeks into a 2 year contract in Mozambique. I was living with a host family and seeing how they interacted created a longing for my family that I don't think I'll ever take for granted again.
>>
>>1288760
Did you move to Reunion for work originally or was there another reason?

Surely it's not so bad as there must be some aspects of "French life" there.
>>
>>1288851
I had an uncle there (my cousins were born in Reunion), and my dad was recently settled there. We visited for holiday, and I never returned to HK afterwards. In the following week to our return I resigned and we took a few months to settle everything and just took a one way ticket.
So, tl;dr: we had no employment perspectives back then and I had to create my own job. I am still self employed.

And yeah you really feel like you're in France, of course there are quite a few differences but besides climate and landscape there isn't much of a culture shock. I also live on the "golden coast" of Reunion, so it's expensive but one of the only spots where you can find nightlife and entertainment.

I really mainly miss what I've listed above, other than that it's a cool place.
>>
I was traveling through France alone after I finished. school and was not prepared at all. Ended up on a Train station in the middle of nowhere, had to ride 20km with the taxi in the middle of the night for around 100€and still had to walk around 10km alone at night. I started to freak out when my phone battery eventually died and was in a bad mental state in general, which turned into a full blown depression which lasted about 3 months.
0/10,wouldn't recommend going to France without real intitery again.
>>
>>1288751
I never get homesick but sometimes the culture of places becomes really unbearable

usually it's just till you learn the rhythms, but occasionally it just doesn't stop
>>
When i moved to Russia the day i arrived i felt like digging a hole and sitting there to cry and kept asking myself what the fuck did i do to myself.
By the third day i was already ok and after a couple of months i just fell in love with it.
I realized that what i truly miss is not country or the people themselves, but the memories i made there. Even if i went back, i wouldn't be able to relive them, so the only thing you can do is try to make new ones no matter where you are.

As for freak outs i was pretty bummed when i went to poland, got lost because i was too autistic to ask for directions and had to walk for hours at -15°C. Luckily one guy saw my face full of suffering and offered me help.
Another time (also in poland) i went to a concert but missed the last tram because i didn't know how to buy a ticket and didn't want to risk being fined and had to go by foot all the way back at night through the shittiest neighbourhoods of Krakow, got stopped by the police because i crossed when the traffic light was red even though there wasn't a single vehicule in a 500 meter radius (except the police car).
Then i almost miss my flight back because i went to take a shit thinking it had been delayed. They had to call a little bus to take me straight to the plane.
Damn, travelling is tough when you're a dumb autist.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1288896
How? I went through france just knowing where I was going to sleep that night for a month and did awesome, also I know very little french, was a bitch in the countryside, but thank god for google translate

You just suck at traveling

Pic related, was taken in Alsace
>>
>>1288751
I remember being in Paris on the bicentaire of the Bastille and having somebody murdered in front of me, by being stabbed, hit over thehead with a concrete street tile and then tossed on the electric wiring of the subway near Saint Michel
>>
I don't know why I love freak out stories followed by a recovery one way or another
>>
When I went to the USA with my family 6 years ago. We did a family roadtrip through the US as a sort of "last time" family vacation, because my brother and I would soon become adults and go our own ways during hollidays.
So we decided to go to the west coast and do a little tour there. Visiting places like LA, SF, SD, grand canyon, Las Vegas, Yosemite, Death Valley, all very beautiful except LA, worthless city to visit, there's nothing going on in that city. Our final days in the USA would be in San Diego and since we were close to the Mexican border, I thought it was a good idea to visit the San Diego neighbouring town of Tijuana. My of my did I just made the biggest mistake of my life.

Let's do a little recap. My family is a all blond, all Dutch, very western European family. During our time in the Grand Canyon my little brother, age 16 at the time, thought it would be fun to jump around on some rocks. He slipped and sprained his ankle really bad, so he had to walk with crutches for the remainder of our trip. Skip forward.

We couldn't get into Mexico by car, atleast some guy told us it would be easier to walk. So we walked that whole fucking border brigde in 40 degrees celsius to cross the border, after that my brother was already done because his arms and ankle were hurting cause of the crutches. Finally were inside Mexico and we walk around heading towards Tijuana. All we see are Mexican people, Mexican border guards and taxi's.

>part 1/2
>>
>Part 2/2
We are the only tourists around. Inside Tijuana were walking over the boulevard, but all shops are closed (permanently) and there are no people on the street, only beggar children. At some point a random dude pulls me into his silvershop to sell me some shitty bracelet. After 30 minutes we all had enough of it and we wanted to go back to the USA. So we went back to the border only to find one gigantic fucking line of people, easily a kilometer long. At that point I started losing faith and preparing mentally for the Mexican life we were now doomed to live. Luckely some nice dude told us white people can just walk ahead and skip the line, so we did that and we were back in the USA after maybe 15 minutes, But that brief moment of helplessness when I thought we wouldn't be out of Mexico anytime soon, really messed with me. Also the constant Spanish yappering and yelling was just awful.

I've been to other 3rd world countries like India, Tanzania, Brazil, England, but this one was just creepy for some reason. The emptiness of the boulevard, that huge line, the unbearable heat, I just know I'll never go back to Mexico.
>>
>>1288982
Just looked up Alsace. Damn, it's beautiful. I want to go there now. Where exactly in Alsace were you?
>>
>>1289231
>>1289229
nice blogpost faggit
>>
>>1289326
literally the point of this thread, dingus.
>>
>>1289326
>anon makes a great, board-related post
>gets called a faggot
Yeah, let's keep /trv/ as shitty as possible.
>>
>>1288843
lol baby
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.