[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the "Spanish is easy to learn" meme true?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: Spain-flag-map-plus-ultra.png (313KB, 1615x1195px) Image search: [Google]
Spain-flag-map-plus-ultra.png
313KB, 1615x1195px
Is the "Spanish is easy to learn" meme true?
>>
Si
>>
>>1288585
*Sí
>>
For native English speakers, yes. There are other languages that might be easier based on your personal learning style but of the European languages it's your best bet.
>>
>>1288593
yeah they say norwegian or dutch are easier to learn but I never see myself living in those countries so it's a bit useless for me
>>
If you're a native English speaker, Spanish is relatively easy to learn. It's largely because both languages have a similar alphabet, follow similar grammatical rules, and share a lot of vocabulary.

That doesn't mean that it's a quick and painless process, learning any language requires commitment over time and agony in not being able to express yourself. It's just easier because it fits your current thinking and there are a lot of shared/similar words to English.

The closest language to English is Dutch, which theoretically makes it the 'easiest' to learn.
>>
>>1288605
As someone who has dabbled a little in Dutch, if you know German it's easy to pick up on, but Dutch makes up for that with pronunciation and spelling.
>>
>>1288582
Learn Italian instead. It may be less useful but it's undoubtedly more beautiful and elegant.
>>
Mucho facil
>>
>>1288582
it's easy compared to french, italian, much easier than german

after even a week you can say get by
>>
also notable is that Spanish people really don't speak much English compared to their European counterparts, and aren't very considerate about it either.
>>
>>1288848
Muy*
>>
>>1288900
This. You're gonna need to learn Spanish for any extended stay in a Spanish speaking country.
>>
sí, es muy facil... yo aprendí para hablar bien el español en solo 2 años como un estadounidense. si se utiliza duolingo, se pueda aprendar los basicos, frases utlizas, pronunciación etc. pero el mejor camino para aprendar una idioma es la imersión, por supesto.
>>
I'm a linguist. Spanish is easy is a meme. Everyone sees things differently. Half my family was born in Spain, but I've always had a difficult time learning Spanish but French always came so easily to me.

Some people might actually find Dutch easier.

You might find Spanish the easiest, but someone else might find Russian the easiest. It just depends on the person
>>
>>1288582
It depends. Which one is your mother language?
>>
I'm Catalan, speak native Spanish, and work as an English teacher.

Spanish is not easy. The grammar is quite complex and irregular, and the pronunciation is a challenge if you are an English native, even though it technically is simpler than English (less vowels, to start with).
>>
>>1288582
I'm learning Spanish now, native English speaker. I find French easier grammatically and in terms or pronunciation/shared words.
>>
Hard as fuck for an english speaker. My dad is a spanish speaking italian and tried to teach me at a young age. I have to be around it 24/7 for it to stick, otherwise I lose it quick.
>>
>>1289333
Would you happen to live in Barcelona? Know any good place to learn Spanish when you're french?
>>
>>1289407
have you ever considered the possibility that you are not quite average intelligence?

spanish is not hard by any stretch
>>
>>1289333
>the pronunciation is a challenge if you are an English native

not really... it's completely phonetic and the sounds are quite easy to make except for maybe the rolled r. i think americans are just really bad at pronunciation in foreign languages
>>
File: holy shit!.jpg (51KB, 500x689px) Image search: [Google]
holy shit!.jpg
51KB, 500x689px
My native language is Finnish and I found Spanish very easy and logical to learn. The problem with Spanish is the insane speed it is usually spoken, that's the only difficult thing I find.
>>
File: Hard-Languages-To-Learn.png (156KB, 860x3034px) Image search: [Google]
Hard-Languages-To-Learn.png
156KB, 860x3034px
I always heard Thai was the hardest language for an English speaker to learn, although this chart says otherwise.
>>
>>1288586
xaxa
>>
>>1290512
Japanese isn't as hard as they make it out to be in that chart, everything is pretty logical, the only thing is there are a lot of rules to remember. Hindi is a lot harder than they say on that chart as well, but regardless you'd need more hours than they indicate to be proficient in any of them. Magyar/Hungarian is also really hard to learn for English speakers since the closest language to it is Suomi and nothing makes sense
>>
>>1290512
That chart is a complete joke. Vietnamese in 44 weeks? Nonsense. Vietnamese people don't understand their own language if it comes from a foreigner's tongue. There's more to a language than it's structure and rules.
>>
>>1290512
Why do i find mandarin so easy?

Speaking and listening only.

To me it's like baby talk, extremely simplistic. Want this, want that, no want, don't have, have, i go work, you go work, this is what?
>>
The chart is for speaking a reading that language fluently.
>>
>>1290711
if you have an ear for tones it's not bad. if you don't it's impossible

>>1289407
yeah, but you are probably stupid. nothing is easy for dumb person
>>
This is probabpy the best topic

I am somewhere between b1 and b2 after studying chinese for a year. Is this decent progress?

I am closer to b2 for writing and closer to b1 speaking

I feel slow. Like ill always be like tgat indian or mexican speaking brokeb or incomprehensible english at the convenience store

Any feedback?
>>
>>1290686
Yeah, I'd agree if I had to learn an East Asian language, Japanese would probably come easiest to me

>>1290696
Shame on me for sharing Business Insider desu

>>1290711
>>1290737
I definitely struggle more with tonal languages, my Vietnamese is so bad I wouldn't want to risk accidentally saying some insult cause my dumb ass can't inflect
>>
Yeah. I learnt it in like 1 day but then again, I'm Portuguese.
>>
>>1289327
But French and Spanish are pretty similar. I can't imagine for an English speaking person find a real difference in difficulty
>>
>>1288610
I'll add that the Dutch accent seems to be easier for American English speakers to learn, and I've met a few Americans that emigrated to The Netherlands that had to "prove" they were American because their Dutch accent was stunningly convincing, even to the locals
>>
>>1288582

>spanish speaker here

the key to spanish is the verbs. learn how to properly conjugate the verbs and you'll be able to express yourself very preciselly

verbs in spanish convey a lot of information. with one verb you can say who is doing what and when.

ie:

comemos [now we eat]
comamos [let's eat]
comías [you used to eat]
comiste [you ate]
comerán [they will eat]
comerian [they would eat]
como [I eat]
>>
>>1290686
There is a little silver lining to that sad but true Hungarian fact: Quite a few Hungarians know English or German. When I went to Hungary, my rudimentary German actually helped quite a bit
>>
As a spanish native speaker I don't think that spanish is an easy lenguage, it has a complex grammar
>>
>>1292449
on a world scale for an english speaker there are very few easier. that is a wuantifiable fact
>>
learn french first
>>
>>1289333
Do you work in Spain or abroad?
>>
I'd say it's easy because it is phonetic. Conjugations may seem hard, but it is just a matter of keeping practicing.
Maybe the best part is that if you speak like Tarzan people will put an effort to find out what you mean, unlike in other countries and languages, where no matter what you say or how you say it they just stare at you as if you were retarded.
With all this in mind you can just learn the 100 most used words and start practicing.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.