[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to not get lonely when travelling solo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: railay.jpg (90KB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
railay.jpg
90KB, 1080x608px
Planning a 2-3 week vacation to Thailand, however I have never been outside of Europe. I also can't seem to find anyone who can go with me for either financial/work reasons. Considering going alone, however my biggest fear is that I might get lonely and won't enjoy the trip as much. I'm planning on staying in a cheap hotel/airbnb since it's dirt cheap in Thailand, and money wise it really ain't a problem for me.

I know a lot of people have said that you meet a lot of people by staying in hostels, which might be understandable but I'm reluctant to stay in a hostel because Idk if i could sleep at night in a room with 6 other random people sleeping on the bunk above me.

What do yall usually do when travelling alone? I can take care of myself no problem, just fear the trip might not be as fun as I hope if I'm there solo.

Planning on visiting Phuket, Phi Phi Islands, Railay Beach/Ao Neng and Bangkok at the end.
>>
Stay in some of the bungalows on Phi Phi and hang out in some of the beach bars. You will meet lots of people. If all else fails there are some nice Thai women who can keep you company for a fee.
>>
>>1288468
You will get lonely when you travrl solo sometimes, that is just a fact.

You will also experience alot of amazing moments with new people. Higher highs, lower lows. Just give it a try.

Hostels are great places to meet new people. And talk to people straight away, and you wont get cold feet
>>
>>1288468
You can't stop the loneliness, but it's all at the beginning and then you just get over it. It's like this excitement>loneliness>boredom>enjoying the trip

So don't worry about it, if you can't handle it, go to places that speak good english and have people who you can easily be friends with.
>>
>>1288468
If you're the type who gets lonely I would not recommend solo traveling in the first place.

That said I think /trv/ might have some potential for solving this issue, IMHO we should always have at least one thread in the catalog for meetups where people could find other anons going to the same place at the same time to join them for fun activities. Just a single thread though, I'd rather this board not go the way of /soc/.
>>
>>1288496
>If you're the type who gets lonely I would not recommend solo traveling in the first place.

What? That's exactly the reason to go. It's okay to be alone and it's liberating to realize that. There's a confidence that comes with feeling okay by yourself which ironically makes people gravitate towards you.
>>
>>1288502
>im lonely so let me travel and hope others are drawn in by my mojo

Just bring friends bro
>>
>>1288468
Sap, dude. I'm planning to visit Thai at the beginning of september for about 2 weeks. If you are still interested in travelmate, please, contact me - https://t.me/luk3skywalk3r
>>
Just find some local randos and enjoy life. You can find a woman on the drop of a hat. Just visit any bar abd say hi to people.
>>
>>1289113
find a bar you like in addition to this, near your place. don't pop in like every day though
>>
>>1288502
>>>1288496
>>If you're the type who gets lonely I would not recommend solo traveling in the first place.
>What? That's exactly the reason to go. It's okay to be alone and it's liberating to realize that. There's a confidence that comes with feeling okay by yourself which ironically makes people gravitate towards you.
Absolutely this, I am way more social when abroad, speaking my second language and away from everyday acquaintances and friends
>>
File: lo.jpg (62KB, 627x353px) Image search: [Google]
lo.jpg
62KB, 627x353px
Isn't loneliness but an absence of an illusion? Be glad.
>>
>>1289101
im in bangkok 2-7 of nov
traveling solo
>>
>>1288468
you'll be right plenty to see and do to keep busy. go on a day tour or something and meet some people otherwise after dinner head out for a drink and youll meet people
>>
File: where is my life going.png (297KB, 920x396px) Image search: [Google]
where is my life going.png
297KB, 920x396px
>>1288468
I'm exactly in your shoes OP, only I haven't ordered tickets yet. I've never traveled completely without other people - more a product of circumstance than preference - and I have no idea how I'd like it. This will also be the first time I leave for so long (will likely get calls from work after 1-2 weeks to solve shit). I'm an adult, and I am actually frightened by the thought of not having someone around to share the blame of fucking up with, or to rely on for going out - I'm not bit on going alone to bars and I'm not spontaneous enough to decide "hey, I wanna see X, that sounds cool, lets check where I can find X!".

People here keep bringing up meeting other people. I have no idea why you'd travel alone to a foreign country only to find companions there. Regardless, I would feel really, really fucking awkward just going to a bar, getting a beer alone and sitting there waiting to find someone to talk to, I'm too self-conscious and I'm a quiet person even when I drink.

Should I just say FUCK IT and throw the dice and go? Or will I just not have a good time?
>>
>>1291917
Just do it. There's so much shit to do and 2 weeks is hardly any time. As an adult you'll be able to handle it, have some faith in yourself.

You don't travel to meet people, you travel for the experiences. Meeting people along the way comes naturally.
>>
>>1288468
stay in a hostel in your own country/a country near by for 4-5 nights. you'll get used to it. staying at hostels is amazing for meeting people, i cant stress this enough. you'll meet people to give you lifts, go out with etc.
>>
>>1291924
>Meeting people ... comes naturally

NOT TO ME, ANON - NOT TO MEEEE!!!

Fucking hell. I can see it already. I'll go thinking I'm gonna go out every night and party and meet people, but since I don't know how I'll go to cafe's and read a book and go back to the hotel and cry onto my phone's screen showing 4chan. And I'll go back home disappointed.

How to meet people abroad, pls tell me I must know. I'm too fearful of just starting a chat with a complete stranger - it seems so blatantly lonely and desperate to me, but at the same time I envy people who can do it successfully.
>>
>>1291928
How old are you? Just do it ffs

You're not approaching random people from home. Ask people where they're from, what they're doing, where they're going, if they've been here etc. Chances are someone in the hostel will approach you and ask something similar or invite you out. Everyone's there for a good time, nobody gives a fuck about your issues.

If you're socially anxious travelling's one of the bets things you can do.
>>
>>1292094
>someone in the hostel
I have money, why the fuck would I stay in a hostel?
>captcha: Budget ROMA
>>
>>1288468
I always travel solo.
Just go to spa for massage and hire hookers(always short time though)
>>
>>1291928
>How to meet people abroad, pls tell me I must know
Just go to some meeting of whatever : local couchsurfing meet-ups, book readers, etc. These are event DEDICATED to meet unknown people, and nobody is gonna get bothered if you just jump in right in the middle of the conversation.

Same thing goes with the hostel lobby, just talk around. Ask what's nice to do, what the other travelers have done, where they're from.

Avoid politics and religion, unless everyone is blazed out of their mind.

Talk about shit, don't think too much. You'll sometimes sound like a creep but who gives a fuck, you and the person you speak with won't ever see each other again in a matter of days, maybe minutes. Just practice.

Remember most of the other travelers were just as shy at some point, they're not all Chads so don't worry.
>>
>>1292102
>why the fuck would I stay in a hostel?
Because you want to fuck young impressionable bitches?
>>
>>1292247
Dude prostitutes cost as low as £20.
Why would anyone want to intereact with annoying SJW roasties in cramped hostels? For £15-20 you can have decent hotel and a room for yourself.
>>
>>1292248
Roasties can be free?
>>
>>1289113
How are bars in Thailand? I imagine mostly filled with drunk tourists. Is there anything to do in them if you go alone, apart from attempting to creep up on strangers and making conversation?

also how is (are) the local beer(s)? And is alcohol relatively cheap? 'cause I need to drink like a mule to get drunk.
>>
>>1288496
This post/
>>
>>1292262
Bars are excellent in Thailand I normally start the night at a rock bar playing live music. Just have some beers or liquor there then head to another bar....
You won't get lonely. A bar girl will come and sit with you and she'll most likely want to play connect 4 or jenga's with you... You can take these girls home for 1500-3000 baht for the night.
Singha was the better beer in my opinion. Pretty cheap too depending which bar you go to generally 80-120 baht each although I found a place in Pattaya selling it for 50baht.
>>
>>1292316
>jenga
I'm terrible at jenga, so I'm not interested.
How do you tell these apart from the crowd? If a local girl steps up to me in a bar and tries to be nice, should I immediately assume she's a prostitute and shoo her away (in case I'm not interested, of course)?

Speaking of which, how are the Thai women? Obviously prostitution is huge there, but are they any good?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.