[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to move to Antartica

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: mcmurdo-from-ob-hill.jpg (302KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
mcmurdo-from-ob-hill.jpg
302KB, 800x600px
I am currently a US college student planning on going away to a state University soon in Illinois, but the Antarctic has always fascinated me

I plan on studying geology and environmental sciences, but I here in order to actually get to Antarctica you have to be hired to go there. Im wondering first how would one get a job as a field scientist or intern? I personally don't give a shit about snow or cold, I love it I'm from Chicago and was in the boy-scouts. It pains me whenever I see people complain about stuff especially the cold. I personally think it would actually be fun to dive those cold waters in a dry suit, or go out on long expeditions. I think penguins are also pretty cool, not really scared of sea lions or the ocean.

TLDR, How can I get a job in Antarctica without getting beat out by all the MIT students and scientest crew
>>
Just try as a worker. They need electricians, plumber etc. Did you ever see "Encounter at the end of the world"?
>>
http://www.jobs.net/jobs/pae/en-us/search/Antarctica/city/McMurdo-Station/?keyword=&location=

one of the best threads on this board had anons who had worked there, it's not on 4plebs anymore thoughr
>>
>>1287338
if you dont want to be a worker stay on the course of going to school but you're going to have to get even further than undergrad. Masters AT LEAST. Geology is good but drop the environmental sciences.

it's not what you think and trust me you're not gonna find much research regarding forest restoration or watershed management down there. MAYBE biodiversity but still not a good bet.

stick with the geology but honestly go for physics and look at solid state stuff. just google around for publications regarding neutrinos and all that shit.
>>
>>1287338
This is the company I applied with and interviewed with. Give them a run.

https://ghgcorp.applicantpro.com/jobs/

Just remember you wont be there for a winter your first time. You'll be there for the summer while they are trying restock everything. You will pretty much be working 7 days a week, 10+ hours a day, for 3 to 6 months depending on the position you get. Most bases you'll be working on have little to no animal life around them, and you'll most likely be indoors all day, every day. You'll probably only be able to go outside for short stints once or twice a week.
>>
You cant really move to Antarctica...eventually they'll rotate you out and bring you back to the USA. I have the same goals as you OP but I am going to take the support staff route.
>>
>>>/out/1072980
>>
>>1287338
you don't get a job there in geology unless you have a phd. I have my bachelors in geology from University of Canterbury which works alongside the antarctic research program. Theres a very limited intake course which allows you to go to antarctica over a 6 week period (maybe more). But even then you need to be a top top masters student. Its easier to find a way down through a trade.
>>
>>1287478
would disagree with dropping environmental sciences. I did geo and chemistry through undergrad and have now ended back up at uni doing water sciences/environmental management because its where the jobs (if any) are. OP needs to think beyond antarctica, that mindset is too restrictive in real life. Its a bizzare world for geologists, geographers get all the environmental jobs, civil engineers get all the geo jobs.
>>
>>1287338

when i was flying to the states last year i met a guy who had just rotated off a 6 month contract as a fireman in Antarctica. dont even need a degree. you do need to be an experienced fireman though.

the bases are actually micro towns so many trade skills are as important as the scientists producing research, you just have to be widely competent and meet their selection criteria.
>>
File: fuck you evolution dubai.jpg (57KB, 716x556px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you evolution dubai.jpg
57KB, 716x556px
>>1287338
You can "get to" Antarctica as a tourist, there are several cruise lines that run there, and last I looked there was a tour by airplane from somewhere in NZ, though it's been a few years since I looked into that.
>>
>>1287338
They make you get a pretty substantial blood test before you go to Antarctica.

Even if you have a mild condition like high blood pressure you can get black-listed.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.