[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling to the Republic of Ireland

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: ireland-flag.jpg (33KB, 390x265px) Image search: [Google]
ireland-flag.jpg
33KB, 390x265px
Hi there anons, I am going to be traveling to ireland in september for an internship (ERASMUS stuff).
I was wondering about some things:

1: How much would I spend on food monthly if I am really looking to cut the costs;

2: Since I'm into metal music, are there any venues/Bars/Pubs that I should visit?

3: Is there something that I should really know about Irish people?
>>
What city will you be staying in?
>>
Cork
>>
>>1286589
I'm going to be staying in cork
>>
jumpin in this thread cause im traveling there with a friend. Any tips for Dublin?
like the best "real" irish pub there or some good restaurants?
>>
>>1286583
1. When I was living in Cork for college a couple of years ago I would spend ~€30 a week on food, that covered every meal plus... Probably too much snacks for each week, €20-25 would be more than enough for what you'll need, could go cheaper if you need to.

2. I'm no expert on metal and was more into the alternative/indie scene, but Fred Zeppelins & Ziggys might be worth a look, An Bróg was a good spot years ago, a real dive, but now it's kinda yuppie, faux dive kind of place, if anyone says to go there just don't bother.

3. Don't take anyone too seriously, be aware of sarcasm/people just screwing with you for a laugh, we're an easy going lot really, hit people back with a good dose of sarcasm/jokes of your own and you'll be fine, being a good drinker is always a plus.
>>
>>1286828
That sounds like some great tips, what kind of food did you eat?
>>
>>1286863
I ate a good mix of basic foods depending on the week, rice, potato or pasta based dishes, usually bought chicken breasts or minced beef and made something with that, cottage pie, lasagne or carbonara/bolognese can be cheaper to make than you'd think, I also ate a shitload of junk food.
>>
>>1286970
Yeah, I usually cook for myself, I was really worried about food prices there, my budget is not that big
>>
File: oliv.jpg (40KB, 506x342px) Image search: [Google]
oliv.jpg
40KB, 506x342px
>>1286822
I once in a joking mood asked a bar tender in Dublin where I could find a "Irish Bar". His response was "Ya see those Nachos you're eating? Those ingrediants are from Ireland, it was made by an Irishman in this Irish bar, as we listen to Ke$ha on my Irish Radio. This is as Irish as it gets."

There are of course many of the "traditonal" Irish Pubs that cater to the tourists scattered throughout all of Ireland. But in my experience, find out where the locals drink instead. Its a more chill atmosphere that allows you to get a authentic feel of actually spending time with the locals then trying to find an attraction.

That said, I know of at least one really good "Irish" pub in Dublin that plays live music and serves traditional food. Its a little pricy though. It's St. Johns Gogarty. The place gets packed fast though, so beware of that if you want to go with a group.
>>
>>1286822
Brogans beside the Olympia theatre and O'Donaghues have the best pints of Guinness in Dublin
>>
>>1286583
i go to college in that city and its full of trendies.
Buying into the latest doughnut/ noodle trend.
The Rock is a really nice place, sometimes they do this thing called a "GAA Colours night" which is a really hip new metal sound coming out of Cork.
>>
I'm looking to go in November and try to land a restaurant job in Dublin. Any tips or courses I could do beforehand?
I also am looking at shared accommodations w/ others foreigners and they're all in the range of €300. Any recommendations to get it cheaper than that?
>>
OP here.
I am a bit dark of colour and I have a beard. I'm afraid to be mistaken by an arab. Would that be a problem? (I'm from Portugal)
>>
>>1288915
The only problem is that you won't be mistaken as a local, I went a couple years ago and thankfully I have an Irish name and look Irish, but my accent is cajun. So i got a lot of locals to think I just moved away, and they were a lot more friendly that way then when they didn't know where I was from.
>>
>>1286583
You can use Aldi/Lidl for cheap fruit/veg/bread, it's not that expensive to eat healthily on a budget.

>Is there something that I should really know about Irish people?

The Cork accent is not representative of the rest of the country.
>>
>>1286828
>An Bróg was a good spot years ago
Seconding this. It's 10 Euro to get in. Seems up its own ass. Also avoid Voodoo Bar. 10 Euro.

Preacher's is cool. There's sometimes live bands. Check out Rising Sons Brewery. 10 Euro pizza & pint. No live music though.
>>
>>1286828
>, €20-25 would be more than enough for what you'll need, could go cheaper if you need to.

If you eat shit and hang about until it goes into the cheapie aisle... Maybe.
>>
>>1288915
Generally no.
>>
>>1286822
>some good restaurants?
This is my favorite Temple Bar area restaurant...and will give you a taste for all the good things to be found in Ireland in food culture from farm to table veggies, artisan cheese, fresh shellfish, and the boxty! Good dessert.

http://boxtyhouse.ie/
>>
>>1290681
>>1286822

I spent two weeks in Dublin a few years ago, went to Boxty House twice. It was pretty awesome. Some friends I was with wouldn't even try it tho. They ended up eating at the Hard Rock cafe +5 times while we were there.

I remember right nearby was a joint called Elephant & Castle. I think it's actually a chain but they Might've had the best wings I've eaten in my life at the time.
>>
>>1286583
3: Is there something that I should really know about Irish people?

They are the niggers of white people, shit half of them are worst.
>>
>>1288915
shave your beard dude. Bam, instantly removes your looking like an arab.
>>
>>1291443
You're my kind of traveler. Good for you to getting to go twice!

OP, thinking of good food. Pubs aren't synonymous for "restaurant" like that, and if they do serve food might not be the best option either. If anything they can hardly have food, maybe a couple specials of the day, or maybe just potato chips, seriously. Look at all your options and move to the pub idea when it is just about getting boozed up and chatting with locals.

>>1293242
>Is there something that I should really know about Irish people?
I have no idea how they feel about Spaniards, but they are really kind towards Americans. Very easy going and polite. Do not engage in political talk, or start any conversation that compares countries, which is common sense etiquette. City folk are different, but they should be pretty damn warm in Cork.

OP, go to mass. This will give you community to mingle with the rest of the week.
>>
>>1291443
>I remember right nearby was a joint called Elephant & Castle. I think it's actually a chain but they Might've had the best wings I've eaten in my life at the time.
I had the best pizza of my life...in Mexico City when I was about 18. It can happen when farm to table is involved that awesome meals stick in the brain like that. Fresh cheese...or fresh chicken?
>>
>>1293297
I will look like a baby, not even kidding. I have baby face syndrome.
Kek
>>
>>1289663
Voodoo is good craic
>>
>>1293745

Go to fionn bara's and coughlans. They are chill and have that old school irish bar to it.

If the wanna try a funny har har har paddy pub but not really. Go to the castle bar. Its hilarious. There are 4 taps. 3 are stout and the other is heniken. You can also by a bit of snuff tobacoo
>>
Bumping on this bitch.
How long will it take me to find a room in a shared house/flat in Dublin right after arriving/finding a job in the city?
>>
Where do I visit other than Dublin? I've never heard anyone talk about any other place.
>>
>>1293242

>They are the niggers of white people, shit half of them are worst.

Couldn't agree more. I'm currently living in Limerick (AKA The Stab City) and knackers are everywhere, bunch os pos
>>
Sharing my favorite place in RoI: Malin Head.

It's the northernmost point on the island. You can take a bus from Derry through the Inishowen Peninsula. There's a nice holiday hostel there with rooms from €15, at least when I was there a few years ago. Beautiful, rugged, spectacular cliffs and beaches. It's also where they filmed part of the upcoming Star Wars, so it may have become touristy since then.

Donegal in general is my favorite county.
>>
Remember to great people with Tiocfaidh ár lá.

Attempts at using the Irish language are always appreciated.
>>
>>1296552

What's the point? Not even Irish people speak the Irish language.
>>
Irishman here

>>1286822

Just ask someone your own age where's good. Most "traditional" bars are just plastic tourist traps.

>>1288779

Sorry to burst your bubble man, but there's a housing crisis on right now. Billionaire developers bought up half the country during the recession and now, you haven't A NOTION of getting anywhere in Dublin for less than 500e a month. I'm from Galway where it's not nearly as busy as Dublin (but a much much much nicer town) and it'd be impossible to get a place here for 300e. I'd up my rent budget to 600 if you have your heart set on Dublin

>>1288915

Not at all. We're one of the less racist places in Europe. AFAIK, we're the only country in the EU that doesn't have a fascist party in parliament.

>>1288983

To be honest, there's nothing Irish people hate more than yanks trying to pretend they're Irish. There's nothing wrong with being from somewhere else, but the first thing I hear off every American I meet is how they have some Irish heritage and it's just like "Ugh...whatever...we don't care about your little quest of self-discovery and reflection". Sorry to sound harsh, but I've genuinely been told about ancestry by about 200 different Americans over my 30 years

The main pieces of advice I would give to anyone coming to Ireland is to get the fuck out of Dublin as soon as you can, it's a toilet. Go to literally any other town in Ireland. Drink in your house/hostel/hotel and then go to the pubs around 11, drink is very very expensive here. Don't leave out the north/Northern Ireland, it's not dangerous anymore and it's probably the most politically interesting place in the country. Don't try to convince the Irish people you meet that you're one of their long lost forgotten children, just be yourself. Don't get one of them stupid fuckin hats. Guinness is fuckin SICK, have one pint for the sake of it, and then switch to something that doesn't taste like wet bread
>>
>>1296621
>get the fuck out of Dublin as soon as you can, it's a toilet. Go to literally any other town in Ireland.
Care to ellaborate?
>>
>>1296656
small town folk don't like the big city
>>
>>1286583
Where is the best place in Ireland to dig for Emeralds?
>>
Aran islands are cool. Worth a visit.
>>
>>1296733

Johannesburg
>>
File: Barrett 2.jpg (42KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Barrett 2.jpg
42KB, 512x512px
>>1296621
>To be honest, there's nothing Irish people hate more than yanks trying to pretend they're Irish.

I'm Irish and you don't speak for me. The way we treat our diaspora is shameful to be honest. Fake "Paper Irish" Nigerians are treated as one of us yet we show contempt towards Irish-Americans who have genuine ties to our country.
>>
>>1296618
>What's the point? Not even Irish people speak the Irish language.
"Tiocfaidh ár lá" means "our day will come". It's typically a nationalist/IRA saying and not something tourists should be saying to random people.
>>
>>1297117
>>1297117
your pm is a faggot indian

makes me vomit in ny mouth
>>
>>1286822
The Cobblestone. Look for it. Nice music everyday, if you're into folk.
>>
>>1286583
Don't know about Cork, but in Dublin there's the Fibber Magee's. Loads of heavy/rock gigs.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.