[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turkey- Open to options

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Istanbul.jpg (79KB, 900x463px) Image search: [Google]
Istanbul.jpg
79KB, 900x463px
>20
>American born with slavic roots
>Can't afford rent and food in my own country(SF Bay Area specifically) working full time
>ffs just trying to build a company to change the world's housing situation over here
>Scour craigslist cause where tf else would I look
>Find listing in Turkey for a position working ~30 hours a week as an English teacher
>Eskisehir
>k

Tell me what Turkey is like in general! Or Eskisehir if you know of it. Cultural tips. Laws to be aware of. Women. Food. Anything else my naive ass should be aware of? Any hidden treasures to be found?

I'm particularly interested in the history and ancient sites available to witness. Apart from the cave systems and some old walls left in the hills there are not many places older than 200 years in California.

Previously looked into Slovenia for substantially cheaper university. (Would be about $200 000 in debt if i went to my American university of choice)

What's particularly attractive to me is the fact that I could reasonably afford to live in an apartment on the salary potentially offered by the school. 3800 turkish lira/ month
Here's the listing:
https://istanbul.craigslist.com.tr/edu/d/full-time-teaching-positions/6254968321.html?lang=en&cc=us

This would be shit all money in my home, but in Turkey I could actually live on this. I just don't specifically see how I could advance my career and aspirations here short of making some diamond level connections.

Also looking into becoming an American Diplomat solely because it would provide food and accomodation. Goddamn it though I just want to be able to support myself and refine modern building technique/community design with natural and earthen building materials.

>Wants to save/enhance the world
>Open to options and suggestions.

Other than that, how are Americans viewed in Turkey outside the capital? People with Slavic heritage?
>>
I'm moving to Eskişehir next year to do much the same thing - I'm Australian though, and teaching at Anadolu University.
Job options in Turkey are limited for outsiders - the preference will usually be to give citizens non English integral jobs over foreigners.
I speak Turkish so I have slightly more opportunities, interpreter, translator etc. If you don't have a university degree (of any sort) expect to be regularly passed over for teaching positions.

I'm not sure what it's like in the US but entering the diplomatic service is hugely competitive and takes more than saying "I'd like to be a diplomat."
If you're serious about living there for an extended period, learn the language, make connections (Eskişehir is a relatively major academic hub) but don't count on doing much socio economic advancing unless you're very talented or very lucky.
>>
Hey guys,
Welcome to Turkey. Eskişehir is a nice place, mostly filled with Crimean Tatars and students who come there for university. Its a pretty decent city, bike roads and trams etc. Very green too, it has many parks.

Thots love expats, you'll get p$$y for sure ;_;

Btw compare prices of phones and maybe bring iphones etc here to make profit?
>>
By the way, Anatolia is full of history. Rome, Byzantium, Seljuks, Turkish beyliks, Ottomans.. Eskişehir is connected to İstanbul and Ankara via a "high speed train" that goes around 250 km/h, so there are many options for you if you want to discover. Good luck, bruh.
>>
"Embrace the culture. Don't go hunting for fellow Americans. Life's an adventure, so just take it as it comes.

I know I'm not giving much solid advice, but to be honest, you can't describe it...

Go experience the culture. Some of it will leave you scratching your head, but that's the beauty of it!"

This is what my British friend said.
>>
One last thing. We don't use shoes inside our homes, it might be strange for you. You'll probably have no trouble making friends as long as you're not a (((Syrian))). We love visitors, expats because Turkish culture is full of hospitality and we're curious about the reasons of you living here.
>>
>>1286451

I'm not trying to be a wanker, but have you contacted the school or found out what sorts of requirements they have for prospective teachers?

If they're willing to pay for your work permit and are negotiating yearly contracts, I have to imagine they must expect applicants to be qualified.

Do you have a college degree, teaching experience, or a CELTA? Have you ever lived abroad? Did you even apply for the position?

I wouldn't get worked up about a potential job unless you actually have an offer in hand.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude, but this strikes me as one of those runaway fantasy sorts of threads.

Like the first Anon said, diplomatic postings aren't necessarily easy to obtain.

What I'm getting at is this: do you have any of the requisite experience to do any of what you're asking /trv/, or did you just get an idea into your head and are fantasizing about running away from your problems without any workable action plan?

I'm all for moving abroad and exploring your passions and shit, but I'm not getting the impression that you know what you're getting yourself into (which may not be anything more than 'immediate rejection due to having zero qualifications and/or relevant job experience').
>>
>>1287621
I have yet to meet a Turk that is not trying to scam me. When I pay I usually say something like this: here is a 100 lira so you give me 90 liras back. And they ALWAYS short change me regardless of how cautious I sound.
Honestly, I hope I'm wrong, but I wish Turkish hospitality is a real thing. But I'm not going to Turkey any time soon.
>>
>>1287737

I made the post above you.

Turkey was the first country I ever visited.

I never had any problems with people trying to scam me. I think about the worst that happened in the month and a half I spent there was a street vendor giving me $.50 in change back in Albanian lek.

Otherwise I didn't run into any trouble. I traveled all around the country, too - I was in Istanbul during the Gezi Park protest, as well as Izmir. Hit up Bodrum, Pamukkale, Adana, Diyarbakir, Van, Erciş. Ankara, Hopi, and ton of other places.

Most people in most of Turkey were very hospitable, especially when I tried hitchhiking in the Southeast. The owner of a cafe and hotel force-fed me a meal and tea and refused payment; people routinely asked me if I wanted to spend a night at their homes, and were always quite generous with the simplest requests.

I've since found people in Mexico and Colombia to be nicer (as in, most everyone I interacted with just seemed fucking authentically kind), but Turks are definitely near the top in terms of hospitality and willingness to accommodate foreigners.

I do have a friend from Russia who's a member of the country's Ahiska minority (Turks who were caught off from the Ottoman Empire and absorbed by Russia, but still retained their language and religion). He found a lot of Turks were either condescending or considered him their 'brother,' despite general Turkish indifference to their plight for decades (Ahiska Turks were deported all around the Soviet Union and routinely denied citizenship in Russia, even into the 21st Century).
>>
>>1287737
Have you ever been to Turkey? This is probably a disapora problem. I moved to Turkey to 9 months ago, and the occasional taxi driver aside, no-one's ever tried to scam me. Almanca may be different
>>
a bit stabby
>>
>>1286451
>Previously looked into Slovenia for substantially cheaper university.

It costs around 3k a year (2 semesters) for foreigners, even Michael Moore interview some lads over here. Just a heads up.
>>
>>1287737
Well, I apologize on their behalf. Amk şerefsizleri.
>>
By the way, I know a Californian expat living in Ankara. I can make you two have contact if you need it.
>>
>>1287856
not a diaspora problem

they are well behaved anywhere they will get stabbed for ripping someone off or thrown in prison for committing crime

they are poorly behaved in places where they can get away with it

not rocket science
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.