[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In June or July I want to go to Portugal. The plan right now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: portugal.gif (12KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
portugal.gif
12KB, 400x240px
In June or July I want to go to Portugal. The plan right now is to fly into Porto, then travel to Coimbra, then Lisbon. I want to spend a day or two in each city, I would be staying in hostels, and I would be traveling via eurorail. This would be my first time traveling by myself, and my first time in Portugal (of course, my first time in Europe as well). Native English speaker, intermediate Spanish speaker (hopefully advanced by the time of the trip), and I just started Portuguese...Realistically I'll still be a beginner when I get there.

Can anyone offer any advice? Any good hostels in any of these cities that you would personally recommend? Any other cities I should hit on the way from Porto to Lisbon, or in Spanish land above Portugal?

Thanks.
>>
>>1284665
Like history?
Conimbriga.
Sintra is fantastic too.
>>
>>1284665
Portugal vs Spain. Which is the better Iberian travel experience?

I do know some Spanish, enough to read and get the idea; but to be honest my Spanish knowledge is so little that acting as if it would be a huge benefit in conversation with the locals is pointless.
>>
>>1284665
Just use English, if you aren't from a Spanish speaking country and you use Spanish to a Portuguese person to communicate it is offensive. When I was talking to older people and realized they didn't speak a lick of English (my native language too) I would say something in Spanish so they would get the gist of it.

Aside from that, there is quite a high proficiency of English in the country for being in Southern Europe.

Baixa Guest House is a cheap hostel in a really good location in Lisbon where u can get a private room. I stayed there when I visited. The owner is pretty nice, will give u a map and go over it with you to get u acclimated.

I stayed in a shitty area location wise in Porto so I cant really give u advice where to stay there. If you're partying along the river be careful walking back up to the city by the main cathedral cause the neighborhoods there are really sketchy for European standards.

I'd just spend a day in Coimbra, it is a really nice city but it is small and I think it would be better for you to spend an extra day in Lisbon and take a day trip to Sintra.

I think you'll have fun and imo Portugal is a good starter country for traveling by yourself. As a matter of fact it was the country that I went to on a whim by myself that gave me the travel bug.
>>
>>1284674
Spain has more to see and has better infrastructure but Portuguese ppl are cooler and have more time for tourists. Every night I went out in Lisbon I had no problem meeting locals to have a fun night with and I am quite a reserved person. I've done this in Spain too but it didn't happen every time.

Also Spanish ppl cant speak English worth a shit even young ppl if you dont have a working knowledge of Spanish youre gonna be socially isolated to mostly interacting with other tourists
>>
>>1284698
>Just use English
yeah that's what I've heard, I just included the bit about Spanish in case anyone had recommendations for any places in Spain north of Portugal. Thanks for all the advice!
>>
>>1284667
Seconding Sintra, also Tomar (you can get a bus from Lisbon).

Portugal is a major tourist destination and you will be just fine with English. Learn a few Portuguese phrases to be polite.
>>
>>1284699
Spain it is. Thanks guys!
>>
>>1284802
Tomar is awesome
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.