[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trip to Shenzhen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: shenzhen-dongmen-009[1].jpg (132KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
shenzhen-dongmen-009[1].jpg
132KB, 750x563px
My wife made very good friends with a foreign student in college. As a gift, I want to send her to visit her friend in Shenzhen. Anything to consider? From what I've read, the place seems pretty upscale for china, and thanks to her friend, she'll have a room and local guide. Anything to watch out for? Anything that's must see/do/eat? The wife is black. I'm guessing they're treated the same as any other foreigner, but I confess ignorance. Is that something that needs to be taken into account?
>>
Ask for some souvenirs. The latest thing I got from Shenzhen that I love is a portable solar USB charger, works so good!
If she has someone to hang out with, she's gonna enjoy it a lot. I enjoy the architecture in that area, the airport already I really liked.
I guess your wife's friend is best suited to pen an itinerary. I don't know her interests. At any rate, make room for all the nice Chinese crap she's gonna come back with.
>>
File: infinite-hard-drive[1].jpg (133KB, 550x567px) Image search: [Google]
infinite-hard-drive[1].jpg
133KB, 550x567px
>>1284167
I've heard that Shenzhen has a very impressive consumer electronics market. I've also heard it has a lot of this bullshit.

>Her interests
Music, clothing, and an insatiable hunger for Chow Mein. Might be her favorite food after an In-n-Out double double. If we go out for Chinese, it is very rare she orders anything else. Do native Chinese even eat that shit?
>>
I'll be frank with you Chinese are sometimes a bit prejudiced against black people. I would cross the border at Lo Wu several times a month when I was an expat in HK and black people (often Nigerian business men) were always kept longer at the immigration counters, their stuff more thoroughly checked at the customs and so on. I was in Fuzhou last month and things haven't changed really.
She shouldn't take it too personally I believe this comes from several waves of illegal immigrants trying to establish in China.
Other than that I would advise her to go visit a spa with her friend, I believe she won't be offered the same extra services as a man, but the actual spas are extremely enjoyable.
Lo Wu station also has a huge shopping mall filled with bootleg electronics, accessories and stuff. Worth a visit imo.
Also if she has never been and won't have a chance to go again, then I'd say a couple of days in HK could be great. Mainlanders enjoy it to so her friend could take her.
>>
>>1284163
She might feel like a bit of a freak show because the Chinese will stare at her like she is an escaped ape, but no harm will come of her.
btw whats does your wife son think of this?
>>
>>1284419
Our daughter is not yet 2.
>>
>>1284163
Don't send your nigger to asia. Asians really don't like blacks and she will be discriminated against.

American blacks are notoriously uppity and offended by perceived discrimination, and the chinese will give 0 fucks.
>>
>>1285010
I'm aware of friction between Asian-Americans and blacks. Do native Han even give a shit?
>>
>>1285037
Star wars 7 didn't advertise Finn at all in Asia.
>>
>>1285037
>Do native Han even give a shit?

Give a shit? No. They won't give a shit when they deny her service or take pictures of her.
>>
>>1284167
That charger sounds pretty cool but the ones I've seen online were expensive or of questionable quality.

Did you buy that from one of their malls or some sort of souvenir stall on the side of the road? Please share name of store, I will be there soon myself.
>>
>>1284390
>black people (often Nigerian business men) were always kept longer at the immigration counters
This is true. I cross Lo Wu often and even last week this African American business man was given a hard time even with his M visa, he smiled at me and said even when they're nice, they're a pain in the ass.
>>
>>1284390

Can confirm. Even back in 2008 prior to the Olympics there was growing number of "melanin enhanced persons" showing up, usually under the pretences of being students, but mostly for shonky business or general scumbaggery, usually targeting foreign visitors around Sanlitun. I witnessed the cops coralling a bunch of them and kicking / whacking with batons the whole mob before they were thrown into vans & hauled off.
>>
send her to guangzhou so she can see how free people are without needing to overcome white oppression

in fact, leave her there
>>
>>1285292
You've made some unfounded assumptions, friend.
>>
>>1285319
our countries are flooded full of assumptions. just be glad that my side isn't threatening riots if our demands aren't made into policy... yet.... "friend"
>>
>>1284163
I just got back from Shenzhen (and surrounding areas) this morning and I've been to China a few times now, so here's some Shenzhen and general China tips.

Shenzhen is not all that interesting of a place to visit compared to a lot of China, it is a new city (~35 years old) so you're basically left with food, shopping and massage.
The urban planning for Shenzhen is pretty bad, so taxi is your best bet for transport if you aren't staying in Futian CBD area.. only ever use official taxis and don't follow anyone offering to "get you a taxi".

The food in Shenzhen can be good, but it's basically a mix of foods from all over china and doesn't really follow the same traditional cuisines you see in surrounding cities like HK and Guangzhou. Some of the street food is ok and restaurants are fairly hygienic so getting sick isn't too much of a concern there.

Don't expect anyone to speak English besides hotel staff and some hawkers or sales people in department stores and starbucks etc, take destinations written in Chinese from Hotel staff for taxis, use body language and gesture to things to want to buy from locals.

In regards to race, I don't know to be honest.. I'm white but I've never heard any of my Chinese friends be racists towards anyone other than Japanese and Koreans.
Don't be loud and obnoxious about how "weird" or "gross" you perceive things to be, also expect to be ripped off a lot including by your guide if you don't understand the price haggling and other cultural differences in China.

Also, pickpockets are rife in Shenzhen, a friend who is living there told me it's been getting really bad lately. So keep wallets and phones in front pockets and don't carry all of your cash and cards on you.
Other than that China is extremely safe and there is no violent crimes that any foreigners need to worry about.

If you go to Shenzhen I would strongly recommend spending at least a few days in Hong Kong.

If you have any specific questions let me know
>>
>>1285331
There you go again. What do you think her "side" is? Because it sure as hell isn't some banshee in Baltimore lighting dumpster fires. Like the majority of black people, she's fiercely American, she has little animosity for white folks, and she thinks OJ did it. The side you're referring to is loud, not large.

>>1285339
Thanks. I will pass that along.
>>
>>1285352
keep curious george from grabbing any guns and it should be fine
>>
>>1285366
No need. I've provided her with her own.
>>
>>1285037
>Do native Han even give a shit?
No, not really.
There's a bit of flack in Guangzhou and a few other big cities sometimes because the street-level drug dealers are usually black but it doesn't apply to women I don't think. Guangzhou has shitloads of illegal immigrants from Africa who overstayed tourist visas or whatever to do import business, people are a bit sick of that but that doesn't apply to Shenzhen I don't think and it's not universal in GZ either.

Honestly, most of the black guys I know here in China have Chinese girlfriends, I haven't heard any of them complaining. I *have* heard them say that they're freer from race issues in China than in USA.
>>
>>1285393
Oh yeah, I know a shitload of black girls who are English teachers, they all seem to have a great time. Some from Africa (Camaroon mostly, native speakers), USA or even places like Trinidad.
>>
>>1284163
Welcahm to unuthuh videeOH!
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.