[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Great American Solar Eclipse 8-21-17

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 31

File: eclipse.png (744KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
eclipse.png
744KB, 1000x563px
Who /eclipse/ here? Let's keep this one alive.

Where are you going? What's your game plan?

Links:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/eclipse2017_main.htm

http://abcnews.go.com/US/best-us-cities-watch-2017-total-solar-eclipse/story?id=48908409

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/07/27/the-sights-safety-and-science-of-the-great-american-eclipse/#53a4eae55280

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/some-pretty-cool-science-is-gonna-happen-during-the-eclipse/
>>
>>1283397
I'm gonna be in Florida before it and I'm hoping to hitch hike to a good spot in the center. If anybody wants to meet up let me know. Not sure what nearby state would be good...
>>
OP here

My gf and I are driving from LA to West Idaho with a detour to Mammoth Lakes (there's a restaurant there she really likes). We're staying at airbnbs. 2 of our airbnb places in Idaho are right on a river or creek. Our place in McCall is huge but its in the suburbs/woods.

The day of the eclipse we'll be in a super small town right in the center line.

I'm looking forward to doing some jet skiing on Payette Lake the day after the eclipse.

We'll leave LA the Friday before the eclipse and come home Saturday, hopefully in time for Floyd/Conor.
>>
I'm going to Tennessee with the gf should be fun. Does anyone know when the next big eclipse in the USA is going to happen?
>>
File: 1500213786137.jpg (26KB, 506x960px) Image search: [Google]
1500213786137.jpg
26KB, 506x960px
>>1283397

I'm in Nashville, WOOOOO I GET TO SEE ONE BEFORE I DIE!!!YAY
>>
>>1284096
Next total solar eclipse for the US is April 8, 2024. After that, March 30, 2033, but totality is only visible from Alaska for that one.
>>
Gonna be in Highlands, NC. We're told to expect something crazy like 70,000 people by friends from work.
>>
Apparently there are wildfires in Oregon and Idaho that might fuck up my visibility

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article165871447.html

>Wildfire smoke from around the Northwest reduced visibility in Boise to less than 2 miles over the weekend. The winds aloft are currently too weak to push the smoke out of the Treasure Valley, and forecasters have no idea if that will change by Aug. 21.

>“It’s simply too far out,” said Les Colin, lead forecaster at the National Weather Service in Boise.

>Next week, meteorologists will have a much better idea of how things might play out, he said. Colin noted that are a number of variables: Firefighters could get a handle on existing fires but new fires could fill the air with smoke, and wind patterns could shift.
>>
File: missile eclipse.jpg (205KB, 2124x1124px) Image search: [Google]
missile eclipse.jpg
205KB, 2124x1124px
Flying in from the UK for this, might cry if it's cloudy in Missouri on the day
>>
>>1284091
10/10 plan

Wish i could go to maneur national park or whtever in oregon but cant make it back in time for work fuck
>>
File: I88ebVK.jpg (166KB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
I88ebVK.jpg
166KB, 4032x2268px
I'm up in Michigan. Money is tight, so I was thinking about just driving down to see the eclipse and driving back right after it. Is this advisable? It's an 8 hour drive each way. Do you guys think that it would even be worth 16 hours of driving and gas? Of course I would be going by my own too because not only do I have no friends but I doubt anyone would want to do it anyway. With my luck I will drive 8 hours and it will be cloudy. Although I would be able to check a weather report before I leave, so that makes it pretty flexible.
>>
Turns out the eclipse maps could be off by as much as a mile. Interesting article here.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article166457627.html
>>
>>1286558

It's absolutely worth a 16hr drive

Prepare for traffic jams though
>>
How are you guys gonna look at it? Do I need to make something or can I buy a viewer?
>>
File: 1188762328519.gif (1MB, 720x494px) Image search: [Google]
1188762328519.gif
1MB, 720x494px
Flying home to Nebraska for it. Super psyched. Lincoln doesn't get the longest totality, but I *guess* I can deal with a wolf only swallowing the sun for like 1:45 and not 2:15.
>>
>>1286783
I bought these bad boys but theyre sold out so I cant link them
>>
>>1286845
>Dat return date after the eclipse

I feel like they didn't think that one through.
>>
>>1286558
I am in Michigan too probably going to Kentucky to view. There's room on the back of my bike if you wanna join
>>
>>1284183
Nice. I'm near Nashville. One of the few times something big is in Tennessee
>>
I'm in Arizona so there's fuck all I can do. I'm not flying out to Oregon for one event and that's probably the closet place for me to go. I'll just hope it's a good view from here
>>
>>1286887

A partial eclipse is nothing. There's another total in 2024 but aside from that, you'll have to go to Bali, Iceland, Australia or Japan to see another totality in your lifetime.
>>
File: vic in shop.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
vic in shop.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1286857
Have you mapped out your journey yet? Do you know exactly where you want to end up. I'm not sure where I should stop. I guess anywhere goes, but I'm curious what other people are doing.

It would be nice if I had a friend or someone to drive with. Oh well, this is what happens when you have no friends.
>>
One week. Get hype. I'm currently getting my vehicle prepped: oil change, coolant flush, tire rotation.

My glasses were removed off amazon. I called and bitched and they gave me a refund. I'm 90% sure they're safe though.
>>
File: 1499723399807.jpg (196KB, 808x805px) Image search: [Google]
1499723399807.jpg
196KB, 808x805px
So scared of clouds lads
>>
I'm driving down from Raleigh to Monck's Corner, SC. It's about a 3.5 hour drive. I'm not a fan of SC, but hopefully I can find some farmland or field or something where I can pull over and see the eclipse for 3 minutes.
>>
>>1287953
same happened to us, except we didn't even ask for a refund
check with https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters
>>
Anyone know a good spot in SC for this? I'm >>1283881
>>
File: 1474153438399.jpg (57KB, 960x830px) Image search: [Google]
1474153438399.jpg
57KB, 960x830px
>live only a few hours from path of totality
>good time for a family trip to witness this rare event
>lodging and glasses arranged online couple weeks ago
>purchased 2 extra glasses in store
I wish that was the end of the greentext.

>parents received email that glasses were removed from amazon
>local retailers ran out of stock of legitimate glasses
>online retailers have jacked up the prices and shipping estimates are cutting close to the trip
>first parent does not see it worthwhile trying to deal with the online gamble
>second parent wants to travel part of the distance to gamble with acquiring the glasses at a community event that has a limited supply and is located an hour outside the path of totality
>time is running out for them to make a decision
I'm done. I've helped them a bit with planning the trip, but there isn't anything else I can do. At this point, my preference would be to let them take the two glasses and travel the full distance to a national park while they still have some energy left and let me and my siblings do our own thing. By the next event, I should be free from the bonds of NEET life and planning the trip for the wife and kids (I hope).
>>
File: 4542777.jpg (81KB, 800x778px) Image search: [Google]
4542777.jpg
81KB, 800x778px
>>1288030
Triangle rep
>>
File: 1341020778478.jpg (53KB, 155x200px) Image search: [Google]
1341020778478.jpg
53KB, 155x200px
So i just found out i cant rent a car today because im not 25. My plans just got a whole lot different. Anyone know of a cheap and quiet/not a bad area place i could see it from in Tennessee? Train and bus tickets to nashville are like 200 or 300 bucks one way, but i saw they can be like half the price if you go to other places in Tennessee. Really need some advice here because i feel like this plan will soon be completely fucked.
>>
File: 1502040422412.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1502040422412.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>live in an area where I can see it
Whos flyover now
>>
Where is the best place to see it within reasonable driving distance from North Carolina?
>>
>>1284091
Which restaurant? I'm in mammoth on a regular basis and I'm curious.
>>
>>1288248
I'm from NC and I'm going to Tennessee but your best bet is the towns on the tip of the state or find a national/state park out there and camp
>>
>>1288265
Petra's
>>
>>1286887
I'm in Mesa and driving to Nebraska for it, where you at?
>>
>75% totality at my town

just another reason to end it lads
>>
File: TSE2017_Tennessee.jpg (1MB, 2000x949px) Image search: [Google]
TSE2017_Tennessee.jpg
1MB, 2000x949px
>>1288205
>>
Will be driving down to somewhere in Nebraska. Total eclipse is about 6-8 hour drive depending where I go. Nowhere planned yet. Thinking just finding a township country road. Probably just sleeping in my car nearby on Sunday night
>>
Leaving vancouver B.C friday night and heading to a campground around shelton that night. Next morning were going to drive down the oregon coast and find an open site(or crown land if there's any) and camp. Sunday we're going to go to Bend oregon and get drunk as fuck off some good ol deschutes river sourced craft beer, camp wherever the hell we can find a spot. Monday morning hike to three fingered jack and see this glorious eclipse. high tail it up to hanford to see some nuclear waste zones then check out leavenworth and connect back with the I-5 near snohomish and hope the boarder isn't clogged to shit. How many people are expected to make it out for these shenanigans?

I'm kind of hoping it's a bit smokey so I can stare at the sun a bit easier.
>>
driving from eastern iowa down to southern illinois. bout to eat about 5g of mushrooms and rejoice at the coming of the age of aquarius
>>
>>1288626
Shit plan.

>>1288648
Good plan.
>>
>>1288648
almost successful troll/10

i thought you were serious until the last line.
>>
>>1287968
I remember almost everytime something interesting happened, fucking clouds appeared.
>>
I'm heading up to Casper real early in the morning on the 21st. Coming in from Denver, hoping to find a nice lonely highway to watch it from. Going to pack a nice picnic and maybe some wine or beer to enjoy my lunch with.

There are a few lonely roads I got in mind right now. I'm hoping the people that live on those properties don't give me too much hassle for being there for the viewing.
>>
>>1288960
>Coming in from Denver, hoping to find a nice lonely highway to watch it from.
I laugh at you morons that have this stupid plan.
>>
>>1288960
>on an interstate
>almost exactly midline of the eclipse
>4 hours or less away for 3 million people
>thinking you'll find solitude and won't piss off the locals
so have you done NO research?
>>
>>1288969
He's a piece of shit moron. Let him dig his own grave. Stupid people deserve misery.
>>
>>1288969
>>1288967
>>1288971

There's literally hundreds of miles of open interstate in the path of totality. I think it's possible to find a spot to park fellas.
>>
>>1288974
First it was a "longely higheay," now it's an interstate.

Sounds like you havent put much thought into this. Seems like you're not capable of thinking critically.
>>
>>1288974
i wouldn't be surprised if 1,000,000 people go to wyoming for the eclipse. say there's 1000 miles of highway in totality.

(1000 miles x 5280 feet)/1000000 people = 1 person every 5 feet. and it's not like private individuals in wyoming are notorious for wanting to be left alone and defending their property, or anything.

have fun with your delusion of a private picnic in the meantime. :)
>>
File: waiting game.png (27KB, 1036x312px) Image search: [Google]
waiting game.png
27KB, 1036x312px
I saw a mention somewhere of shipping online with B&H and placed an order. The company did receive a shipment of glasses yesterday, but also changed online ordering to in-store pickup only.
If any anons in the NYC area still need glasses, consider checking it out before they run out of stock.
>https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1353642-REG/lunt_solar_systems_lseglasses5_solar_eclipse_viewing_glasses.html
>>
How's the forecast looking for your viewing spots? Central Missouri is likely to have thunderstorms in the afternoon.
>>
>>1288091
It will follow a line from Greenville or just south to Columbia, then on down towards Charleston.

Forecast for much of the area calls for scattered t-storms, so be ready to move out from under one.

You'll get around 2 minutes 15 seconds of totality at your average totality spot in SC, much longer than that as it approaches and then the moon moves on. Totality passes Greenville around 2:30 pm, slightly later as you go east.

Hotels in Columbia are petty solidly booked, I got something in Greenville a month back.

Google "projecting eclipse with binoculars" for how to use binoculars (do NOT look through them at the sun) to project the solar disk so you can look at it without the goofy goggles -- once it is total you can look directly at it, no problem. Google "pinhole camera eclipse" if you do not on binoculars.
>>
>>1288340
NC mountain areas tend to be cloudy -- look at the weather forecast before deciding to go there. If you are in or near Charlotte, or really anywhere other than already in the mountains, your best bet is to run into SC. Google "eclipse 2017 map SC" for where you want to be. Make sure you are looking at the 2017 map, eclipses seem to love SC for some reason...
>>
>>1289302
Western Idaho, "mostly sunny".
>>
>>1286233
This is a useful map for long-range planning, but probably you want to start looking at the forecast for Monday now.
>>
>>1289374

I've been checking it constantly for the past 10 days
I'm sticking with Missouri. I have limited ability to move at short notice, will be pointless on the day itself due to traffic anyway. I'll just have to live with my choice whatever happens, there's always 2024.
>>
>>1287535
If you do not mind the last minute change i am planing on driving down from the Detroit area, if you still want someone to go with.
[email protected]
>>
>>1289302
Nebraska is looking iffy. Trying to stick to the most western side of the state. Going to keep an extra close eye on Saturday and pick out some good spots and then bail out Sunday night so I can be at my spot. Traffic is going to be terrabad these states can't handle all this traffic.
>>
File: eclipse forecast.jpg (52KB, 1118x243px) Image search: [Google]
eclipse forecast.jpg
52KB, 1118x243px
>>1289302
>oregon
looking good for now. tuesday's iffy, hope it doesn't push ahead a day. and i hope i don't get fucked by one random cloud that just happens to park between me and the sun
>>
What sites are you guys using to get an idea of the weather?
>>
>>1289500
it's only 4 days away, so pretty much any weather site will have a forecast. or just google "weather, blahblah town"
>>
What times are you guys hoping to be at your spots?
>>
>>1289502
If you're trying to view this thing in Oregon I'd hope that your ass is either already there or getting ready to leave soonish. Oregon is about to see serious human gridlock and gas shortages. Same goes for the flyover states.
>>
>>1289502
about 6 pm saturday
>>
I was gonna go with a few friends but they bailed on me. I have two nights near Knoxville so I'm gonna go alone and just have some general questions. I've never traveled alone so what exactly should I do? I feel awkward doing things by myself. Also I'm a minority, east Asian specifically, and I've never been to the American south. Is it bad racially or does everyone just mind their own business?
>>
>>1289502
1AM sunday morning. Going to sleep in the back of my car. Hoping to get a good Solar Eclipse music mix for the road trip and a good book to read to pass the time.
>>
>>1289506
Just don't go into the obviously shitty parts of town by yourself. Trust me being an Asian person in the American south does not make you unique unless you go into the deliverance tier towns in the middle of nowhere. If you mind your business people will mind their business.

Also why would you feel awkward, there's literally nobody there to judge you except you. Trust me nobody is going to be tweeting about the weird asian guy by himself during the eclipse.
>>
>>1289509
Yeah I know the media boogeyman has played that up a bit so I've been kind of tense recently. Hasn't really helped my anxiety. I'm sure it'll turn out fine.
>>
>>1289503
>Oregon is about to see gas shortages
i'm literally going to top off every 25 miles. i hope the fucking gas jockies are going to be so annoyed by only pumping one gallon. stupid fucking oregon.
>>
>>1289511
I wish I had a roof rack for my car because then i'd just transport a 5 gallon emergency tank. I can't be driving around with that in my trunk, it's a safety hazard.
>>
im going to wv. pretty sure ill be able to see it
>>
Just hanging in Seattle. A partial is still gonna be neato. Some of my buddies are way down in Oregon lucky bastards
>>
Printed my maps, got groceries, cleaned my truck, put air in the tires, and packed my clothes. Just gotta roll some joints and I'm ready to go. We'll leave LA tomorrow around 10 am, get to Mammoth around 5pm.
>>
File: hard campings.jpg (36KB, 497x382px) Image search: [Google]
hard campings.jpg
36KB, 497x382px
>>1289535
Sounds like it's going to be a good time mang.
>>
>>1289511

Just keep enough gas in you tank to get home (or clear of Oregon) -- otherwise you'll be spending more time in gas lines than rolling.
>>
>>1289500
Any weather site will do -- day-of, you ant to b looking at cloud cover, which may be more extensive than rainy areas.

Looks like about an 85% chance of being able to see it where I'm going -- more than that if there is no gridlock and I can move a few miles to dodge a thunderstorm.
>>
>>1289498
If that happens, you can get out from under one random cloud usually by moving less than a mile. Start your move before totality.
>>
>>1289519
see the map in OP, you'll get most of the sun occluded in WV, but not totality -- no corona for you.
>>
File: 20161125_173954.jpg (2MB, 4250x2391px) Image search: [Google]
20161125_173954.jpg
2MB, 4250x2391px
>>1288030
>>1288091

I'm from Moncks Corner. Assuming you're willing to sacrifice some mobility, the best place to watch it might be on the dike, or technically the "Pinopolis East Dam Extension", accessible from Black Oak Road, in Bonneau.

I'll be on the lake on my boat.

High likelihood of afternoon thunderstorms and partial cloud cover though.
>>
This incredibly useful map allows you to look at the Google maps with an overlay of the eclipse track -- zoom in or out as much as you like, and click any spot on the map and get statistics for the eclipse at that spot, including how long it last, exactly when it starts and ends, if you are in the totality track it tells you that same info for totality.

Will maybe logjam on Monday, but use it for your planning.

Clear skies, /trv/lers!

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html
>>
File: 20170819_114630.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170819_114630.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I'm somewhere in NV. Hoping to make it to the Idaho border by 6pm
>>
I've heard Oregon's already been slammed with traffic. Anyone heard how things are in Illinois? I was hoping to just get up real early Monday and drive down 200 miles or so to Carbondale, but if traffics bad enough, that won't be possible.
>>
>>1290161
Only place I've seen reports so far are Oregon -- being an easy run for a lot of Clifornians, and with a couple of very small towns with insufficient road access advertising "come here" back before it was obvious they'd get swamped, Oregon is likely to have the worst issues.

I'm making my move Sunday afternoon -- even planned enough in advance that I have a hotel room in the path of totality in SC. Weather is now becoming the issue -- forecast there for Monday is slightly worse every time I look. The trend is worrisome.
>>
>>1286233
Kansas City Missouri has a 30% chance for rain Monday. You might have to travel to get a good shot at it.
>>
THE END IS NEAR.
>>
>>1290188
You need to make that decision soon -- or at some point, you are going to wind up spending eclipse day sitting in traffic.

Do not assume you will be able to move far or fast within 5-6 hours of the eclipse on either side.
>>
>>1290196
Cross-posted from /sci/, posted there in response to a conversation about places giving away eclipse glasses:

With give-away glasses, they seem more likely than others to be cheap fake pieces of crap.

Glasses with a strong enough filter effect will make it impossible to see almost anything other than the sun -- if you see room lights with a test-look through your glasses this evening, they are unsafe fakes.

If you look at the sun with them, and it is brighter than a charcoal near the end of steak-grilling time, you have some fakes and they are not safe.

Decent glasses will show the sun as a easy-to look-at orange (probably) object in a black sky.
>>
I'm right on the 100% line in SC, so i'm be watching from my porch.
>>
>>1290250
>if you see room lights with a test-look through your glasses this evening, they are unsafe fakes.
The ones that the National Park Service is distributing to thousands of people fail this test...so I'm going to assume what you say is false. I hope it is, anyway.
>>
File: Nebraska Eclipse.png (2MB, 2161x1128px) Image search: [Google]
Nebraska Eclipse.png
2MB, 2161x1128px
Nebraska looks like it's going to be fucked for eclipse viewing.
>>
>>1290281
Looking at room lights, you may see the filament or the brightest element of the light, but it should be dim.

If you can see anything BY the lighting in the room, do not use the glasses.

The sun should be VERY comfortable to look at through the glasses, or do not use them.

If you can see to walk around wearing the glasses, do not use them.
https://www.bustle.com/p/how-to-tell-if-your-solar-eclipse-glasses-are-safe-because-there-are-tons-of-fakes-floating-around-77556
>>
>>1290196

Looks like St. Joseph will be crowded with heavy traffic in that direction. Is there any other place you'd recommend that doesn't require 5-6 hours beforehand just to skip traffic jams?
>>
Anybody know how is madras Oregon traffic and crowd wise?
I'm in upqua and want to hike some before driving up.
>>
>>1290188

I'm going to be in Jefferson City. The forecast is alternating between 'mostly sunny' and 'partly cloudy' (same thing?) with 5% chance of precipitation
>>
Arrived in casper yesterday.
If you have a van there is plenty of parking
>>
>quick check yelp for the town
>> It may not be as fancy as Applebees, but the food here, as well as the service, is miles better.
What the fuck
>>
Made it to McCall ID. Traffic was dense but not terrible. Mostly sunny conditions.

Will try to leave town by 6am to make the 55 mile drive to the center of totality.
>>
Arrived in Columbia, SC tonight from central Georgia. Save for road work outside of Augusta, the highways were smooth as butter. I hope the eclipse at USC impresses me, or else they can remain known as the Gaycocks that gets bootyblasted later this season.
>>
I'm currently in Pigeon Forge, TN and I have no idea where to go tomorrow. I need to get back to Pittsburgh as soon as it's over so I don't want to get fucked by traffic, but I'm willing to travel farther south. Should I go into the Smokies or a small city or find a Walmart parking lot?
>>
>>1290683
Arrived Greenville SC from Charlotte, similar experience -- some rolling backups around construction north of Spartanburg. G'ville is jammed with folks, I am told there is not an available room in the county.

We've got a good spot, is the weather does not fuck us totally.
>>
>>1290694
My family went to Dollywood last year and the traffic in that area got nasty. 511 will be your best resource regarding interstate traffic if you have yet to check it out.
>>
>>1290705
It was pretty bad today, but I don't think it's eclipse related. I suspect it's just lots of parents taking their kid on the last summer vacation before school starts, but that's just my speculation. I guess we'll see tomorrow.
>>
Chilling at my spot in Nebraska. Kind of foggy right now but I'm in the path of totality. Going to wait till 9am and see how the weather is looking. It's supposed to be clear skies till 1ish. Traffic wasn't as bad as I thought. I was fully expecting some gridlock. The only hint of something happening is the rvs in this wally world parking lot.
>>
None of my immediate family gives a shit about it, it's kinda sad. Hell my sister thinks her class will actually just ignore the eclipse happening and nobody will walk out for a few minutes to at least experience totality.

Then again if the cloud cover keeps up they might be right.
>>
>>1290840
One sibling starts work today, but another one straight up didn't care. I'm with my parents at this one since it's likely I could be busy with the (future) wife and kids in 2024. At least they would have seen it once, assuming the clouds move away in this state today...
>>
In Nebraska. The traffic on 80 wasn't too bad last night, compared with the usual traffic out east. There's a high thin cloud layer that should affect the view of the partial phases, but will probably wash out totality. Still better than the 2009 eclipse from outside of Hangzhou
>>
>>1290868
That was supposed to be "shouldn't affect".
>>
>>1290868
Looking at the weather models. If it does not clear up soonish I think you could head west into Wyoming for a better view. In scottsbluff there's thick fog cover right now but I think the sun is burning through bit by bit.
>>
>>1283397
How the fuck do you guys have the time or money to travel just to go and stare at the sun? Especially on a Monday morning. I wish my schedule was this flexible.
>>
>>1290884
I get a month paid vacation at my job. Stay in school kids
>>
>>1290884
>flexible schedule
>Eclipses predicted centuries in advance

Sounds like you weren't prepared
>>
>"if you don't have a plan you're screwed"
>drive to totality with no plan and find spot easy peasy
I feel bad for all the planners who paid hundreds to park in some guys yard.
>>
>>1290906
what area?
>>
>>1290911
Madras/warm springs oregon.
>>
>>1290906
There are tons of people parked on the highways in Nebraska too. Found a spot dead center of totality no problem. I was almost one of those people who paid some fat hotel chain in casper 350 for a spot
>>
To anyone in Nebraska that has very cloudy weather. The skies near scottsbluff are fairly clear. There are some very high thin clouds but that's it. The Sun is clearly visible.
>>
Morning cloud has dispersed here in Jefferson City, bright and clear now. Fingers crossed it holds
>>
File: IMG_20170821_101021.jpg (2MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170821_101021.jpg
2MB, 4048x3036px
Who /Idaho/ here?
>>
How long are you going to wait around post totality?
>>
Columbia anon here. Clouds in the sky, but I see the moon at 02 o'clock. Thank goodness the state capitol building has WiFi.
>>
>>1283397
> Live on the east coast of florida
> gonna view it through my welding helmet.
Feelsgoodman.
>>
Thunder moving into Moncks Corner. Got to about quarter coverage before clouds.
>>
>>1290955
Clouds did not block the view fortunately. Glad I convinced my parents to see this event, and a state capitol now afterwords to pique my /polysci/ interests.
>>
That was like looking at the eye of god
>>
>>1291012
Congrats, you are now blind.
>>
Grand Island, Nebraska here (actually a bit south, just off the interchange at route 80). Clouds threatened, but ultimately did not interfere with viewing the corona at totality. Enough clouds that somebody pointed out a halo around the sun during the leading partial phase.

Then an hour of traffic jams when everybody got up and left after totality, just like a ball game. I'll be leaving tomorrow morning.
>>
File: 20170821_112653.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170821_112653.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1290924
Here. Smith's Ferry. Shit was lit yo.
>>
File: 20170821_152329.jpg (5MB, 3024x3870px) Image search: [Google]
20170821_152329.jpg
5MB, 3024x3870px
>>1291052
Oops.
>>
Home from Greenville, SC -- a great trip, thanks to all who posted in this thread during the run-up.

The eclipse traffic was, as expected, severe coming home, so I've had enough today for one day -- I'll go through my pics tomorrow and share if I got anything worth sharing.

Thanks again, /trv/, your thoughts and ideas on this were very helpful.
>>
>>1290955
Glad it worked out for you -- the forecast in Columbia looked discouraging yesterday.
>>
File: all that space.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
all that space.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>1290906
Similar thing in Columbia. Passed by parking lots charging people for the event, but I planned for USC (one of the official NASA event locations) as they were hosting free for the public. The visitor center parking attendant provided free visitor parking passes, and we chose the adjacent state house with the open greenspace (and public restrooms available in the government buildings). I'll have to repeat at another SEC school for the next event.

I'll have to readjust myself to browsing /pol/ and upcoming /cfb/ now that this event has passed, but I will definitely return here in my future travels.
>>
First the cicadas started singing. Then the crickets chimed in. I watched the darkness fall over the lake and looked to my buddy, just to see the reflection in his glasses. I turned to the sky and saw a black diamond shimmering like nothing I've ever seen before. I wish could have experienced it a thousand more times. God bless those clear Tennessee skies.

I really feel people don't know what they missed.
>>
>>1291258

Yeah people seem to have the impression that a 75% partial is 75% as good as totality. It's no exaggeration to say that totality was 1 million times more spectacular than 95% was.
>>
>>1290889
Why would you waste a vacation day on something so stupid?
>>
>>1291297
It's pretty rare bro.
>>
Just got back from Nebraska. The Eclipse was incredible the traffic not so much. CDOT was saying to expect 8 to 12 hour delays yesterday.
>>
>>1291297
>Why would you like something I don't like? It triggers me.
>>
File: P1060513 enhanced.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
P1060513 enhanced.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>1291134
Actually got a couple, so here.. for those interested, eclipse trip to Greenville, SC, pics.

First "nibble" as the moon crosses the sun. Image projected through a 2 inch refractor onto with board rephotographed, contrast played with to make the image pop a bit more.
>>
File: P1060541.jpg (7MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
P1060541.jpg
7MB, 4000x3000px
>>1291349
Pinhole camera effect as light filters through the leaves of a tree'
>>
File: P1060554.jpg (4MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
P1060554.jpg
4MB, 4000x3000px
Playing with instant pinhole cameras, cheapest way to see the partial eclipse I've ever seen.
>>
File: P1060563.jpg (1MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
P1060563.jpg
1MB, 4000x3000px
FUCK YEAH!
>>
File: P1060577 cleaned.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
P1060577 cleaned.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
"Diamond Ring," our totality is over.

Again, everybody, thanks for all your help and ideas in this thread.
>>
File: IMG_4440.jpg (979KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4440.jpg
979KB, 3264x2448px
Hubbard, Oregon was pretty comfy. Met some old people that though the eclipse would happen at the opposite of where the sun was so they were staring at the blank sky for 20 minutes. Until we told them it was the other way.
>>
>>1291410
That didn't happen. Take your lame fiction to leddit
>>
dick waving contest time. how far did everyone go?
>santa cruz, ca to malheur n.f., or
>1591 miles roundtrip
>26.5 hours total drivetime
drove up saturday, drove home monday right after the eclipse, went way east through nv to skip the i-5 bullshit.
>>
>>1291449
Got me beat. About 350 miles round trip. about 8 hours. but we stopped for supper.
>>
>>1291449
Upstate NY to Knoxville TN. 32 hours there and back. Admittedly, it wouldn't have taken that long without traffic.
>>
File: eclipses south america.jpg (84KB, 800x596px) Image search: [Google]
eclipses south america.jpg
84KB, 800x596px
Since we are all travelers on this bus, I'll mention there are two total eclipses in South America coming up -- one in 2019, one in 2020.

Even if you don;t want to travel just for an eclipse, if you want to get to South America, that would make a fun addition to your trip.
>>
>>1291449
Detroit to carbondale to hopkinsville. 20 hours in the car? Traffic in KY after was hellish. roads were not meant for so many people.
>>
new

>>1293764
>>1293764
>>1293764
Thread posts: 152
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.