[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backpacks general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 14

File: trail-35.jpg (206KB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
trail-35.jpg
206KB, 700x800px
What's the best litre backpack for a 5 month backpacking trip ? Ans is anyone familiar with the Vango Trail 35?
>>
Obligatory Osprey/Tortuga/Pacsafe post
>>
>>1282863
50 litres with special gear and tight packing
depends where you go and if you have acces to laundry machines

-casual street clothes
-hike and outdoors clothes
-somewhat stylish clothes

Clothes + shoes + toiletries will quickly add up. I'm doing 7 days and 35L isn't enough anymore.
>>
>>1283107
>Clothes + shoes + toiletries will quickly add up. I'm doing 7 days and 35L isn't enough anymore.
What the hell? I'm doing a month with 35l right now and could probably do less. Got six changes of clothes in there and a big toiletry bag, as well as some chargers and kindle and phone. Also socks and undies
Shoes I'll give you but there's no reason to have more than 2 pairs and you can always hang it off the back

If you aren't camping I honestly don't know what these people carry in 60L bags
>>
>>1282863
35-45 is ideal for me. Do laundry regularly, its better than carrying a pile of dirty clothes.. that's a nice looking bag, not too hiker. Top loaders kinda bother me though. clam shell is more convenient
>>
>>1282863
Tortuga.
>More than enough room.
>waist strap with durable buckle
>All zippers can be locked
> convenient side pockets, so you don't have to take off your entire bag just to grab a water bottle or can your ID/passport out

Tortuga, tortuga, tortuga
>>
>>1283273
tortuga shills gunna shill. honestly its an ugly bag.. If you are spending that kinda money on a meme backpack AER travel pack is better.
>>
>>1283272
Post clam shells. I'm interested in buying one. Top loader osprey is annoying me.
>>
>>1282863
I think around 60L is best. Yeah, you probably don't need all that, but it has several advantages. Packing, unpacking and grabbing individual items is easier. You have excess space if you do need/want to pick up something on the way. You can go longer without having to do laundry. With decent compression straps that surplus space doesn't become much of an issue.

Capacity is a good starting point for comparison but design is also important in determining how well you can utilise a given size.

Backpack size becomes a bit of a pissing contest and if you listen to people on this board you'd thinking everyone is travelling with 30L or less. The reality is though the vast majority of backpackers will have something in the 50-70L range. Going light is great but it requires tradeoffs, which on a 5 month trip are going to become annoying.

Ultimately the best way to decide is to have a hard think about what you're going to take, then throw that in a duffel bag, take it to the store, then see how big a bag you need for it.
>>
>>1283431
I did my first trip with a 20L because I was stupid and thought "backpacking" literally meant "go to foreign countries with the nearest backpack in your possession."

tfw I traveled out of a school backpack. I suppose it was impressive that I managed to do it, but damn, I regret not buying a RealTravelerâ„¢'s backpack.
>>
>>1283427
>honestly its an ugly bag.
That's hardly an issue when
A. I am a straight man
and
B. I am gonna be wearing plain t-shirts, cargo pants, hiking shoes, a baseball cap, a vest, and a camera around my neck
>>
Thoughts on the Kelty (Redwing)?

It's a fraction of the cost of the usually shilled brands, but still seems to have a bit of a following.
>>
>>1283427
Back to /fa/ fag.

You should thank us for giving you something else to bitch about, typically you /fa/gs are usually shitting all over users of mil surplus gear because "tacticool" is a fashion faux pas or something. People use mil surplus because it's good shit. People use tortuga because it's good civilian shit. I don't plan to strut down a runway with my pack on, but that's probably what you imagine yourself doing when you use SnapChat in the Louvre.

Posters like you are /trv/ cancer. On my first trip I just used a couple heavy duty trash bags desu. Go fuck yourself flash-packer. Post a pic of you crying when someone in the third world swipes your matching baby blue Osprey bag and day pack.
>>
the tom binh synapse 25 is bretty good. did 3 months in asia with just the ruck.
>>
File: 1501191415809.gif (3MB, 190x200px) Image search: [Google]
1501191415809.gif
3MB, 190x200px
>>1283435
>tfw I traveled out of a school backpack.

How did you do it? How long were you travelling for?
>>
Do you guys ever choose the color of your backpack based on a practical approach, not your personal preferences?

I'm talking about shit like choosing a black/brown/dark-colored backpack so dirt doesn't show as easily, avoiding bright colors to reduce attention from thieves, or even choosing bright colors for better visibility in dark places.
>>
>>1283510
whatever dude.. the Tortuga sucks. I dont carry Osprey either.. but I would pick it over that clumsy piece of shit.. no need to get mad, just giving my opinion
>>
File: tortuga.jpg (48KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
tortuga.jpg
48KB, 630x420px
>>
>>1283273
>45L backpack
>no internal frame

Enjoy your aching back.
>>
>>1283510
>On my first trip I just used a couple heavy duty trash bags
Assuming that you aren't joking, what was that experience like?
>>
>>1283915
Thats more of a suitcase than a backpack. Is it really more practical or am i falling for a meme?
>>
>>1283960
I had an osprey farpoint 55 with me for two weeks in japan. I could fit a week worth of clothing (aka shirt, socks and underwear) and a spare pair of jeans, a sweater and I sometimes stuffed my soft shell jacket in as well (had to use it while up in the mountain, 30°C in Himeji though). And I still had a ton of room left in there, so if you pack tigther a 40-50 should be enough. I just wanted a backpack with a detatchable daily bag, which the 55L one had. Waist straps are godsent and those tiny shoulder straps? They made a huge difference, didn't even think it was that important.
>>
>>1283965
Oh also I could carry it on board, didn't have to pay for luggage.
>>
>>1283965
I've been looking at the farpoint 55 for a while actually. I work for a construction company and they've started sending me out to these rural ass towns and I have to pack at least a week's to ten days clothing, a sleeping bag, and whatever else but i get tired of rolling out my suitcase for every trip. The detachable pack seems incredibly useful and the whole thing would probably hold all my shit.
I have a daylite pack plus and I like it but it's really just to carry shit when I walk around lol not exactly travel.
>>
>>1283970
AYO

HOL UP

IS U SAYIN

It's small enough to be a carry on? holy shit I might get one now.
>>
>>1283975
Aye, if you don't overpack it you can use the straps to make it really small since it's 40L. The daypack is 15L so what I did is that I carried the main bag in hand and the small on my back, just make sure it's not too heavy. I flew with Turkish Airlines, had no problems boaring in Budapest, transfer in Istambul. Coming back they did measure the weight at Narita, but let me board all the same. On board I had the main bag up above in the compartment (it was a smaller plane till istambul and a 777 from there), both were fine. Then again it all depends on who you fly with and what are their regulations.
>>
>>1283965
55l is way too big for a developed country. you look like a clown
>>
>>1283960
there are plenty of better bags for a lot less $$ than the Tortuga
>>
>>1283990
It has a detachable day pack. Why would you lug the thing around lmao.
>>
>>1283975
I find that large-capacity bags are a lot more carry-on friendly than they let on. Measuring a bag in litres is an okay frame of reference, but sometimes you just need actual solid dimensions. I've seen 30-40L bags that were too chunky-looking, and I've seen 50L+ bags that looked smaller than expected.

Smaller bags = lesser height, greater width and/or depth
Larger bags = greater height, lesser width/depth

Hell, I once did a trip on a 20L (rookie mistake), and by the end of the trip, my bag couldn't fit in the carry-on sizing frame; I also looked stupid while wearing the bag, because it looked like I was giving Verne Troyer a piggyback. If I had a 50L bag, I would've had more space, therefore better distribution; better to have a large underfilled bag than a small overfilled bag.
>>
>>1283431
>>1283107
What are you all carrying that you need more than 40 liters? Do you really need more than a week's worth of clothes, toiletries, and some amenities?
>>
>>1284279
Even if you pack little, added flexibility is always nice to have. I could stuff a smaller bag with a week's clothes, toiletries, and some amenities, or I can stuff a larger bag with the exact same contents and fold/roll/compress as much as I wish, in virtually any way, shape or form. Then once I've arrived at my destination, I could use the extra space for whatever I want. Maybe I want to carry a few large water bottles. Maybe I want to buy some fruit. Maybe I'll train to be a Jedi and carry Yoda around while doing backflips.
>>
>>1283552

Not him, but I did a six months travel with a school backpack, sleeping bag, a hammock, my juggling balls, a book and some other odd or essentials stuffs. I had no extra clothes. But I am what here we call a crazy road traveler. I was a vagabonding most of the day with intervals for juggling in the trafic signal for weed, telling stories (need bus money for return to my family - and then I hitchhiked) for panhadling, and frequent the social assistence for the homeless. If I need something I would just knock all doors in a small city until someone gave it to me.

Good life. I think I didn't expend any money except in weed. The roads are full of walking hobos that most of the gas stations feed out of charity. I just had to say that I was going to the coffee plantations (wich was truth, I eventually worked there).
>>
>>1284280
This, in most situations aside from perhaps serious hiking it's better to have a larger bag with some excess space than a smaller bag that's filled to the brim. Besides, sometimes you want to travel with more than one pair of shoes, or need to carry warm clothes for intermittent use. I also like to have a decent daypack that I can stash inside my main pack, but with a smaller pack I have to either carry the daypack on my front or stick to using one of those collapsible gym bags which are easy to steal from and can't hold much. Also, a rucksack with a legit frame, broad straps, proper hip belt and even weight distribution is going to be much more comfortable to carry than an overstuffed backpack that's really only meant to carry a few schoolbooks.

Bigger isn't always better - going lighter/smaller has its obvious advantages. My point is it that beyond a certain point it also has tradeoffs, which may start to get annoying on a longer journey.
>>
>>1284280
>>1284309
That's fair. But the internal frames still seem unnecessary, as you can't exactly fold it into itself as you mentioned, only to a certain extent. The comfort of carrying it on long walks is also a very legit point though

I usually just use a drawstring for a daybag because between that and my pockets I should have plenty of room, and it's highly compqctible
>>
File: porter_65_hoodoo_red_1.jpg (23KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
porter_65_hoodoo_red_1.jpg
23KB, 550x550px
I just bought this:
>http://www.campsaver.com/osprey-porter-65-gear-hauler-2

I've already got the Porter 46 which is great but not overly spacious by any means. So having the 65 to step up when I don't care about airplane carry-on (for about half what I paid for the 46) seems worth it.
>>
>>1283922
>joking
Is it that hard to believe?
Anyway it worked just fine ar first. Nobody seemed to care in the US because the staff was tird, eager to go on break so everything was handled with a 'meh' attitude. Abroad airport staff seemed to be in shock when I grabbed it and hostel desk people looked nervous. I guess it seemed bum like but I'm a very neat and clean-cut guy so they said nothing.

Inly problem I ever had was on the way home, probly because of some hard or odd shaped souvenirs I bought. The solution was simple: bought a few more trash bags and stuff the old ones into the new ones.
>>
>>1284671
There's so many easy ways to just get a fucking backpack, why wouldn't you? Was it a point of pride or something?
>>
>>1284671
you went to a store and bought more trash bags to put your belongings in? I bet that store also sold cheap school bags.. or were you saving up for a Tortuga?
>>
>>1284768
I knew two punk/emo girls in my high school who carried boxes to class because backpacks were "so conformist."
>>
>>1282863
I get around with a Quechua 50L just fine. Carry-on for flights always (only once did they make me check it due to weight, usually I just stand tall and shrug my shoulders and say "Oh Yeh it's super light"). Big enough for all my clothes, spare shoes, towel and toiletries, as well as cramming in souvenirs/duty free by the end of the trip. The top part flaps over so you can cram more stuff in and strap it down when you need to. Couple of extra pockets for conveniences. Strong and comfortable straps to distribute the weight. Taken that baby to 30 countries now and she's still going strong.
>>
>>1284958
That actually looks pretty tasty desu. Post a pic of your pack so we can see how it wears out
>>
Anyone use an army molle backpack? My 30l Osprey momentum has been good to me, but It's not enough for big trips anymore. Looking for a 35 or 40 L. How does the comfort on army bags measure against Osprey ?
>>
File: blue22.jpg (28KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
blue22.jpg
28KB, 1680x1050px
Would like some advice here. I found a backpack that I really like; I'm actually really close to pulling my wallet out.

The problem: It comes in two different colors - the color that I want (black) costs $60 more than the color that I don't want (an obnoxiously bright blue). Even if I can ignore my preferences, am I crazy for thinking that the blue backpack will draw more attention from thieves?
>>
>>1286410
i would buy the black, unless 60 bucks is a lot of money to you... I hate regretting purchases later.
>>
Are there any budget options that aren't going to kill your back? I'm going to Tokyo for two weeks and hiking Fuji.

This was one of the highest rated on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BY6UDEQ/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>1286410
you'll look like the whitest tourist in history lol. But a thief that goes for backpacks will see your shit regardless of what color it is.
>>
>>1286491
Just get one of the Amazon basics desu. They're there for a reason.
>>
do you have any experience of patagonia?
>>
L A D S
A
D
S

Im going on a 3 week trip through mexico next month.
What should I take with me? What should I leave behind? Any tips on what I should take with me on the daily?
Im going to stay in motels most of the time but I'm probably going to sleep in my car for at least a few nights. What should I know about traveling?
>>
File: Osprey-Porter-30.jpg (55KB, 660x400px) Image search: [Google]
Osprey-Porter-30.jpg
55KB, 660x400px
Sell me this pack, /trv/

Osprey Porter 30L
>>
>>1282863
>PacSafe
>Tortuga
>Osprey

Bitches don't know bout my EAGLE CREEK.
>>
>>1287760
why would i sell shit?
>>
>>1287771
>>1287771
Post pics fuccboi I'm not gonna Google some bullshit birdpacks
>>
>>1287772
i-is it a shit pack?

How do I into backpacks

Teach me your ways anonfu
>>
>>1287759
What parts of Mexico?
>>
Thoughts on Patagonia's Refugio 28L packs? I just tried one on at a brick and mortar store and liked it.
>>
>>1287926
Going from Tucson to Mazatlan.
The farthest Ive ever gone is to Chihuahua so I'm excited to see how it goes.
>>
How is North Face Mens' Borealis? Anyone have experience wit hit?
>>
>>1288218
>>1288504
These backpacks look fine as daypacks.

However, if you were to try using them as a main bag for a minimalist carry-on-only trip, I would reconsider.
>>
>>1288515
Why's that? What don't that have makes them fine as a day pack but lacking once you want to make it a multi-day?
>>
File: IMG_0456.jpg (100KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0456.jpg
100KB, 640x480px
>>1288598
Because (un)packing is a bitch.

Generally speaking, it would be better to get a "clamshell" or "suitcase" style opening, like pic related. That may sound silly at first, but it still beats the hell out of digging through your stuff just to get to the bottom.

At least the Refugio/Borealis opens about halfway down, I'll give them that. They're still not as bad as certain other backpacks that are far more restrictive with their openings.
>>
>>1288603
That's true
how do you guys pack the layers what to keep at the top and what to keep at the bottom.what items do you prioritize?
>>
>>1288627
I just use packing cubes
>>
TEFLfag here going to Laos with the intention of working. If I don't like it or don't find work I think I'll just do some travelling. I know 60L is way more than enough for backpacking, but would it be enough for moving to another country for at least six months?
>>
File: my sweet, sweet diagram.jpg (77KB, 806x230px) Image search: [Google]
my sweet, sweet diagram.jpg
77KB, 806x230px
>>1288627
If packing a front-loading backpack, I try to avoid packing in layers. I prefer to pack in segments so that I can equally access all categories of items.

Yes, I am one of those barbarians who roll their clothes.
>>
>>1288912
If you're going for six months just use luggage and use a backpack for everyday use.
>>
>>1288977
you... monster!
>>
File: gr1-homepage-jack-dc__25992.jpg (290KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
gr1-homepage-jack-dc__25992.jpg
290KB, 2000x1000px
Goruck continual thread shill over the years coming through.

Just finished another trip through Fijian islands last month, couldn't of used anything better.
>>
>>1289099
I would but i don't know whether I'll be staying in one place or moving around into that space of time
>>
File: index.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
I fell for the meme and I'm about to buy a pacsafe X30 in blue.

Is it stupid to buy a backpack in a color like this? What do the Real Travelers think?
>>
>>1283439
I'm currently traveling with a Redwing 32. When I told people I got "a cheap backpack" everyone scoffed saying that they're very great bags. One of my friends said you get 5% more bag from the other brands at 2x the cost. Granted I'm only going for a week, with laundry services available, you could live out of it for a week with a fresh change of clothes each day (granted you don't change your pants)
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
>>1283977
>Aye
>two weeks in Japan
>Budapest > IST > Narita

Are you me? Irish guy, went for two weeks, found a deal and went from Dublin to catch a Budapest flight

Anyway OP (and lurkers), I'd look at the Osprey Farpoint 40. I took a long time to decide and I think it's the sweet spot of guaranteed carry-on, right size and with the Osprey features like good compression straps / stow away shoulder straps. I personally put my own 20L daybag inside it (pictured)
>>
>>1290164
Honestly, I dislike that it's top-loading more than that it's blue.

On the bright side, it's a Pacsafe, so even if it does attract thieves, your shit is less likely to be stolen.
>>
>>1286410
If you are not even sure now then you will definitely regret it later.
>>
>>1290229
I've been lurking in this thread since it started, and while I ultimately ended up not buying the Farpoint 40, it was a *very* close second for me.

I even considered the Farpoint 55. It's pretty much a 40 with a detachable 15L daypack.
>>
Can backpacks with metal bars and frames pose a problem at airports as hand luggage?
>>
>>1283908
i have a brright orange backpack, call it my little jersey slut, once had a thief try and get into it, broke that cunts nose lol
>>
>>1290476
>Can backpacks with metal bars and frames pose a problem at airports as hand luggage?
they can force you to check it, yes
>>
>>1282863
to those with osprey farpoint 40s: do you guys bring a daypack too or just use the farpoint?
>>
>>1290637
I can't speak for everyone, but I imagine backpack traveling works something like this:

The "main" bag is a 30-50L backpack because checked luggage can be a hassle (especially with tight layovers through multiple airlines). Once arrived at destination, the main bag stays in the room, while the traveler goes out and explores with a lighter 10-25L daypack.
>>
>>1290637
This >>1290640 is exactly what I do. It's just a lot easier than waiting for a half hour for the checked luggage and its incredibly convinient when you get to where you're going. I use the daypack (daylite plus) to carry an extra shirt, umbrella, portable charger, and whatever shit I pick up through the day.
>>
>>1290744
you manage to pack the daylite plus into your checked luggage with all your other stuff?
>>
I am looking for a pack for a 3 week trip to Europe in January/February.

Money is not an object, I just want the best pack available. Anyone have suggestions?
>>
>>1290871
Osprey Farpoint 40
Osprey Farpoint 55
Tortuga Outbreaker
Pacsafe Venturesafe EXP45
Pacsafe Venturesafe X40
Pacsafe Vibe 40
The North Face Stormbreak 35
Deuter Transit 40
Deuter Transit 50
Kelty Redwing 44
>>
>>1290822
Read the post again lol I don't check luggage. The daylite plus can be attached to the Osprey porter so I just say the whole thing is my carry on. If they say something then I just say the porter is the carry on and the daylite is the personal item.
>>
>>1291129
Winter will mean I will need a jacket / sweaters / etc. Would a Farpoint 70 be too big to carry on airplane?
>>
>>1290637
I bring a daypack and stuff it on the bottom layer of the osprey main compartment. it's padded and has a sternum strap and all that shit

its a fucking annoyance but there's no other option. I need a good daybag for my coat, camera, and the small shit like wipes or painkillers or water bottle or stuff you buy during the day

I don't think those foldable and packable ones, that fit into a fist size, are good enough. I wish they were
>>
>>1291406
yes, a 70 would have to go into the baggage hold. when it comes to osprey, a Farpoint 40 is the limit for carry on. People claim that the Farpoint 55 can fit, but I would call that a gamble

A waterproof jacket and warm fleece should be feasible on a 40
>>
>>1291406
Alternative solutions:
>wear the jacket/sweater during your flight; now it's no longer a bag item
>use packing cubes and stuff the shit out of it with your jacket/sweater
>use vacuum seal bags (believe it or not, but you can remove the air without a vacuum, so yes, you won't have to awkwardly ask your hostel for a vacuum when it's time to go home)

>>1291488
The Farpoint 55 isn't really a 55L bag. It's a 40+15L bag. You could detach the 15L daybag and consider it your "personal item," which many airlines allow for. The only way this wouldn't work is if you're flying with a budget airline.
>>
>>1291516
not true, the 40L main bag from a Farpoint 55 is still bigger and a different shape than the Farpoint 40. It's longer and wouldn't fit in regulation sizes like the Farpoint 40 does
>>
File: eagle-creek-gear-hauler.jpg (47KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
eagle-creek-gear-hauler.jpg
47KB, 1000x1000px
Here's my recommendation. Worked well for a couple of months down the Mediterranean and fits as a carry-on. The backpack-duffel bag conversion system is nice.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/gear-hauler/d/1578C3513?CategoryId=111
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.