[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Volunteering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: Fountain_of_Doubt.jpg (299KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
Fountain_of_Doubt.jpg
299KB, 760x596px
I'm 22 and bailing on my shit tier 9-to-5 day job to travel between volunteering sites, mainly via the WWOOF scheme.

If any of you have done stuff like this before, it'd be cool to hear your experiences/stories/advice as I'm new to this and hope to be doing this for a while.

I've volunteered in Portugal for a month back in 2013, but have no experience aside from that.

Would you recommend volunteering in non-English speaking countries?

Is it realistic to expect that the only cost is travelling between sites?

Where/what kind of volunteering would you recommend?
>>
I miss Oglaf being funny.
>>
>>1282806
Where are you from ?
The most painful part of this kind of travel is all the visa administrative trouble. I've never tried it myself but when I was WWOOFing I met this German guy who was doing this (in Russia) and he told me that it was hard to get visas for foreign countries when you are yourself in a foreign country and you have little to no access to Internet or your embassy (wwoofing is usually far into countryside). For example he wanted to go to Malaysia next (or somewhere in SEA I don't remember) but he had trouble with getting a visa
So my advice would be to check the list of countries where your countrymen don't need a visa or have a 30/90 days stay with no-visa and target those.
Otherwise it is perfectly feasible, some people go from place to place, other make rotations between 2, 3 or 4 places, it is pretty common for wwoofers in Schengen space
>>
>>1283347
I'm from the UK. To be fair, I'm thinking of doing it in the UK for the first couple of months before moving on to other countries.

Are visas that challenging to apply for if you don't intend to do paid work?

Good advice though, thanks. What was your WWOOFing experience like?
>>
>Are visas that challenging to apply for if you don't intend to do paid work?

Depends on the country. Places like Vietnam just require you to pay a fee for an approval letter (which can be done online) and bring some passport sized photos with you on top of filling out an application. Then you get your stamps upon arrival. Some visas are single entry only so you can't visit a neighboring country and then re-enter on your visa unless you pay for a multi-entry approval letter so you have to plan ahead.

Places like Russia are much more complicated to get into of course.
>>
>>1283680
>Are visas that challenging to apply for if you don't intend to do paid work?

As >>1283907 said it depends on the country. But the main problem I think is the access to the visa platform (Internet or physical, e.g embassy or embassy website). And most of the time (in my experience) you have to physically be at some administrative place at some point of the process, and that may be hard if you are deep in the countryside.
As a UK citizen there must be quite a lot of countries you can get in without a visa (maybe for a limited number of days but still), I would target those if I were you. Staying in the UK is also a good idea, as most countries have their own WWOOFing organisation that you have to pay to be part of (annual subscription), and it gives you a list of hosts and means to contact them for example. So if you move often to different countries you'll also pay often.

>What was your WWOOFING experience like ?
I did it once in France (home) and once in Russia. It's a really great experience, as you'll often encounter people with a very different lifestyle than yours. You'll most likely get introduced to new and bizarre things or things that always seemed "stupid" to you (spirit healing, meditation, yoga, fasting etc.), but keep an open mind and you'll have a lot of fun.
Be careful that some hosts use wwoofing as undeclared work. For example I met a Czech guy that told me he went to a place in Croatia where he was basically a waiter in some camping complex. He was provided with food and shelter in exchange for him working 12-15 and 18-22 but it is absolutely not what wwoofing is about (and probably illegal). I think it's rare though.
>>
File: 1461087622087.jpg (115KB, 697x697px) Image search: [Google]
1461087622087.jpg
115KB, 697x697px
>>1283907
>>1283979
Thanks for the advice guys. I will have some money put aside for travel expenses, but I'm also thinking of looking into busking to earn some extra cash. Not at the WWOOFing sites, of course, but between places and on my own time.

I've heard of some shifty WWOOF places. The month I did in Portugal was pretty far from that: v. chilled and not all that demanding. I just had to do the odd shitty job amid the easy day-to-day stuff and could relax the rest of the time. I was only 18 at the time, so I'm assuming they were giving me an easy time of it.

If I dodge the shiftier listings though, hopefully it'll be just what I'm looking for.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.