[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I go from Zanzibar?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: s.jpg (86KB, 1334x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
86KB, 1334x1000px
Hey /trv/,

I have a very small conundrum I'm currently trying to resolve.

I spent about a month traveling through Mexico before hopping over to Tanzania to visit a Peace Corps friend in Zanzibar. While I'd originally planned to stay with him in the village for a month and a half, I'm probably going to leave earlier.

While being here has been a very interesting experience, I'm coming down with island fever. The local food is hands-down terrible, and I'm inclined to leave towards the end of August.

Here's the catch: I'm on a pretty thin budget. I'll earn about $1300 from writing before the month is over, and tend to earn between $1,000 and $2,000 per month from the same. During the summer, it's closer to the lower end of the spectrum, and I have a couple bills to pay from home, too.

That's more than enough for most places I want to go, but buying plane tickets can stretch me thing.

I have a flight to catch from Cairo to New Delhi on October 1st, and I want to spend at least 10-15 days in Egypt.

Cont.
>>
The options I'm mulling over are:

>visiting a friend in Moldova

I've found flights for $220 from Dar Es Salaam/Zanzibar to Dubai, and then $40 from Dubai to Romania. I can likely fly from Bucharest back to Cairo for $140, but I'm worried local transportation costs will add up (i.e., Bucharest to Moldova and then back, or Bucharest to Athens and fly to Cairo from there).

>flying to Egypt earlier

I wouldn't mind being there longer, but can I seriously entertain myself on a $20-$40 per day budget in Egypt for a month? I have friends I can stay with in Cairo for free, but I don't want to be a hassle to them for such a long while.

It's $280-$330 from either Dar or Zanzibar to Cairo. For some reason, Dar-Cairo flights connect in Zanzibar anyway.

I want to see mainland Tanzania, but safaris and park fees are monstrous ($600+ for the Serengeti, $150-$200 for Ngorongoro)

>adventure

I'd love to go overland through Kenya and Sudan to Egypt, but I'm not sure whether that route is safely viable. My friend here in Zanzibar has told me that Kenya is quite unsafe; I'm also not well-informed about Sudan, although I remember an Anon from /trv/ riding an ore train or something there a while ago.

I'm also nervous about doing things like hitchhiking or train-hopping with my laptop, which enables me to work abroad conveniently compared to Internet cafes.

>other options

Does /trv/ have any recommendations? I was initially hoping to do Zanzibar-Mainland-Zambia-Ethiopia-Egypt, but the flights are a lot more expensive than I thought. It's $100 to Zambia from Dar, $250 from Lusaka to Addis Ababa, and then another $250 to Cairo from there, not factoring in visas.

I'm trying to buy my return ticket from Delhi to Mexico by August 15, which will run $400 out of pocket.

Sorry for the long post - just wanted to explain my circumstances and considerations thoroughly.

Any insight on Kenya or recommendations for cool routes which won't break the bank are welcomed.
>>
>>1282723
Dunno how much the travel costs will be. I do the "nomad" thing a bit as well. I would consider getting a cheap ticket to South Africa. 500 bucks a month will get you a flat in a safer area of Cape Town with decent internet.
Rwanda is supposed to have decent internet and is seriously underrated. You can also do overland from there to Ethiopia for a bit, then a short flight to Cairo.

Swaziland might be another option unless internet speed is essential.

I too am scared of losing my computer. However, I carry a separate external hard-drive at all time elsewhere in luggage. If I get robbed, I can easily get another $200 lappy and keep on working. If your files are small (docs are small) you could just use the cloud.
>>
>>1282750

I considered flying to South Africa.

Unfortunately, the flights from there to Cairo are even more expensive than from Tanzania or Ethiopia. I believe the last I checked SkyScanner, the cheapest offering was $400-500.

Kigali to Cairo was also a little pricey, if I'm remembering correctly. Trying to hop on SkyScanner to check, but the connection here is bugging out a bit.

Thanks for the recommendations, though.

More or less, I'm just trying to get to Cairo by mid-September without sitting around in the village until then.

I'm saving a bit of money being here, but I don't want to get fugged by all the plane tickets I need to buy.

Once I get India-Mexico taken care of, I don't care as much, since if I run out of money, I can just chill around the hostel for a couple days eating cheap shit until I get paid again (I have one contract that pays almost $1k per month, and the direct deposit is very, very reliable).

Oh - Kigalo to Cairo just loaded. Fucking $450+. I guess there must not be much demand for Intra-Africa flights, because this shit is expensive.
>>
>>1282758
Cool. Best of luck to you anon. I suggest you hit ITAMATRIX and be liberal as to when it comes departure and arrival airports. Maybe you can find some freakishly cheap flight (like that Dubai to Romania one, insanely cool)

And yes. South Africa is insanely expensive to fly from.
>>
>>1282758
Also, do check the return flights. Sometimes single flights are more expensive.
>>
>>1282769

Just talked to my friend in Moldova, so I think I'm probably going that route unless I can't find a reasonably priced ticket from Bucharest to Cairo.
>>
>>1282716
Be sure to check out New Mombasa.
>>
File: Battle_of_New_Mombasa_Painting.jpg (212KB, 1920x1128px) Image search: [Google]
Battle_of_New_Mombasa_Painting.jpg
212KB, 1920x1128px
>>1283669
Never forget
>>
>>1283692
>yfw Africans will never build a space elevator
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.