[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

American here, Never traveled internationally but my vacation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 1498021174818.jpg (22KB, 432x432px) Image search: [Google]
1498021174818.jpg
22KB, 432x432px
American here,

Never traveled internationally but my vacation time looks good in mid to late November. Any good recommendations for sightseeing and delicious food? I'm mainly thinking South America or Mediterranean Europe. Colombia and Greece are at the top of my considerations but I'd like an experienced point of view.
>>
>>1281891
Take it from somebody with experience. South America is a dice roll. The coast is okay, but go inland and you're testing your luck. Americans are wealthy and people are desperate. Specifically in Venesuela and Columbia. Some people *really* don't like Americans. I say Chile and Equador are a good bet.

Mediterranian happens to be safe and enjoyable. I suggest Rome or the like.

My favorite country so far, and mostly as unpopular as people tend to be weebs around these parts: Mongolia. I'm a hiker by nature, so I stray from the cities. The cities suck and they constantly worship Granduncle Ghengis, but the vistas are fucking impeccable, and they basically fucking invented bbq.
>>
>>1281891
keep in mind late November in Europe will have dodgy weather.. maybe Crete or Sicily or Malta..Maybe Turkey

I love Colombia, but not for food. I would maybe suggest Cartagena, Santa Marta, Minca, Tayrona, Palomino

I think most other SA countries have better food, Argentina, Peru, Chile.
Venezuela aside, i dont think SA is too dangerous, but if you dont speak spanish you may run into situations that could have been avoided.
>>
>>1281891
>I'm mainly thinking South America or Mediterranean Europe

Those would be two very different experiences. I think most differences would be pretty obvious, so I'll point out something that you might not realize until going through both of them. Europe is going to have more fellow travelers that have a lot of money or travel on their parents time, they will be risk averse people that are looking for organized tours and a cliche experience. South America will have more hippy type backpackers that are thrifty, might be a little shady, and are trying to find off the beaten path areas or have some kind of an adventure. That seemed to make a pretty big difference to me and had an effect on my experience in both places.
>>
For a first time abroad, I'd suggest you to come to Mediterranean Europe.

You could do something like Greece - Italy - South East of France - Spain. The weather in mid November is ok, there are plenty of nice sightseeing to see and the food is awesome.

I've never been to South America yet, I'd love to and I'll eventually go. But if it's your first time internationally I think it would be too much of a shock.

So far I've only been to NYC in America but, even though of course there are big differences with Europe, I kind of got the same feeling as when visiting, let's say, London. I mean in terms of being in a developed country and all. For instance, Istanbul felt much more of a culture shock to me despite being much closer to NYC. I guess you know what I mean.
>>
File: SouthAmerica_pol1.gif (358KB, 1412x2007px) Image search: [Google]
SouthAmerica_pol1.gif
358KB, 1412x2007px
>>1281891
Colombia is not a "beginner" country.
It's not dangerous, but it's not really that safe either.

If you want to visit South America with no traveling experience and you don't even speak Spanish, I suggest you go to one of the developed countries (Argentina, Chile) or go to Europe altogether. Or go to Colombia if you are dead set about it but stay strictly within the tourist areas.

If you speak some Spanish and feel confident you can handle it then by all means go for it.

It's important to know what you are looking for, exactly.

Are you looking for beaches, bitches and some time in the sun?
Go to Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Cartagena (Colombia), the Caribbean, Cancun, Riviera Maya (Mex).

Are you looking for hiking off the beaten path, backpacking through glaciers and mountains, rafting, mountain biking? Go to Patagonia (Southern Argentina)

Are you looking for history and native culture? Go to Peru, visit Macchu Picchu, or cross into Bolivia if you are feeling more adventurous.

Are you looking for crazy nightlife and going clubbing? Head to Buenos Aires or Rio de Janeiro

Colombia is great in that it's a middle ground - it has a little bit of everything: Great beaches, great bitches, history, interesting culture, good nightlife.

Whatever you do, stay away from Venezuela.
>>
>>1281891
As a east coast American I would suggest you wait farther out if you will be flying internationally. Ticket prices will be higher if you book this close.
>>
>>1282221
>Are you looking for beaches, bitches and some time in the sun?
>Go to Rio de Janeiro (Brazil),
Sorry, but most of Rio de Janeiro beaches are polluted. If you wanna try Brazil beaches, go to Northeast - mainly CearĂ¡, Bahia and Pernambuco/Alagoas states (Rio Grande do Norte is a tourist trap).
>>
>>1282330
Floripa in the south also has really nice beaches
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.