[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling to India

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: received_1394574457298129.jpg (57KB, 960x564px) Image search: [Google]
received_1394574457298129.jpg
57KB, 960x564px
Hey /trv/, my girlfriend is absolutely obessed with Bollywood, and wants to travel to India. I plan on trying to make this happen for her next summer. Can I ask for some pros and cons about traveling there? What are the basic dos and do nots when visiting?
>>
>>1280893
Don't leave her alone that's for goddamned sure.

Or else you'll have yourself one raped gf...
>>
>>1280893

Honestly, there's no simple or straightforward way to answer your question.

India is a single country that contains an incredible amount of diversity. Every state has its own culture - often multiple - which changes from one region to the next.

Speaking generally, India can be quite frustrating. The weather in the summer is almost universally unpleasant on account of the heat. Once the monsoon kicks in, strong rains and humidity only add to the misery.

If you want to get away from the warmth, the mountains offer some respite.

Traveling in North India - specifically the NCR (New Delhi, Noida, and Gurgaon), Uttar Pradesh, and Bihar - can be frustrating with a woman. Your girlfriend will probably get cat-called, propositioned, and potentially groped, should you be in a crowded area like a metro car or public bus. Most Western women who travel to India experience some difficulty from men, which may or may not be assuaged by your presence.

There are lots and lots of scams and cons running in Delhi, targeted at foreign and domestic tourists alike. Do not trust anyone who tells you that your bus or train ticket needs to be checked, or who tries sparking a conversation while you're in mid-stride (often along the lines of "Nice jacket, bro" or "First time in India?").

Do strike a healthy balance between being too trusting of strangers and being too closed off. A lot of Indians, while culturally conservative, are curious of foreigners. Many are well-educated and might just want to make conversation or a new friend.
>>
>>1280925

Generally speaking, Mumbai and its surroundings, including Pune, are considerably safer for women than New Delhi. There's also less of a hassle from tourist touts and con artists.

Although I've been to India seven times and lived in Delhi for a year and a half, I've only visited Mumbai once. The impression I got was that locals are much friendlier, in a genuine and not out-to-get-your-money kind of way. Had some nice times drinking chai with police officers and getting drunk with random call center workers along Marine Drive.

All of my female friends living in the city say the same - while it isn't completely safe for women, it's leagues above New Delhi. Less staring, less harassment, and less of a hassle from taxi and auto-rickshaw drivers (in fact, auto-rickshaws aren't allowed to ply the city center's streets. Taxis almost always go by the meter and don't mess around too much with routes).

Getting a SIM card is a pain in the ass in India, as are most other operations and requests which involve some degree of government oversight. Booking train tickets can be a nightmare if you're not willing to pay a commission to receive them.

Don't talk shit about cows, temples, or Narendra Modi.

And please - for fuck's sake - don't start judging the country after spending one week there.

It's a fucked up place, but it has a lot of good if you look beneath the rubbish and pretense alike.

Also, people will treat you more respectfully if you don't dress like a filthy hippie vagrant. Most locals there, regardless of their social class, do not understand why white people who can afford to pay $1k+ in airfare insist on wearing rags into nice restaurants and swanky shopping centers.

Do stay outside of the tourist ghettos. NOBODY bothered me anywhere near my apartment in Delhi, since it wasn't near Paharganj or Connaught Place or any of the other super-touristed places.
>>
>>1280925
>>1280930

Expect a somewhat backwards and conservative country full of mildly awkward but strangely endearing locals.

I'm in Tanzania now and going back to India for an eighth time in October. A lot of the country's initial charm has worn off for me at this point. I thoroughly enjoyed my recent trip to Mexico, as, for the first time in a long while, I didn't feel like an alien from Mars. Nobody stared at me or bothered me or followed me down the streets. Even the beggars and hawkers said "gracias" and walked off without argument when I told them I wasn't interested in whatever they wanted.

My relationship with India is a love-hate ordeal. A lot of people express similar sentiments, and you likely will, too.

Meme-y as it sounds, expect the unexpected, keep an open mind, and don't take the people who try to trick you too seriously. It's just a fact of life there, as a tourist.

Sorry for the long-ass posts, in a tiny fucking village and there's shit-all to do. I type 150 words per minute and write on India often, so this fuckery just pours out.
>>
>>1280934
>I type 150 words per minute
fuckin sick brag bro please tell me more about your type speeds
>>
>>1280930
>Also, people will treat you more respectfully if you don't dress like a filthy hippie vagrant.
You know, people say this about any country, not just India, and I have no idea what exactly constitutes hippie clothing. I generally wear a plain t-shirt and cargo pants when I travel, and I have no idea if I'm pushing it.
>>
>>1281080

XDdddd Xppp

>>1281100

I'm personally not a big fan of cargo pants, but you do you.

"Hippie clothing" refers to a tattered and a ragged look.

In India, you'll see plenty of white folk wearing clothes which are supposed to be indicative of 'enlightenment.' T-shirts with the Om symbol on them, for instance, or which depict drawings of Hindu gods like Ganesha or Shiva.

Have you ever seen the Real Traveler^TM meme photograph of the guy holding a hawk and dressed in dirty, worn clothes?

Like that.

Again, don't worry too much about what others will think of you. It's just general advice based on my experience - if you're a filthy hippie at home, please, by all means, be a filthy hippie when you're traveling.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.