[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Charlotte in NC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Skyline_Night_970x550.jpg (45KB, 620x324px) Image search: [Google]
Skyline_Night_970x550.jpg
45KB, 620x324px
I'll be staying in Charlotte for 3 weeks with my boyfriend who lives in Shelby. We won't have a car but Uber's always an option.
Do you guys have any recommendations for places to visit? So far only the lakes and parks caught my eye but 3 weeks doing only that might get boring.
>>
Go to asheville boone or wilmington
>>
Charlottean here --hat sort of stuff interests you? The Bechtler Museum is good, the Museum of the New South is worth a short visit. Football preseason games start Aug 9 with the Panthers hosting the Texans. The whitewater center ids fun, Carowinds is a decent 2nd-tier theme park.

If oyu have any questions abotu restaurants, tc, I'll keep an eye on this thread.
>>
>>1280822
Medieval Times.

If you're in North Carolina you got to go there.
>>
>>1280917
Wat? There is not one in Charlotte -- there is one in Myrtle Beach, but that i in South Carolina about 4 hours by road trip from Charlotte.
>>
>>1281003
>going to NC instead of SC
Never do this.
>>
>>1280916
How is the public transportation in Charlotte? Is there any /out/ stuff to do that isn't too far away? I'll be taking restaurants recommandations too if you have any

>>1281148
I'm coming from overseas and landing in Charlotte so I thought I might as well stay there as I won't have access to a car except for Uber.
>>
>>1280916
Also where is a good place to stay at? I still haven't booked airbnbs or anything, and we're not really interested in clubs/bars and nightlife so if we could avoid spending too much on accomodations it would be nice.
Somewhere with easy access (within walking distance ideally) to restaurants with a grocery store nearby would be perfect.
>>
check out Howl at the Moon, it's a pretty fun dueling piano bar near the convention center.
>>
>>1281819
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm a foreigner so that may be an unusual question but do you have to be 21 to get in even if you don't plan on drinking any alcohol?
I'm 22 so that's not an issue for me but my boyfriend isn't 21 yet.
>>
Charlotte is boring.

It's all business.
>>
>>1281802
Public transport, as in most mid-sized American cities, is not great. There is a light rail line that runs from uptown out South Blvd, and city buses that feel a bit sketchy but you'll be OK on them. My impression is that cabs are more costly than some cities, but that may be skewed as the only time I use them is to get to the airport; a long haul.

As far as stuff to do, depends what you like. The uptown area(center city) has a couple of decent museums, plenty of places to eat, an entertainment complex that I have not been inside so I can't offer an opinion, a theater complex, an NFL and NBA arena and a minor league baseball stadium. The NFL Panthers are likely the only ones in season while you are here, but there may be events at the other facilities. There is a lacrosse team but I don't know where the fuck they play. Several parks to relax and people-watch are uptown and scattered through the city, most with gentle hiking/walking trails once you get away from uptown. If you can get out of town at all, look up King's Mountain, the Reed Gold Mine, the Raptor Center, and the White Water Center. And Carowinds, but I already mentioned that in the earlier post. Young hip crowd and their artsy shit is concentrated around North Davidson street in an area cloyingly called "NoDa" in imitation of SoHo.

I can't tell you much about B&Bs, since I live here I don't have experience with them, but there are some, and there are plentiful hotels ranging from OK to very nice either Uptown or with access to the Blue Line (so far the Only Line) light rail.

I'll go pull together a list of restaurants I like and post it shortly.

>>1281148

SC has some decent beaches, and if you like kitsch Myrtle Beach is the best. Otherwise, everything in SC is like a pale imitation of NC. They hate us 'cause they ain't us.

Oh, and gas is cheaper there, since they keep the tax on it low and just let their roads and highways go to pot. And fireworks legal, gotta give them that.
>>
>>1282703
Has not been here in the past 15 years. That used to be absolutely correct, it is not any more.
>>
>>1282711
Restaurants I like in Charlotte:

Bao Ding – Chinese slightly updated, delicious food. Near South Park Okra in Black Bean Sauce and Singapore Noodles.

Luce – Italian restaurant uptown, A bit high-end, but a lovely meal.

Mezzanote – Italian place about to miles out of uptown on Providence Road. More midscale price and atmosphere.. A favorite.

Queens Soul Food – Out Independence a few miles from Uptown, this is a cafeteria style place with just about zero atmosphere. But if you want to try “just like mama used to make” Southern Food, this is a good place. Veg will be well and truly cooked compared to other cuisines, and lots of fried stuff. Fried catfish is fired to order and takes five minutes, which is worth it.

Price’s Chicken Coop—An odd one, there is no seating, you take it with you, many folks just eat on the grass. Best fried chicken you ever et, a local tradition. Accessible from Uptown on light rail.

Cowfish Sushi Burger is hugely popular, but tends to be crowded. Not my favorite, but lots of folks like their quirky menu. Adjacent to South Park Mall.

Café Monte – A little Frnech bistro sort of place, near South Park, it is a small restaurant and fills up, make reservations.

Cajun Queen – an old Charlotte restaurant, Cajun food, mid-upscale. Get reservations, on 5th street 2 miles from uptown.

Bistro La Bon – Small plates menu with some traditionally large plates as well. Mid-up scale, on Central Ave. 1 mile from uptown.
>>
>>1282740
(continued)
Japanese places – New Zealand Café about 5 miles out on 5th St/Monroe Rd, great for sushi, very small so you may have to wait. Sushi 101 off ark Road is a bit bigger and also very good. Baku WAS great, but I have not been back since they got a new owner, it is high end. Emzy is right uptown, never been but my son swears by it. Yama Izikawa, right where 10th street changes into Central (next door to Bistro la Bon) is a good “menu” Japanese restaurant with lots of favorite dishes, great ramen and other “bit of this, bit of that fare.

Beef and Bottle -- Old-style steak house. Their are modern high-end steak house chains here, but the old Beef and Bottle is the old-school real deal. Not fancy decor, just a great meal.
f there is a cuisine you like, let me know -- if I'm too heavy on higher-end places, let me know, but I was assuming you might be treating yourself a bit while on vacation. I did leave off the REALLY expensive places, mostly because I don't often eat there.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.