[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just realized that traveling with friends is a nice way to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0006.jpg (2MB, 3247x4870px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0006.jpg
2MB, 3247x4870px
I just realized that traveling with friends is a nice way to either make friendships stronger or totally destroy them.

Currently in Portugal with one of my foreign friends and it's getting unbearable:

>has extremely high expectations of everything and sees everything as boring or negative
>throwing tantrums like a kid when he doesn't get what he wants
>gets pissed off because I didn't give him breakfast with sweet stuff like croissants and etc.
>currently staying at the house of a relative without paying a dime and gets pissed because he expects this to be a hotel
>been driving him around and showing him stuff and he doesn't want to help me pay for gas
>expects people to do everything for him
>he's 29 years old

Jesus Christ. Have you ever had similar experiences?
>>
May I ask where he's from? And how you know him?
>>
>>1280441
Why are you friends with this fag? Are you sure you are?
>>
>>1280449
He's from southern Italy. I know him since he was 15 years old since I live in another country and went to school with him.

>>1280450
Yeah I'm asking the same considering that he's completely different when we hang out as friends.
>>
>>1280441
Same with relationships. I travelled to Atlanta with my ex gf for two days and she was so unbearable I ended the relationship. Travelling is a big part of my life so if I can't stand her for only 2 days then there was no way the relationship was going to work out.
>>
>>1280441
Yeah had the same experience. Travelled with a buddy but the guy was so fucking slow with everything and hated sightseeing. The guy took at least 3 hours(not even fucking kidding) to get ready with showering, doing his hair and stuff like that.
He was also so rude against people working in restaurants
Glad I ditched the guy after a week
>>
>>1280441
>>1280551
>Complain about traveling with brainlets
You should not travel with brainlets at the first place
>>
>>1280441
hi "friend", sleep well tonight.
>>
>>1280441

Recently travelled central europe with a vidya friend. We've known each other for a while and had fun visiting our respective countries, so I thought travelling with him wouldn't be such a bad idea.

This guy later proved to be real fucked up and traveling brought out his true self, what followed was a nightmare:

>not the slightest hint of independence
>had no energy to do anything and slept 12 hours a day because he didn't know how to keep himself fed without mom's cooking
>unbearable sense of entitlement
>quick to anger and prone to outbursts
>never took any initiative regarding anything
>always trying to cheat regarding money whenever he could
>wanted to go home on day 3 because muh gf
>cancelled the last third of the trip
>had to stay at his place in bumfuck eastern europe with zero english speakers for 10 days with nothing to do

Talking to him in his hometown was easier as he had more energy but he still behaved like a coddled baby. I remember him saying it would take 50 minutes to walk a km, and when I said it instead would take around 15 minutes he flared up and couldn't accept it even in face of direct proof.
I Spent those last days either watching series all day or acting as the third wheel to him and his gf, who was significantly younger than him. It was weird seeing how his manchild-tier behavior was being actively enabled by his family members, with his dad acting as his personal driver even though this guy had his own car.

I now regret not leaving earlier as soon as the red flags appeared and wasted a month of my life telling myself I already paid for it, OP you shouldn't travel with someone who obviously doesn't enjoy it
>>
>>1280577
Yeah he was a fucking brainlet. The dude could only talk about girls. When we were walking on the streets at his snailpace, he would talk with me about EVERY GIRL he saw on the street. When we were at a hostel he could only talk about girls he saw at the streets with people in the hostel.
He was also so delusional about girls staring at him, he would say that every chick was definitely checking him out. It's not so bad if he only told me it a couple of times, not when it happens literally every fucking 2 minutes because of course there are girls walking on the streets godfuckingdamnit
Travelling with him was a nightmare, i'll never travel with anyone ever again
>>
I spent 11 days in Portugal with my gf..

It was good. I had to plan mostly everything, but she never complained.
>>
This is something that nobody ever really wants to bring up, but it's true. Sometimes, you go on vacation with a friend and after it's over, you never hear from that person ever again
>>
With a very good childhood friend conquering NYC
>Me:Quite experienced in solo-travelling. hate being told where to go, what to do without being asked. Then I can get really fast stubborn and passive-aggressive. Just want to wander around, look at people, take a seat and absorb the city. If I feel uncomfortable, I just go back to the hostel
>He: says where were heading to, takingthe leader role. Wants to visit the hotspots, seems a bit stressed cuz we dont have that much time. Tells me to walk faster.

In the end we both accepted the others characteristics and decided to split ourselves, just so everyone is happy.
Nevertheless it was amazing and we still are good friends. But probably wont travel together anymore
>>
>>1280441
>>been driving him around and showing him stuff and he doesn't want to help me pay for gas
To be fair OP, if you offer to drive someone, you really shouldn't expect them to pay for gas, unless you straight up ask them to and they agree.
If you can't afford to pay for gas yourself, you probably shouldn't be driving.
>>
What the OP said is spot on. If you travel with a friend ALL unresolved or unspoken irritations will eventually come out. It will either strenghten your bond or make things awkward for the both of you.
>>
I think this is probably the best thread to ask this in, instead of making a new one...

So I'm about to start travelling the US with a childhood friend of mine. We've never lived together before so this will be a bit of a change.

Problem is, I really want to meet local women and generally take things slower/stay in one place and basically do nothing except just live. I also want to do some solo-travelling, because i'm worried that if we just hang out with each other it will cheapen the whole experience. I want to meet new people, couchsurf at peoples houses etc

Hes really excited to meet up, and looking forward to it, so how the hell do you manage these expectations and not ruin a friendship?
>>
>>1280441
>Currently in Portugal with one of my foreign friends
Unless you are Portuguese, you are fkn foreign.
>>
I was very pissy last time I went to New York with my buddies, but that's because all they wanted to do was window shop.

I ditched them. Walked around, went to bars, some clubs. The only time I enjoyed with them is when I got stupid stoned without their knowledge and when we went to the Comedy cellar.

I know I was the one being the problem, but I couldn't take it man. "Lets go into every store in Manhattan and look at shit we can't buy".

No thanks.
>>
>>1280441
I'm 29 and have had one day off all July f u
>>
>>1281167
>>Me:Quite experienced in solo-travelling. hate being told where to go, what to do without being asked. Then I can get really fast stubborn and passive-aggressive. Just want to wander around, look at people, take a seat and absorb the city.

I'm exactly the same way.
>>
>>1280441
What the actual fuck OP. I'd leave his ass in the goddamn embassy if somebody treated me that way.
>>
>>1280867
>i'll never travel with anyone ever again
don't say this just because you had a memorable experience with a weirdo. most of the people which travel for the sake of travel are outgoing, curious, independent and open minded. keep connecting with real travellers (not The Real Travellerâ„¢) and enjoy yourself.
>>
>>1280549
Did some travel with my ex, a lot of times she became just like a stonewall. Like for example when we were in berlin, every time we were in public transport she wouldn't talk, wouldn't like any physical contact, straight up ignored me, snapped at me when I asked what time it is. Or when we were in italy or spain and it was too hot for her you couldn't hold her hand or talk to her nicely. Then when she had cooled down she was the sweetest girl again. When we did stuff she liked she was nice, went to a concert of a band in berlin that she really liked but that I would never listen to. I did stuff just because she liked it so much and I wanted to take part in that, but when it came to visit a historical site I wanted to see she ignored the fuck out of me or stuff you got to see there. It was just a drag
>>
>>1281167
Doesn't sound too bad and you handled it like grown ups
>>
File: 1500958819077.jpg (664KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1500958819077.jpg
664KB, 1920x1200px
>>1280441
Traveling with friends is a big gamble, you really get to know a person through it.

I figure that before I marry someone, I'll first take her on a trip with little planning and see how she takes the experience. If she can't handle trivial things like hot water going out, or a few train delays, I don't see how I'd want to get myself into a big commitment with her.
>>
>>1281485
What's your problem
>>
>>1280631
This would make a good independent film
>>
>>1280441
I went to Nepal with a good friend of mine in November and we had a great time. Very little disagreement/discourse during our 2 week stay.

I can't even remember a specific conflict we had.

Anyways we came back to the states and he started dating this girl and got her pregnant in like a 3 month timeframe. I've hung out with him a handful of times since we've been back because he's too busy LARPing as a dad.

So even if you have a successful trip with someone, who's to say they won't just drift off anyways?
>>
Anyone else visit museums with friends? Shit is tiring. I promised myself the next time I go to a foreign museum I will go by myself because everytime I go with friends they lose interest and get bored within 5m.

If I spend 20-30 euro on a museum you bet your ass Im gonna spend an afternoon soaking in the art. Maybe I need new travel buddies
>>
>>1281382
This post has made me write a list of all the unresolved and unspoken issues I have with my friend who I'm traveling with next month for the first time. There's more than I realised...
>>
I like to walk to places as opposed to taking public transportation so that I not only get to experience more stuff, but get in more cardio to justify eating like a degenerate hog while on vacation.

Thankfully the two people I've experienced nothome places with were happy to oblige.
>>
This is a general phenomenon I don't understand

Why do people hang out with/befriend people who are clearly terrible? I know some people hide their vices or behaviors, but you should be able to figure out in a relatively short amount of time whether someone is a giant dildo or cool to hang with.
>>
>>1281493
Travelling with family is kind of soured by this - they spent hours in crummy gift shops and half of our group basically wanted nothing to do with museums holding some of the most famous art in the world.

Like other people have pointed out here, we did better once we split off into 2 or 3 groups.
>>
>>1285976
People can surprise you with their bullshit, when you travel with them or live in together.

>Invited by my friend Nick to go with him and 3 others on their vacation.
>They go to the beach every summer in North Carolina, they never shut up about it.
>I bring my pregnant wife and meet them there.
>All they want to do is smoke weed and watch TV.
>Friend Nick acts like giant faggot the entire time. He argues with his gf every morning and throughout the day, won't drink with us, won't play ping pong, swim, or do anything fun with us, and he wanted to fight me and the other 2 guys just to prove he could win 3 on 1.
>Let his brother borrow 50$ so he could afford to come with us. He never pays me back and tries to eat my food and use my things (shut him down the 1st day, very awkward afterwords.)
>Told us about a "cool" arcade 45 minutes away. We get there and it's worse than a Chuck E. Cheese, just some greasy diner with a few arcade games. The food is expensive, so they drive us to Hardees! Of all the fucking places to eat.
>I had never been to the beach, spent most of my time swimming and walking. >Everyone except my wife is too scared to get in the water, there were a few shark attacks that summer.

They talked all year about the beach and the dipshits wouldn't even get in the water! I lost respect for all of them, don't see them much anymore.
>>
>>1280441

Went with best friend on week to Madrid (neither experienced traveler).
By the third day I regretted going with him.
By the fourth I was ready to kill him.

when we got back, I didn't call him for a week because I needed some time without listening to his indifferent apathetic voice and little vocal ticks and other annoyances. I swore to never travel with a friend again, and at the very least always take my own room.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.