[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is the vagabond lifestyle heavily romanticized?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: 1482220221692.jpg (342KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1482220221692.jpg
342KB, 800x600px
From reading some stories on the board and on some other places on the internet, it seems like there are a mix of travelers, some who are homeless by choice and some who have been homeless for the majority of their lives.
I'm trying to figure out, if for someone like me, coming from a middle class family, with an opportunity to go to college, if this lifestyle would even be worth it.
I have a vision in my head, of wandering from place to place, not settling down. Experiencing new places, new people, new hopes, new dreams, new fears, new life, etc. It's really romanticized in my head, but for some reason I feel like even though it is romanticized, there has to be some truth in that romance, if that makes sense?
I know that it also depends on how you carry yourself. Someone on here said something along the lines of, "You can either look like a dirty bum hating the world, or you can look like a clean backpacker with a positive attitude."
I'm wondering if that can make a difference on how one's experience on the streets unfolds. I'm wondering if looking after your hygiene, and maintaining a positive and meditative mindset can make this whole vagabond thing a lot more fulfilling than if you let yourself fall into alcohol and a dark and depressing mindset.
Basically what i'm trying to figure out is if your experiences on the road can either be a beautiful or terrible experience depending on the choices you make? You can either choose to rely on other people or you can try to find small gigs or jobs and make money that way while you're going from place to place.
Wisdom from experienced travelers would be much appreciated. <3
>>
>>1279006
Most normal people just travel now and then. I am sorry to say but all travel costs money. Those who live like a true bum, will almost always be unhappy, unless you are a greek philosofer.

Go to college, and travel now and then. Vagebonding never pays off unless you are the 1/100000 people who could live that live.
>>
aight my man I hear you
what you want my man is a little thing us travelers call getting laid
>>
>>1279006
Just get working visa for a country you want to get some temp work in, save up cash, then move on travelling . Repeat ad infinitum

Dont need to make a stupid thread to know that
>>
>>1279006
It is heavily romanticized and definitely not for everyone. We all have our views on travel, I don't think I personally would want to go somewhere on the other side of the world and not be sure if I will eat that day or week and if I will have to sleep on the streets surrounded by tropical bugs and rats for example. It also doesn't seem like they have any respect, from the locals, from the other tourists, from everyone who they come across really.

You really don't need that much money to travel, if you do it long term then obviously you will but if you're young and poor travel for a short time, find work and save up, travel for a while again and repeat. You can even go and work/travel in other countries, get yourself a work holiday visa somewhere and enjoy the adventure. But being a vagabond is almost a subculture in itself, I think you have to be really into it to fully enjoy it and there will be many days where you will not enjoy the experience.
>>
>>1279009
>go to college
Good goy. get into 60k debt and no jobs because shit economy
>>
Every vagabond I've met in America is miserable, and getting more miserable by the day.
Every one I've met elsewhere is reasonably happy.
These trends are too strong for me to ignore.
>>
>coming from a middle class family, with an opportunity to go to college, if this lifestyle would even be worth it.

Middle class family and college is gonna mean high interest student loan debt, which means you're gonna be a homeless bum whether you think it's romantic or not.

Go start a career in trades. Get an apprenticeship.

Learn to weld and then learn to scuba and be an underwater welder and let BP fly you all over the world to weld pipes on offshore oil platforms n shit.

Be an electrician and skip the college debt and get paid 90 bucks an hour and then just take that money and go wherever you want.

Be a plumber, same shit. Charge some random yuppy housewife a hundred bucks to drive to her house and snake her drain. That's not bad for two bucks worth of gas and 15 minutes of work.

Honestly trades are great and are in demand right now because all the pussy kids like you are going off to college because their baby boomer participation trophy moms don't want their kids working real jobs with dirt under their fingernails.

You'll make enough money to travel if you build a good career in skilled labor without the shitty college debt, and if you work in a big enough field, you might even get paid to travel to build something cool.

My father is a general contractor with no college education and got paid to go to Tahiti and build a mansion for the Catholic mission there. Then he went golfing with the Samoan king.

I went to college and became the first person in my family to get a 4 year degree, and I just finally paid off my student loan after 9 years of vampirism, and people call me one of the fortunate ones for having paid off in "only 9 years."

Go learn a trade and you'll find work without debt and you won't have to worry about being one of those Jack Kerouac On the Road pussies.
>>
Have you met a vaginabond in real life? I've met a few and they look miserable.

>got change for the bus?
wtf its 1$
>spare a cig?
dude get a job

They smell, look like shit, and spend half their income on dreads and tattoos.

Do yourself a favour and go to school to find something you can do abroad, maybe teach english, move, rinse and repeat for a few years. You'll grow out of this phase when you're 40 looking in a mirror as your friends back home fuck their wives in a nice house.
>>
>>1279006
I'm pretty much a lifelong vagabond. Read all the comments here and what people think of me, that is what they will think of you. Do you care? Are you ok with that?

i stay in good health, and I work so I always have money coming in even it it's just a little. People still look down on my lifestyle from time to time though.

>>1279222
very true, I don't know how long this has been true. I'm American and I can't reconcile the life of balance b/w work and travel here. I also have a hard time with how oblivious people are to it.
>>
>>1279667
>life
*lack
>>
>>1279120
>no jobs
someone has never heard of math, engineering, or computer science
>>
>>1280332
We can't all be autistic.
>>
File: c4a.jpg (23KB, 600x484px) Image search: [Google]
c4a.jpg
23KB, 600x484px
>>1279120
>he doesn't have the GI bill
>>
>>1279006

I think the appeal wears off as most people get older.

I did a lot of hitchhiking in Europe and the Middle-East when I was a teenager and in my very early twenties.

Now, only several years later, I don't feel the same inclination to continue traveling like that. I still love being abroad, but I enjoy having a stable Internet connection, a place to sleep, and enough money to not have to check my bank account balance every other hour.

The 'charm' of not knowing whether I'll have enough to make it another week wore off some time ago.
>>
>>1279006
>I'm wondering if that can make a difference on how one's experience on the streets unfolds. I'm wondering if looking after your hygiene, and maintaining a positive and meditative mindset can make this whole vagabond thing a lot more fulfilling than if you let yourself fall into alcohol and a dark and depressing mindset
It's possible. Unless you have regular and fixed access to a bathroom, it's incredibly hard, though. You'd be surprised how much your sense of hygiene informs your sense of self-worth. If you're going to do this long-time, be advised that (in the best case) low-grade alcoholism is pretty much inevitable.
>finding small-time gigs
If you're legal (working holidays, visa-exempt), this is possible. Work that casual will by its nature be shitty and/or shit pay. If you're illegal, your situation will be even shittier. Think picking olives for £200/month in the sweltering 45° sun.

People who are homeless by choice are few and far between, and most of them have serious mental disease.
I'm not discouraging you, but I'd reconsider. You don't seem mentally ill.
>>
>>1280332
Yes goy, study to make me more rich, renounce your aspirations dear gentile

Memes aside, OP, there's a difference between being an homeless bum (some romanticize that as well, but I can't see why anyone would like to become that), and not staying in a fixed place for more than 1/2 years. Sometimes it's normal for young people to pick a random place, find an easy job there and come back 1 year later with some cash, you just need to rinse and repeat. Of course you need to have no ties to your own society, and I guess when you'll be 40 and tired you'll want to settle down. I think you should at least accept to have a home to come back to, if only to plan the next travel.
>>
>>1279006

i just spend 3-4 weeks in asia during the summer.

i have met some people that just live in hostels but it seems like a pretty shitty life to never truly form lasting relationships/friendships and trying to care about a new group of strangers every week.

money wouldnt be a huge issue depending on where you go though... plenty of places you could live on ~$5/day
>>
>>1281111
>>>/pol/
>>
>>1281112
know what you mean. First time I was thinking it was so cool, but now I realize how many people must pass through in just one week looking for an "experience" and how artificial it all is.
>>
>>1279006
been travelling for a while.
gets lonely so you've gotta be in it for a reason.

can imagine myself doing it a bit longer but it's not a permanent life thing, I think those cases are pretty rare. humans need community.

a poor analogy is that it is like a practical liberal arts education, seeing worldviews etc and getting life experience.

that being said travelling for a purpose is good. say you do art / music etc and you pilgrim between different spots. that's always rewarding.
>>
>>1279006
then again - born alone, die alone. all relationships are transitory and surface level transactional arrangements at the end of the day. If you can't be comfortable with yourself you'll always be subservient to other people imo.
>>
There's a way to be a traveler responsibly and irresponsibly. The 'vagabond' crustpunk lifestyle is completely overromanticized, and while you may be able to see some cool sights and meet some cool people, the reality is that you'll be picking through trash and living in squatter camps with smelly opiate addicts and unneutered dogs 99% of the time, while everyone on the street avoids you.

If you get a degree that makes you a valuable worker, particularly in tech since they tend to give better vacation benefits, you can see pretty much everything that a 'vagabond' can for a couple weeks a year without sacrificing basic necessities. If you can do part- or full-time remote work, you can even genuinely spend all your time traveling on a high income.

But if you choose the gutterpunk vagabond lifestyle, you will be making a grave mistake no matter how 'positive' you think you are. The people around you will constantly get sick and die, you'll have to derail your travels so that your companions can hustle for drug/booze money (even if you don't end up using yourself (lol)), the police you take for granted will now see you as a nuisance, etc. The only people this lifestyle works for are the ones whose lives were fucked up to begin with. Middle-class teens need not apply.
>>
>>1279006
Being homeless sucks. There is nothing glorious about it, and people can tell you're a vagabond regardless of how seemingly hygienic you are. You're also a cop magnet in many places. It's just not worth it unless you have alot of money and a car. Of course, then you wouldn't be a vagabond.
>>
>>1279385
This is the only correct answer to the thread. Sometimes I suspect that /trv/ is full of teenage basement dwelling hermits who have never left their home city, nevermind their home country. This thread confirms it.
>>
File: IMG_0069.jpg (170KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0069.jpg
170KB, 960x720px
I have been on the road for about two years now.

It is ALL about the attitude you have. Your success will depend entirely on your ability to get others to like you. A lot of people in the world are lonely. They are willing to give you anything if you can offer them love.
You will meet lots of bum travelers that are down and out. Just don't let it affect you. You can easily and keep up your hygiene and be positive, especially if you're young.
Be the badass positive adventurer that has a hunger for the world and anything will be possible.
Hitchhiking is easier than ever in the states. Lots of retired baby boomers are more than willing to listen to some tales in exchange for room and board.

Money will never be an issue. All depending on where you are in the world, there are always niche ways of making dough. My expenses in the states averaged $3 per day. I found a construction job that paid $1000 for a week's work. In key west, I made $150 in one night giving coconuts to people as they fed me and bought beer.
Right now, in Guatemala, I fly paragliders and make $80 per flight. I can do up to 5 trips on a good day.

Just go for it! It is way easier than you think.
>>
File: 1495267018481.jpg (56KB, 600x581px) Image search: [Google]
1495267018481.jpg
56KB, 600x581px
>>1279385
>>1281447
The definition of what makes a person a vagabond varies, I think you are just talking about homeless people. While I don't like homeless people, I don't think I would ever take advice from someone toxic enough to kick them while they are down.
>>
>>1281447
What the hell are you talking about? Most people were saying the same thing.
>>1279120
t. jealous NEET/low-skill wageslave/blue-collar mongoloid/teenager
>>
>>1281521
>While I don't like homeless peop
*While I would never want to be a homeless person
>>
>>1281521
I hate to say it man, but aside from trustfund backpackers, RV nomads, remote workers, and other people of means, there's really not much of a distinction between homeless people and "vagabonds". Look a little more into the subculture. The only differences between the homeless guy at the bus stop and the trainhopper is that the trainhopper moves around and is more likely to live/"work" in groups, and that the trainhopper intentionally cultivates their grimy aesthetic.
>>
>>1281507
Sorry for the Off-topic.
I'm going to central america later this year, just wanted to ask, how is the hitchhiking there or in Mexico?
>>
Been basically doing that for half a year now, granted, combined with WWOOF'ing.

I'm in Japan on a Working Holiday Visa. Heading to Australia after, then New Zealand, Canada, Argentina, maybe Chile, then I don't know.

I sold everything I had at home and scraped together around 10 grand. I've been living out of my backpack and hitchhiked.

I've met quite a lot of people and have had experiences that I'd never gotten through regular travelling. Currently I'm staying with someone I met through a WWOOF host and helping him out remodeling a house he just bought.

I can definitely see the lifestyle not being for most people, but if you don't have any real need for possessions or material wealth, then it's an adventure of a lifetime.
>>
>>1281697
Had no problem crossing from Cancun to Merida in Mexico and Rio Dulce to Guatemala city in Guatemala.
But to be honest, I was nervous on some of the rides. Nothing ever came close to happening but I had my heart beating once or twice.
>>
>>1281708
Sounds amazing, anon. Inspiering
>>
When I was abroad I met lots of people who would work for a bit then travel for a while then work, travel, repeat.

It seemed to work for them. I didn't try to work so I was just burning cash, but many people had been traveling for a year or more.

They weren't, like, homeless though. They were staying in hostels and making friends and whatnot.

Go when you're young. Once you hit 25-30 you have to start sleeping regularly at night, and you can't just sleep easily weird places.
>>
>>1279370
This. Same problem happened in Australia as what seems to be currently happening in the USA; university was seen as the main avenue for all students, with many people believing they could 'be anything they wanted to be'. It was all horseshit obviously and until quite recently tradies were highly sought after due to their stupidly low supply in some fields.
>>
>>1281194
>meme nihilism
if you are that reductionist about it, then you're not even making a point, just moaning about how we'll all die one day.
>>
>>1282154
Do you speak spanish?
>>
>>1281507
>150$ in one day

whoa mahn .. book the cruise already
>>
>>1281521
no I wasn't talking about homeless people.. I was talking about vagabonds.

Eyes on the prize anon, google is your friend.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.