[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Digital Nomad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

I'm going into my senior year in accounting at a large public school, interning at a large company, and having existential crises every day. I've been reading about DN nonstop. What are your opinions /trv/
>>
What is there to think about? Pick a sex tourism hotspot and bring your laptop.

Congratulations, you are now a 'digital nomad'.
>>
I love these flavour of the month jobs. Youtuber, digital nomad, day trader, english teacher.. I hope the next one is as entertaining as this.
>>
>>1278944
>flavour of the month

some of those jobs have existed for decades

Anyway, I make $40 an hour doing photoshop work, planning on moving to Budapest soon. Was just in Taipei.
>>
>>1278993
retouching?
>>
>>1278912

>take an extremly simple concept
(working remotely and living wherever you want)
>put some kind of meme name on it
>(digital nomad)
>make an e-book that tells dumbasses how to do something that anyone with an iq over 80 could figure out
>make mad dosh off of losers buying your secret method book.
>>
Digital nomad is just a way of saying it that makes you appear more interesting to people who don't know much on the subject. A digital nomad can be someone who does one of a million different things on their laptop, and can earn anywhere from $0.05 an hour to millions a year. It's a bullshit term really because anyone with a laptop can be a digital nomad.

Look, it's not easy these days because you're competing with 1000s of others doing the exact same. It's kinda funny how people start blogging thinking they're the next best thing except that now a days almost everyone has a blog and thinks the same. For many jobs you're competing with some Bangladeshis who do it for 1/3 of the price you'd do it at.

Basically it's like with anything else in the world. If you're amazing at something people will recognize it and pay for it. If you're just an average fella you're going to have to accept whatever you can get and it's not going to be great.
>>
>>1278912
>arching their backs that much
>still no ass
like no one will notice
>>
>>1278997
Retouching, removing logos, uploading, keywording.
>>
>>1278912
I quit my job in February to be a digital nomad. I do e-commerce and affiliate marketing. Started as a passive income side project, but now it's full time. I do have a one bedroom apartment and a storage unit in Atlanta to keep most of my stuff, but my goal is to travel most of the year from now on. So far out of seven months this year, I've been abroad for about five. I spent the last few months traveling around Europe. Going to Cuba next month, Puerto Rico in September, then Kenya in November. I'm 23 and learned just about everything I know about e-commerce and affiliate marketing from YouTube.
>>
>>1279058
Do you rent apartments short term, airbnb, or what?
>>
>>1278993
Yeah, but how much do you make a year? Just curious.
>>
hey OP, id recommend finishing school first. Just start planning out a giant trip for next year and then you'll have something to look forward to
>>
>>1278912
I went into IT because I was told that it was a job that I can do from anywhere with remote access etc BUT in reality my current job has me spending a lot of time installing new hardware or maintaining existing stuff in a closet or on a rack on site.

What did I fuck up? Does anyone have any advice someone on the similar career paths can tell me how to do things properly?
>>
>>1279075
I was originally doing it part time, but I ramped my hours up starting on the 11th of this month. I've made $1695 since then.
>>
>>1279074
Depending on where you go, you can do some long term airbnb rentals for reasonable prices. In Kenya and a lot of other third world countries, you can rent a place for like $500 or less per month.
>>
>>1279097
Christ how much do you people pay for rent?

In Kansas you can rent the same for $500 a month including utilities. When you said 3rd world countries are cheap I was expecting a number that is actually, well cheap.
>>
>>1279115
In Serbia small apartment (around 30sqm) is around $200

Our average salaries are around $300-400
>>
File: 867876868.png (2MB, 1179x747px) Image search: [Google]
867876868.png
2MB, 1179x747px
>>1279115
You're lucky. In Atlanta, the average one bedroom apartment costs around $1,300 per month. When I lived in a two bedroom I was paying ~$1,800 per month, not including utilities. So for me, $500 per month on an Airbnb is a steal. It's a foreign country so it's like vacation, and you don't have to sign a contract or lease. And the prices can be less than $500. Just depends on how nice you wanna live. You can find plenty of nice places with beachfront views and pools in Colombia, Dominican Republic, Thailand, etc for like $400 monthly. If you don't care about nice amenities, it can get down to the $300 range.

Pic related. This place in Thailand is $423 per month, and it's beachfront.
>>
>>1279137
What part of Serbia are you talking about? Prices on the coastline of Montenegro and Croatia are about the same as that, and obviously preferable since most of Serbia (and really most of inland Balkans) is not a good place to visit
>>
>>1279155
I'm Bosnian and I approve of this message.
>>
>>1279151
Fucking ridiculous. Atlanta is horrible despite what people on 4chan often claim, but I also would never pay $1,300 to live there.
>>
>>1279173
is NOT*
Kek sorry
>>
>>1279173

irl people say Atlanta is shit too, not just 4chan.

Just checked Numbeo and it is indeed $1300 for a one-bedroom in city center, $900 for outside the centre. Shit.
>>
You're right the name is a lame memeish name but I knew everyone would know what I was talking about
>>
>>1279058
Can you tell me more? As an accounting guy most of the stuff I read online is about webdev and programming abroad
>>
>>1279077
Thanks, I had no intention of dropping out of school. The hard part is that I know I should buckle down and study for the CPA, get a bit of work experience, then suddenly it's 4 years away
>>
>>1279058
wow i'm the same age and don't even know what kind of remote work i want to do yet you are ahead of the curve for sure
looking into drop shipping and Website building
also looking at more generic stuff like online assistant and Home call center/serves worker
>>
>>1278993
>40$/hr
>1 hour per week
>like 2000$/yr

wow anon you got it made! how can a regular workaday guy like me break into this extremely lucrative and fast paced career? Please! I have money to cover any sign up fees.
>>
>>1279274
Work 14 hours a week.
Problem solved.
>>
>>1279274
>>1 hour per week
who would do this?
>>
Shit you can do instead of being a "Digital Nomad"

BARTENDER- Get tipped ridiculously to open beer bottles for people. Get good at it and work at higher traffic, busier bars, and get even better. Rent a shitty hovel walking distance from work, but save all your money and own a home on a beach in some developing equatorial island nation and win at life being Captain America to the local brown QTs.

SERVER- Like bartender, but work at nice restaurants with good tips. See above for lifestyle choices.

ALMOST ANY JOB WITH A VASECTOMY AND THE ABILITY TO BOIL WATER- Don't wife up. Don't have kids. That shit costs money. You can go wherever you want whenever you want on pretty much any level of income as long as you're not attached. Also stop going to the damn drive-thru and paying 8 or 9 bucks everyday for fries and a coke. Learn to boil water and eat at home and you'll end up eating for only a couple bucks a day, if that.

HAVE A REAL CAREER- Get so good at what you do that people offer to fly you around to hold seminars and talks and shit.

Seriously if you want to backpack across southeast asia or whatever while you're on summer vacation from university or some shit that's fine, but don't be a grown ass adult and be one of these tools that goes out for some chump change instagram meme internet job so you can earn barely enough money to make a bunkbed in a hostel your office. Just stop spending on frivolous shit and dont do things that tie you down, you can work a real job and still travel.
>>
>>1279115
>Kansas
That's because nobody wants to live there and there are hardly any jobs.

I'm in Taiwan, and you can rent a crappy concrete box for $200/month. My modern high-rise top-floor apartment with a view of the ocean is roughly $650/month. Try getting that in Kansas.

As far as work, if you're young and cute and speak English, you can walk in off the street and make enough from an ESL school to pay for such a "luxury" apartment. If you have any decent skills you can live quite decently. My net savings rate when I was working was US$25K/yr. That's after paying all taxes, all expenses, and not paying any attention to budgeting. Then again, I don't go out drinking every night. For every year of working I can sit around and relax for two years.
>>
>>1279362
post is useless to me becuase while i don't want ti be a nomad i wnat to move out of the US and i would prefer to have remote work since i have looked into getting work in the counties i'm interested in and english teaching seems to be the only thing available
>>
>>1279274
The fuck are you talking about? Who said I work one hour a week? Right now I'm doing a few hours a day, more than enough to pay all my expenses and save money while exploring a country.
>>
>>1279386
Was that as a TEFL teacher? How difficult is it to get work without any kind of prior experience? Been thinking about doing it for a year or two, and Taiwan is one of the places that appeals to me.

Where I am now it'd be difficult to save half of that in a year.
>>
How easy is it to work in bars in places like China/South Korea/SEA? I didn't realize that was an option--can you do this on a tourist visa?
>>
>>1279494
how did you learn to do photoshop stuff? college degree? course?
>>
Accounting is like the worst choice for this. You will have literally no free time no matter where you end up and the pay isn't good either. Although once you get your CPA options should open abroad, although you probably won't make as much as you would just staying in the U.S. and it would be pretty retarded to move at that point.
>>
>>1279682
That's got to be devastating for op
anyone know what skill you can learn in about 1-2 years that would make a good remote job?
>>
>>1279670
Lol. You can't legally be a bartender in China or Korea as far as I'm aware. Even with a working holiday in Korea, you're not supposed to do anything that might "taint the image of your home country" ie. no bar-tending. This is what I found from when I researched it a few years ago. Decided to teach instead.

>>1279576
You need a Uni degree and TEFL certificate at minimum. Most schools really want someone with experience. I had multiple job offers with one year experience.
>>
>>1279151
You probably shouldn't live your life traveling if you don't know the value of money.
>>
>>1279682
This. Most accountants i know have to travel to their clients constantly for some retarded reason and cant even work at home, let alone in another country.
>>
>>1279670
Only in Sihanoukville serving other backpackers. In China nobody would hire you as a bartender because you don't speak Chinese.
>>
>>1278912
The only way to be a digital nomad is to write college papers for rich Gulf Arabs remotely
>>
>>1279236
>then suddenly it's 4 years away
Yeah sorry anon but life is hard and you've only got 3 or 4 years of your 20s max you can waste before you're in an unrecoverable situation

Life is much better with money. Just saying
>>
>>1278912
>I'm going into my senior year in accounting at a large public school, interning at a large company
Your whole career path COUNTS on you not being an unreliable quitter, and being a grunt for a couple of years. Park this dream on the back burner until you have about 5 years living expenses saved, or until you have investments you can live off of.
>>
>>1280252
chances are he's so horny that telling him to wait until he's 36 to live out his dream is not going to work
>>
>>1278912
marry, kill, fuck
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.