[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bicycle travel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: cycle-clipart-bike_silhouette.png (222KB, 6409x4139px) Image search: [Google]
cycle-clipart-bike_silhouette.png
222KB, 6409x4139px
I'm bored and i have a lot of free time (possibly for the last time in my life), so i'm slowly generating increasingly stupid ideas. My current idea is to ride on bicycle something over 1000km from near sea side of Poland to Hungary, and then back.

How close to masochism do you think this idea is, considering that my greatest biking achivement so far was riding ~20km per day to college and back? Will i suffer from bad weather? Or from any possible effects of biking all day (except obvious, exhaustion)? My current physical abilities are probably hitting the rock bottom right now, but i hope i'll get better with every day of biking. If i'll need time to rest, i'll just stop for a day somewhere, fortunately i don't have to keep tight schedule.

Also, i intend to spend most of my nights in a tent, with couple of exceptional hostel stays for proper shower and good bed. Do you think this kind of savant poorfag travel is a bad idea? I'd stay somewhere near ponds if possible, wash myself after day of cycling in those ponds with soap. Is it absolutely necessary to have those pro biking clothes, or do i have a chance to keep my skin on my legs even in a pair of shorts?

Not to mention that my bike is far from good. I actually have a petrol engine slapped on it right now, and the bike wasn't really lightweight to begin with, so i'm sure it weights over 20kg (10kg engine + 10kg bike). With bags, tent, food, clothes, hanfdul of tools and other necessities it will probably weight stupidly much.

I don't want to remove engine though, i love idea of connecting it back and still making kilometers while resting, and people who see it always react somehow to it which kinda makes me happy. That being said, most of travelling would be done on pedals, with engine being more of an emergency booster/exhaustion reliever.

tl;dr i want to bike a lot and i don't bike much, my bike is also heavy, will i die or hate myself for doing it?
>>
File: IMG_8775.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8775.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>How close to masochism do you think this idea is, considering that my greatest biking achivement so far was riding ~20km per day to college and back?
Depends entirely on you. Shouldn't be a problem though. Just slow down and take rests if you think you're too much of a fuccboi to continue cycling.
>Will i suffer from bad weather?
Depends on the weather and how bad a dude you are to cycle through rainy days.
>Or from any possible effects of biking all day (except obvious, exhaustion)?
Might get some cramps or a sore ass if you're saddle is shit. Apart from that, nothing really assuming you're a healthy individual.
>Do you think this kind of savant poorfag travel is a bad idea?
Not at all. Why would it be?
>Is it absolutely necessary to have those pro biking clothes, or do i have a chance to keep my skin on my legs even in a pair of shorts?
I do bicycle trips in cargo shorts and jeans. Don't want to look like those racing fags in their tryhard homo outfits. Never had a problem.
>Not to mention that my bike is far from good.
This might be a problem.
Personally I think carrying to much stuff on your bicycle if the worst mistake you can do. You will be awfully slow on an overloaded bicycle. Try packing all your shit on your bike and go for a test ride to see if you can manage acceptable speeds like that. I'd drop the engine though.
>>
>>1278242
damn, i really love my engine. This little chink piece of shit was brought to perfection after entire year of trial and error, although vibrations on the handlebars probably don't make it suitable for all day long ride. It's relatively lightweight two-stroke, will +10kg really make this much of a difference?

On the other hand, going there purely and exclusively on my own sounds a little bit nicer than going there with the engine, even if it wouldn't be used as a main source of power. It's good to know that normal clothes are alright.

I guess trying before doing sounds reasonable. I'll try to pedal with the engine attached (but not used) to the nearest water resort place, it's 80 km from me. If i feel like it wasn't good enough, i'll remove it.

>Why would it be?
Thunderstorms, wild animals, general downsides of living in a small box made of cloth near the forest. But i guess it shouldn't be a problem after all, maybe except the possibility of long rain period.
>>
File: IMG_6345.jpg (1MB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6345.jpg
1MB, 2272x1704px
>>1278250
>+10kg really make this much of a difference?
Absolutely. A couple of kilos often make the difference between being able to ride up a hill and having to walk your bike in my experience. Expect to be several km/h slower with an extra +10kg attached to your bike.

But as said, pack your bike and go for a test ride to see if the weight bothers you with your engine. Bicycle touring is somewhat of an edgy hobby. There's lots of different ways to go about it and little advice that everybody agrees upon. I wholeheartedly recommend packing as light as possible though.
>>
Will you die no, but you will probably overpack like hell...
Tenth, sleeping bag, rain gear and 1-2 sets of change cloths
>you don't want to look like a homeless nigger after a day or two
>you don't want to have all your shit wet after the first lil bit of rain and yes thunderstorms happen and will fuck your shit up
That will be 10kg+ of weight you have to carry.
Now add some basic food and drink needs for a comfy 15kmh pace over 4h on mostly flat terrain ride (60km)
>you want about 0.5l per hour of water at least
>you want at least 150kcal/hour on top of your usual meals, nuts are your friend
and you have another 2.5kg to carry not even covering your usual meals.
Oh well you want some tools/parts to keep your bike alive or change a flat tier...
Another 1kg...

So it's you, a 10kg bike and at least 15kg of equipment to carry...
I can already tell you that you will hate your 80km/day ride with additional 10kg of your motor.
On top of that almost every country might fuck your shit up for a home made moped without proper papers up to confiscating it on the spot.
>>
Alright, i tried to do my 10km college route with engine on the bike, but disconnected from the wheel. If +10kg reduced my average time by over 5kmph, i guess it would indeed be a bother with another 10kg of things.

also
>>1278268
>rain gear
what exactly is rain gear? i thought i'd just get some kind of glasses, piece of string to hang my wet clothes outside and probably rain jacket. Is there any better way to prepare for rain?
>>
>>1278601
Rain jacket, waterproof gloves, rain pants(I just use fast drying shorts), shoe covers, maybe waterproof socks. Waterproof bags or covers.

Nothing is necessary of course, but sometimes you might get heavy rain for days, and especially wet shoes are not fun.

>>1278233
I've toured a fair amount, and actually leaving on a trip on sunday. Doing Poland too, but from Germany to Lithuania. My bike is somewhere around 20-25 kg with all the water/food I carry with me. But I'm used to it and I can go fairly fast, and this time I don't really have any big mountains.

I almost always sleep in a tent, as I can just put it up when the sun goes down, don't have to stop in a city.

If 20km is the longest you've done, I recommend trying to do few 40-80 km trips before you leave, then rest for a few days, so your muscles get used to the exercise. If I jump from 20km -> 100km a day, I will have sore muscles for days and maybe even injuries. Or then just start 60km a day and slowly raise it, and try to avoid doing long streches without rest.
>>
>>1278628
Also, if your bike isn't that great and not that new, it's possible the cheaper parts will start breaking on such a long a trip. Cheaper bikes are alright if you don't cycle that much, but when you start putting more weight on it and doing a lo of km's, it might be a problem.
>>
>>1278628
>20km is the longest you've done
not just that, but also i've been doing it over a year ago. Now i'm in even worse shape. I'm just hoping to get better with more kilometers i do. I'll slow down or even stop if needed, i don't have any kind of schedule to keep. For my test trip i'm thinking about doing a little bit over 100km one way, then i'll see how fun it was and get on larger trip later.

About shoes, i'm thinking about getting sandals and keeping normal shoes in the bags. I don't care if sandals get wet, it shouldn't be a problem.

But yeah, now that i have to wait a few days anyway, i'll try to do this 40km somewhere and see how it works for me.

>>1278635
My bike was slowly getting more and more new parts, now only main frame remained from original bike and i think it's fairly decent overall. Also, i hope that if it didn't broke down after using 50cc engine that powers rear wheel through sprocket attached to spokes (while vibrating entire bike like crazy) for over a year, nothing should kill it.
>>
>>1278233
I'm actually in a similar situation, or at least I will be in about a year and a half. I will likely have 9 months free after graduating, before I start my Master's program, and I'm planing on spending my time going on various travel adventures.

A bike trip across Europe is at the top of my list right now. I'm thinking of doing a route from the Nordkapp in Norway all the way down to Sicily, about 5000 km. I wouldn't bike the entire way, but I would bike the Italian peninsula and Norway, maybe skipping over much of Germany as I have already traveled there extensively.

Not entirely satisfied with my route yet; the three countries I most want to visit are Norway, Italy, and Greece, which are of course on entirely opposite corners of the continent. I'll probably do much more intensive planning in a year or so. Now that I think of it I'd love to hit Britain as well. I don't know if I'll compromise or just go all out, 9 months is a long time after all.
>>
>>1278645
Have you done any cycling trips before? I've been planning Nordkapp/Norway for a long time, but always had other plans for the summer. Weather and the mountains aren't really that welcoming. You basically only have two months to do it, from end of june to end of august. Before the summer it's really rainy on the coast, and snow in the mountains. Even if you take the coastal route, it's still a lot of ups and downs to do because of the mountains. I think there was still snow in Lapland around mid june this year. Not that many people live in the north either, so if you have any problems, you might be on your own.

What you need to know about Italy is that they cannot drive for shit, and it can be a bit unnerving/dangerous. I've done northern Italy from France to Slovenia, and it wasn't that fun because of the traffic. Every cyclist I met warned me beforehand. Apparently the traffic is even worse in the south.

Nine months is a long time for sure. I don't think you can spend it all in Europe because of the weather. My max is usually 3 months, after that it starts being a bit boring.
>>
>>1278842

Nothing on the scale that I had in mind for the Nordkapp or Italy, but I'm relatively fit right now, and I figure I've got plenty of time to condition myself still.

My father did the Germany to Nordkapp route, by bicycle, back in the 80s, so it's definitely something I'd like to try for myself. But if so, I'd definitely schedule it during the height of summer.

>Nine months is a long time for sure.
Definitely, I'm likely planning on going to Australia for a month as well with a friend, but I'll probably be setting down in Germany maybe two to three months prior to school starting back up again (I'm in the USA now for uni, but planning on moving to Germany permanently; already a German citizen and can speak German; so should be relatively painless).

I'm sure you've heard of the EuroVelo cycling route network, but looks like much of it is already developed and rideable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroVelo
>>
And one more thing about poorfag travel system: how do you pick a place to set a tent? I know that it's technically illegal to just set up a tent anywhere, even outside the cities/in the forest, except places which are supposed to be used for tenting. I also assume that no one really cares unless you set it up in the city park, but still - i believe there is some kind of rule set to obey while trying to pick a good spot.
>>
>>1279032
Set up tent late in the night, get up early in the morning.

Nobody really gives a fuck though unless you're doing it in a national park or on the beach.
>>
>>1278233
you may get testicular cancer

you may get erectile dysfunction

you may become infertile

op youve been warned. if you really want to do it get the absolute most comfortable wide seat you can.
>>
>>1279475
i don't have one of those pro 50 gram carbon fiber seats, just a normal relatively wide one, fully covered in soft gel.

i must admit, you made me lose a little bit of my enthusiasm
>>
File: embarseal.png (114KB, 231x192px) Image search: [Google]
embarseal.png
114KB, 231x192px
>>1279023
>My father did the Germany to Nordkapp route, by bicycle, back in the 80s
lol no kidding. in June I was waitng on my Bus in Narvik and met this guy with a bike, and a small bike trailer and two flags on it (DE & CH). Since I speak the language I talked to him and he said he is doing the route from Cologne to the Nordkap. Was impressed until he started folding his bike and stuffing it on the same bus I was taking. Was a 8h ride in direction to Tromso. We spoke no word during the whole ride.
>>
>>1279032
Like the other guy said, set up late, get out early, and no one really cares. I think I've done about 200-250 nights of wild camping around the world, and got caught once in the morning. That was in a fenced area in rural Portugal, and a ranger of some sort just wanted to know how I got in, because gates were supposed the closed (they weren't). Guy didn't really care that much more as long I wasn't throwing trash around or destroying the plants.

For example, I've heard that on a lot of beaches in Spain (not the tourist ones) it's ok to camp with no problems. In Zagreb the cops showed my friends on a map where they can go and camp.

I have green tent so it blends well with forests, and of course hide the bike in a way that reflectors are covered. Fridays/Saturdays/Holidays I'm more free with the place where I camp, as the cops definitely have better things to do than to come visit my ass. Especially near big cities.

The laws are there so cops can break up bigger camps who decide to stay for days in a spot, leaving their trash behind and so on. In Scandinavia it's of course legal to camp almost everywhere.
>>
File: 3257624.jpg (13KB, 600x310px) Image search: [Google]
3257624.jpg
13KB, 600x310px
>>1279502
okay, i'm increasingly afraid

this is my seat. will i keep my dicking capability with it? could one even start having problems about a week or two of riding, or is it more of a problem that concerns pro 100km per day bikers only?
>>
>>1279532
its not necessarily the size of the seat alone thats the problem, its just the overall ergonomics and the beating that your body takes from having the bumps go straight up through your asshole.

furthermore unless your bike ergonomics are dialed in, you'll probably experience bad neck, back and shoulder pain too.

just browse info from academic sources or studies and see what they recommend.

Otherwise, you could go down the noseless bike saddle route, or look like a fag whilst you ride a recumbent bike.
>>
>>1279507
that guy is the /trv/ equivalent of a /lit/ pseud
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.