[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling in cuba alone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: marathon-de-la-havane-ville.jpg (209KB, 1000x400px) Image search: [Google]
marathon-de-la-havane-ville.jpg
209KB, 1000x400px
Hello, i'm a french student. From the 1st of august to 22th of august i will travel in cuba alone. What should I know before leaving ? Do you have some tips to prevent being scammed ? Which places should i visit ?
>>
>>1277948
Learn as much Spanish as you can. Prepare yourself to eat the shittiest food possible. No way not to get scammed, it's a way of life. Other than that it's a very fun place and doesn't leave anyone not touched even a bit. Just go with the flow and enjoy the ride.
>>
>>1277948
I've heard it's incredibly safe.

I'm an American though so going to Cuba is a tough thing for me to pull off.
Also scamming is a way of life anywhere that is underdeveloped and you have money. locals gets scammed by eachother, let alone a foreign student with serious dosh.
>>
File: 1478988685304.jpg (40KB, 392x768px) Image search: [Google]
1478988685304.jpg
40KB, 392x768px
>>1277948
stay at casa particulares.. they will find you, no need to worry about that.. everyone will hustle the shit outta you, it gets tiring but its a way of life.. I found that if I was alone I had constant harassment, but if you make "friends" with a local, meaning choose one that annoys you the least, make sure he gets some drinks, and if you need anything get him to go get it for you.
The other jinteros will see that you are taken care of and leave you alone.
People will always try to get you to go to a restaurant they know about.. you should occasionally go with them.. the state run restaurants are grim.. but the small family ones can be very good...
dont talk politics, learn to dance, drink rum and practice spanish with the locals.. If you want to pick up, its not hard.. just be aware you pay for everything and she will need money for whatever reason when she is leaving..
Havana is by far the most expensive, Vinales is beautiful, Trinidad is beautiful, Santa Clara sucks.. but you will probably end up there at some point because of the bus system.
>>
Op here. Where could I meet other tourists ?
>>
>>1278185
Mostly Varadero, or the bus station.. or anywhere it costs money to be

Are you looking for backpacking experience or beach all-in experience
>>
>>1278185
In Havana, at the paladars (restaurants) and the casa particulares.

>Varadero
I have to say the beach is awesome but overall it's pretty close to the Magaluf/Lloret del Mar just in the Caribbean experience.
>>
>>1278081
>Prepare yourself to eat the shittiest food possible.

Understatement. I had no idea it would be THAT bad. Came as a wakeup call.
Also fyi for people who think it willl be a cheap backpacker destination. It won't. Using my usual backpacker budget I was forced to go the last two days without food, and then walk to the freakin airport. Poor planning on my part I guess, just trying to pass on some lessons learned.
>>
>>1278188
A backpacking experience because it is more authentic and I have not th money for all-in.

>>1278285
What type of food do they eat to be so disgusting ? As a typical french I like great food.
>>
>>1278285
>Understatement. I had no idea it would be THAT bad. Came as a wakeup call.

Can you go into more detail? I'm curious, I'm going there in September and I think I can manage shit food, but better to be on a safe side here.
>>
>>1278445
>>1278479
>>1278285

Honestly I didn't think it was that bad... I stick to fit in the morning, and dinner is a variation of rice, beans and meat... the food is regional. If you are on the coast, seafood is great.
Just don't expect a big choice on what you get to have.. Havana is developing a bit of a trendy food scene.
Don't eat at state run restaurants. . Go with the locals and eat in the family run joints
>>
I went to Cuba a couple of years ago.
Time of my life desu.
Every morning I would wake up, drink Pina Colada, swim in the ocean (all that before breakfast), then get out of water a bit drunk, have breakfast, smoke cigar and fuck some Cuban bitch with big ass and tits (probably the best and hottest sex in my life happened there). Also made friends with some Canadians (I'm Russian), we got drunk together quite a bit. Did a bit of sightseeing in Havana, went on a yacht tour of some neighoring archipelago where I ate a giant lobster and got drunk on "pirate beer" among the sees under the warm sun.

Just don't be a stupid asshole tourist and everything will be fine.
>>
>>1278479
It's not that you will get sick, it's just that it's often very bland, unseasoned and unsauced. Ingredients seem to be low quality besides fruit and seafood maybe.
>>
Is the transport system efficient ? Is bus the mean of transportation on the island ?
>>
>>1278643
It's a wreck. I planned my trip using the train system, kek, which has been in shambles since a hurricane decades ago.

The buses are nice, but sell out fast, and the stations are hard to find.
>>
The biggest scam you will encounter is in the taxis. Have exact change always and YOU set the price, not them. They will insist that the ride costs something retarded like 15 pesos no matter where you are going. Tell them 4 or 5 pesos. They will act all buttfrustrated and act like youre crazy. Stick to your price.
If they still dont accept, walk away. 90% of the time they will run after you and accept your price. If not, try again with the next taxi driver 4 ft away.
You will have to bite the bullet with the airport taxis though.
>>
>>1278752
Oh and the round open-air taxis are obviously cheaper a lot of the time. Easier to negotiate a cheap price when their cab looks like its from a commercial for coconut water
>>
>>1277948
American here. Stay at a casa particular, make friends with a local who knows good/decent restaurants. Most restaurants suck, you'll find good and authentic Cuban cooking in households or Miami. Don't eat seafood, they don't refrigerate it at most places. Water quality is terrible, always drink bottled water, either national ('Ciego Montero') or imported ('fancy' spring water), and never let them put ice in your drinks (comes from the shitty tap water)

Many locals will try to rip you off but many locals are also really genuine and good people, just don't let your guard down too much. If you're looking to travel you should hire a taxi and yes that will be very expensive.

Havana is pretty safe and especially in the old city you will never need to worry about harassment or getting robbed, the revolutionary police are everywhere, crime is pretty low in general and people are scared shitless of the government.

Have fun, go out and party, see beautiful and historic shit, make some friends, just watch out for scammers and pickpockets really.

Also definitely do not talk about politics especially not in public.
>>
>>1278752
>YOU set the price, not them
This x100, this is a perfect example of scams in Cuba

Airport taxis will fuck you over for sure but you can't really stop that.

In Havana getting an old American convertible as a taxi is pretty cool if you're into that but they can be more expensive, just negotiate and if they won't give you a good price just walk away and find another
>>
>>1278752
Isn't this how taxi works everywhere in the world? 99% of taxi drivers overcharge and refuse to use the meter, at least in the countries where taxi is actually useful (Who used taxi in Europe when there is good public transport everywhere)
>>
>>1278705
haha.. i tried to take the train once, the lady told me it wasn't for people, it was for cubans..
>>
Does someone know the easiest way to access internet and wash my clothes there ?
>>
>>1278765
In america the price is usually set at a company standard rate, so a ride from a to b costs the same no matter who takes the taxi or when.
>>
>>1278942
Internet is 15 cuc for 20 min, and there are probably many places to do your laundry but most Casas Paticularas have washing machines so just check before hand.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.