[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AirBnB experiences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: 1405612741-airbnb-why-new-logo.jpg (48KB, 1300x867px) Image search: [Google]
1405612741-airbnb-why-new-logo.jpg
48KB, 1300x867px
Hey /trv/,

I have been travelling more and more for work and vacation, and I was looking into AirBnB as an alternative to hotels and hostels.

I am staying in a house right now with a friend. Our first night was great, total privacy. The second day was an afternoon text message followed by the host and her parents watering the lawn and flowers for 2.5 hours. I expected some privacy for the amount I was paying, but I am unsure how this company works.

Any good/bad experiences? I may use this as I do more business internationally, but I want to see how you guys feel about it.
>>
>>1277645
I would like to know more about your workplace. Who pays for the travel expenses?

I have to ask just in case. If the cost comes out of your pocket, then yes, you should try to save as much money as possible. If the company pays for it, then fuck it, get a real hotel.
>>
>>1277645
If someone doing some groundskeeping while you are there , puts you off, then you are not likely airbnb material
>>
>>1277645
I've had nothing but good experiences (well maybe one bad one, but that was due to neither of us speaking the other language which caused some miscommunication). I usually pick ones that at least have a few reviews, and nice pictures. It's generally been quite representative for me, even when I looked for a better deal by staying in places that only had one or two reviews. The system for rating works very nicely where neither can see the feedback until you both write it, which prevents the sort of angry review battles I see a lot.

Like the other person said though, you're living at someone's apartment, you should expect some intrusion. If you really can't bear to have anyone on your property for any reason, then I'm guessing you won't generally be a fan.
>>
Only one experience.

Needed a place to stay for a few days to detox after a week long bender. On my way to the city (Minneapolis) found one that was 34 dollars a night above an art studio.

The host was so nice and the place was ridiculously clean and large. The only gripe I had was with the school across having the playground right below my window also, there was no hot water (not good when you're sweating out every party drug possible).

I was given the utmost privacy and the bed was great.

I'm looking forward to using this app again
>>
>>1277674
Seriously this. Also.
>expected some privacy for the amount I was paying

Fucking lmao, if you are paying over 50 bucks what are you doing. The point of Airbnb is to spend less money for a place to crash after a day of going out. If you just paid for a room to fuck around all day in, you completely missed the point of airbnb.
>>
I rented an AirBnB for a month, girlfriend got to destination and got keys, picked me up and we had complete privacy.

It was my first experience with it and i liked it, host did call after 2 weeks to just check in, see if we liked city, flat, had questions, and was very friendly.

Ill stay there again for a month and expect same experience, although i wouldnt mind more intrusive host, getting shown around cities can be nice

Wattering flowers is not "intrusive", just hide in your cave amd ignore them, or go put into the world like a normal person, not hard to fake 1 "hi nice to see you"
>>
I've had nothing but positive experiences with AirBNB.

I even found in some cities a private apartment can cost less than a bed in a 4 person dorm.

I only ever had one slightly negative experience which was in Nice. The place was run more like a business and the photos were taken very strategically to make it look a lot "nicer" than it actually was.

I've even stayed in a couple which had no reviews and they have actually been some of these best (everyone starts somewhere).
>>
>>1279379

I think the fact that Nice itself was so boring actually brought down my view of the apartment
>>
>>1277645
Can somebody tell me how I can filter air bnb so it only shows complete places that are avaiable to only one person? I know I sound stupid but this shit is killing me. I don't want to share a house or a room with anyone, I just want a place where I get the key and I barely have to talk to the owner, and there are no other people sharing it with me. It seems like when I put on the filter I just want the entire place and only one person it keeps showing me rooms that house more than one guest.

Am I being clear or what? I just want my own place through air bnb, how do I get the filter to show me that? Sorry If I'm repeating myself but I'm going crazy trying to figure out how I can do that.
>>
>>1279425
There's a Room Type dropdown menu that lets you filter places just like that.
>>
>>1279425
If you select 'Entire home' as one of the filters, you will get the entire place to yourself. If there are 20 beds pictured in the photo gallery, 19 of them will be empty in the duration of your stay.

By selecting 'Self Check-In' under Amenities, you will be able to check-in without having physical contact with the host. Most of these places will have a key lock box somewhere located outside the Airbnb. The host gives you a combination code to get the key.

That is the most common way, but I have had times where the host has left the front door unlocked for me and the key is located somewhere inside. Or the door lock itself is a combination lock, which was the case in my most recent trip to Seoul last week. And there has been times where they have hidden the key under the mat or in a pot plant or something.
>>
File: Film5486_21.jpg (3MB, 3089x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Film5486_21.jpg
3MB, 3089x2048px
First time I stayed at an airbnb was last month. Was alone for the whole week except for once when the owner was so kind to deliver baggage that got stuck in traffic and arrived later directly to my door.

My favorite part about it was the view too. I could see the whole skystree from my balcony on the 13th floor.
>>
File: 1495461390640.jpg (1MB, 1332x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1495461390640.jpg
1MB, 1332x2000px
>>1279440
>>1279443
Ok, thank you for giving me a straight answer because I realize I was missing a lot of obvious stuff. I figured entire place meant I had it to myself but I was worried because even when I put that in the filter, rooms that could house 6 guests would show up. I kept thinking that must mean I still have to share it with 5 other people.

Thanks for the info
>>
>>1277645
Not quite what you might be looking for but I was an airbnb host for 3 years. Worst things that happened:

>rent my flat to an old swedish couple
>they suggest that we try a house swap so i can visit sweden
>ive been to sweden about 15 times so im not interested but i give them a good rate as they are obviously pretty strapped for cash and want a holiday
>i give them the house and head off on my own holiday
>get home after my holiday
>turns out they were just bleached gypsies
>house is messy as fuck
>mouldy shit in fridge
>lady says it was like that when i left, even though i left the fridge empty
>says it was all a bit expensive for them here and i should have been more reasonable with price
>check my logs on my pc, seems i didnt lock my room when i left and she got in there and was looking at my search history, browsing my emails, and watching my videos (mostly movies)
>talk to her about it, she says if i didnt want people snooping i should have locked my room, even thought he rules say no using my room
>her and her dude leave the next day and she asks if she can get a part refund because my cleaning fee is too expensive when she left a fucking turd in the toilet for 2 days
>give her the worst review i've ever given

one of the better times:
>34 yo asian lady comes to say when i'm just subletting my spare room
>get high and drink together
>fuck her on my couch in the lounge
>wake up the next morning and shes cleaned the living fuck out of the entire house
>leaves me an amazing review

got a few more, if anyone is interested.
>>
>>1279488
>got a few more, if anyone is interested
please.

do you think that its overall been a good experience for you in a sense of meeting new people and experiencing that feeling of meeting people abroad, but from the comfort of your house?

is it fun having new and different people living with you, or does it become a chore having to clean up after they leave and constantly having to worry about the security of your belongings etc.

Are you insured for the letting of your property? Do you own the property or rent yourself? Also where are you located? do you screen guests for any sort of particular things e.g. age?

id love to hear some interesting stories
>>
>>1279488
>>1279495

Seconding this.

We've got a spare room in our new apartment that we were planning to sublet via Airbnb. Any tips for a newcomer, mistakes to avoid etc?
>>
>>1279488
What kind of Asian was she?

And more stories, definitely.
>>
>>1277645
I just got back from a month in Italy with my family (me, my wife, two small kids). Slept in five cities, exclusively in Airbnbs.With us, Airbnb makes a lot more sense than hotels. We only rented whole apartments rather than rooms in shared apartments, perhaps obviously--we really needed two bedrooms, and kitchen and laundry facilities were seriously helpful as well.

Only real complaint was that one place that claimed to have AC had only a swamp/evaporative cooler, which was useless in 37°/99°F and humid weather.

So unlike, say, >>1279308, we weren't just trying to spend as little as possible (although I'd say we spent a bit less than we would have in hotels). We specifically needed the amenities of rental homes. And we were very satisfied. Shop around, look for places with reviews and lots of photos.
>>
>>1279700
Oh, and unlike some people in this thread, we actually had better luck with places that were managed by property managers rather than by individuals renting out their own homes. More responsive, and more relaxed cleaning standards (one owner gave us a nasty review for leaving some groceries in his fridge and some empty bottles on the counter, even though he didn't respond to our questions about how to take out the trash, which varies a lot from city to city in Italy).

I think for people who are looking for the Airbnb experience in which you have a lot of interaction with your host, or they serve as sort of a local guide, family places are probably better. But professional managers worked very well for us.
>>
>>1279495
overall, yes. i think it was a good thing to do, i met tons of people and had some good times with relatively few bad ones.
I did it to subsidise my own rent in london and it was better than simply getting another renter to share with me
the really handy thing about using an airbnb guest is that they are temporary. so people would come and go but it would always be my space and i could treat it as such, as appose to having a housemate, who would want to have input as to how the house was run.
no insurance but airbnb bond was £2k, i was renting but my landlord gave permission because i have lvl 100 speechcraft, i ended up having to disallow first time airbnb users are they are 80% retarded and after hackergranny i ended up putting on an age cap.

>>1279506
if its just you and a partner, then yeah id recommend it. the first 1-2 bookings are a drag but you can always try it and ditch it.
tip: its the little things that make a big difference. people like having a dishwasher and shit but they love arriving to chocolates on the pillow, a good local guide book and a friendly, reliable host.

>>1279695
chinese, from shanghai. she said she booked my room because i looked gay in my dp, guess she didnt mind when it turned out not to be so.

another fun time story
>young irish couple move in
>turns out they are cool as fuck
>get hammered together with them and my wife
>end up shooting fireworks out of my crossbow on the roof terrace of the house
>turns out front heavy fireworks dont make good crossbow bolts
>firework hits the roof of a nearby house, blows the tiles off it (it was quite far though, so cant tell)
>cops come
>hide indoors the rest of the night
never kept in contact with them but they were pretty good

cont.
>>
>>1279872

another bad story:
>some italian mum rents my place for her holiday
>literally speaks no english whatsoever but so what, google exists right?
>she cant fucking organise a pissup in a brewery and keeps changing the day she wants to book
>i'm going to edinbrugh so i dont want to fuck around as i have bookings
>she arrives a day early, on her original booking day and cant figure out how to get in the house (i had a key hiding spot)
>she starts going fucking mental at me in italian by text and call whever i answer
>i end up having to come back to london from edinbrugh early (1-2 hour flight not expensive but like, fuck off man)
>find her hiding in some cafe as she has been for about 10 hours since she arrived
>have to use google translate live to talk to her
>shes ok to live with for a day or two though communication is completely impossible
>one day, part way though her trip, i wake up and shes nowhere to be found
>vanished like a fart in the wind at 5am that morning, didnt even cancel the rest of her booking
>well, whatever
>get a furious message from her a month later demanding a refund

this is why i ended up putting the 'no scrubs' rule on the flat and only because i couldnt say 'no italians'.
>>
>>1279874

sort of cont.

i also had a bunch of people who would book and just never shop up. dont know what their deal was but they were just throwing cash into the wind and i was happy to catch it.

>>1279495
forgot to say, i never worried about security, so much so that i left my pc without a password most of the time. the airbnb bond thing works quite well.
i'd also get people from the east coast USA often asking why my bond was so high and 'what was so expensive in the flat that needed it'. like what the fuck, my dude, it doesnt bill you until you do something wrong. paranoia i guess. no one else ever worried about it though.
>>
AirBnB is great. Went to the portugese algarve last month with 7 mates, paid 100 pounds each and got practically a mansion with a swimming pool 10 minutes away from the nightlife and the old town.
>>
>>1277645
I have never had a bad experience. I have on the otherhand had a moment of, "You sneaky fuck, you took photos to make this room look bigger... sneaky."
>>
>>1279872
Your wife doesn't mind you fucking random chinese women? Interesting.
>>
I've been a host for 2 and a half years, and since last year I travel always through airbnb. I live in Italy in a touristy city. I've had good and bad guests, but mostly good.
My best guests were a Russian couple in their 30s who helped me plan my upcoming visit to Moscow and St Petersburg and invited me over in the latter of the two. I will meet them in September.
My worst guest was a girl from Costa Rica who was completely retarded. She got off at the wrong train station, complained about there being no Uber to my place (illegal in Italy), then entered the wrong address in Google maps and bought a 60€ train ticket to a completely different city. I eventually went to pick her up, and she complained about my place being too far from the city centre (there's a map that clearly shows this before you even book). She left me 1 star on everything and I had to call customer support to get her review removed.
>>
>>1279908
Hah, no. Was before I got married. I hosted for 3 years.
>>
>>1279940

How is it even allowed to be this stupid? Damn
>>
Just got back from a 10 day stay. It was amazing. First time using it and was the most comfy place. So clean and nothing was misleading.

One of my friends had quite a shit time though. Place was disgusting when they arrived. Dirt all over floor, dishes were not washed, rotten food in fridge. One of the beds was also a 1 inch mattress on a metal spring cot. They complained to airbnb and contacted the host. They sent somoene to clean but air bnb said it would be up to 48 hours, their stay was only three days.

The host was crazy and left a riddiculous guest review, which she had to contact air bnb to get taken off.

I personally would continue using it though.
>>
File: 1500074907082.jpg (36KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1500074907082.jpg
36KB, 665x574px
>>1277645
>the owner of the house I'm staying in dared to water the garden
>where's my privacy??
Please don't use Airbnb or any other home sharing services ever again
>>
I booked on Air bnb for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I'm staying from the 15th. When do the hosts generally send out info on how to get into the apartment?
>>
>>1280166
If you look at your booking details, there's a map and a button to get directions from Google maps.
>>
>>1280166
see >>1280168
you can also message them and ask for clarification if say you are staying in a condo or what not
>>
>>1280168
>>1280180
Sorry, I mean like info on how to get the keys.
>>
>>1280205
If you don't hear anything by the day before check in ask them yourself. Usually the host lives on the property or nearby anyway
>>
>>1279945
you got married way too fast.
>>
>>1277645

never had a 'bad' experience.

best experience was in iceland where the host hung out with me. most meh experience was in miami where the host was gay and I didn't feel comfortable.
>>
>>1280266
Ok chief.
>>
>>1277645
Watering the garden isn't really an invasion of your privacy...are you sure you understand what ABB is about? You're staying over at someone's place, it's not a hotel
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.