[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travelling with a nice camera

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: canon_eos_5d_mark_iv_1274706.jpg (377KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
canon_eos_5d_mark_iv_1274706.jpg
377KB, 2000x2000px
How much do you guys worry about walking around with a nice camera in developing countries? I know of one guy who walks around African and Middle Eastern cities with a DLSR camera in hand, is he completely stupid? What do you guys do?
>>
>>1277329
>What do you guys do?
I use my phone now. It's lightest.
If I think my phone would attract too much attention for being too new or nice in that country, then I use a small subcompact powershot or my little pentax camera that fits in an altoids tin :P

To me, amazing pictures isn't my hobby. I travel enough that I already know I'm not blowing up vistas of my photographs to hang around my house. I am taking photos of myself, things I find interesting as they happen, gallery placards and objects in museums I might want to research or remember for some reason, my shit rental car, view from my hotel, random stuff. I'm not there to duplicate that scene from the Charles bridge in every postcard, ya know? Sometimes, well, you do want those kinds of pics, but most of the time I don't want to wear the weight of anything I don't have to wear. Carefree and empty handed :) If you aren't like me, and you will be discreet and careful, go ahead, but don't get bold about it. Be aware always and choose to keep it hidden if you think that is what you need to do that day.
>>
>>1277329
The rule of thumb is:
For anything general your smartphone of the Samsung S5 or iPhone 6 generation or better will do the job
If it should be better, a cheap quality point and shoot will do the trick
If you get paid per pic or photography is your favorit hobby and you don't give a fuck to carry 10kg worth of lenses, well bring your DSLR.

Even a $3k DSLR with $20k worth of lenses won't turn a terrible picture into a great one. A good photographer will get better pics with his budget smartphone then someone with zero talent with top of the line equipment.
>>
File: mcdmkb1418398676842.jpg (28KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
mcdmkb1418398676842.jpg
28KB, 384x384px
I use a colored case so that the camera looks cheaper.
>>
File: 71dGsV-YVeL._SL1200_.jpg (130KB, 1200x835px) Image search: [Google]
71dGsV-YVeL._SL1200_.jpg
130KB, 1200x835px
>>1277342
>If it should be better, a cheap quality point and shoot will do the trick
I did that on my last trip. My phone took way better pictures than my P&S (more like POS, amirite?).

For reference, my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S6, and my camera is a Sony CyberShot.
>>
>>1277355
Thats why I say it, your typical smartphone is on pair with your usual P&S.
If you need something cheep and quality, hop over to
>>>/p/
as those guys know what they do and usually have a "budget cam worth the buck" thread with $200 range cams, where they shine and where they stink...
>>
>>1277342
>For anything general your smartphone of the Samsung S5 or iPhone 6 generation or better will do the job

Seriously this. Unless you are absolutely serious about setting up some money shots then you don't really need anything over a good cellphone with a good camera.

Anytime I am going to take some money shots I generally have researched the area quite heavily and know where I am going and what to take a picture of.
>>
>>1277353
Found the sony shooter. A6000? If so what lens?
>>
>>1277342
>A good photographer will get better pics with his budget smartphone then someone with zero talent with top of the line equipment.

Yes, but kinda-okay photographer will get better pics with DSLR than he will with smartphone camera. Cool daily life shots with 50mm and shallow depth of field > bunch of smartphone photos, either ultra wide angle or digitally zoomed.

It's not about "needing", it's just that dslr allows you to make a nice photos even without skill. Finding something nice and getting composition right on 50mm in the viewfinder is way easier than somehow getting interesting photo with equivalent of 12mm, focal that never works for anything other than architecture. If anything, i guess i could say that taking a nice p&s with optical zoom is a good alternative for DSLR if you're not really focused on quality.
>>
OP here, thanks for the advice guys.

The thing is I already have a DLSR that I'm quite fond of and like taking pictures with, so moving to my smartphone with its shitty camera is something I'm loathe to do. I'm not shooting for money, it's just a hobby, and I'm sure if I were a better photographer I could make due with something more low profile. I generally travel in Eastern Europe and Latin America, would you say that I'm asking for trouble to travel in countries such as Mexico with pic related around my neck?
>>
>>1278301
>pic related
Needs more pic.

Also, depends on the region and city. I'm fine with toting around a massive DSLR in many parts of Sierra Leone, but I wouldn't do it in certain areas of first world cities.
>>
>>1277329
I carried a DSLR all over Jakarta a few months ago for an undercover film project and had that shit double wrapped and in both hands at all times. I carry my nice camera for specific activities but it's absolutely unnecessary for standard tourism and I'd honestly rather not risk my good equipment somewhere that dirty ever again.
>>
>>1278146
I'm still fairly new to it, so I've been using the 16-50mm kit lens, and the 55-210mm lens.

I got a pretty damn good bundle deal.
>>
>>1277342
>>1277355
>>1277361
Found the plebs.

If all you are going to do is look at the pictures on your phone, then by all means take pictures with your phone. I personally use pic related to take pictures of people and nobody's phone comes close.
>>
>>1278823
Basically, 9 out of 10 people will be fine with those photos to share on social media and show people while still having decent enough photos to not complain. I'd love a high quality camera to take around my trip to japan and sign up some really good shots, but my phones camera is good and way more convent to use.

I doubt anyone is argue with you about a decent camera providing much better photos, it's just most people don't want to pay for it or be hassled carrying around another thing.
>>
>>1278823
>+800 dollar camera to take pictures of people

I mean, I'm sure you out do anyone's cellphone camera but seriously what the fuck are you gaining to take pictures of people at that price.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.