[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vancity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (22KB, 313x161px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 313x161px
Heading to Vancouver at the end of October. Any do's and dont's? Recommendations? City pass worth it? Green friendly areas? Anything helps!
>>
Don't bother with the Vancouver Art Gallery. Overpriced and underwhelming. Go to the Vancouver Museum on Chestnut and the Contemporary Art Gallery on Nelson if you're into that sort of stuff.

If by green friendly you mean pot-friendly, literally everywhere.

Don't buy a day pass and whatever the fuck for translink, just load up a compass card and make sure you cash it out to get your deposit back before you leave.

Take the seabus over to North Van and take a shuttle to Grouse and do the grind. Amazing views.

Chinatown/DTE is where everyone will warn you to stay away from, but it's not that bad at all. Cheap food, lots to see, plenty of character.

Go to the Astoria and the Biltmore if you want a real Vancouver drinking experience.
>>
>>1276985

There's no view hiking up the grind...just take the tram instead of killing your body doing that shit and have people running over top of you trying to beat their shitty time.
>>
File: ubc.jpg (374KB, 1665x1118px) Image search: [Google]
ubc.jpg
374KB, 1665x1118px
UBC Anthropological Museum is pretty great.
>>
File: 1479115806624.jpg (1MB, 1500x1039px) Image search: [Google]
1479115806624.jpg
1MB, 1500x1039px
>>1276988
>he takes the tram with all the chinese grandmas
>>
>>1276985
>it's not that bad at all. Cheap food, lots to see, plenty of character.
I'll second that. Chinatown is awesome. Definitely a highlight of the city, and it didn't seem dangerous to me at all. You can clearly tell when you're starting to get into sketchy territory as you get move into DTE, but it's easy enough to turn around and leave if you want to.
>>
File: Vancity.jpg (2MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Vancity.jpg
2MB, 4096x2304px
The fly over canada is pretty nice, Granville Island has a lot of small art and craft stores, the Rogers Arena has great and cheap tours, lots of micro breweries with awesome beers, weed everywhere.
>>
>>1276994
Do I need to learn Chinese?
>>
>>1277048
no, but still don't do the grind. always packed and there are FAR better hikes around if that's your thing
>>
I'm within driving distance, how is it for sex tourism since apparently prostitution is semilegal there
>>
late october might be rainy season, make sure you bring waterproof stuff if you're doing outdoor things

try to go to a nearby island like bowen or galiano

>>1277011
>You can clearly tell when you're starting to get into sketchy territory as you get move into DTE
as sketchy as it is, it's still 'safe', you can walk around anytime and wont get migged, just propositioned and your car might get b&e

>>1277486
better off staying home, only thing compared to washington is how cheap asian massages can be
>>
>>1276933
>Any do's and dont's?
Do: Travel to Canada
Don't: Travel to Vancouver
>>
>>1277524
Why? It's the best part.
>>
Don't give the homeless any money unless they work for it.

Don't drive. It's far easier to take the bus or SkyTrain, and parking is expensive. Hell, even riding a bicycle or walking could be faster than driving.

Don't get involved with protests, even if you agree with the cause.

Do try out the foods.
>>
>>1277533
You are absolutely right. I miss that damn city.
>>
>>1277522
How rainy we talking? Any chance that it'll be dry?
>>
File: weather.jpg (293KB, 1036x526px) Image search: [Google]
weather.jpg
293KB, 1036x526px
there's a lot of rainy days, but little actual rain
>>
>>1278334
i stayed there for a whole week in late september last year, not a single rainy day.
>>
>>1276985
the Grind sucks for views. I would recommend taking a bus up Seymour and hiking that. Tons of trails and does not get anywhere near as crowded.

Buntzen Lake is also pretty accessible with the new Evergreen Line and has some good trails up from the usual lake loop. The Vistas and Dilly Dally are great.

Skip Capilano Suspension bridge. Baden Powell over in Lynn Canyon has the same thing and it is free. The trails there are also better and free of tourists.

Granville Island is fun if you like art nick nacks, bric brac, and lol stuff I don't need. The market also has a good food court.

Look up when farmers markets are being held. They are in full swing now until October. Trout Lake in East Van has one on the weekend, there is one downtown during the week, and in a bunch of other areas. I was at the small one in Coquitlam and bought some really nice cheeses this Sunday. A lot of local produce can be had there along with a bunch of other food for OK prices. Bakeries, pies, food trucks, honey, booze, can all be had at these little things.

If you want to be a hipster wanker go cafe hopping in Commercial Drive. Also enjoy the lesbian/gay book shops and crap there. Feel liberal for a couple of hours.

I would also recommend looking into some of the local breweries. There are tons. East Van and Port Moody are quite accessible and have clusters of them. You can bring in your own food. I live close by the Port Moody one and usually hit up Pajo's fish and chips or a food truck in the park across the street and then pick a random one on the strip and get down. The breweries also flog shirts, glasses, and shit that make for good souvenirs.
>>
>>1277011
> Chinatown is awesome

Please be respectful, it's still called Vancouver despite being a Chinese city
>>
>>1278626
Chinatown sucks now. Nowhere near as good as once was.
>>
>>1278626
>"Hongcouver" is a commonly thrown term, and it's supposed to be derogatory
I've been to the real Hong Kong. It was way better than Vancouver. If anything, it's insulting to Hong Kong.
>>
>>1277073
>far better hikes

Any suggestions? Specifically ones that can be accessed without a car? I was thinking about doing St Marks/Mt Unnecessary, but I'm not sure I could get to Cypress without renting a car
>>
>>1278397
>but little actual rain
I wish.
>>
>>1277604
That 604
>>
>>1280352
lol
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.