[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Salem, MA during October

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: salem.png (152KB, 306x253px) Image search: [Google]
salem.png
152KB, 306x253px
Hi, /trv/,

I will be traveling to Salem, MA during the month of October for the Halloween season this year. I've heard that it is a great place to visit during the Halloween season in large part due to the fact that the Salem Witch Trials were held here. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had ever been to Salem (preferably around Halloween time) and has any suggestions on fun things to do/see? I will also be spending a day in Boston and a day in Providence, RI while there. Any and all suggestions of things to do for any of these cities would be greatly appreciated.
>>
File: 20161019_124306.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161019_124306.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
I was in Boston for work in october last year and because we worked all day I only had the evening off. Went to salem at 11pm - 2am and just walked around. Found a graveyard and ended up having car trouble but managed to get it started and got away before the ghosts got me. Was /spooky/.
>>
It is a very small touristy area, I was there the saturday before Halloween and they had a huge carnival. They have some shoddy museums and decent places to eat. It is cool to see the graveyards and the old houses, but after about 4 hours you will probably want to head back to Boston
>>
>>1276488
Its a fucking shit show. good people watching though. Youll either have a great time or fucking hate it

I used tp date a girl that lived in salem. So ive been several times.
>>
Can't tell you exactly about Salem, but New England fall is beautiful. Since Salem is suburbs it'll be perfect for scenery/foliage/authentic fall feel.

For Boston, it just depends on what you like. If you're into beer, hit up a brewery. Harpoon is popular, but Trillium Beer Gardens and the Sam Adams brewery are just as good too. The Fenway area is a historic go-to, but unfortunately won't be as cool unless the Red Sox have a home game (meaning they'd have to be in the playoffs, which are in October). IF that is the case, definitely go. The whole scene will be really exciting. If not, I still recommend if you like sports. Boston Common, the North End, and Harvard Square are all really pretty, with the North End having fantastic food. There's also the Museum of Fine Arts and Museum of Science.

I'm now realizing I basically just listed all the touristy spots. But Trillium Beer Gardens, Boston Common, North End, and the Museum of Science are all close together. And from there it's a pretty quick train ride to Harvard Square (which will be especially nice during the fall). I'd recommend all of those. It can also get cold quickly in Boston. It has snowed in October before.

Don't know much about RI, sorry. Newport is historic and Narragansett is a trashbox.
>>
>>1277006
Thanks a lot for the input my friend. I'm really into basically everything you listed (Fall season, beer, baseball, etc) so you've actually given me quite a few great ideas. Would you say it'd be possible to squeeze in the Trillium Beer Gardens, Boston Common, North End, and the museum all in one day/night? I will only be in the Boston/Salem/RI area for four days so my plan was to hit up a new city for each day.
>>
>>1276856
What would make me hate it and what would make me have a great time? What kind of person would be one that would enjoy it there?
>>
>>1277015
Its gets old fast, but the town is worth a walk around for sure. The herds of tourists and gothfags will undoubtibly annoy you.
Id check out the history. salem has a much richer history then the witch trials. Shit the town was founded in the 1620s, so roughly 9 years after the mayflower and 150 years before the revolution.

Some places I remember fondly.
http://www.hipfinz.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_Common_Historic_District_(Salem,_Massachusetts)
https://www.boston.com/culture/restaurants/2016/06/24/arcade-restaurant-bit-bar-salem-opens-weekend

Also, sox games are super cheap in october unless they are in they playoffs. worth it for the experience. stick to the bleachers if you want to local color.
>>
I went there on Halloween a few years ago, it was really busy as you'd expect but a really fun place to be on Halloween. I enjoyed the shops there. Bring a costume if dressing up is your thing, a large majority of people were dressed up when I went.
>>
>>1277018
Much appreciated man, I'll keep all that in mind. I'm a big fan of walking around and taking shit in (i.e the feel of the town, the culture, the fall foilage, etc) so i'm looking forward to it. I might be going out on a limb here but it seems to me you know quite a bit about the area as a whole, no? Do you have any suggestions of cool places or towns nearby Salem/Boston that I should checkout?

>>1277020
I'll definitely look into dressing up in one way or another. I think ill be there the weekend of a big costume event actually so that's something I really gotta think about.
>>
>>1277026
I dont know the north shore area two well, Im from the south shore. Gloucester has some nice beaches. (pronounced glaw-ster) or Walden pond for foliage spotting. But weather plays a huge part in coverage and color.
Pretty much everything is within a 1 mile radius of salem common. Thats the witchy area. Easy to walk but parking is a fucking pain.
We've been having some indian summers the past few years (it was 70 on thanksgiving) but it got into the 40s a few times in october. Makes it tough to pack for. In october it could be 40 degrees or 80 degrees. Watch out for MA drivers too. The rumors are true especially anywhere inside the 495 belt

https://hauntedhappenings.org/
Is a good starting point.
>>
>>1277026
Oh, if your going from salem to concord, you could stop the historical sites of lexington and concord. That actually make for a nice road trip. Do it in reverse, hit waldon (concord) lexinton during the morning/day and hit up salem at night. Salem is always better at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zpXaxg3is
>>
File: suggested route.png (388KB, 1064x673px) Image search: [Google]
suggested route.png
388KB, 1064x673px
>>1277383
Sorry for the spam posts. But I find this history to be more interesting than salems. Also its 1 Am on a friday night so like a good irish masshole im half in the bag. While you're in the area, you might as well see some revolutionary history as well as precolonial history. You could even start of with the Boston walking trail to get you in the mood. Because you can soak up a lot of history with very little effort and wrap it up with a salem halloween party.
Plymouth is ok. The rock is a joke. Avoid it. and the plimouth (not a typo) is for elementary school field trips.
Have fun, and stay out of the left lane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1La4ZkBYTWU
>>
>>1277006
seconding the Museum of Fine Arts. Its massive and there's lots of quality art if you're into that
>>
>>1277014
My bad mane - been away all weekend

Depends how many hours you mean when you say "day/night". Regardless, I think you could squeeze all of those in without even having to rush through each. That being said, the Boston Commons can be a pretty quick walk if you want it to be. It's nice, but it's just a pond and some grass.

Just map out the order based on your location to optimize time. Are you arriving at the city the same day you plan to tour, or are you staying at a Boston hotel the night before? Your starting location kind of depends on your route.

If you're arriving early enough, I *think* you could even include Fenway as you make your way into the city

Fenway (1 hour) -> Boston Common (1.5 hours) -> Museum of Science (2-3 hours) -> Trillium Beer Gardens (2 hours) -> North End. Something like that. Museum and Trillium are interchangeable since they're more or less equidistant from the Commons.

Lol sorry don't mean to plan out your entire day for you, just some suggestions. As long as you end the day with dinner and a cannoli or gelato at the North End, should be a good day.
>>
>>1277571
I would recommend the Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum over the Museum of Fine Arts, although they're very close to each other and both are great.
>>
>>1277014
Also worth a visit.
Might as well drink like a masshole.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/notch-brewery-and-tap-room-salem?adjust_creative=bing&utm_campaign=yelp_feed&utm_medium=feed_v2&utm_source=bing
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.