[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Started to save up for a sailboat. Want it to be a live aboard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

File: Ship galley.jpg (147KB, 799x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ship galley.jpg
147KB, 799x600px
Started to save up for a sailboat. Want it to be a live aboard looking roughly a 35-60 foot one. This will be a home for two people and possibly three small pets. To anyone who has owned and possibly living on a ship what would you recommend? I have been looking at steel monohulls and some fiberglass catamarans.
>>
>>1275949
Stay away from steel. Get a survey. Cats generally have more room, shallower draft, and are quicker, but more expensive to buy and maintain. Diesel engines are better than outboards for long distance stuff. Are you planning on travelling with it?
>>
>>1275958
Yes we want it to travel around the world. Maybe have some space to transport people.
>>
from the questions you are asking - don't. i can tell you're clueless and this will be a complete disaster for you.
>>
>>1275977
One will never learn if they do not ask. I don't know what I am doing so I am asking.
>>
>>1275992
boats are disasters even for people who already have knowledge of them and the money for them. unless you have a large amount of knowledge and skill or a large amount of money to simply pay your way through all the problems that will arise, i would not buy a boat...
>>
>>1276005
Don't listen to this crap OP. What's the worst that can happen? Obviously death or financial ruin, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I read a book called Shrimpy, by Shane Acton. This guy bought an 18ft plywood boat and sailed it round the world. He had never sailed before.
By the way there's a huge difference between 35 and 60 feet of boat.
>>
this is of course a stupid question, but given the general flavour of the question I figuered I just as well may ask:

if you are sailing alone, how safe it is to sleep? Like, do you just put the sails down and sleep? Or do you keep the masts on, set a direction, go to sleep and hope that if the wind gets too strong or smth you will wake up?
How do you avoid colliding with another vessel when you sleep? Or is it just too rare to be a consideration?
>>
>>1276032
It's basically illegal. Maritime law that most countries adhere to states you must keep a lookout at all times. In coastal areas and shipping lanes, you don't have much choice. In the open ocean solo sailors get around it using radar, AIS, and snatching short bits of sleep for 15 or so minutes at a time. Apparently you get used to it. And no you don't drop the sails for sleeping.
I just did an ocean crossing 5 1/2 days and didn't see another vessel when we were out of sight of land. Not solo though.
>>
File: 524036_1.jpg (61KB, 800x759px) Image search: [Google]
524036_1.jpg
61KB, 800x759px
>>1275949
I am also considering the boat route, I live in Stockholm and rentals in good places are at a premium here but slips are somewhat cheap and varied. I would also like to be able to drop anchor by the islands in the archipelago and generally sail.

I've got about 4 weeks total active boating experience on a ~29' sail yacht as well as general fucking around on smaller boats.
Have you considered getting a shitty boat and doing it up OP? theres plenty of writing on the subject.
i'm thinking of getting an old tug boat or trawler from italy and repairing it, or perhaps getting a loan.

Anyone know anything about this?
>>
>>1276066
>taking out a loan for a boat
don't. do. it.
>>
People in this thread are ignoring the implications
>>
>>1276229
>tfw no tasty treats
>>
What about getting women tipsy topside?
>>
>>1276380
bitches love boats man
you pay a bit more and it takes longer to travel
but when you tell a bitch you have a boat?
Bring them back there and drop of and sail out a bit? Panties are gonna go flying off.
>>
>>1276026
Thank you, I will have to see if that book is at the library.
>>
>>1276037
Thanks for this info, never would have thought to look this up.
>>
>>1276066
With there being two of us I am not sure if we want to go too small on a boat because we want to live on it. Though I have thought of doing the small and working up. I have read that there are many people who like tug boats but we want a full sailboat and go on blue water.
With the money thing we are looking at a budget you would have for a house roughly $100,000 all together. I have already started some investments and work full time and save a large portion of my paycheck to go towards this goal.
>>
>>1276397
Only if they are open to threesomes.
>>
>>1276523
fair call, beware though. a boat is very unlikely to appreciate in value, making it a worst investment. if the payoff at the end of owning a house is worth the rule of cool of having a boat, then go for it though.
do some boat courses first though, i dont know about the USA but here you need a skippers licence to own a boat anyway. that'll stop you from asking questions that get responses like this >>1275977
>>
>>1276520
Theres heaps of copies on the Web. Google: Shane Acton Shrimpy pdf
>>
>>1276543
you need no license whatsoever to own and use a boat in the u.s.
>>
>>1276037
> In the open ocean solo sailors get around it using radar, AIS, and snatching short bits of sleep for 15 or so minutes at a time.
>Apparently you get used to it.

MY DREAM IS FUCKING RUINED

This is not life.
>>
Anybody can buy a boat
Not many people can keep them

Please keep this in mind, maintenance and harbor/dock fees can mount up.
>>
>>1275992
If you have no experience with boats do not consider living on one or traveling the world with it. Set more realistic goals, learn and go from there.

I grew up on a boat. Admittedly a 19 foot CC, but I know enough to attempt to sail across an ocean. I do want to do something similar, but more like sailing down the coast of the US.
>>
>>1276032
Yeah... you don't know shit. Don't get a 35 footer. Start with something smaller and do local stuff and learn your shit first.
>>
>>1276066
Tugboats do not have fuel efficiency. And a lot or not made to be oceangoing. Have fun with that
>>
>>1277104
To not sail across an ocean**
>>
File: drowningisnotanoption.png (557KB, 1175x910px) Image search: [Google]
drowningisnotanoption.png
557KB, 1175x910px
>>1275949
do you know how to swim?
>>
>>1277203
are you implying that OP is a black man?
>>
>>1277106
>Yeah... you don't know shit. Don't get a 35 footer. Start with something smaller and do local stuff and learn your shit first.

What is my "shit"?
And how do I go about learning it?
>>
>>1275974
Stop bringing men of fighting age into Europe from Africa you dick wad.
>>
>>1277203
I can swim.
>>
>>1277221
I was planning on parting dumb people from their money like hipsters. Also we don't really want to go to Africa so the point is moot.
>>
>>1277104
Not to seem rude but I will do as I please. I know that there are many steps in between me and my goal. I am not lacking in the determination department so if this is the path I want to take then this is what I will do. If this changes then that is what was supposed to happen.
>>
>>1277466
u sound like a fag
>>
>>1276229
>the implications
Are you goung to hurt women?
>>
>>1276037
Whenever I see sailboats they never have their AIS on and we have to maneuver for them. Danger signal, etc. But I'd be pretty worried to be in shipping lanes solo. Most foreign ships don't even have a mate that's paying attention up there usually.
>>
>>1277466
How old are you?
>>
>>1277661
>>
>>1277648
I am not sure of the person who posted this but I won't be. Only light spanking if they are okay with it.
>>
>>1276026
> what's the worst that can happen?

watch All Is Lost. basically that.
>>
>>1275949
See >>1277881

I walked to the shop last week and now I am saving to climb Mt. Everest alone. Any tips if boots or sturdy walking shoes would be best?
>>
>>1277879
>>1277466
HAH, dunning kruger. this might be the most 23 year old post i've seen this year.

>i am determined and i will walk this path to the end and its all part of the plan
cringe as fuck, eyerolling shit. you sound like a uni girl on twitter '#thegrindneverstop #goals'.
when you forget all about boats in 2 months and have decided that you want to live in a shack in the woods or a shipping crate or whatever, i'll look forward to seeing your post in >>/out/

screencap this.
>>
>>1277466
i know a guy that didn't know how to sail or anything and he bought a small houseboat. He talked about sailing around the world at first, but he hasn't done that yet. Right now he sails it around some big lakes and has a good time. He island hops and sometimes charges people for camping trips.

Some people are making this sound impossible, but I don't think it is. Just get a small one and see where it takes you. Start out with baby steps and eventually you might get where you want to be.

Accept that it might ruin you financially, accept that you might die doing it. If you can move on knowing that I guess you are ok.
>>
>>1277896
if he's 23 it's more feasible imo, way more time to fall on his face and get up again, and way more capable of learning something new.
>>
>>1277896
I wonder what you would think if you met me in person.
>>
>>1277899
My long term plan has a fallback for savings that is separate from the rest of my funds. It is nice to know that not everyone here thinks the same thing.
>>
>>1277900
After reading "uni girl" I died.
>>
>>1276599
An ocean crossing solo is a hard undertaking. You prepare for a crossing, make it, and recover at the other end. It might be a month or more of hard routine. You might get breaks when becalmed and there's nothing to do but wait it out or start the engine up. You can sleep easier with a radar alarm to watch for big ships, but you're still going to want to make regular checks during the night and not sleep too long at time. Obviously if there is 2 or more of you, you make a routine where one watches while the rest sleep.

Gigantic ships will be doing 20 knots or more while you're doing like 6, and depending on how well it's run the guy on watch might be passed out and not see your little yacht. You don't want to risk that nightmare. But you also might go the whole crossing without seeing another soul.
>>
>>1276397
Because of the implication?
>>
>>1277896
t. bitter 30 year who never did anything interesting.
>>
>>1276591
Bullshit. Yes you do
>>
>>1278077
no u dont. maybe some states require a bullshit 10 hour safety class, but that's it. u dont need any real license unless ur being payed to operate the vessel
>>
I'll be useful.
>>
>>1279868
Do you know stuff about sailing?
>>
File: IMG_3067.jpg (149KB, 502x461px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3067.jpg
149KB, 502x461px
>>1276229
>>
thats really dark
>>
>>1276026
>>1276520
https://www.bluemoment.com/pdf/shrimpy.pdf
>>
>>1278077
No. Most states require that you register your boat, but the rules vary from state to state. (Some states require that you register your goddamned kayak, even. And pay a fee for it, too.)
>>
>>1277464
>I was planning on parting dumb people from their money
Considering you're the one who's considering buying a fucking boat, a NOTORIOUSLY shitty investment, I feel like you're actually on the other end of that statement.
>>
>>1278008
If you get a radar with guard zone function or an AIS with sound alarm for low CPA you're covered for sleeping in the ocean.

It's no problem to spot a sailboat from a big vessel, so if the watch officer is not asleep (which is really unlikely and there are measures against it) I wouldn't worry about being colliding with bigger ships.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.