[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

'Say you are planning on taking 2 years off to travel...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: saltyoldman.jpg (81KB, 551x562px) Image search: [Google]
saltyoldman.jpg
81KB, 551x562px
'Say you are planning on taking 2 years off to travel... is it worth it to buy a sailboat ?
I had a guy in a hostel tell me that you could sell the boat for more than you paid for it when you are done.
He also said its the cheapest way to travel once the boat is covered since you dont have to buy plane tickets or hotel rooms.
>>
>>1273031
Then why was he in a hostel instead of on a sailboat?
>>
>>1273048
Met him in La Paz mexico. He had gotten lonely I think. It was Carnival and he was trying to bang traveler chicks.
He offered to take me sailing around the bay but the way he offered was to a few of us and it was pretty clear he was only interested in the girls coming with him so I politely stayed behind.
>>
That guy is a complete idiot. If you want to sail around the world a few times and enjoy it that way (you almost assuredly do not) then fine. But it is not cheaper, sailing across the Atlantic is without a doubt more expensive than flying (And it takes weeks as opposed to hours). Marinas are not going to provide you with a slip for free, so either you enjoy shorepower at a cost or your anchor off shore relying on a diesel generator for juice. You might be able to sell the boat for about what you paid for it, but cost of ownership is exorbitant on boats.

Plus sailboats in particular are slow, unreliable and really not as energy efficient as you think. If you really want to liveaboard the much more realistic option is living a great looper on a Nordic Tug, which will be more comfortable and give you access to the inland waterways without having to demast. You wont be crossing any oceans, but you really do not want to do that anyways.
>>
>>1273067

All of this is true, and I will add to this that the idea that you can 'sell for more than you bought' is ridiculous. It sounds honestly like he was trying to sell you a boat at a jacked up price.
>>
>>1273031
If you take care of said boat then yes, you can sell it for more than you paid.

There's reason behind the saying:
The best moments in a boat owners life is when they buy it, and when they sell it.

But honestly, if you are comfortable with sailing, then yes a boat is a good investment, but the other truth the saying is, get ready to maintain the fuck out of it, they are money pits.
>>
>>1273031
I don't know jack shit about boats or sailing, but every sitcom I've ever watched says it's a bad idea that never ends well. Even though there's the benefit of... the implication.
>>
>>1273067
>But it is not cheaper, sailing across the Atlantic is without a doubt more expensive than flying
The travel itself but once you factor in hotels things change.

>>1273067
>anchor off shore relying on a diesel generator for juice
Most people install solar now. I have it on my van and it works for everything but AC

>>1273077
>get ready to maintain the fuck out of it,

A good survey should help with this. If you buy a boat in bad shape though there is no way out , you are fucked
>>
>>1273098
A months worth of food and supplies for yourself and a crew (whom you may or may not have to pay) is going to run you at least $2k. Dont preach to me about roughing it on Ramen for 20 days, you're already playing with fire being in open ocean that long you're going to want some real fucking food to eat. Whatever you want to add in Bermuda or the Azores is going to cost 1.5x to 2.0x what it would on the American east coast, and after that many days at sea you're going to want to add some shit.

I've never done a transatlantic crossing, but I have taken boats from the east coast to Chicago (via the Lakes) and about driven myself insane in the process. And I pretty much never got to the point where I couldn't see land, I can only imagine what twice that length of time on open ocean must be like.
>>
>>1273104
You can sail on your own down a coast line.
Also, you can send yourself food via fed ex or amazon or what ever now days. It's not hard.

I've done the entire Bruce trail in Ontario Canada by myself with this method, it's been a sailing trick for centuries to get contacts at stop off points for supplies and food. Not hard.
>>
If you really want to travel on a liveaboard get yourself a powerboat that is less than 19' tall and enjoy the USA and Caribbean. Really, you'd be shocked at how much ground you can cover and the places you can live on a boat if in the eastern and midwestern USA. The only major cities east of the Rockies (other than Texas) I can think of top of my head that aren't directly connected to the larger Atlantic/Gulf/Great Lakes/Mississippi system are Indianapolis, Charlotte and Atlanta.

That's a lot of places to live and explore in America. You can spend a few summers in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Montreal, Toronto, Minneapolis (though this is a bit out of the way) and winters in Miami, New Orleans, Tampa, Savannah, DC and enjoy it that way. If you want to the Caribbean is open to you too, I wouldn't go with less than 500nm range but its pretty easy to find boats with 500nm range.

The sailboat pretty much walls you off from the rivers, and really all you're buying is the idea of taking it to Asia or Europe which, lets get real, is pretty far-fetched. Lets say you and I were to both start in New York and were both taking a nice 3 week vacation in France, but I'm getting there by plane and you by boat. I can fly to France, spend about three weeks living reasonably well in Paris and Burgundy, fly back to New York and get back to my job or whatever before you might even make landfall on Portugal or Spain. And even though you've arrived in Europe with your boat you're pretty limited to the coastal areas unless you want to demast.
>>
>>1273104
There are many married couples that cross the atlantic alone by sail. Why would groceries be 2k? Hit walmart for canned food and you have a freezer and fridge onboard that runs off the solar panels.
>>
>>1273117
>powerboat that is less than 19' tall
This is intriguing , never thought about exploring the states like this. I wonder what fuel costs would be.

As far as three weeks off, I never take short vacations like that.
I work for a years with very few days off then I fuck off for years without working. I am a strange person that way. If would be out for at least a year or three.
After that I would need to sell the boat and get back to work again.
>>
>>1273062
did they go with him?
>>
>>1273031
>I had a guy in a hostel tell me that you could sell the boat for more than you paid for it when you are done.
thanks. i am off to become a boat imperium millionaire.
>>
File: tumblr_nng0tygheI1r3d54po1_1280.jpg (91KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nng0tygheI1r3d54po1_1280.jpg
91KB, 640x640px
>>1273155
giddyup!
>>
>>1273031
I've been wondering the same exact thing though I never bothered to ask because this is how I plan to spend my retirement basically until death.

I'm 29, but 30 years from now I plan on selling anything I own and buying a boat of some kind I just want to make sure it's comfortable enough for me to stand up without feeling too boxed in. I don't need a ton of amenities but the less I need to go into port or dock the better.

Also any sort of systems or tools or gadgets that could automate things as I become sickly and prepare to die would be nice to have.
>>
I thought about living on a small powerboat while continuing my 9-5 job but the idea of getting 3 miles to the gallon and paying whatever exorbitant maintanence costs I'm ignorant of make it a lot less exciting
>>
>>1273374
3 miles the gallon? Maybe on a twin screw with you pushing it hard all the time. I work on 100t vessels and we get better than that easily with two engines that take up an entire room.
>>
>>1273412
What kind of fuel mileage could I get on a 35 footer if I was in no hurry at all?
>>
File: download (2).jpg (11KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
11KB, 275x183px
>>1273143
>did they go with him?
Ugh , this is a bit of a sore subject for me.
Yes they did.
They came back two days later looking rough and smelling of sex, stale cigarettes and booze.
They stayed long enough to shower and grab their packs.
They said the boat was small but "amazing"
The old guy was taking them to a beach that was only accessible by boat for a few days of camping.
I was totally out matched.
I also may have spilled some spaghetti on their voicemail since they did not answer phones while they were gone.
>>
What up OP, I'm currently living aboard a small sailboat in the SF Bay and happened to come across this thread. DESU, everything said here is true. Living on a boat can be cheap, but maintainence & repair is expenive, and selling a boat can be very difficult. Would not recommend as a sure thing, but more as something to do if you're really down to it and willing to make the sacrifices to travel that way.
>>
>>1273687
How long have you been on the boat?
Do you regret buying it?
How big is your boat?
>>
>>1273694

I don't own, I rent it cheap to save money. I've been a live aboard since Jan 1st of this year. Boat is small-- 27'. I am currently considering buying for a longer term live aboard situation, wouldn't look at anything under 35' or much over 42'. Like another anon said, sailboats are not ideal for living on, but they are aesthetic. In addition to a tug, if you want come living, I'd look into a trawler. And consider adding solar or wind generators if you're going to be traveling in it a lot
>>
>>1273710
27 to 35 is what I have been looking at.
Are you in a marina or just anchored in the baY?
>>
I'll just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nW5g8tjazg
>>
>>1273734
Retarded attention whore does not know about preventive maintenance? What a shocker
>>
>>1273413
a gallon an hour
>>
>>1273854
so about 3 MPG?
>>
I was just having this conversation the other day OP. We were talking about how boats do not hold up their value well.
>>
>>1273893
Definitely for the first 15 years or so.
Things change after that
>>
>>1273865
Even if you're really dragging ass you're moving faster than 2.5 knots. Lazy river down the Mississippi is that pace south of La Crosse.
>>
>>1273912
So what speed approximately could you go for a gallon an hour in ideal conditions ?
>>
>>1273031
Sailboats ahoy!
Would any of you lads tell me how much time does it take to sail from Las Vegas to anchorage?
With no stops.
>>
>>1273920
I took a sailboat from New York to Los Angeles and it wasn't enjoyable. Would not recommend.
>>
>>1273923
Its a 24 feet marvel. I enjoy sailing as I have done it since ten years old. It's my first boat and I need to sail this course to prove my family I am as able-bodied as they are. Trust me, I plan on taking books to aid in my boredom, and all this insanity >>1273104 states isn't my main concern. I just want to spend time away from people.

How much time would it take?
>>
>>1273920
>>1273926
I plan on going off the coast. Into the pacific.
>>
>>1273926
Cant be done nonstop
You will have to portage in death valley which I do not suggest you do in summer
>>
>>1273918
With a current? Like 10-12 knots. Realistically you'd dial it back to 8 or so and cut consumption down. This assumes you are running a generator or alternator for power. If you're running single screw I would be nervous trusting all vessel systems to one main on a liveaboard.
>>
I know nothing of boats. Eventually I'd like to live on something for a year or two and island-hop the mediterranean. Feasible? Dunno where to harbor for winter, so I hear the storms come in september, historically speaking bitches get their shit rekt then until about april. Doesn't have to be big. Just wanna go porco rosso sans flying.

>>1273710

How much are your monthly expenses, and what do you do in case of a storm? Internet?

I vandwell to save money (for /trv/ing.) Minivans, easy to find, easy to sell, low maintenance cost, can live anywhere, not just water. But boats sound comfy as fuark.
>>
>>1273031
>you could sell the boat for more than you paid for it
Bullshit.

The more something is used, and the more it changes owners, the less saleable it becomes.
>>
>>1273727

It all depends on the size of the boat, but 27 is pretty damn small. Mid 30's seems to be the sweet spot where you can get enough room to be comfy but still operate the boat by yourself if you're skilled enough. From what I'm told, above 40' becomes more difficult to sail solo
>>
>>1273727

Oh, and I'm at Marina Bay in Richmond for now. Fairly comfy so far for being an illegal liveaboard situation
>>
>>1273945

>Monthly expenses

I don't own the boat, but it would be fairly cheap to do so, $5000 is what I was quoted.

Assuming that you own the boat, then:

you have a slip fee-- something like $350/mo
You have insurance-- under $100/mo
You have storage if needed-- $150/mo
And maintainence costs-- plan on $2000
Every 2 years-- which could be seen as $100/mo set aside

The dock I'm at offers free wifi & pumpout of holding tanks, but not all do.

So living here would cost $700/mo if you own the boat outright. If you're financing the boat, add another $150-400 per month in payments depending on loan amount & duration. Compared to what it costs to rent a room in the Bay Area, that's a deal to own your own 'floating apartment'

Alternately, you could go drop an anchor in the bay for free and just cruise to land by a dinghy when you need groceries, etc. There are issues + complications doing it that way, but it can be done. Then you'd only be paying pump out + insurance on your boat, maybe $300/mo total.

For data, a lot of guys just do an unlimited plan on their phone + tethering, or satellite wifi, or a combination, since cellular is spotty at sea.

As far as my costs, I'm paying the owner of the boat $400/mo and that's it. He covers everything else. I get free wifi, hot showers & amenities, etc.

But living on a boat can be hard & 27' means limited space
>>
>>1273945

Oh, almost forgot: Storm. This winter was brutal. Constantly tossed about in this little fucker. But you get used to it. What do you do? If you're in a dock, you just close up the hatch & wait it out, same as you would in an RV. At sea would be a different story.
>>
>>1274077
Dude! thanks for all that great info!
I had a feeling you were doing a live aboard on the sly. Pretty rare they allow that these days especially a place like san fran.
Lets say you were anchored in the bay, with maybe a dingy...how do you get to work?
Where do you park the dingy all day?
>>
>>1273031
If you keep it in real good care of it, yes you can sell it for a "profit". Assuming you get it for a good price to begin with.

And in the mean time you'll sink thousands of dollars into keeping it in decent shape.
>>
>>1274087
>pretty rare
Yeah, state law says that only a max 10% of available slips can be used for liveaboard. But there's spots around that have openings. I'm pretty sure they have some here, this place is pretty empty. But why pay more if you don't have to? :D

Btw, liveaboard fees are usually 150-250 depending on the marina.

>dinghy
Now, I've never done this, so I'm going on hearsay & what I've read online. As far as I can tell, that's the difficult part-- stashing your dinghy so that it's there when you return, and finding parking where your car won't get stolen or vandalized. But basically, you have a spot ashore where you park & keep your dinghy.

Another thing people do is a mix of staying at anchor and then coming back in for a day or two a week at marina. I suspect you could probably stash a dinghy at a busy Marina if you were there part time too.
>>
>>1273734
shes just down the road from me, didnt realise it was the girl who makes those shit robots.
>>
>>1274316
>Yeah, state law says that only a max 10% of available slips can be used for liveaboard
That is fucked up.
Government needs to stay out of that shit
>>
File: boat-city-aberdeen-harbour.jpg (202KB, 468x300px) Image search: [Google]
boat-city-aberdeen-harbour.jpg
202KB, 468x300px
>>1275188
>nek minnit
regulations can be good, anon
>>
>>1273495
Bitchs' love boats.
How can regularfags even compete?
>>
>>1275251
I would love to see a place like that in america.
Looks like freedom to me.
>>
>>1275368
;_;
>>
bomp
>>
>>1273121
>>1273120
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/22/magazine/an-improbable-6000-mile-boat-trip-around-the-east-coast.html

You might find this interesting. I travel the ICW a lot for work and am always jealous of the boomers I see puttering up and down the waterway
>>
>>1273412
Fellow tugfag detected?
>>
>>1273082
The implication that things might go wrong for her if she refuses to sleep with me. Now, not that things are gonna go wrong for her, but she’s thinking that they will.
>>
>>1273067
don't tell us what we do and do not want, sheesh.. the effrontery
>>
>>1273926
>doing something this ridiculous to """prove""" something to your family
stay home or take a plane ffs
>>
>>1274669
robots?
>>
File: 3830267_20120124114547_6_XLARGE.jpg (38KB, 624x451px) Image search: [Google]
3830267_20120124114547_6_XLARGE.jpg
38KB, 624x451px
stupid ass wafi's (wind assisted fucking idiots).
cheap ass losers.
drop their garbage, and fill their water jugs and buy 3 gallons of fuel at my 5 star marina while at anchor.
listening to shitass jimmy buffet on their shit stereos.
with the cliched boat names of "summer breeze", "no agenda", and whatever, fuck them tree hugging faggots.so fucking cheap..
this boat FTW..
100 gallons an hour.. YEAH!
>>
Can confirm > buy a boat and travel on it

>easy to navigate
>easy to predict weather and water depth
>can do it all yourself
>fuel is cheap
>maintenance is easy...don't worry about cleaning it,sewage, electrical upkeep, engine wear and tear, rotor issues - all fine
>motoring into slip is easy and don't worry about hitting other boats or anything, you won't
>fresh water is easy to get at all times
>cooking is very easy on a boat
>don't worry about essential supplies like food and toilet paper and liquids they're really light and easily carried to the boat whenever you want for little $$
>don't worry about getting lost at night or getting caught in bad weather,boats are very stable
>hygiene is easy to keep up when on a boat, especially when not staying in port,just dinght every where
>literally anything to do with boats costs x2 normal price of the real world.. Anything

Go for it bro
With all that knowledge you learnt in a hostel and all the advice on here you'll be captain of the best boat in the world!
All those salty sea dogs with life long experience of being on boats don't know more than you

Live long and prosper
>>
>>1277881
Saw this from another board, thank you for that. It is good to know that this is possible.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.