[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Luggage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: 8f7ijk.jpg (529KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
8f7ijk.jpg
529KB, 2000x2000px
Let's have a luggage thread. Post what luggage you use, its pros and its cons.

I bought pic related several years ago, I can't remember the price but it was at least over $200AUD off RRP due to an end of season sale and the green colour being unpopular.
My overall opinion of the bag is mixed; the first time I travelled with it (Australia to USA) I regretted purchasing a backpack instead of wheeled, hard suitcase; It's a pain in the arse to constantly swing a loaded backpack on and off your shoulders instead of just pushing a suitcase. However after travelling to less developed places like Sri Lanka and Cuba I realise the appeal of having something you can lug on your back, off of the ground, for longer periods. Eventually I'll get round to purchasing a hard suitcase so I can have a choice of either. If my backpack were to wear out I would replace it with something smaller, around 60L (70L is overkill and uncomfortable to carry when fully loaded) and without so many external straps as baggage handlers tend to grab them instead of the handles.
Two things I have found very useful: A carry-on backpack, it leaves both hands free while moving through airports and can be used for day-trips at your destination. Also luggage in an unusual colour is easier to spot at baggage carousels and much less likely to be stolen than more anonymous black, grey or brown shades.
>>
>>1275946
looks to hiker for my tastes, way too big...

I am looking at the AER travel pack, would love for someone who has one to comment...
my current back is 35l that expands into a 45l. plenty of room for me... but its a top loader and it drives me crazy.
>>
Hard suitcases and strollers are the fucking bane of travelling, they only work properly on flat surfaces like malls or airport terminals. Good luck getting to your hotel through cobbled streets or not pissing off everyone around you lugging that piece of shit. Wouldn't recommend anyone except Grandmother getting one.

I stick with a cabin sized backpack personally as I prefer to get where I want to be without checking a bag or lugging dead weight through fields or whatever.
>>
On my last trip, I was actually traveling overseas by myself for the first time, so I was still very new to the whole thing, and that included luggage.

I was already on board with the idea of traveling with just a backpack. Apparently people who do it are called "backpackers," and it's apparently a satisfying feeling because 1. You can accomplish more while packing less, and 2. There is far less hassle at the airports.

While I was in love with the idea, I clearly hadn't done enough research. I did not realize the variety of backpacks that were truly available. I actually used a cheap generic school backpack that was around 20-25L (maybe even less because of its awkward shape). I'm actually impressed that I traveled out of something so small & impractical. It held up surprisingly well, and the only thing that got damaged was a single compression strap from pulling on it too hard.

For my next trip, I plan on taking something more rugged, maybe even designed specifically for travel. I'm really contemplating a pack from PacSafe.
>>
>>1276357
I did a trip to Colombia with a jansport, and a small shoulder bag it was surprising perfect.
Hot climate countries are obviously easier for light packing.

Tortuga vs osprey vs AER
>>
File: spin_prod_1003790512.jpg (16KB, 333x333px) Image search: [Google]
spin_prod_1003790512.jpg
16KB, 333x333px
>>1276367
But at least Jansport is the epitome of school backpacks. It's well-made and well-rounded for everyday use.

I used a sling backpack (pic is very similar to what I used) from some unknown brand. The water-resistant inner lining was falling apart (though I admit that was mostly from owning it for a few years), and it was a single-strap, ie. only one shoulder was carrying the entire weight of the pack. When I returned home with a stiff left shoulder, I vowed to get something better for my next trip.
>>
>>1276386
Its honestly hard to fuck up a jansport bag. My current one that is almost ten years old at this point has one of the zippers stuck on the little liner cover that folds over the zipper to protect it from rain and to prevent rusting. So I just unzip it using only the space left with the second zipper and get on with my life and hope it never needs a big load that I need to open up the entire bag.
>>
>>1275946
What were the best places u visited in Sri Lanka?
>>
File: absolutelybased.jpg (69KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
absolutelybased.jpg
69KB, 720x540px
Can someone explain one bag travel to me?

I'm all for "carry-on only", but it seems like having a bag with clothes for overhead and a bag with laptop / accessories for under seat is a vastly superior option and accomplishes the same goal of being compact and not wanting to check bags.
>>
>>1276455
Hey man, if you can do it, then by all means.

However, certain airlines, especially budget airlines, will nickel-and-dime you on just about everything. They might have weird rules like "literally one bag only otherwise you're Hitler."

I personally prefer having only one thing to carry, but you do you.
>>
>>1276465
Not criticizing, genuinely curious. It seems to be getting more popular and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Like, what do you do if you want to get your laptop out during a flight? What do you do if you want to keep some snacks with you? What do you do if you're traveling by bus or something and they want to put your bag on the roof, etc?
>>
File: ultra-sil-daypack-sea-to-summit.jpg (48KB, 420x500px) Image search: [Google]
ultra-sil-daypack-sea-to-summit.jpg
48KB, 420x500px
>>1276468
I use a day bag, a small collapsible bad that usually is stored inside my main backpack, then is brought out for reasons like you mention, or if im going out for the beach or shopping or an adventure of some sort.. Its helpful to have a bag to bring with you, that doesn't contain everything you own as well.
pic is pretty much what I bring with.
>>
>>1276441
I was over for work so sadly didn't get out of Colombo. I stayed at the Kingsbury Hotel which was super luxurious (for Sri Lanka).
>>
I am looking to travel for 6 weeks alone, SE Asia. I don't see how I need more than just a 30L backpack.. walking shoes, flip flops, t-shirts, shorts, underwear, toiletries, ipad, phone and gopro. Am I mistaking?
>>
>>1275946
Only RIMOWA suitcases. Only loser plebs use backpacks.

Shame on you social underperformers.
>>
File: bl_200343_a.jpg (15KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
bl_200343_a.jpg
15KB, 640x640px
Osprey Farpoint 40

I bought it specifically for my upcoming trip. Three weeks moving through Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Czech republic.

I did a lot of research and it seems to be held in high regard. Will comply with budget airlines hand luggage rules which is very relevant to me. I'll also be getting quite a few trains and this thing seems perfect for that kind of travel.
>>
File: 91iG5DPJ3RL._SL1500_.jpg (352KB, 977x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91iG5DPJ3RL._SL1500_.jpg
352KB, 977x1500px
>>1275946
pic related I bought last year to hold my laptop bag and other items while traveling regularly between Italy and Switzerland, and in anticipation of a long trip to Australia next year. It's 45 litres and just under a kilogram. I wanted the most rectangular cuboid bag to best fit carryon dimensions for major airlines, and even Ryan-Air. After a year the top compression strap buckle broke but I've made a temporary repair. None of the seams nor zips show any wear. It opens with a single central zip which is covered by your back when worn, so inaccessible to others. I gave up checking in luggage some 20 years ago after a series of lost and delayed experiences with Brussels Airlines. I'll buy cheap clothes and stuff locally to avoid unnecessary packing.
>>
File: cylindrical duffel.jpg (26KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
cylindrical duffel.jpg
26KB, 640x640px
https://holding-pattern.com/collections/frontpage/products/cylinder-duffel

I've been about this lately.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.