[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 25

File: Picture-23.jpg (810KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
Picture-23.jpg
810KB, 1000x662px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese.
What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1272562
>>
File: tumblr_nsc802gaKj1r5gwhfo1_500.gif (4MB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsc802gaKj1r5gwhfo1_500.gif
4MB, 500x363px
I'm in Tokyo from coming weekend for two weeks. Any recommended events during that time?

Also what kind of stuff do you buy when you are in Japan? I always come back with tons of food but that's usually it. I once bought a used Fernandes e-guitar which I could easily sell for 5 times the price in Germany.
>>
>>1275668
Wonfes if you like weeb stuff/model tanks/warships/gunpla
>>
>>1275674
Will check that out, thanks!
>>
Best season to visit Japan?
http://www.strawpoll.me/13447491
>>
>>1275620
>yennies
I like this

And thanks, good to know.
>>
>>1275711
I've been in all four seasons, and I'd have to say spring, though all of them have their upsides, depending on what you like.

Spring has hella events and festivals, cherry blossoms, bright, beautiful weather that isn't yet too warm.

Summer has essentially the same upsides as spring, but no cherry blossoms, and it's hot as balls.

Autumn has less festivals, but the weather is cooler again, and the foliage is wonderful (intensity varies by region, of course).

Winter has major holiday events and snow, if you enjoy that. I also personally enjoy cold weather over warm, so this I'm a little biased on this one.
>>
Why does everyone say Japan is hot in the Summer? It's only like 85-95F with 50-70% humidity. That's really not that bad.
>>
>>1275738
It depends where you're from. It's pretty brutal for a Southern California native like me, the temperatures are nothing special but I can't handle the humidity at all.
>>
>>1275741
Eh I guess, from the US south and AZ so just reminds me of Summer/monsoon season. Actually cooler really.
>>
>>1275741
I'm also from Southern California and was wondering about the humidity. How do I deal with it?
>>
>>1275738
Where I live is VERY hot but it is dry as fuck. I can't imagine how gross it is a humid summer.
>>
>>1275743
I wish I knew. Wearing lightweight breathable clothing helps, but it's hard to do that and not look like an idiot out of place tourist. I just picked up some fancy-schmancy jeans that look normal but are made out of a breathable stretchy fabric and I'm hoping they help.
>>
>>1275744
I live in rural Australia where it gets over 45C in Summer and it's quite dry. I just came from a 2 week trip to Japan and people definitely over-exaggerate the heat and humidity in Japan in Summer.
>>
>>1275738
Sounds like Atlanta right now
>>
>>1275744
monsoon season easy 110-115 40-60% humidity.

>>1275743
Don't wear cotton clothing, avoid heavy jeans.
>>
>>1275757
FWIW my Japanese friends have been telling me that this year is abnormally mild. It was pretty miserable the last time I was there, especially in Kansai, but it was probably 10F hotter and 20% more humid that year than it is right now.
>>
Anyone here have any success getting into Japan without a four year degree and teach English without one too?

I'm taking a TEFL certification course right now and should be done probably in a couple months, assuming all goes as planned.

While I know a TEFL cert isn't required, I want to have at least some idea of how to do my job before possibly getting to Japan. I'd also figured that it would give some credentials to help me get a sponsorship to get into the country.

Might I add I studied Japanese for one year in college, and understand some Kanji, Hiragana and katakana, as well as speak and understand some basic spoken Japanese.

Any advice or experienced individuals with input is appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>>1275776
Yeah, I went this summer expecting unbearable heat and humidity, but it was stupidly fine and I thought I was going to have a really hard time.

Tbh, spring/summer in Bordeaux was WAY worse and summer in Paris was at least 15% worse than what I'm experiencing in Japan right now.
>>
>>1275749
>>1275761
Should I shave? And I don't just mean my face.
>>
>>1275793
Dunno, I just always keep trimmed up
>>
I wish Japan had more mixed Onsens. Me and my BF can't find a single one where we can bare it all together at an Onsen. The mud one near Kyushu but it's nowhere Tokyo/Osaka where we'll be staying
>>
I went to japan end of last year for 2 weeks, before i left a made a huge itinerary that i probably wouldn't recommend for anything under 10 days, i wanted to see as much as possible. I put it in a Japan thread ages ago and some ppl really appreciated it so i'll chuck it in here too, if anyone has any questions at all let me know.
<iframe width="800" height="600" src="https://www.docdroid.net/MgAUFN8/japlanning.pdf" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
>>
>>1275819
fuck
http://docdro.id/MgAUFN8
>>
Is buying autographs a thing in Akihabara? I'd love to get my hands on a VA/Seiyuu autograph (without attending a lottery-based signing event). Was wondering if they just sell it at stores.
>>
I'll try this again in a new one...

I'm going from Osaka to Okinawa (Naha) today and I'm afraid there's not that much to do out there (Eurofag).

How can I get around on the island when there's no trains? Is there a good diving school out there?

I will be out there for 4 nights and I only found some caves that should be worth the effort of trying to get some transportation. And the beach of course... I'm glad I am going to Kyoto and Tokyo later. I had an awesome time in Tokyo, especially Akihabara, crazy! Hope it will get even better, booked a hotel in Shinjuku so I can stay out past the JR bedtime.
>>
>>1275820
This is really really good info. Thanks Anon.
>>
>>1275668
There's a fireworks festival the 19th somewhere along a river, can't recall where exactly and my notes are packed for Okinawa right now.
>>
>>1275839
thanks man! I had a bit of free time haha
>>
>>1275806
Just get a ryokan with a private in-room bath.
>>
If you could spent one night in a nice hotel in Tokyo, which would you pick? Taking into account distance from things you'd want to do around the area. I've got a bunch of points racked up on my CC that I'm gonna splurge with for a couple of nights.
>>
>>1275736
Would Early-mid June be early enough to avoid the full brunt of the heat? Or do I have to go in May? 85F max would feel good.
>>
>>1275843
19th should be 29th
>>
Anyone know a way to shut someone the fuck up about "how expensive japan is". I keep telling my friend 10,000 yen for spending money a day is way too fucking much to even think about allocating for. I'm about to rip my hair out or just up and ignore shit at this point.

Yes I get that akihbara has a lot of fun things and that can cost you a good amount of money. Yes Comiket is going to be cool and you will see a lot of neat things. Yes I understand you may need to use public transportation quite a bit. Yes going to a bar can be expensive(just drink some shit before going in).

Is it a lost cause to debate this further? leaving in a few weeks for Comiket and some other small travels there after, and my friend keeps flipping out about "not having enough money, stuff is really expensive in big cities". Without doing breakfast, a big lunch, steak dinner, constant use of a bus, some beers, and buying things that look "neat"; I can't seem to hit 10,000 yen a day.

Sorry for the rant, I've just been dealing with 5,500 yen won't cover you all day anon BS. Should I just ignore it and laugh when he is exchanging back in all his yen when we fly back stateside?
>>
>>1275888
>Should I just ignore it and laugh when he is exchanging back in all his yen when we fly back stateside?
yes. if he won't be convinced don't spend any energy trying to convince him. but are you bringing cash to last the whole trip? just use the atms at 7-11. never had a problem with one.
>>
>>1275891
Bringing enough Yen to pay for my hostel during my stay in Tokyo, a train ride from Narita, data sim, and some food money. Just enough for the basics if my bank card gets fucked up via fraud protection or something, I have enough to get me through the first day. I hear wells fargo has no problems at 7-11's and already told them to unblock my card for travels, but it's a just in case sorta thing I feel more comfortable doing
>>
>>1275888
I mean, I can't imagine spending 10,000Y EVERY day - But as someone who is big into street fashion, I expect to drop at least 100,000Y over the period of a week on items costing 20,000Y+ each. So it can happen easily if they actually know what they're interested in.

No need to be a dickhead about it, anyway; At least he'll have the funds available if he needs them and will have fun.
>>
>>1275899
Aside from a unfilled backpack for manga/hentai books, and some weeb crap; that's really the most expensive thing I think anyone of us will be buying. The reason I went off on a rant there was because I am getting shit like "dunno how you're going to afford the bus", "I hope you don't mind going on a diet", or "good luck getting into <insert attraction here>"

I get that anime figures and stuff can be expensive, not denying that. However, for just getting around tokyo and some outlying places like Kofu, Osaka, and Fuji(travel already taken into account and paid for); I can't imagine needing that much per day.

Dunno I think I am just going to ignore it from now on, sorry bout the ranting.
>>
Hey anons,
Ive got 6 nights left in japan, and no rail pass, before my flight leaves tokyo. Besides yokohama, are there any significant areas close enough to tokyo where it would be worth spending a couple of nights? Just so that im not staying for the entire 6 nights in Tokyo but also so I dont have any huge trains fares either.. thanks in advance
>>
>>1275806
http://www.secret-japan.com/onsen/location/japan.php

check this website, it has a pretty good list of onsen and clearly marks them as co-ed.
>>1275835
yes
>>1275837
buses are a thing (e.g. if you want to go to the aquarium or other places).
>>1275885
Park Hyatt of course
>>1275903
Nikko, Kamakura, Izu Peninsula, Hakone
>>
File: adadadad.jpg (50KB, 800x522px) Image search: [Google]
adadadad.jpg
50KB, 800x522px
flying in 7 hours to Tokyo, hopefully I can get some sleep in the plane. First time flying.
>>
have fun
>>
>>1275806
Just ask for a kazoku-buro or kashikiri-buro. You can rent a private onsen for a few extra bucks.
>>
Asking again in the new thread;

Has anybody here done the Kiso valley area/Nakasendo trail?

Debating whether to just do the whole trail and stay at inns along the way, or rent an AirBnB home in the middle and spend a few days exploring the whole area.
>>
>>1275885
Andaz. More convenient to the rail lines that the Park Hyatt, larger rooms that don't look like something out of the '90s, and an amazing bath and shower. The only place I stayed that topped it was in Nikko, and that place had a private onsen style bath in the room and kaiseki dinner.
>>
>>1275903
Nikko is a good place for a couple nights. Still a lot to see at Toshugu Shrine, Lake Chuzenji has a pretty comfy boat tour, and there's a lot of hiking for all activity levels in the area.
>>
>>1275790
1 year of Japanese means nothing, you can get an abusive job at a sketch Rollie's easily or maybe get lucky and get a cushy JET position if you "went to the right school".

I didn't go that route, after graduating from college I researched what company that I wanted to work for that had offices in Japan, got a real job with benefits then made myself useful and earned a degree in business operations. Living in Japan while working for a foreign company was like paradise, you get good pay and vacation time you can actually use. After spending a few years there and picking up a Japanese wife I was asked to relocate, maybe someday I will retire there since property outside Tokyo is so freaking cheap. Anyway getting an English job is delaying you from starting your career or life, if you understand that and are okay with that (as many are) then go for it, there are other ways to get to japan if you are useful.
>>
>>1275902
Can I get in trouble for bringing loli doujins?
>>
>>1275938
Hope you have a good time
>>
Hey guys, what are some good skiing packages for Hokkaido during January? I am travelling solo so I will want to be in a group to meet people.
>>
>>1275975
Depends on the country you live in, they won't say anything at the jp airport but they will check your luggage when coming back, and cointries/States where loli is illegal have agents trained to fuck your shit up hard if you bring back the lolis.
>>
Anyone here has experienced sleeping in Mcdonald or Net cafe? I'm about to do it, but just need to know what's ahead so I wont get kick out. Do I have to buy a drink every hr to let the mcdonald staff keep me? or do I just need to buy a 700 yen meal, as for net cafe, how does it operate?
>>
Anyone who can share some experiences of going to more rural areas in Japan? I've been a weeb for years and its a dream to go to Japan. Yet at the same time being in a crowded city doesn't appeal to me.

Interested in going to Hokkaido maybe or Okinawa.
>>
>>1275975
Depends where you live. If it's the US, refer to the "Loli in the Land of the Free" chart. You may or may not have your luggage searched when entering your home country. In the US at least, unless you get selected for secondary screening, you will have no issues taking loli through the airport in a carry on for domestic travel on your connectinf flight (if you have one).

t. Georgia burger who's bought a ton of loli in Cali from AX and then flown home in 2009-2012, and brought loli tanks through LAX customs and on to GA this year
>>
Anyone know the best way to ship a bunch of books home to America? I'm leaving after a year stay and I seem to have bought too much to fit in my luggage.
>>
>>1275975
US doesn't care. You may get some of the worst looks of your life but there really isn't anything they can/will do. 99% of the time they are looking for drugs or weapons, not anime drawings
>>
>>1275930
Arrigato!

Spent an evening walking around trying to find an arcade and found a great place to eat. Didn't find the arcade yet, but got to swim at midnight in that beach with a big ass bridge in the water. Hope nobody saw me banging my gf in the water, but I'm sure they did.

Haven't seen too many busses driving around, but I'll check it out tomorrow in daylight.
>>
>>1276029
bump for interest
>>
File: gcc_shibuya_bunkamura_top_3.jpg (96KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
gcc_shibuya_bunkamura_top_3.jpg
96KB, 600x400px
>>1276029
>>1276166
I slept often in net cafes. Once went to Kyoto for a week and only slept in net cafes because it's so fucking cheap. Also free internet and free drinks and cheap food. But I think you have to register before you can stay. Not sure if it's easy without Japanese skills. Some even have sleeping sofas instead of those regular seats. But there is not too much privacy and it's noisy at night because everyone is farting and snoring.

As for McDonalds, no idea because I always just prefered netcafes.
>>
>>1276188
Really? How does the price compares to cheap hotels? Also do they have showers in cafes?
>>
>>1276188
Most anything is cheaper than a hotel in japan, well tokyo atleast. Most hostels run 20-25 USD, capsules sometimes 15-20 USD. I don't know of a net cafe with a shower.
>>
>>1276057
Just go to the post office, I'd say. They'll be heavy so it'll be expensive, but if you don't need them right away, you could always opt for transport by ship.
>>
Should I procure Yen from my German banks or can I get cash in Japan via Visa credit card? Can I get Yen in exchange for cash Euro? What is the preferred solution?
>>
>>1276272
If your credit card is anything like the US, you will be charged a hefty fee for using it at ATMs for cash. Use a bank issued debit card linked to your bank account if at all possible, as ATM fees will be cheaper.
>>
https://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/ryokan-single/?ryokan=Senju-in

Anyone have any experience with this place?
>>
>>1275930
Mind listing where I can purchase seiyuu autographs? Are they at stores? Or do you mean online auctions?
>>
>>1276306
According to my bank, if I were to use my debit card in non-Euro countries I'd have to pay a hefty fee. I don't have to pay this fee if I use my credit card though. I am asking because Japanese banks don't accept foreign credit cards most of the time, right? So I was wondering if I could just bring Euro cash and buy Yen cash with it - or if I should just order Yen cash at my local bank.
>>
Are there any massage venues like the one in Rush Hour 2? Where Carter gets to pick who and how many masseuse and in a massage chair getting pampered?
>>
>>1276322
Check if your credit card has foreign transaction fees or cash advance fees. Compare with whatever they will charge you for using your debit card out of country. If both options suck, find a better bank for your checking account/debit card needs. If that isn't an option, take the less expensive of the two you have.
>>
>>1276326
>>>/macau/
>>
>>1276330
I am more worried about the fees the Japanese sight will charge me.
Because the conversion fees of my bank are minimal to nothing.
>>
>>1276332
Most always it is a 5 dollar atm fee, SOMETIMES 1-3% in exchange rate in whatever you are getting out. It's still almost always going to come out on top compared to getting your money at an airport where they will usually do 10-12%
>>
>>1276332
Seven Bank (they provide the ATMs in 7-11s, which work best with foreign cards) charges no fee other than the exchange rate fee as far as I can tell. I was not charged any fees from the ATM's side while in Japan using my card.

If I was you I would double check the following two things on your credit card:

1. Is there a fee for withdrawing cash using the credit card
2. How soon do they start applying interest on the amount you took out? Quick googling of German credit cards tell me that some begin applying it very quickly.

How much is the "hefty fee" your bank is telling you you will be charged for using your debit card outside Europe? Because cash advance fees on credit cards typically start at 5%, and then you also have the exchange rate fee >>1276334 mentioned.
>>
>>1276337
>1. Is there a fee for withdrawing cash using the credit card
No fee.
>2. How soon do they start applying interest on the amount you took out? Quick googling of German credit cards tell me that some begin applying it very quickly.
Interest? On my credit? I never had to worry about such a thing, as the amount is taken from my regular account at the end of the month automatically. There are no interests to pay. So, none.

So basically, if I use those 7-11s I don't have to worry about anything? It seems I was worried for nothing.
>>
>>1276338
Most you'll have to pay is 5 bucks(just assume you'll have to pay it), and some minimal percentage for an exchange rate.

Everyone I've seen talking about getting out stuff from around the globe mention it is virtually unnoticeable. Like if you take out 100,000 Yen, you MAY get charged 3000-1000 yen. It's basically nothing to write home about, just be aware there might be minimal fees applied. It's still way cheaper and easier than ordering yen from a currency exchange
>>
>>1276338
>Interest? On my credit? I never had to worry about such a thing, as the amount is taken from my regular account at the end of the month automatically. There are no interests to pay.

That's the thing. Cash advances through credit card are treated differently from your actual credit line. You have a different limit when using a card for cash advance, and this is treated as a separate loan from your revolving credit limit. Interest on this amount often starts on the day you take it out. I advise you to find your card agreement documents and read the section on cash advances very carefully before going forward with it.

>>1276343
He's talking about using his credit card for a cash advance, which is very different from withdrawing money from your bank account using a debit card.
>>
>>1276345
I know speaking only from the ATM aspect, cash advances are completely different via bank and are impossible to know without asking whatever random bank he has. Then again a lot of people call their checking or debit card, credit cards for some reason
>>
Any places like pubs n stuff where you can watch the tokyo watch mayweather vs mcgregor boxing match?
>>
>>1276348
bunch of sports bars to the south of akihabara near the river
>>
>>1276347

Use of a credit card as debit card for the purpose of cash withdrawal has been treated as a separate entity from every bank I've used, and interest accumulates and recapitulates immediately. My debit card, on the other hand, incurs a $1.95 fee + damn good exchange rate at 7/11&i ATMs, and is a hell of a lot better than my credit card. He's right, check your contract thoroughly.
>>
Can you buy data sims at trainstations or 711's? or is it usually airports only.
>>
>>1276372
Oh nvm, Japan rail pass sells a 6GB/30day card for 40 bucks, that's just what I need for my stay
>>
Does anyone happen to know where I can find a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter in Tokyo? I didn't realize my laptop charger had the grounding prong until I got it out at my Airbnb. Googling doesn't really bring up anything specific
>>
>>1276491
Try going to a hostel/hotel and asking if they have one. I'm not sure if they'd sell it to you though.

From what I'm reading BIC or conbini like Lawson might have them.
>>
>>1276317
I remember seeing some in stores. There's this one huge multi level store near the station that has a lot of autographed cards
>>
I'm in kyoto for 3 days, should I go to Osaka too?
>>
Could you hypothetically use an expired JR pass to get onto a train? Ive only had 1 guy actually look closely at it, everyone else just kinda catches a glimpse of the pass and waves me through the gate. I'm thinking you could probably just attempt to get on a shinkansen and if anyone questions you just pull the stupid foreigner card... Thoughts?

P.s. I doubt I'll try this because I have the rest of my accomodation booked. But I thought I would run it by you guys
>>
>>1276528

I would say so. Osaka seemed like the coolest place for young people (20~), it was the only place I saw japanese with tattoos and dreadlocks etc. Which is the kinda shit I'm into. Wish id spent a few nights there and checked out the nightlife on a weekend because of this.
>>
>>1276544
I've always had it checked pretty extensively inside the Shinkansen. They'll probably throw you out at best, call the popo at worst
>>
>>1276548
Interesting, I haven't had my ticket checked on a shinkansen except for when I accidentally got on a nozomi
>>
My friend is the loudest person anyone will ever meet, but he's a great guy. He lost both his parents to cancer in 18 months so myself and a friend are thinking of taking him to Japan for his birthday. I plan to give him the lowdown about being quiet on public transport, but what about being loud outside/in shops/in restaurants? Feels a bit weird to tell someone "Don't be yourself for two weeks", but I'd rather not get glares from the locals for being dumb obnoxious foreigners. When this guy laughs you need to hold on to something.
>>
>>1276565

Take him somewhere else.
>>
>>1276568
Japan's his dream holiday destination and we thought it'd be good for him. He's not a rude guy or anything, but when he gets excited about shit he just cranks it to 100.
>>
>>1276569
He will be glared at all the time, no exception. People glare at you for even talking in the metro, everyone is quiet here.
Take that into account. But the only answer are indeed take him somewhere else or to not be himself for two weeks.
You'll even feel bad talking/laughing with your friends in a restaurant here, so expect the worst stares of your life for two entire weeks, at some point I'm sure you'll be even too embarrassed to stay with him.
>>
>>1276569
Take him to Japan. I've been here for two weeks now and talk all the time everywhere the whole time. Just don't give that much shits about what they think, you'll probably never going to see them again in your whole life or their next. I don't feel like I'm being watched the whole time, so I guess you're safe. It's awesome here, let the guy enjoy himself.
>>
>>1276576
t. american tourist subhuman

No wonder why casual racism is always present, you guys are worse than the fucking foreigners you despise so much for not being willing to assimilate in your "culture" in your home country.
>>
>>1276605
I'm European thank you.

Give the guy a break. I wait at the lights in a nice straight line, I make sure not to drop a piece of paper next to the bin, even when nobody is looking, I'm not throwing around sarin gas in the subway or anything like that, I just talk on the subway. If some fuck thinks I shouldn't he can suck my dick. I behave like a saint in Japan, don't give me that bullshit that I should be in complete silence and ride the train like a fucking autistic little kid.

I don't give a shit about culture, or whatever dictorial regime you believe in, my behavior is fine. I just came off the subway and the locals were all talking and it was far from silent. Let the loud kid have his Japan, he's not stabbing people.
>>
>>1276618
If you're riding during rush hour, especially in the morning, you very much should shut the fuck up on the subway. Nobody wants to hear you blabber on loudly when they're tired and going to/coming from work.

Any other time, especially late nights on the weekends nobody cares
>>
>>1276622
And I don't care about your work problems. Stab me if you want me to shut up, show me that moral superiority of yours by shutting me up.
>>
>>1276569
Anyway. Don't let these local wankers discourage you to come to Japan. They all talk on the subway, they all talk in restaurants, they all act like wild faggots in front of a dance dance revolution machine, they are all loud when you give them a microphone and a screen with lyrics, they bang on their arcades like complete mindfucked idiots... So don't let them tell you to stop talking, they are far from superior, they are all the same like you, just humans. Don't stab people, don't throw sarin gas, (I'm not sure if you should or shouldn't grab women by their crotch on the subway because that's considered normal by some of these superior beings, as long as you don't talk while doing it I guess...), they all are walking around with smartphones in their faces not caring if you are walking in their path...

Come to Japan, it's crazy and you'll love it.
>>
>>1275951
Thank you for mentioning that trail! I hadn't heard of it, but it looks really interesting. Might be something I'd want to do the next time I go over there.
>>
anyone got experience with traveling to japan with only a one way ticket? were there some difficulties?
>>
I'm guessing the JR Pass isn't really worth it if your only spending your time in Tokyo?
>>
>>1276740
No, just use the IC cards for bus travel. JR pass is most always for getting out of tokyo
>>
Hey everyone - I'm new here so apologies in advance if this has been asked before.

Any experiences on trips with a travel company, rather than going on your own? Basically, where you have tour guides and most of it is mapped out for you. I'm planning to go to Japan for a few weeks asap as a spontaneous thing. Never been abroad (from US) so I'm pretty much clueless.

Goes Tokyo - Takayama - Kanazawa - Hiroshima - Kyoto - Mt. Fuji - back to Tokyo all in 14 days for $3,600. That includes housing, transport, and 4 meals. There's another shorter trip for 9 days for $2,700 with the same inclusions.

Thoughts on the sites/length/price/overall travel company business? Am I being too ambitious and should take a step back, take more time to plan things out, and go later in time? It's kind of an urgent thing because I finished grad school two months ago and am still job hunting. So want to do it as soon as possible in case I get a job in the near future

Thank you!
>>
>>1276707
All four times I've been I've landed with a one-way ticket and never had a word spoken about it.
>>
>>1276778
>Thoughts on the sites/length/price/overall travel company business?

You're going to be ripped your asshole a new one, go to the biggest tourist traps in """authentic japan""", have some really shitty food, and be rushed around. For 14 days and half that you could do the same with Airbnb + flight + JR pass, and take your time exploring. Japanican, japan tours, and viatour; all do tours inside japan that you can just hop on the same bus those packages are marking up fo you to do, for less.

Just go to kayak, or whatever airline you want, check out a flight, stay in some hostels, and nab a JR pass. In less than a few hours work you could easily put together the same package as the 14 day one for probably around 2,500. You don't need to know japanese, knowing how to say thank you and such are nice though.

Pretty much all those stops are on a 7 day JR line ticket and you will be bussed around like cattle. Serious advice, don't do any travel agency bookings if you actually want to go and see things.
>>
>>1276491
Try Yodobashi Camera, they have a pretty huge electronics section. You might be able to get a replacement plug for your laptop charger instead of a plug adapter, especially if it's a Mac or something common like that.
>>
If I buy a Television from a electronic store, is there a delivery service the store can provide? I can't carry a t.v. all the way from store back to the dorm.
>>
>>1276799
Usually, you can ask them to ship it to your residence at a bit of an extra cost.

(I didn't know this and carried a TV on the bus, on the train, and all the way to my apartment for about 2 hours.)
>>
>>1276787
Thanks for this, super helpful.

There aren't really set activities or anything though. Just set destinations. Sure, you'll see the basic touristy stuff, but besides those there's free time to do whatever you want, and eat whatever you want. Plus there's a shit ton of hiking planned which I love.

You know better than I do, but for someone who's never been there before and wants a quick two-week intro, is it that bad? Another part is that you're with a group of other US people. So you can do activities with them rather than, say, go to a sushi bar all alone
>>
>>1276605
>>1276622
wew autist-kun, do you ever rest!? You're so diligent in protecting Gotham from "the others"!
>>
>>1276851
If there are no tours or set plans then you are super getting ripped off. A JR pass that can take you anywhere in japan for 14 days is 400 bucks. A flight ~1000, and hostels/airbnb are 20-25 usd a night. You'll come out WAY ahead compared to any tourist package. You don't need a package for any of that, fuji is easy to climb, hiking around nara and such is easy, getting around is very simple.

>for someone who's never been there before and wants a quick two-week intro, is it that bad?

Bunch of first timers always post here, japan is probably the easiest country to go without knowing the language. Most people are friendly enough to help you out.

>Another part is that you're with a group of other US people.

Wouldn't call that a positive, many people from the US who go to japan are pretty dumb. Hostels would be the way I go, bunch of americans who did some research and a bunch of people from around the globe.

> So you can do activities with them rather than, say, go to a sushi bar all alone

Pretty easy to join up with some people in japan, especially if you sit at the bar, if you go to a hostel with another english speaker it is even more easy.
>>
File: 20170717_161917.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170717_161917.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
I found this cool forest shrine near Kyoto. I wasnt sure if I was even allowed to be there, and it was at the foot of a hiking trail which had multiple paths and lead up towards a mountain. This was by far better than any of the popular tourist attractions because there was only 2 japanese couples here as opposed to fucking crowds of annoying tourists taking photos and all the commercialization that goes along with that.

Im staying in tokyo for the next 5 nights until I fly home, and was wondering if you guys know any nice quiet places like this out in the wilderness which I could get to in a day?
>>
Any good public gyms around akihabara/Taito to look at?
>>
>>1275888
Not everyone is and lives like a poorfag.
>>
>>1276880
Awesome dude, I appreciate it

Going to take a step back and just go another time. Not that you've discouraged me, I'm just opting for Europe or somewhere else to dip my feet into traveling. Before I eventually hit up Japan I'll probably learn some Japanese while I'm at it for fun.

Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>1276932
Kurama? That place is pretty dope.
>>
>>1275640
Are there ant nice diving spots in Japan? I plan a trip from tokyo to osaka and it will be nice do it.
>>
>>1277039
izu peninsula

chiba if you want to see sharks
>>
I was feeling impulsive and tired of talking myself out of travel so I booked myself a two week stay at an airbnb in Toshima for next month. Going from the 16th to 30th so I'll miss Obon unfortunately. I haven't really planned anything out other than that I want to go to Tokyo Disneyland. Should I make a rough plan to follow or just kinda wing it and enjoy Tokyo as it comes to me? I figure two weeks is enough to take it at a relaxed pace.

Downloaded Hyperdia and Yomiwa already. Little nervous but I don't think it's fully hit me yet.
>>
I'm currently in Tokyo and i have a few questions:

1. I feel a bit of a cold coming up and i've seen lots of folks just wearing those masks, would i'd be really cringy if i got one too?Seems like the appropriate thing to do

2. When i g out i usually finish around 1am or so but no public transport. Where can i always find a place to sleep?
>>
Anyone have any experience getting tattoos in Japan? I've been saving my back because I want to get a Japanese style piece done by a tebori artist. Looked into some websites that basically facilitate the process for you, setting up Skype interviews with artists from all kinds of different regions and specialties.
>>
Tokyo - what are some bitchin' museums, shrines, zoos and generally stuff like that?
>>
>>1277273
I liked the Kanda Myoujin shrine, just west of Akihabara, when I visited. I wouldn't call it "bitchin'", particularly, but it was restful after the activity of Akihabara. There seemed to some kind of musical rehearsal at the time.
>>
>>1276991
>Not everyone is and lives like a poorfag.

If 5-6,000 yen won't cover your daily expenses, I am not sure what you are doing. Maybe other anon's have different experiences, but 5,500 yen per day seems reasonably healthy to live it up.
>>
Average price for a drinkable bottle of sake, or whatever a 6 pack is in japan? I want to drink with my mates but at the same time don't want to break the bank.
>>
File: 20160923_214237.jpg (178KB, 1753x986px) Image search: [Google]
20160923_214237.jpg
178KB, 1753x986px
A few questions.
I have a chance to go back to Japan for 5 weeks.
October-November.
I've been two times before in the summer and winter.
Where are some nice places to see fall colors?
I'm mostly looking for comfy but I'm probably going to spend Halloween in Tokyo.
Are leaves changing in Kyushu around this time?
Where is a good place to stay in the Japanese Alps?
>>
>>1275668
>>1275843

Sumidagawa Fireworks Festival in Asakusa
>>
>>1275978
bump on this please
>>
>>1275791
If you're talking about this year's spring+summer then it's been way hotter than usual in France and western Europe. It was the warmest June in like 200 years in Belgium and so on..

But I agree, I hiked june-july in Japan three years ago and the only time it's really tough is a few days in late July, when the moisture from the (cooler) rain period hasn't evaporated, while the heat from the warm (but dry) summer period has begun to set in. That's absolute hell, I could literally watch as my sweat pooled on my arms, since there was no where for it to go with the air already being at 100%.
>>
>>1276778
>Any experiences on trips with a travel company, rather than going on your own?
That's a whole other thread. I've done it in the gulf and Egypt. Some places are rough and even a day-long guided trip helps you figure things out.

Japan is not like that. Nearly all signs in English, safe for both sexes at all hours. You can pay more to get your hand-held (LEWD) but you can prep on your own over time
>>
>>1276937
No
>>
>>1277320
Alcohol is dirt cheap. You're okay.
>>
>>1275938
Enjoy
>>
Where can I buy plastic food like this?
https://youtu.be/V8FAyy7GrD4
is there a special name for it?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSxjtk3eA8M
>>
>>1277501
Too many sulphuric acid up her snatch from all those onsens...

I guess it's all good as long as she doesn't talk on the subway or in a restaurant. That's her husband's job anyway...
>>
>>1277501
this can't be real
>>
File: 053ca482887a2f733.gif (2MB, 300x196px) Image search: [Google]
053ca482887a2f733.gif
2MB, 300x196px
>>1277501
AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

Why is it always the most delusional people who travel to Japan and Vlog about it holy shit
>>
File: 20161001_183415.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20161001_183415.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
Where can I meet cool local people in Tokyo?
I'm going solo so I want to meet people who want to hang out with/show a foreigner around.
I'm guessing just pop into a foreigner friendly bar?
Are there any specific areas that have a higher concentration of foreigner friendly places?
>>
Very simple shopping-related question here.

Is sales tax calculated at the register, is it pre-included in the sticker price, or is there no sales tax at all?
>>
>>1277675
Sales tax is usually included in the sticker price, and you can see the non-taxed price in a smaller font on the sticker.

If you're a tourist and buying something for the purposes of taking home, you can show them your passport and get the sales tax back.
>>
>>1277501
>a white Canadian girl who was raised atheist is living in Japan & converted to Islam
Goddamn.
>>
File: 1481508531136.jpg (232KB, 979x832px) Image search: [Google]
1481508531136.jpg
232KB, 979x832px
>>1275640

ctrl+F'ing through the thread about Debit Cards, I did not find my answer so here I go:

Can I just use my BoA debit card to pay at restaurants/shops?

Like if they have the little terminal at the register and all?

What about ApplePay?

Or is it better to just bring a wad of bills to exchange for yen at the Narita kiosk?

(I'd like to avoid carrying cash on me as much as possible)

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>1277676
>If you're a tourist and buying something for the purposes of taking home, you can show them your passport and get the sales tax back.
Okay, I gotta admit, I never tried avoiding sales tax as a tourist, regardless of the country.
>>
If I made a tinder asking for a succ for $100. Is that against Japan laws if someone did show up and give succ
>>
>>1277686
If you make a Tinder account and you still have to pay for sex, you're doing something VERY wrong.
>>
>>1277679
You can sometimes use the card but not often. Your card should work in most ATMs though and will absolutely work in all 7/11 ATMs, and you shouldn't ever have trouble finding a 7/11 in any major city. Don't exchange at the airport, those rates are bad.
>>
>>1277692
I'm actually saving my virginity for someone I love. Just wanted something to get rid of the stress with no string attached.
>>
>>1277694
>saving your virginity
kek
Well, if you don't want to have sex then why don't you just go to a pink salon?
>>
>>1277694
>thinks Tinder is a prostitution app
>is willing to pay $100 for a blowjob
Gee, it's no wonder that you're a virgin.

Seriously though, if you want to pay for it, Tinder is not the answer. Tinder is for when you want to get it for (almost) free.
>>
>>1277694
Japanese hospitals actually have medical handjobs that are perfectly legal.

It's actually meant for patients who can't use their own hands, but hey, if you've got the money.
>>
File: hlogo.gif (10KB, 266x65px) Image search: [Google]
hlogo.gif
10KB, 266x65px
Can anyone tell me what this logo says? My girlfriend got some cheap anime tiddies prints for her coworkers and this was on the bag.

When we were on the subway I was holding the bag for her and and every once in awhile some guys in suits would look over and laugh. I assumed they were just buzzed and laughing at the obvious gaijin but it wasn't until I got off that I realized I was holding a bag that was probably announcing to the world that I was carrying hentai
>>
>>1277701
軸中心派
>>
Where is the best place for sun rise and sunset in tokyo?
I have already tried rainbow bridge and goverment builsing for sunset. Its my last 2 days left in japan and i want something to rememeber thanks.
>>
Anybody know of any hidden gem or must see things/places in Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka (or nearby), including bars/clubs/restaurants? Will be in Japan from 4 to 28 Aug. and I'm still working on my itinerary.

I've been there once before for about 2.5 weeks and was in Tokyo for most of the time, so I've already seen some of the usual popular sightseeing spots (Senso-ji, Skytree, Ueno park/zoo, etc.)

Also, please rate these places if you've been there and tell me whether I should or shouldn't bother to go there and why/why not:

>Golden Gai
>Odaiba / Joypolis
>Roppongi Hills
>Tokyo Tower
>J-WORLD
>Sanjusangendo
>Toji
>Umeda Sky Building
>Sumiyoshi Taisha
>>
>>1277695
because speak zero japanese. I haven't even dine in any Japanese restaurant. Get take out everyday.
>>
>>1276568
>>1276574
>>1276605
>>1276622
This autismo makes me want to ride the metro just to laugh at the top of my lungs with my friends and loudly chew potato chips with my mouth open.
>>
>>1277717
how to use a pinsaro 101.
>look them up online (there are cheap and shitty ones or there are more expensive ones with better girls. Google translate is your friend)
>go to place
>pay money
>get serviced
>leave

On the cheap and shitty side there's Janjan and Hinomaru, on the more expensive side I recommend New Hot Point. A simple google for any of these will give a guide on how they work and what teir prices are.
>>
>>1277726
Thanks
>>
>>1277679
You can. That being said, it's a bad idea and you'd be better served by withdrawing a large amount of money and spending that down. Using your debit card for transactions will incur a foreign transaction fee, and it will be cheaper to just withdraw money from 7/11s.

So you have two options:
1. Get a credit or debit card with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee (think capitalone quicksilver or charles schwab checking account + debit card), and carry a moderate amount of money to pay for things at places that don't take card.

2. Withdraw a ton of money with your BoA debit from a 7/11, spend that down, withdraw more as needed.

Bring along $50 USD or so to exchange at the airport in either case to pay for things like your IC card that will buy your train fare from the airport to Tokyo.
>>
Hey guys--

Is it realistic to try cycle from Lake Kawaguchiko to the suicide forest? I'm reasonably fit but am worried about finding a route. Cheers!!
>>
>>1277770
Suicide in Japan isn't really a thing anymore
>>
>>1277719
I too am a contrarian edgelord
>>
>>1277697
All countries have this
>>
booked my accomdations for my trip. So just wondering for hostels in Japan they have places that store suitcases right? Anyone have experience with the Imano Tokyo and the Khaosan near Namba?
>>
>>1277770
I think it depends on whether you're planning a return trip or not
>>
>>1277863
almost every train station has a place u can store lockers if theres no where at ur hostel
>>
File: jeans short.jpg (30KB, 370x474px) Image search: [Google]
jeans short.jpg
30KB, 370x474px
Is it ok to wear short jeans (pic related) in Tokyo and places around it? I'm going there for ~3 weeks and am a 21 year old college student; I know it's very hot and humid so I don't want to sweat excessively but I also don't want to be "judged". I was thinking of bringing 2 long pairs of pants and 3 shorter ones, pic related being the shortest of the bunch. Thanks in advance!
>>
>>1277979
no, absolutely not
>>
>>1277979
when are you going? It's "okay" in July and August. But really it doesn't matter since you're a Gaijin anyways
>>
>>1277979
>wearing short pants
>as a man

It isn't ok anywhere in the world.

I've never seen an attractive man with short pants
>>
>>1277982
Could you clarify that a bit more? What should I wear then?

>>1277985
I'm going in a week and will be staying there till the middle of August.

>>1277987
I think it's more than okay if worn casually, you won't wear it if you work in a bank but if you're in your twenties and hanging out with your friends, what's the problem?
>>
>>1277989
To further justify my wearing of shorts in Japan:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k6540143-What_to_wear_in_Japan-Japan.html

"You can read a lot that is written by the "Japanophiles" who seem to hate their own cultures and worship the culture here so they assume that they will blend in and become Japanese if they act a certain way, look a certain way and follow a set of rules that are pretty much outdated stereotypes. Sadly, they don't actually ever fit in."
>>
A friend and I are travelling to Japan mid-September and were very much hoping to hike up Fuji, however we arrive September 10th and unfortunately this is the day that the official climbing season ends. Does anyone know how difficult would it be to climb 2 or 3 days after? I know it's a little bit tougher to get out there in regards to transport, and a lot of the stations on the mountain close, but is it considerably more dangerous? I've heard it isn't too bad until October hits, and after that you're basically at risk of dying.
>>
>>1278012
You can climb until late November without having any problems. After that only experienced alpinist can go until May. The danger of the mountain is that in December, January there are strong icy winds and the ice cover is quite thin. So if you get blown off your feet by a strong gust it is almost impossible to do a self arrest and if you read cases of people who died there they were almost always hiking alone and were inexperienced. Even so in off season the mountain is a pretty easy since there is no glacier and no technical challenges.
>>
>>1277987
One of my closest friends wore shorts on some hot days while we were there and he's very attractive
>>
This channel looks like it is growing into something good.
https://www.youtube.com/MashumaroRinaberry
>>
>>1278025
Oh you mean the same channel that posted this?
>>1277494
Shill your shit elsewhere or at least try not being so obvious about it.
>>
File: waterbridge.jpg (393KB, 1504x1004px) Image search: [Google]
waterbridge.jpg
393KB, 1504x1004px
Hello friends!
What's the best way to enjoy rural japan?
Japan's nature is just so mesmerizing...
>>
>>1278046
Backpacking, hitchhiking, hiking. Shikoku in general has a nice countryside feel with cool mountains. Check out momonga village
>>
>>1277989
Shorts are fine, especially during this time. No one will care
>>
Found out my friend hasn't been practicing using chop sticks how tucked is he. I told him to practice for months but he didn't listen
>>
>>1278097
99% of the time you'll probably get a fork or knife anyways
>>
File: Fall-1.jpg (775KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Fall-1.jpg
775KB, 1920x1080px
Mid October-Mid November in Japan.
Where are some cool places to see fall colors?
>>
Is it worth it to visit Tokyo a second time?

I visited Japan in 2014 for six weeks. Been to all major sites in Tokyo, as well as Nikko, Kamakura, Yokohama and Hakone in the outlying areas. I think I spent around ten days total in Tokyo. Now why I want to visit again, well I didn't bring a camera first time just my shitty smartphone. I also only went to the Edo Tokyo museum and the National museum and that WWII propaganda museum and there's quite a few interesting museums to visit. And I stayed at an empty hostel and didn't really meet a lot of people and would like to try out more bars/cafes/restaurants, maybe visit some theatre play.

Do you think I'd be bored if I went in December for ten days (two days of travel)? I read that you could do day trips to Nagano and Mount Fuji (I only saw it from the train), Mt Takao/Mitake or Matsumoto castle.

I could also go to Taipei or Hong Kong as air fare is really cheap (400-500€) but those cities have nothing that interests me a lot.
>>
>>1278118
I'm in the same position as you. I've been to Japan before and for some reason I've been really wanting to go back. I'm just not sure what exactly I'm going to do there.
I missed out on meeting lots of new people last time because I spent so much time site seeing.
>>
>>1277840
Mine doesn't, and it's considered a first-world country.
>>
>>1278118
I don't know about Tokyo, but a repeat visit is not a bad idea if you're planning on visiting parts of the country that you've never seen.

>Now why I want to visit again, well I didn't bring a camera first time just my shitty smartphone.
If that's such a big deal to you, then I strongly advise that you bring a *good* camera with you this time. As a general frame of reference something that costs greater than $500. I did a trip with a cheap $80 camera, and the photos were worse than the ones on my phone.

>I could also go to Taipei or Hong Kong
I recommend Hong Kong. I personally like it better than Japan (though your mileage may vary), but I do think everyone should visit it at least once.
>>
>>1278118
I suggest either going south and exploring southern Honshu and Kyushu, or going north to Sendai, Aomori and Hokkaido. I'm currently planning a 9-10 day trip for next summer. A couple nights in Osaka, a couple in Tokyo with a day trip to Matsumoto for the Taiko Festival, and the rest in Aomori to see Oirase, the Shirakami mountains, Hirosaki castle, etc. There's a lot outside of the Kanto and Kansai area to explore.
>>
>>1278119
Yeah I really regret a bit doing too much exploring and I wish I had more tried to meet people but oh well it was my first trip ever. But same as you I'm a bit lost with things to do.

>>1278128
I bought a camera shortly after the trip and greatly enjoy photography nowadays and it just saddens me a bit when I look at the photos of my Japan trip and they all look so unimpressive.

About Hong Kong, I just have no idea at all what to do there, the only thing I know about the city that you have a hiking trail with the skyscraper view and Macau. So I'd have to do research. With Tokyo I feel I could explore the lesser known parts and revisit the parts I enjoyed a lot.

>>1278129
Kyushu was nice and I'd love to see Hokkaido but I think in December that would be a bit shit with the snow. I don't want to spend much and traveling by Shinkansen is expensive. I'd be interested in skiing for two or three days though. Maybe I'll look into five days Tokyo and three days skiing in Nagano.
>>
>>1277352
Kyoto is an obvious choice for fall colors, but there's a lot more
>>
What has everyone here done regarding cell phone service in Japan?
>>
>>1278204
willmyphonework.net

just get a datasim for like 3,000 yen b mobile is pretty good
>>
>>1278206
Those don't support voice calls though, right? Need to check home now and then. My airbnb includes a portable wifi hotspot so not really sure I need a data-only SIM.
>>
>>1278211
Google voice gives you a free number, if your phone supports wifi calling just do that.

I'm taking a throwaway phone just for that reason, a 20 dollar walmart andriod phone supports wifi calling now of days
>>
>>1278206
Only works for unlocked phones right?
>>
>>1278216
No shit.
>>
>>1278216
>buying a locked phone

Most phones in the 100-200 dollar range are fine.
>>
>>1278235
I want something with a good camera and good battery life for Japan. Is there anything that can be had fairly cheap?
>>
>>1278118
I never get sick of Tokyo, but it might be a personal thing. I have stayed there for like 6 months total in my lifetime and even though I tried Hokkaido last time I still want to go back to Tokyo.

That place just has a certain kind of magic I can't explain.
>>
>>1278236
Honor 5x, ZTE MAX XL, Asus Zenfone 2
>>
>>1278240
Zenfone 3 Max
>>
>>1277979
I haven't worn long pants once here. Way too hot. Don't listen to the Japs, they even wear sweaters and gloves on the beach. I've seen them swimming completely dressed...
>>
>>1277979
>hot
It's only in the 80's lol
>humid
Grow a pair
>>
Anyone experienced with swinger clubs or the likes? Something to visit as a couple, no hookers.
>>
>>1277979
I just got back from Japan, I wore shorts at least 70% of the time. Felt a bit touristy, and I wasn't much cooler than the times I just wore khakis, but it lets you pack lighter, and as long as you're not dressed too casual no one else gives a shit.

>>1277660
This is probably a disappointing answer, but Tinder and other dating apps make it suuuuuper easy to find a native to take you around. Loved it for Tokyo, let me see a lot of places that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise due to not being foreigner-friendly.
>>
>>1278235
My work provides a good phone, but surprise surprise it's locked to AT&T. I did look in to unlocking it since the contract is up, but AT&T flat out told us that I'd have to get a new plan and phone number in order to have them unlock it. So I just got a mobile wifi in Japan and called it a day.
>>
>>1277172
1. Yes. Just don't bother.

2. I'm not sure I understand the question. Just google capsule hotels in the area that you're currently in? They exist for that purpose. You can always sleep in those, or just on the street until the trains start running again at 5am. Nobody will question you for that 4-hour period.
>>
>>1277273
Ueno zoo is pretty cool, and it's flanked by like 5 different museums (art, science, nature, etc.), so it would be a great place to start. It's not a museum, but I personally loved the koishikawa botanical gardens, and the yumenoshima tropical greenhouse dome.
>>
>>1277863
I've actually stayed in a couple hostels around tokyo that had nowhere to store your stuff. I honestly just left mine in my bed (including laptop and other goodies) for the entire couple weeks, smothered in some blankets, and had no problem.
>>
>>1278097
well, >>1278115 is wrong, but he'll be fine anyway since it takes like four seconds to master chopsticks.
>>
How is traveling in Japan in the winter?
Probably wouldn't go farther north than Tokyo.
>>
>>1277979

Nigga what you mean is it OK? Why the fuck do you care what these worker ants think of you?
They dont wear them, but theyre pussies too afraid to stray beyond social expectation.
Youre gonna stand out regardless. Nips dont want you to "fit in", they want you to be a gaijin.
>>
Halloween in Tokyo.
Whats everyone's plans?
>>
>>1278283
>Loved it for Tokyo, let me see a lot of places that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise due to not being foreigner-friendly.

What kind of places?
>>
>>1278308
It's fine. It rarely snows in Tokyo, and you'll feel okay in just a flannel most of the time.
>>
>>1278320
Sweet, that's what I thought.
Also I'm a leaf so I'm not a huge fan of heat in general.
>>
>>1278303
It's okay if i bring a suitcase and all that to hostels right? I booked a private room for Osaka so I'm not worried about that, just the tokyo portion
>>
I'm thinking of heading to Japan for a year. Any advice I should keep in mind? Im thinking of heading to Kyoto so is there anything I should know beforehand?
>>
What are the best places to visit in Japan in December?
>>
>>1278055
not him but I'll be staying in Momonga village in around two weeks. Anything you can recommend there or in the area?
>>
>>1278323
For sure. Some of them actually will have lockers or something to store your stuff in. Even if not, it should be fine to just leave your stuff on your bed while you're out or something. Just ask whoever's running the place about the best course of action.
>>
>>1278328
>Any advice I should keep in mind?

Just that it's gonna get old after a couple months, like most destinations. There are upsides and many downsides, especially if you're working there, and ESPECIALLY if you're an English teacher.

Kyoto's no Tokyo, but it's a fairly big city. If you ration your museum/shrine/miscellaneous-attraction visits, you should be okay for stuff to occupy you over the course of a year.
>>
5 more days of work and them I'm off!
>>
>>1278328
What are you gonna do for work?
>>
would you have trouble if your passport expires 1 week after your return date? i heard something about if its less than 6 months from expiring they wont let you fly.
>>
>>1276932
Where is that?
>>
File: DSC02529.jpg (6MB, 4000x2667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02529.jpg
6MB, 4000x2667px
>>1278345
The rafting is really quite fun, and there are some great hikes in the area. Though during the four days I spent there I mainly hung out with the staff. If you're ok used to hiking I definitely recommend walking to momonga from the train station! The walk was one of the highlights on my trip. Amazing views and 100% countryside (with old men coming out of their houses just to ask me if I'm lost or if I need some water). The hike took me about four hours I think, just look at Google maps and walk straight. You'll get to see small overgrown shrines at the top of the mountain ranges as well, and deep flood rivers. I'll post some pics
>>
File: DSC02567.jpg (7MB, 4000x2371px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02567.jpg
7MB, 4000x2371px
>>1278406
>>
File: DSC02573.jpg (4MB, 4000x2667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02573.jpg
4MB, 4000x2667px
>>1278406
>>
If anyone wants to see my girlfriend's butt it's posted on the wall of M's adult store in Akihabara. You get a discount if you let them take a picture of you in costume.
>>
>>1278409
I'll be there end of the week bc I still need a good Jap porn magazine souvenir, so maybe I'll see her there. What should I look for?
>>
>>1278409
Any good swinger or couples things we could visit?
>>
>>1278406
>>1278407
>>1278408
thanks, that looks amazing really looking forward to it now! I have two nights planned there so far but I could cut one night in Kochi and add it there instead, would you recommend more time?

With walking from the station you mean from Awa-Kawaguchi? Did you just walk over the main road or are there other paths?
>>
>>1278412
She's in a maid costume and her hair is in buns, also I'm pretty sure she's the only white girl showing skins, also only one showing ass.

>>1278413
I've read that there are clubs for singles with at least one accepting non-japanese couples. It's been awhile since I looked that stuff up and my girlfriend started her period not long into the trip and will be on it for the duration so I gave up. Look up couple kissas tokyo
>>
>>1278420
I'll try to let you know what I think of your gf
>>
>>1278420
clubs for only couples*

>>1278423
Here's a preview. It's nothing that lewd but it was fun from a voyeuristic standpoint having someone take a picture of her in the middle of a shop. Her hair is dyed half blue, sadly you can't tell from her pose though
>>
File: IMG_20170723_203051.jpg (12KB, 111x147px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170723_203051.jpg
12KB, 111x147px
>>1278426
forgot pic
>>
>>1278409
what's the discount? does it also apply to guys?
>>
>>1278431
20% off if it's a costume, 30% for lingerie. I didn't see any pictures with guys, I doubt it.
>>
>>1278428
Looking forward to it. Need some lube for the gf though.
>>
>>1278352
7 more days for me and I'm off
>>
>>1278409
Two questions:

>Will they me bring my 16-year-old niece in so that I don't have to leave her waiting on the streets?
>How does one go about propositioning a photo for a discount?
>>
>>1278457
you forgot a verb there but they generally don't card, especially foreigners

>How does one go about propositioning a photo for a discount?

anon please tell me you're not thinking of letting some sleezy Japanese store worker take a raunchy picture of your niece for 20$ off some vibrating panties
>>
File: 1493136216733.jpg (42KB, 848x481px) Image search: [Google]
1493136216733.jpg
42KB, 848x481px
>>1278460
Kek. No, I'm a lady. I'm not sure what to expect when it comes to my niece getting carded, because she is half Asian.
>>
I'm thinking of going to Japan in March 2019. How much do you think it's possible to see of the country without it feeling exhausting in two weeks?

I'd love to see some of Hokkaido, Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka (and possibly Hiroshima), but is that possible without rushing around and being exhausted? I suppose I'd land in Tokyo, go north, travel South, skipping Tokyo, and then spend my final days in Tokyo ready to fly home.

Is that too much?
>>
>>1278474
yes. Limit yourself to Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. Hiroshima if you really want to stretch it. Or do just Tokyo and Hokkaido
>>
>>1278251
That's weird, every time I see them on vacation in my country they seem so casually dressed. Probably escaping the pressure from back home.
>>
>>1278477
Why remove Hokkaido?

Is it because it's that much further away, or just less interesting? I have to say, I won't worry too much if I don't see it, mainly because I'm sure I can see similar terrain much closer to home, and it seems much more sparse considering the effort required to get there.
>>
>>1278480
yeah it's really far away if you want to do the other places. Hokkaido is nice but it requires more time
>>
File: DSC02577.jpg (6MB, 4000x2667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02577.jpg
6MB, 4000x2667px
>>1278406
>>
>>1278477
I don't think Hiroshima/Himeji would be stretching it too much for a 14 day trip, but it does depend on how much you want to see in Tokyo and the Kansai area (Osaka/Kyoto/Nara). Hokkaido is definitely out though, too much travel time back and forth.
>>
>>1278481
Thanks. Maybe another time. In a way I'm glad. At least it means I can travel south and then work my way back to Tokyo.

How long would you (and others) recommend for splitting those three places, with maybe a day in Hiroshima? I was thinking if I made that my first stop and then go to Osaka, then Kyoto, and finish in Tokyo.

Of course, I realise that depends entirely on what it is I want to do, but there's nothing too extreme. I considered Mt. Fuji, but I'm guessing that's quite a but more of an endeavour for a more casual tourist. It doesn't have to be exactly fourteen days, I have 18 months to plan it.

>>1278483
I'd only want to spend a day in Hiroshima, I think (unless people can give me reasons to spend more time there). If I got there early enough I wouldn't be averse to getting there and leaving within a day.

In my head I'm picturing landing in Tokyo, going to Hiroshima the next day, and then going to Osaka the day after that and taking it from there. It sounds easy enough in my head.
>>
>>1278486
Depends on your interests. I spent a night in Hiroshima and a night on Miyajima. I could have spent another night there. I hiked Mt Misen on Miyajima, saw the bomb memorial at the Peace Park, and went to Kure for the JMSDF and Yamato museums. All depends on what interests you.
>>
File: Brother-3-e1458072088219.jpg (52KB, 852x462px) Image search: [Google]
Brother-3-e1458072088219.jpg
52KB, 852x462px
Did Japanese women ever talked to you as gaijin on the streets? I'm a tall and good looking German and anywhere I go I get talked to by strangers. But Japanese people don't even seem to notice me ;_; Not even looking for sex or a girlfriend, just wanna talk and communicate with locals. Is that normal here? I'm afraid of doing the first step because they seem to be scared when I look into their direction
>>
>>1278522
Probably nervous about speaking English.

I haven't been yet, but I'm 6' 4" so I'm guessing I'll probably be a bit intimidating. Will I really be that much taller than people over there?
>>
>>1278522
I've been trying to get eye contact with Japanese girls on the street for over 2 weeks, but didn't, not even once.

A foreign girl I tried worked perfectly, damn she had a pretty look..., but my gf is a cock blocker. Close, aber keine zigarre. It's not you, it's this irrational Japanese social thing.
>>
>>1278526
I'm also a bit over 6'4" and yes you are taller than everyone. It's not as awkward as you might think. As I said they don't notice you at all. But I hit my head sometimes

>>1278527
Damn, and if they are afraid of speaking English then it's probably better to ignore them as well
>>
>>1278534
Kept looking at their eyes dead on, almost creepy, but as soon as they noticed (99 out of 100 even didn't noticed) they look at their phones or feet. Impossible to get to on the streets.

I was in a bar with my gf and there was this pretty 19 yr old sitting alone at the end of the bar. Looking at her phone, sometimes observing our very difficult conversation with the bartender (she was sitting next to us at the bar). Didn't initiate conversation... But as soon as we found out the bliss of Google translate for some deep anthropologist research, she was interested in talking. So I guess it's a really big gap because of the language. A pity, because I would have loved to see her being eaten out by the gf! But as always, I had to do my best to dream about it the night after. Of course I didn't. At least I tried...

Tomorrow there's a big fireworks festival in Osaka by the way, for the people that are listening...
>>
>>1278518
Thanks. It's mainly Peace Park I'd be interested in (I have a slight fascination with sites of atrocities). One day would be plenty for me.
>>
>>1278534
I assumed I would be taller than most. It's pretty funny really. I went to a really rural part of the Philippines and people were taking pictures with me because some had hardly ever seen white people in person, never mind any as tall as me. Got loads of attention from the women. Made me feel like Brad Pitt.
>>
>>1278542
It's similar in some parts of China. But Tokyo is already flooded with foreigners
>>
>>1278544
Is it just like that in Tokyo, or most popular places like Kyoto as well?
>>
>>1278546
I mean it's not like you see foreigners everywhere at any time. But if you are at busy train stations or in the main districts you always see some. Kyoto as well. Nowadays most aren't from western nations but Chinese
>>
I'm going with 3 friends to Tokyo in early November. I have just started my research into the area and which events (if any) are going on around then.

We'll be there for 10 days and all we have planned is that we want to goto Kyoto for some of it and possibly that Iga ninja museum if it isn't lame.

Anyone know of anything going on off the top of their heads?

I'm not really into weeb shit, though I enjoy feudal Japanese history. I can also speak Japanese at a children's level (took it for 3 years in high school 15 years ago)
>>
>>1278566
Also 2 of us are bartenders and will enjoy nightlife shit and 2 of us are avid outdoorsy type and would enjoy wide open spaces.

It's making itinerary a little difficult right now. I'm trying to find short day trips with nights in a city for some of the time there.
>>
>>1278352
>>1278444
6!!!
>>
>going to japan in a few days
>29C
>typhoons possible

When booking a trip they should really put these things up as a warning for traveling. Over 25C is criminal, not to mention a huge risk to be there during a typhooon. Can't even refund my tickets now...
>>
>>1278614
The fuck you on about?
>>
>>1278614
>complaining about 84F
>Anything over 77F is criminal

Wtf kind of snowy wasteland do you reside in, pussy boy?
>>
>>1278568
Golden Gai, Golden Gai, Golden Gai.
That is definitely a nice place to check out in terms of drinking and general interest.

Also for bars wise I'd recommend giving Bar High Five in Ginza visit, it's like a pilgrimage for bartenders to visit when they are in Asia.

Also on another, my friends and I are planning a 2 week trip to Japan, 7 days in Tokyo and 6 in Soaka, we plan on visiting Kyoto, Nara and Mount Koya. Would 6 days be enough for day trips to those places? We're staying in Namba so Doutenbori and Shimsaibashi is close by. Anything else to check out? Are there places in Osaka that's similar to Harajuku in terms of street fashion?
>>
Can I get by in Japan for vacation if I know Hiragana but no Kanji
>>
>>1278623
Learn Katakana
>>
Is 7 days with friends in just Tokyo stupid?.. we are going this August and my friend is a bit annoyed over it's not enough days.
>>
>>1277494
Kappabashi in Tokyo, caters to the restaurant business
>>
>>1278623
You can get by without knowing any Japanese
>>
>>1278664
Same here. Is it good to spend 10 days just in Tokyo for the first time?
>>
>>1278673
You won't run out of things to do in 10 days, but you might feel like you missed out on some other good stuff. Maybe go on a day trip to like Yokohama or Enoshima, or some other interesting place nearby.

Also if you enjoyed Japan/Tokyo, you could always go there again and go to all the big cities you hadn't been to yet.
>>
>>1278673
I spent ten days and my itinerary looked like this

1 - Central Tokyo
2 - Northern Tokyo
3 - Western Tokyo
4 - Southern Tokyo
5 - Day Trip Kamakura
6 - Day Trip Yokohama
7 - Early morning train to Nikko, stay overnight, visit temples
8 - Go hiking in Nikko National park, go back to Tokyo in the evening
9 - Visit Sumo game or some cultural shit
10 - Take bus to Hakone and travel on
>>
>>1278482
sorry anon could you answer this
>>1278414 possibly? thanks!
>>
Planning my first solo trip to Japan, third trip there. Thinking Osaka and neighbouring cities. Last few trips I stayed in business hotels with a friend, looking for recommendations and advice on the best way to tackle cheap accommodation.
I'm late 20s now so a little tired of the 6 to 18 bed dorm room set up I've done in Europe. Would private rooms in hostels be the way to go? Air BnB? Cheap hotels? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1278686
Airbnb. Look for cheap places that have all the stuff you personally want/need, e.g. private bathroom, washing machine, pocket wifi, and then also make sure the location is somewhere near the center of the city you're staying in. For example, you obviously don't want to be extremely far north, because it'd be a pain when traveling far south.
>>
>>1278688
Cool thanks. A bed and a private bathroom is all I'm after. Do you know if Osaka has an equivalent to the Yamanote line in Tokyo so I can find somewhere with decent transport links? I'm thinking I might just try and find somewhere near the main Osaka station.
>>
>>1278619
>I enjoy sweating my ass off

Americans...
>>
>>1278697
No one enjoys sweating, but we all don't have vaginas, so being in a little heat doesn't do much.

Please don't come to east Texas, you might die
>>
>>1278686

I'm doing the same next month. 24 here. Found an Airbnb in Ikebukuro for $11 a night. Pretty sure Airbnb is literally THE way to go when it comes to travelling nowadays. You can find ridiculous deals. I don't mind sleeping on a tatami mat on the floor of some lady's apartment if I get to stay in Toyko for two weeks and only cost me $170
>>
>>1278686
Exact same situation here. Are you me?
I've been looking at Airbnbs since having a home to your self is about the same price as private hostel rooms or hotels.
>>
>>1278697
Nah man I actually hate anything over 90F but it's not the end of the world. That's what AC is for.

It's regularly 90-100F in Virginia with humidity considered "oppressive to miserable" 75% of the time in the summer.
>>
>>1275969
How do you go about researching companies with foreign offices? Every time I've tried I just get redirected to ESL/Teaching sites.
>>
Are people actually complaining that a place is hot during the summer?

It's seriously not that hard to keep cool. Don't wear cotton, drink ample water, go into a shop and walk around to cool off. If you aren't aware of the temperatures in august and can't deal with it, don't fucking go in the hottest month of the year.
>>
Anyone have any experience with JrecIn or Japanese acadameia? I'd love to work in Japan, but my field of study has been in museums, not IT or business.

https://jrecin.jst.go.jp/
>>
Hey guys, it's a rather unrelated question but do any of you play 'osu!'? I wouldn't mind having some friends to play with after I move to Japan in October. I would've posted this on /jp but they hate osu! for some reason.
>>
>>1278762
>go to Japan
>meet new people
>invite them over to play a rinkydink PC game
It would be far less ridiculous to just meet them at arcades.
>>
>>1278777
>"hey my dude, wanna come click circles with me in my weeb cave?"
That's not a bad idea actually, I imagine arcades would be a great place to start
>>
Is 1 week a good amount of time to spend in shikoku in the middle of april? What do you guys recommend over there? No cars.
>>
I booked an Airbnb stay in Tokyo last week. Communicated with the host and she gave me directions on how exactly to get to her house. Had about a dozen reviews on her profile. But today I was going back to look at the itinerary and while I can look at that the listing itself is gone. Should I be worried?
>>
Asked this in /jp/ but thought I might as well ask it here.

I'm going to comiket and staying in japan for a few weeks. Obviously I am going to be buying some doujins, dvd's/cd's, etc. To return back to the US I need to do a 2 hour layover in Shanghai, and I know china has some weird porn laws. I don't plan to leave the airport, and I am checking my bags in at NRT. Would I have any issues with going through china or would they basically not give a shit since my bags are just going from plane 1 to plane 2. Not planning to buy anything like loli shit or questionable crap like that.

Basically the worst that could happen is they just confiscate it and throw it away right?

>>1278846
She could be blocking off airbnb, or just decided to no longer do it after X date and airbnb took it down.
>>
>>1278853

Yeah she was already booked up the first two weeks in August and I booked up the second two weeks so I was thinking maybe she was just taking the listing down for now. Was just a little worried but as long as my stay still shows up and nothing is cancelled I should be alright.
>>
>>1278856
Unless you got a cancellation notice I wouldn't worry too much, but I would just have another place in mind in case. Just sounds like she may be stopping airbnb hosting or taking time off.
>>
Gonna be staying in Tokyo for two weeks next month anyone have any good tattoo-friendly onsens they can recommend? I heard of Takaragawa and it looked fucking gorgeous but location wise I think it's out of the question unfortunately. Huge bummer there.
>>
>>1278781
I'll be there in two weeks, if you stick around for the next thread(s), I can rec something
>>
Help, in Tokyo for the third time and bored as fuck. Can't leave the city as I have to be here some hours a day for work. I even lived here once and I'm afraid I saw everything. Odaiba, Asakusa, Nakano, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Ueno, Akiba, Kichioji, Kichioji, Hachioji, Ebisu, Ginza, Ochanomizu, etc. etc.

I go to Shibuya, eat something good and then I don't know what to do. Went to Tokyu Hands, Muji or Donkichot thousands of times. I can only talk to foreigners or get talked to by them because Japanese are too afraid of talking Engrish. Clubs are shit because most people going there are young men. I'm talking about at least 90%.

Any places that aren't in tour guides but still nice to see or walk around?
>>
>>1278896
I have created these two maps with (mostly) off the track things to do in Tokyo for my last two trips. You probably already saw a lot of places but maybe you can find something interesting. I haven't visited everything on the list but if you have any specific questions just shoot.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZdiPQwuWIXRpgMGNRFxnq9hit1M&usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13HpE_n9zUdPjc7-GoV90cgRbYoU&usp=sharing
>>
>>1278898
Nice, thanks for sharing
>>
>>1278898
Thankyou.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170724-170246~01.png (2MB, 1080x1332px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170724-170246~01.png
2MB, 1080x1332px
>>1278414
Hm, two nights is probably perfect. I had a great time mainly because of me really hitting it of with the staff (we went to karaoke and climbed mountains and stuff), obviously I can't promise you that..

No I didn't follow the big road (like they recommend), I'm on holiday now so I actually drew you a map:
>>
>>1278913
thank you! so the route just leads through the middle of the forest or is there a path I should look out for?

Also that's good to hear there's Karaoke, I wasn't quite sure how many things there are to do in the village
>>
>>1278898
What'd you think of the Cup Noodle museum?
>>
>>1275888
Autism-kun, is that you?
>>
>>1277501
Isn't that the girl that was talking shit on all of the other j-vloggers and they shunned her?
>>
>>1278951
It's a car road, though I only met one car during my walk.

Don't misunderstand.. the "village" is extremely small, we're talking 10 houses or something. There's no karaoke and probably not even a restaurant, I don't remember. I went by car with the staff to a nearby city one day because there were no guests one day..
I spent one day hiking a mountain with some people I met there who had a car, one with the staff, and one just walking around and chilling
>>
How much would you budget for a trip to Tokyo? Thinking about flying in Friday. and flying out Sunday (8 nights).

Flights: 473€
Transport from and to airport: 30€
Accommodation: 200€ (hostel dorm 25€x)
Day spending: 60€, (540€ for nine days)
Other stuff: 150€

I think last time I spent about 60€ in Japan per day but that was when the Euro was strong and the Yen was weak. Probably won't need to take any Shinkansen. Is Disney Sea worth it? I loved Universal Studios.
>>
What would be an decent frugal budget for a single person visiting for a couple weeks? I want to go to Akita prefecture and stay at a hot spring for a while though.
>>
>>1279007
Not autism kun, but it is annoying how some people will completely overbudget for japan because someone somewhere told them it was expensive then have to deal with a worry wart the whole time in japan.

>>1279154
The yen is still fairly weak compared to the USD/Euro, you'll be getting by with ~7500-7800 yen per day, thats way more than enough to eat and drink classy, visit some cool places, and use the bus system heavily.

It would really come down to what kind of souviners you like to buy.
>>
>>1278482
Like being back on the penninsula in the bay area.

We don't believe in mothman out here in the semi-arids/desert (we have cartels and inland methheads and tweakers for our boogeymen) but I can't help but feel if I were fulltime innawoods I'd get some weird verdant-brand PTSD.
>>
>>1278898
thanks
>>
>>1279154
I'm doing about 60 USD per day and having trouble spending it all.

My assumptions per day
>2500 yen for food
>1500 yen for transportation
>1500 yen for some pints
>1200 yen for admission into sights like gardens, museums, attractions
~6700 yen a day
>>
>>1279154

I'm going next month for two weeks.

Flight was $800 and my stay is gonna be $170 for the two weeks. Going with about $2000 and I'm not really worried. As long as you're not going nuts with tourist like spending Japan doesn't seem like it has to be that expensive. I'm planning on doing Tokyo Disney & Disney Sea as well but I'm a big Disney fag.
>>
Yeah Japan can be very cheap so long as you keep you wits about you with tourist traps and don't buy everything that is shiny. I'm doing roughly 650USD/week for my trip and feel like that is pretty healthy to live on. Just keep in mind how much things cost and that you don't have to buy EVERYTHING.
>>
I think food and souvenirs are the most dangerous things.

If you're just taking in the sights and traveling around maybe checking some museums you can get by cheap as hell especially eating at konbinis, $1 sushi plates and the like. If you're buying a grip of stuff on Akihabara and eating at the touristy restaurants for every meal you're gonna have a rough time. I'd say the whole "come back at the end" rule applies strongly when it comes to Japan. In that you should never buy something right away but come back later before you leave if you're still thinking about it and want it.

My main worry is about how much I'm gonna spend at Tokyo Disney. They have godlike merch compared to us in California.
>>
Anyone know where I can get a cheap popup tent in Tokyo?
>>
>>1279257
You are not including accommodation though, and sometimes transport can be extremely expensive (shinkansen).
>>
>>1279289
JR pass and hostels paid for
>>
>>1279289

Just use Hyperdia and take the cheapest routes. Unless you're going all over Japan and in that case obviously get the JRP.
>>
File: 1500173080161.jpg (95KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1500173080161.jpg
95KB, 960x960px
I'm spending 16 days in October with a spending budget of around 5k AUD (after travel/accomm.)
Flight was $370 return and most of the accommodation has been booked in full apartments through AirBnB at ~$650. The first week is being spent hiking, so minimal expenses those days.

It's my first 'big trip' though so I fully intend to go all-out on the Tokyo shopping. I would've saved on the accomm, but I'm taking my teenage niece along with me so I wanted something private/safe.
>>
>>1279296

Always wondered are flights to Japan from Australia a lot cheaper or something because distance? $370 is killer if you're going right into Tokyo
>>
>>1279279
Yeah food can be a hidden enemy because portions are a bit smaller compared to other places, and you may spend more than you thought before you know it.

I personally set an allowance on myself at around 8,000 yen for ventures out with a extra 15,000 yen in my back pocket for "just incase" situations. Going to cool places to eat like akihabara and stuff is nice, but you'll spend a lot of excess money on things you could have gotten much cheaper elsewhere. I'll usually just keep the excess money I have over from each day(usually have 1-2,000 yen left over easy), and go out on the weekends to go pickup something I saw earlier in the week, or hit up a night out somewhere.
>>
>>1279279
What do they have merch-wise that they don't have at Disneyland? Looking for some cool souvenirs to bring for my nephew.
>>
File: scr-i6s-dn25-27[1].jpg (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
scr-i6s-dn25-27[1].jpg
41KB, 500x500px
>>1279310

It's just merch in general. They get a lot more creative shit because of the nature of how the Japanese consume and market things. They have some kickass phone cases though that we never see. And a lot of characters that the west ignore are beloved and used in Tokyo Disney like the Three Caballeros who not only get merch but are face characters.

http://tdrexplorer.com/tokyo-disney-resort-merchandise-list-prices/
>>
>>1279311
Cool stuff, thanks. Shame the phone cases are almost always only for iphones.
>>
I'm gonna be in the Tokyo area from the 17th of August to the 30th. Where can I find out what kind of events and things are going on around that time? Or would anyone happen to know?
>>
>>1279319
cheapotokyo
>>
>>1279311
The Three Caballeros are relevant in Japan?
Well hot damn, that movie is underrated.
>>
>>1279322

The Japs love Hispanic culture for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt_X1YV1SS4
>>
For the bullet trains, do I need to reserve seats on with my JR pass prior to? I'm doing some spotty research and see it as mixed results of yes and no.
>>
Two questions. Are yukatas appropriate for foreigners? AFAIK they're mainly for festivals but I don't know if I'm expected to wear one and/or if it would be frowned upon to do so. Also don't know WHERE it's appropriate. Would you wear one to a firework festival?

And are bars/clubs decent places for tourists to meet people? I imagine it's going to be pricey and while I love to party if I'm not going to find anyone willing to chat and hang out with there I might as well skip it.
>>
>>1279341
> I don't know if I'm expected to wear one and/or if it would be frowned upon to do so.

They won't care, you'll probably get strange looks and mixed opinions if you wear one but you'll just be passed off as a dumb foreigner.

>Also don't know WHERE it's appropriate. Would you wear one to a firework festival?

As a visitor I wouldn't do so because it will look and be awkward

>And are bars/clubs decent places for tourists to meet people?

Tripadvisor, yelp, google, ask wherever you are staying for suggestions. Some hostels have bars in them.

> I imagine it's going to be pricey and while I love to party if I'm not going to find anyone willing to chat and hang out with there I might as well skip it.

Unless you go to an american or foreign style bar, booze shouldn't be anymore expensive than where you are from if not cheaper. Sake is pretty cheap, and you can go get some beer at a store drink a little before going out or on the way to a bar and no one would give two shits.
>>
>>1278522
>not looking for sex or a girlfriend
Then why did you specifically ask about women?
>>
>>1278697
I fucking hate heat from the bottom of my heart, so much so that I moved several hours north literally just to get a longer winter, and even I agree you're being a whiny pissbaby. "Over 25C is criminal"? Bruh.
>>
New bread >>1279376
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.