[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Africa Saftey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: 690px-Map-Africa-Regions.png (344KB, 690x717px) Image search: [Google]
690px-Map-Africa-Regions.png
344KB, 690x717px
I'm going with my two friends to Africa for a month and a half. So far we are planing on Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria, Cameron, DRC, Kenya, Ethiopia in that order.

Sorta nervous. We'll stick together but we are three women and we aren't doing touristy stuff we're mostly hanging in cities. I've heard it's easy to be swindled and stuff like that and in some cases worse. Any advice for the countries listed above?
>>
Scams are easy to avoid if you stick together. That way you've got three brains working to figure out what the angle is, and to pull one person away from the situation if he/she gets sucked in.
Most common scam I've encountered is "Here's a gift [shitty jewelry], please take it, I won't take no for an answer. Now, you have some present from America for me? No, not that, give me a present of ten dollars."

Are you flying to each of these cities? If not can you talk more about the logistics of your trip? Also, why did you chose those countries?
>>
>>1275374
We're driving to most we only take a flight to get to Kinshasa. And we choose them for the social scene and getting to know the locals in the capitals.
>>
PRO TIP: Don't go especially if you're white
>>
>>1275378
Why
>>
>>1275378
We're white and we're kind of worried
>>
what are you planning on doing in DRC?
>>
>>1275358
Not sure if this is a troll thread or not, but I'll bite.
Do not go to countries that are flagged by your own government and the UN.

You seem to lack knowledge of Africa. For the love of God do not go to the DRC for example. Think about what you are about to do.
>>
>>1275358
boko haram is active in nigeria and cameron.

look at the travel warnings of your department of foreign affairs for the countries you plan to travel to.
>>
>>1275358
I know Ivory Coast and Ghana to be safe, as I have family in those countries.
From what I hear from friends you should avoid DRC for now (even though I don't recall of a time where they told me it was okay to go)
I don't know about the other places.

Do you speak French ? Most of Western Africa does, it will help you greatly
>>
>>1275358
I'm >>1275529 , I didn't see that you were three women.
I wouldn't recommend travelling in Africa (maghreb, western, eastern or central) as lone women if you are not accompanied by local guides, or if you don't know any locals.
If you don't speak French then don't go.
>>
>>1275378
Scammers get a 'financial erection' when the see whites, specifically young whites with attractive girls who are so naive to the fact that just because the natives are laughing and smiling with you, it doesn't mean they aren't planning to rob you.
>>
Don't mean to hijack your thread OP, but what if you're a Nigerian American visiting Nigeria for the first time? I have dual citizenship already, so I need my passport and i'll be set. What should I look out for?
>>
You're going to have an awful time in the DRC.
>>
Ah, Congo, the rapiest place there is

Where in Nigeria? Nigeria can be dangerous in certain places. Ghana, Cameroon, Kenya and Ethiopia shouldnt be a problem though. Dont know about Ivory Coast though, never been there
>>
OP, stay in southern Nigeria. Don't go to the North.

Go to Lagos
>>
>>1275474
mostly meet people we're staying in the capital only so hopefully can find some cool places.

>>1275489
we'll stay out of Boko Haram areas

>>1275529
just English

>>1275531
We're just going to the capitals

>>1275587
>>1275607
only Lagos. And the DRC we'll stay in the capital to be safe. It's really all about meeting new people. People said DRC is dangerous so we want to understand what's going ont here and why there's violence.
>>
>>1275650
Accra is a ridiculously fun city>>1275650
to party in, even as a westerner. Go to Osu and you'll find lots of bars with travelers/NGO people who will want to hang too. Also you are making a mistake going to Ivory Coast instead of Togo. Togo is more fun and less dangerous than IC.
>>
File: image.png (262KB, 600x656px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
262KB, 600x656px
>>1275358
Sure, just like me and the lads are going to Thailand for the "great beaches"

>insertyourfacehere.png
>>
>>1275650
>People said DRC is dangerous so we want to understand what's going ont here and why there's violence.
You're an idiot.
>>
>>1275650
>DRC we'll stay in the capital to be safe

The capital is actually one of the more dangerous areas of the country. You should go out in to the comfy jungle a bit and see some elephants or something
>>
>>1275358
I'll see you in the news soon.
"3 white women raped by an entire village, to be then forcefully circumcised by the village's women with no anesthesic, beaten and sold into slavery to some arabs."

You'll find no sympathy here.
>>
You are going to :
-die
-get raped
-get taken hostage
-a mix of the three
You are three WHITE FOREIGN WOMEN
Literally couldn't be worse
>>
>>1275358
>Ivory Coast
Was there, it had a revolt going on a couple months ago, was calm before. Think it calmed down, so probably okay, but you'd better double check that anyway.
>Ghana
Also been there. Africa for beginners. Comparatively speaking crawling with western volunteers/NGO workers/students etc.
>Nigeria
Basically every single travel report I read/traveller I've spoken mentioned running into trouble at some point. Also Lagos is a traffic jam.
>Cameron
's Fine as far as I know, don't go to the North close to the Nigerian border, Boko Haram.
>DRC
Oh boy. Can go any way really. Avoid Kasai and the eastern CAR/Uganda/Rwanda/Burundi border areas in general.
>Kenya
Stay away from North to avoid Al Shabaab, otherwise easy mode outside of election times.
>Ethiopia
Revolt from last year calmed down again, should be fine again.

>>1275650
>It's really all about meeting new people. People said DRC is dangerous so we want to understand what's going ont here and why there's violence.
Forgive me, but you sound quite naive. You will meet people who are genuinely friendly, and you'll meet those who seem to be genuinely friendly but want something. The line is often quite thin, and if this is your first time in Africa, you'll find yourself in unpleasant situations rather quickly because you guessed wrong. Tip: Christian/Catholic missions are generally a safe haven.
>>
>>1275358
>three women
Yeah, you're just looking to get raped and murdered. At least take some buff white dudes with you.
>>
what kind of sheltered lifestyle did OP grow up in where she thinks it's safe for 3 white girls to go to Africa. You know this won't be like your Euro trip daddy paid for, right?
>>
>>1275574
Are you 100% black ? Locals generally dislike mixed-race children
From what I've heard Lagos is as safe as a 13 million inhabitants city in a developing country can be
Stick with your family and you'll be fine
>>
>>1276237
What kind of CNN filled life are you living anon ?
Most of the African continent isn't hell on earth you dummy, gotta watch out but not more than in any developing countries
>>
Is Libya a cool place to visit? What about Morocco?
>>
>>1275825
We'll look into Togo

>>1275844
Well we are looking to be social and we are single so we wouldn't be opposed to getting to know some of the locals. Not sure I appreciate that meme though.

>>1275865
Should we not do DRC?

>>1275890
keep reading the news which tries to scare you

>>1276046
is it actually that dangerous?

>>1276064
thanks for the info

>>1276095
we're not looking to get raped. As I said we are looking to get social if the mood strikes us but it's mostly about cultural understanding. We've never been to Africa and want to experience it.

>>1276265
thank you!
>>
>>1276261
>Are you 100% black ?

Yup. Both parents are Igbo
>>
>>1276408
> is it actually that dangerous
For three white women yes it is
Not every country but you'll most likely wont come back from DRC
>>
>>1276267
>Is Libya a cool place to visit?
Anon, Libya became a hellhole after the NATO/Gulf states intervention in 2011.
>>
>>1276267
Lybia is absolutely no-go. Doesn't your country have a foreign affairs ministry ? On their website their usually is a map of dangerosity levels by country
Morocco is perfectly fine

>>1276408
Central Africa isn't a very nice place, lots of civil war and political instability, especially now. Western Africa is big enough for you to travel in, and way safer
Keep it cool, ignore the beggars, don't look for trouble and you'll be fine. I recommend contacting some locals beforehand, on Couchsurfing for example, so you have someone to help you discover the city in a safer way. Be careful tho, some accounts are scammers
>>
>>1275358
What's the deal with International rail travel in Africa?

Anyone try this? I want to but I just don't know what the conditions will be like. I assume it's cheaper than flying from one country to the next, and I'm not going to drive where do some crazy motorbike shit.
>>
>>1276423
Okay cool because one time during the Ivorian civil war, my cousin (black and white mixed) almost got abducted by rebels at a checkpoint because of his skin color. Pretty scary

Do you have relatives in Nigeria ?
>>
You are an absolute madman OP
>>
>>1276408
>is it actually that dangerous?
DRC is potentially volatile at any moment with the current political climate. If you avoid the places I mentioned a find some trustworthy local to show you around it may be fine, but even then I wouldn't count on it.

Tbh I would just skip Nigeria and DRC, the rest of your trip is safe enough if you're not an idiot. Keep in mind that if you've never been to Africa it'll be one hell of a culture shock with upsides and downsides.

>>1276757
>What's the deal with International rail travel in Africa?
Can more or less be summarized by the word 'nonexistent'. Some countries have functional lines, part of which are for passengers. The only operational international line I know of is Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso to Abidjan in Ivory Coast. South Africa might have one or more international connections, and Kenya might be connected to Uganda or somesuch, but that's going to be about it for Sub-Saharan Africa.
>>
Three white women in DRC is a recipe for disaster, but what about a white man with a guide? Might go in December for a project, probably with one or two other males.
>>
File: 204-3.jpg (82KB, 612x577px) Image search: [Google]
204-3.jpg
82KB, 612x577px
>>1276757
You could travel from egypt to sudan, and southern africa has some railways. There is also an amazing railway in Mauritania, which will take you deep into the sahara.

All railways have been built by european powers during the times of colonization. They most go from a resource rich part of africa to a port. Sadly this has not changed, since most african countries still run alot like resource colonies.

The only exemption is the sudan railway, which was built to move the british army from egypt into sudan, to defeat the Mahdi.
>>
>>1277037
>There is also an amazing railway in Mauritania
I know the one you are referring to, I think it's inappropriate to suggest it.
>>
>>1277043
I have been on that train, what makea you say it is inappropriate to suggest it?

Sure it is not for a casual tourist, but it was a very nice experience.
>>
>>1276759
Yes, tons! In fact, most of my relatives actually reside in Nigeria, especially Lagos or the Igbo States in the south east
>>
File: tunne.png (259KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
tunne.png
259KB, 1000x800px
>>1277037
Anyone else feeling emotional about the fact that we're not going to be 20'something and exploring Africa, transcontinentally on a train.
Maybe even easy and unharrased train-hopping, given the African, relaxed attitude towards public safety.

All the brown, tropic ass we're never going to get.
We're one or two generations too old.
>>
>>1277231
You are romanticizing the past. You would never have afforded any kind of travel if you weren't exceedingly wealthy/privileged at the time, two generations ago. Is that your family heritage anon? Enjoy good books, dream about life as tarzan, out of africa, dr livingstone, collecting plant specimens for queen victoria, but then also realize you had a 50/50 chance of dying before you got to your current age, and you didn't have mosquito repellent.
>>
>>1277238
Not the past, I meant the future!
When they finally build transcontinental railways in Africa, when it finally starts to settle down there.
We are too old for that and it bothers me.
>>
>>1277240
Because of global warming, africa will look more and more like mad max, i m affraid no one will ever travel africa like they are in thailand.

You can live your dream in souther africa, just watch out for aids.
>>
>>1275358
Make out your wills, name executors, etc. You might not come back when you were planning to, if at all.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.