[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured /trv/ may

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: b767_02.jpg (37KB, 550x361px) Image search: [Google]
b767_02.jpg
37KB, 550x361px
Wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured /trv/ may know someone who's a pilot (parents, family friends, etc).

I'm seriously considering getting a commercial pilot's license, but I have a history of mental illness (depression and anxiety disorder). Luckily I've never been committed so there's no hard documentation on that front, but I have gone to therapists and have been prescribed medication (I don't currently take any). I've stabilized well for years without needing meds or special help, but I do have this in my past. I could lie, but I wonder about them being able to pull medical records or forcing me to self-disclose or else they won't hire. I'm totally confident in myself to be fine and not fly the plane into the ocean -- if I had any doubts I wouldn't even think about getting a license because that'd be too fucked.

Possible?
>>
>>1275287
Possible yes but forget about the big jets/airlines if you don't want to lie.
You can always be a island hopper pilot, business jet pilot or even fly PAX around for a small airline in Indonesia or Africa.
The last one is where the actual fun happens and I will go back doing exactly that in 2 years.

t. pilotfag
>>
>>1275302

Tell me more about this actual fun; I'm an adventurous dude.

I was also thinking about doing the island hopper flights in Hawaii (where I'm from).
>>
>>1275317
It's flying small puddle jumpers like a PC-6 or the Caravan to small often unpaved airports delivering goods and PAX. You're literally the life line and link to civilisation or fly the same small planes around the world greatest safari parks and stuff like the victoria falls...
Everyone is in a good mood, you actually fly the plane and not just babysit the flight computer and you will get some really crazy sometimes fucked up experiences.

Pretty good payment (especially as it's dirt cheap to life there), those companies actually care about their pilots (because your bosses are actual pilots) and value loyalty.
>>
>>1275287
Oh God please don't. It would be just my luck that I get you as a pilot on the same day you have baby's first existential crisis.
>>
OP, majority of humans have a history of mental illness. People with no mental illness are the minority.
It's the way you handle it that makes all the difference.
>>
>>1275317
Also this thread might be highly relevant for you as I'm a Euro.
>>>/n/1088421
>>
>>1275320

Wow, that actually sounds great. What sort of licensing does one need for that? Commercial pilot? Is it hard as fuck to get into those jobs or not so bad as long as you have a decent amount of flight hours under your belt? That sounds more like what I'm looking for instead of commercial flights and whatnot. Adventure shit
>>
>>1275406
Yeah you need your CPL, having some hours logged as CFi is a bonus.

In Africa you will have to be present and hand out your CV to the companies, endure 1-2 months of going through hell
>camping and eating shitty street food to go trough selection...
but if you land a job and stick with it it's a ticket to a large airline or in your case stay there and become chef pilot.

SEA is kinda different, you apply for the job. and if they like your CV they will invite you...
Put you trough harsh 3 week training but if you meet the standards you will be a FO in under 4 weeks and fly commercial planes
>>
>>1275406
>>1275421
FWIW some British TV channel or other did a whole documentary series about pilots in SEA. It's called "Worst Place to be a Pilot" or something like that, and it's all on Youtube. I can't claim to know whether it's accurate or not, but it might be worth watching.
>>
>>1275287
Talk to an AME. only they can review your history and tell you what you need to clear with the FAA
>>1275320
Please point me in the right direction this sounds great
>>
>>1275509
What you're looking for are small charter companies in the developing world with a very limited local pilot pool.
>Colombia
>Brazil
>Peru
>Indonesia and Papua
>India
>Botswana
>DR Congo
>Mozambique
>Zimbabwe
>Namibia

or the "first world areas" where a lot of small airstrips need connection flights that are only accessible by small planes
>Bahamas and the Caribbean
>Polynesia area
>northern Canada

In all those places the Pilot community has one thing in common, it's 80% EU&UK/US&CAN/AUS, 10% suicidal russians flying their salvaged ww2 era planes, 10% locals&other
>>
>>1275287
No Andreas Lubitz you already crashed your plane and you're dead, you can't fly anymore.
>>
>>1275302
hes right..

T., airline fag and ex pilot..
>>
>>1275287
I have always wondered why someone would pay out the ass to become a commercial airline pilot when you could just learn via the military and then get discharged...
>>
>>1275325
>everyone has mental problems
Yeah just say that LOL.
Boss will nod, shake your hand and say "You're right anon, we'll call you."

They will not call.
>>
>>1276860
low demand and high washout factor; I actuallly know a 10/10 woman whos going through flight training now for the chair force
>>
>>1276866
Yes, that confirms my point. You'd have to pay for flight school if not in the chair force. And it's expensive af.
>>
>>1276870
yep...Still paying for flights i took in the 90s. Major factor in changing my major. I did get a flight ops minor though.

But my school raked up debt, sold off to ITT, and is now completely closed. so a once respected school died in shame.

RIPDWC
>>
>>1276870
Oh, I forgot to mention, ROTC is an option, but it helps your chances to have a degree if you want to fly for the military.

There is a major pilot shortage now, so people are getting railroaded through training and into the regionals..
>>
>>1275287
Lying would be pointless anyway, if they don't already have all your records to begin with they have the legal authority and ability to pull up all your medical history, and they will when you apply.

Just tell them upfront, like asking out a girl, the worst they can say is No.
>>
>>1275287
Aussie anon with a CPL here.

I've gone through this process too. Don't EVER lie, it'll make it a shitload worse in the long run. Being a pilot is a stressful job so it's impossible for any pilot to have "perfect" mental health. In the renewal process of your class 1 medical just let your doctor know if you have been experiencing anything detrimental to your mental health and they'll usually just ask you some questions. If they claim it's required, they might send you to a psych for further analysis but I've never had this happen to me. As long as you haven't had any seriously bad thoughts such as ones about killing yourself or killing others then they'll generally judge you on the answers you give. If they claim it's within safe limits they'll keep it on your notes which'll be handed over to the respective aviation board of your country (CASA here). They esentially just check up on you every time you renew your medical.

I was going through some shit at home during my training with my family last year and since I did my CPL through a university I had help from the uni too. I'm currently a flight instructor and so far I've haven't had my mental health brought into question at all other than the "check up questions" that I get every year at my class 1. Usually just involves shit like "How're you doing at home", "Have you had any suicidal thoughts?", "Has your mental health led you to taking any illicit substances or alcoholism?" etc.

tl;dr: Don't hide it, get help if needed instead of suppressing it and be comfortable to talk to your doctors about it come medical time.
>>
>>1276875
The contracts blow though. In length I mean.

I'm on the fence right now about commissioning.

Times running out actually because I'm almost 25.

Thing is, despite all the bennies, a 6 year active duty contract kind of blows if you want to do a bunch of other shit with your life while in your 20's. Only thing keeping me from committing to it.
>>
>>1276974
The point I was trying to make (awkwardly and drunkenly) is the need for military pilots is on the decline, mostly because of drones. So there are a ton of canidates for very few positions, so if you dont make it, you're stuck in the fucking military. (Id love to hear milatary people weigh in on this, all I know is the word on the ramp)

Airlines however, are dealing with a vicious pilot shortage. I know first officers that arent old enough to rent a car but fly the line. Granted they were rich kids, but still. The pilot shortage is starting to really hurt US carriers, so you will get full throttled through the system, more likely faster than a military career.

Word of warning though. its a fucking boring job. If your not taking off or landing, you're basically just sitting there. You really have to love it to do it professionally.
>>
>>1275287
Be honest and upfront, but only if they explicitly ask you about a history of mental illness.
They just want to make sure you don't pull a Germanwings.
>>
>>1277038
Tell them youll have a lot of loyalty for a hired guy;.
>>
>>1277038

OP here, yeah I don't want to pull a Germanwings either. It's always worrisome with this stuff because people with no firsthand experience with mental illness have some wild ideas about what it is. They basically just file it under "crazy," and once you're crazy then you might do anything!! Who knows when he'll pop: he's CrAzY!!

So I'm always very careful with when/how I bring it up in my life.

>>1277005
It's tempting to get free flight school but I'm sure the military knows that's what people do so they'll get their due from you. I'd rather go in debt and have a surefire path to getting licensure than having the possibility of being stuck in a ground job in fucking Kuwait
>>
>>1277176
That's why the active duty contracts are 6 years now. Not to mention approx. 2 years of training that isn't included in your contract length.

Almost everyone who goes pilot route in the military stay in the military to get their pensions because at that point, why the fuck not? It's only 10-12 more years really.

Thing is, me personally I can't. I want to do a million other things that don't involve in the military.

I may go Air National Guard, but they have limited slots of actual flying, More likely to get a chance to fly choppers with the regular National Guard.
>>
>>1275287
OP you seem resistant to your disorder. I can read what you state from different perspectives. It could be you are resistant to your diagnosis or need for medication right now! If you were utterly cognizant of the dangers of your disorder, and how much you do not have control of your actions when you and if you go without sleep for two days, and aren't currently under any care, which you would avoid if you were a pilot, then you don't know what you'd be capable of if you were delusional. A medical professional would know this, as does the FAA and people who would want to hire you. It's a no go. It's like a cardiac condition. Forget it.

Why not spend your time getting into a nice airline maintenance gig. It will cost you what, a year or two, and you make just as much money. Entry level pilots are getting paid nothing right now.
>>
Look up the basic maintanence costs of owning even a bare bones piper or cessna.

Then remember you're a mentally ill neet with no money or mechanical skills.

Then maybe go flip burgers or something instead of thinking you're going to be on some sure fire path to being a bush pilot wearing an indiana jones hat. Faggot.
>>
>>1277233
>>1277237

I thought /trv/ was above shitposting
>>
>>1277176
ya. recruiters always lie as the saying goes. Fuck up one test and youll be working the ramp in the middle east somewhere. Aircraft maintenance is always in demand though.
>>
>>1277262
33 is right about the pilot wages. A friend of mine took a pay CUT as a first officer when she switched from working the gate as a customer service agent. She went from having years of company experience to the bottom of the crew seniority list.

MX is always an option if you like working around airplanes.

Heres a little test to see if your basically cut out to fly. Go Learn the rule yourself. You will have to memorize many of these.
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/
>>
File: 1498845505276.png (405KB, 473x532px) Image search: [Google]
1498845505276.png
405KB, 473x532px
>tfw epileptic
>tfw will never fly an airliner
>>
File: 1488911605913.jpg (44KB, 750x403px) Image search: [Google]
1488911605913.jpg
44KB, 750x403px
>>1277262
>I thought /trv/ was above shitposting
>>
Should I work at an airport? I just like being at an airport. I get excited when i enter an airport. I live in DFW and there are 3 airports here
>>
Of course brah, people fly planes becsuse of their deep love of aviation. You will not earn shit.
>>
>>1277393
Ask yourself how willing you are to get yelled at.
There are career airport people that post here. and I got my ass kicked for like 8 years before moving to a corporate back office job.

It sucks dealing with the public on the frontlines.
>>
>>1277393
Airline fag again. You might actually enjoy ramp work. I sure as shit did. You will have to work in all weather conditions, and It is physically demanding. But I was in the best shape of my life chucking bags in BOS. Much less stress than working with passengers. Operations is faced paced and fun. Stressfull, but fun. and at the station level you dont need a dispatch certificate. If you want to get certified for to be a dispatcher, it will cost you about 3-5K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWqC6OQY8dE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPm3wN8Knho

t. someone with 22 years of aviation experience and 12 years in the industry
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.