[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seattle Area

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: Space_Needle002.jpg (103KB, 1200x623px) Image search: [Google]
Space_Needle002.jpg
103KB, 1200x623px
I'm taking a gap year and living near Seattle (specifically Bellevue) with my parents. What is there to do in this city? I'll be working as a barista at Starbucks but when I'm not working I'd like to do something meaningful with my time.

Without going into too much detail my interests are
>music
>religion
>politics
>foreign culture and language
>secret societies
>fishing
I'm kind of a shut-in but I'd like to change that so any advice is appreciated.
>>
I live in this area as well, im a bit of an introvert, but I like to go to alki with some friends and chill on the beach with some booze and meet new people doing the same.
>>
>>1274871
>tfw only 20
Do you just walk up to a group and say what's up?
>>
Smoke weed, watch it rain, enjoy crowded streets that make no sense in directions, bang some asians, smoke more weed, drink.

There that's about it
>>
>>1274873
I'm only 19, yeah just walk up to people and chill. I've met some interesting people, smoked with a highschool teacher once there.
>>
>>1274856
>gap year
Do people really do this? Are you retarded? Maybe if you had good parents and friends you wouldn't be a piece of shit

Go to college pussy, you don't want to not make money in your mid 20s
>>
>>1274873
>my generations social skills are this fucking bad
how else do you greet someone?
>>
>>1274856
if you're a shut in and not extroverted, just a warning, it will be exceptionally hard to make actual friends. if you're extroverted it's worse because a lot of people around seattle and king county and that area are not looking for new friends, and its extra shitty for extroverts. look up the "seattle freeze". it's more regional than just seattle

good thing you're working, you'll probably be able to make friends with co-workers. only way to have friends around there is to have a job i've found

don't talk about religion or politics in seattle, people here are pussies and its too touchy a subject

seattle is the best place to be introverted though. just by your interests i'd figure you are more interesting than the average seattleite, you might have an OK time

bellevue = china and india, downtown bellevue isn't as fun as seattle though

t. grew up in king county around those areas, live in Denver atm
>>
>>1274979
>seattle is the best place to be introverted though.
>you might have an OK time
damn, well what is there to do? I figured if I get bored enough I'll play guitar on the beach or fish or something. Hopefully I can work on my social skills with the locals like that.

>>1274976
Here's how I picture that going
>hey whats up guys
>hey dude
>so... uh nice weather huh
>awkward looks
>>
>>1274856
>I'm kind of a shut-in but I'd like to change that so any advice is appreciated.
taking a "gap year" and living with mommy and daddy is only going to make that worse. get your own place and take some intro shit at a juco if you want an easy year.
>>
>>1274990
>>1274888
It's for financial reasons, I need the money you guys.
>>
>>1274888
>regrets not taking a gap year
Whats the big difference in graduating at 23 instead of 22
>>
Enjoy nature. That's the best thing about this area.

By the way, the "Seattle freeze" is bullshit. I've lived in a bunch of different places, and Seattle isn't worse than any of them in terms of friendliness. It's actually worse than a few places (the southwest). I guess it would be shocking if you're moving from a place like the midwest or south where there's a lot of fake nice going on, but in generally, people in the NW are reasonably friendly and you shouldn't have trouble making friends if you're normal. Just don't expect the overly friendly atmosphere that some other places have.

I think the only reason the stereotype exists is that we get a lot of transplants from smaller towns in the midwest and south who expect everyone to treat them like a small-town neighbor. But you don't get that most places, Seattle isn't really exceptional. It can actually be nice, since you know the friendly is more genuine than the "bless your heart" attitude you get in the south.
>>
>>1274856
Imho seattle is one of the most boring cities I've ever visited. If you have some sort of grand illusion about a city filled with arts, culture, and intellectuals, you will be jarred by the realization that seatlle is just your average 500k population city. No cool clicks, no wondrous sights, no city sounds, just a (larger than average) small town. I would suggest SF, but thats way to expensive. I guess all I can say in advice is prepare to be unimpressed. Also theres trash everywhere and the food is shit.
>>
>>1274979
>le seattle freeze maymay

I met more cool people during my weeks in Seattle (and remain friends with a few of them) than almost any city i've traveled to. The freeze is a meme spouted by hermits who couldn't make a friend anywhere.
>>
>>1275025
The fact that you could be making $60k/yr right out of college
>>
>>1275262
You value money over experience? Greed, a step on the unreightous path, not one that I follow. Tell me, given the option would you see the world, or get bogged down by work responsibilities then by a girlfriend, a wife, and kids, only having the oppurtunity to really travel if you make it to 70 and retire. Would you be happy as a geriatric old man, hobbling down resort shores with your possible diseased wife. You can't eat the steaks because you can't chew, you can't have alcohol because your doctor says that you shouldn't drink. You will never be able to travel anywhere truly exotic. You'll enjoy yourself, but those achey bones, weak, sore muscles, and weathered eyes will regret not taking the trip sooner, even if you don't. No I understand, making money is more important to you. You can have all your wealth and riches, every object you've ever accrewed, sitting by your death bed. I'm sure that would make you happy.
>>
>>1275262
>actually believing this

Kek
>>
>>1275314
Seneca is that you?
>>
I'll be there from 8/17 - 8/22. Anyone in here know of anything interesting that's gonna happen during that time?
>>
I'm considering going up that way for work, maybe in the Everett area. How's the job market up there?
>>
>>1276324
full of liberal dipshits that don't understand how economics works, Seattle is dying and I'm fucking outta here nigga
>>
>>1274979
I don't get the whole "Seattle freeze" phenomenon. The stuff I've read about it are alone the lines of "if you tell a coworker you don't have plans this weekend, they won't even invite you out with them!" Who is this stuff written for? Who moves to a city and expects other people to make sure their social needs are met?

Maybe I just don't get it because I'm from Connecticut and I've never met a friendly person before.
>>
My 2ยข worth.

I love Seattle, my family is from Seattle, I went to UW but I throw caution to those who expect it to be a magical hipster, grunge city. It's not. Everything you've romanticized about the place is probably wrong. You'll find that out really fast.

Depending in the season will determine what you do. Summer is when everything happens, aka festivals. The other basically 10.5 months are going to be dark and boring. There's nothing like getting off work in the dark at 5pm to make your day better.

There are a lot of things to do in Seattle, unfortunately you'll be living across the lake in Bellevue. I doubt you'll ever find much time to visit if you work a lot.

Food is expensive, drinking is expensive, parking is expensive. Hell it seems like everything is expensive here nowadays. Thanks Microsoft and Amazon...

People are indeed more introverted than other places. Making friends will be harder than what it should be, but it is doable.
>>
>>1276324
Basically Everett is the opioid addicted capital of the US. Unless you work for Boeing there isn't much going for you there.
>>
Sup faggots I'm visiting some family in burien in august if anyone wants to chill or smoke or explore this city
>>
>>1275026
Midwest and South?
Wtf you talking about? A large portion of them come from California seeking similar tech jobs.
>>
>>1276463
I'm from Tacoma. Lots of people who move to the area not seeking tech jobs come from those areas. That mostly includes military people and blue collar workers who come up here because the economy is in better shape than those areas. Seattle itself has a lot of Californians, but the rest of Western Washington has lots of southerners and midwesterners.
>>
>>1276384
-Most american cities
>>
>>1276384
>implying economics works
>>
>>1276503
it does
>>
>>1276451
>Thanks Microsoft and Amazon

You're welcome. Thanks for being easily replaced.
>>
>>1275262
A degree alone will not guarantee you a job out of college, even with an internship under your belt.
>>
>>1275000
get a job nignog!
>>
>>1276503
>he doesn't recognize what makes a grocery store work
>>
>>1274888
>going straight into a minimum of 8 years tertiary education and debt

yikes are there really "people" this retarded?
>>
>spending your gap year in seattle
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA
>>
>>1277434
My parents live there it's not like I have a choice
>>
File: wojak-cries.jpg (10KB, 231x250px) Image search: [Google]
wojak-cries.jpg
10KB, 231x250px
>>1277364
I will have a job while I'm there, Starbucks barista
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.