[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How travel is "sold"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: insta.jpg (122KB, 1280x835px) Image search: [Google]
insta.jpg
122KB, 1280x835px
What do you guys make of the way travelling is sold by bloggers and Instagrammers?

I appreciate that what you see is highly filtered and excludes the messy parts, however to me it's really irritating.
>>
>>1274675
I wouldn't know. I'm ridiculously old fashioned, especially considering my age. I don't use any social media,so I just have external hard drives full of travel photos and videos, I guess it feels like a shame not to share them so I might start a blog or upload them to an Instagram account or something.

I didn't realize that such institutions were being used to market traveler but I can definitely see how they could be so that makes sense to me.

I usually choose my next destination based upon if I've been to the continent and a combination of safety and affordability. After that the largest influencer and where I choose to go next and probably movies or video games to be honest, if I see something that looks cool I'm inspired to go there myself.
>>
>>1274679
This. This is how it should be.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>1274679
>video games
>>
>>1274675
I use social media to sell real estate so I have to use it. I can't imagine how people actually use shit like IG to scroll trough 1000s of pics, like and even comment on them or how the fucking fuck my real estate business pics created a fanbase of about 200 follower that are on every single new object worshipping my pics

I do my stuff in 3min/day and let a targeted bot do all the liking kek.
So I know selling stuff on Social Media works like a charm but I have no idea why people would make travel decisions based on crappy pics with 5837975 filters
>>
>>1274707
It's true. Only reason I went to LA is to see how it compared to Los Santos. Don't be a judgmental normie, this may be /trv/ but it's still 4chan.
>>
I don't really know from bloggers and instagrammers, but I feel like a lot of people in my generation (and for shit sure everyone younger) have conflated 'traveling the world' and 'being worldly' to the point that whenever someone tells me they love to travel I cringe a little. I was lucky enough to travel growing up and I always felt like part of the purpose of travel was to appreciate the places you visit AND the place you're from more, but these days it seems like people can't shut the fuck up about travel travel travel. I don't think I'm articulating this properly, but I guess I feel like it's gotten to the point where people think that doing interesting things and going to interesting places makes them interesting people and that sure ain't the fucking case.
>>
>>1274675
This OP sounds like the most marketing digger OP ever.

Only time I'll use a youtube blogger or something is only during when I have the money and narrowed down the choices and just want some additional info.
>>
>>1274675
I'm a boring person and people I grew up with are usually surprised to hear all I do is travel these days. I couldn't market my traveling, and I cringe at the videos that make it look like non stop excitement. If anything it's all about enjoying the ambience of different environment. Of course I club and get trashed, but the high light of all my visits are usually sipping cafes with smiling staff or watching a sunset while having a beer. Nothing worth showing on social media, nothing I would want to see any other way than firsthand. I hate that when I talk to people about this I might be associated with some guy like Bourdain or some travel blogger, their experiences are just the type of stuff that goes down if you stay somewhere for a week or two. If you stay longer it's a different game. Take that for what it's worth mr. viral marketer.
>>
File: fellowkids.jpg (88KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
fellowkids.jpg
88KB, 900x720px
>>1274963
OP here. Couldn't market my ass for $20.

>>1274986
>>1274961
Yes to both of these, especially the cringe. It seems more of a trend to go to Thailand, post a photo of you next to a heavily filtered photo next to a Buddha and claim to be "spiritual".

It just really grates on me and makes me die a little inside.
>>
>>1274675
I blog and instagram my travels. I obviously only post the good things and almost every trip has negative aspects, I just don't think it's "appropriate" to write about some of them. I have cousins and a good friend who usually hear about my shitty moments but for most people it's really only the good parts.

I am however thinking of changing my writing style to reflect more of a candid view of travel. The moments where I search for a public toilet in Jakarta will probably make for good writing, right?
>>
>>1275272
Sup playa
Where can I get that swag shirt?
>>
>>1275272
You know I've also met a few aspiring travel bloggers and I found them to be some shameless self promoters. A lot of times they would bash the country they were visiting in private, and eavesdrop on conversations to pick up little gems someone else might offer and try to pawn them off as their own. I hate to think someone would waste their life in countries they hate trying to sneak off and eat a mcdonalds burger when possible, only to play a completely different role on camera. Unfortunately, I've run into it pretty often. I've know a few guys that will just outright say they hate the country but they just have to play the game. Its fucking weird.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.