/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Presents for hosts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: regifter.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
regifter.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
Hey /trv/, what do you bring along when you're going to visit?

Whether you're sleeping on someone's couch, spare bedroom, maybe living in the attic for months, anything in-between - do you bring a present?

What's good to bring, and what's bad? How much does it depend on the culture you're visiting?

What are some spectacular failures you've experienced in gift giving?

To maybe kickstart the thread: I'm moving for some unknown period of time to live with a friend in Finland in exchange for helping fix up his house, so gift ideas specific for Finland would be handy.

As for past experiences - in Zimbabwe I brought a bag of oranges only to discover that my hosts had an orange tree (not great) - but I watched them painfully decapitate a live chicken for about ten minutes to make me soup using the world's dullest knife, so next time, I brought a new kitchen knife, which they loved.
>>
For a first world country, the presents can't really be based on need, since they will have acquired what they really need. Something local to your home is always nice. Food or drinks or chocolate or whatever from your country. Doesn't have to be food of course. Just be aware of possible customs restrictions on foodstuff.
>>
>>1273479

when i visited a friend in Japan i was advised not to bring anything large / permanent, specifically because they're short on space. food was one of the suggestions (i brought a local huckleberry pancake mix thing that came with instructions, and they seemed happy ... although it's hard to tell in Japan because they'd be perfectly polite if you brought them a sack of dogshit.)

i've heard spicy stuff (e.g. hotsauce, chili powder) is relatively hard to come by in Finland. anyone confirm?
>>
>>1273483

you ever find out what's a good gift to someone in the japan?

visiting a friend soon and want to bring something from the states
>>
>>1273476
I used to hitchhike a lot, and for one very long trip I wanted to have something to give to the drivers. I decided on postcards. My good friend is an artist so she designed me very cool, funny postcards. The drivers loved it.
>>
I usually bring a six pack of local beer and/or local chocolate. When I have couchsurfers at my place, my most favourite present is a bottle of alcohol from the surfer's country or a six pack of their beer.

So just stick with beer or wine and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1273483
Where did you hear the spicy thing from? It's the exact opposite. It's become very popular in Finland and stores have shelves with tens of varieties of hot sauces. Now that being said, it's not a bad gift idea, but make sure it's something local for you and not exported. So no tabasco or anything.
>>
>>1273764

as i said, my attempt was to bring a local recipe, prepacked ingredients in a little sealed container i found at a street market. it fit the rule of being consumable and not something that would take up space in a small residence, and they appeared grateful.

>>1273816
two sources, an American who was trying to make stuff like chili and tacos for his Finnish friends and complained ingredients were hard to find, and an annoying woman i was stuck next to at a festival thing who said she imported hot dried chili peppers to her friends in Finland.

maybe they're dumb, maybe the information was valid a few years ago but not now, maybe it depends on what city you're in. anyway thanks for the updated info
>>
I also bring some alcohol that I know is good but is not exported a lot. So something special.
Even if they don't drink alcohol, they can easily pass it on then.
>>
Sucking a guys dick always shows them how much you appreciated them.
>>
Bringing something relating to your own background is always a good idea.

In my experience the gaudier and the more stereotypical the better.

Don't bother with any obscure stuff, chances are they won't be able to understand the gesture behind it.

Think of the things your country/place of origin is known for internationally(not necessarily locally, chances are people abroad are not aware of this thing from your city of birth Y in flyover state X) and head straight for a present connected to these things. Though, if consider something more local or obscure, then it should really be something special.

For example, I like to gift German beer mugs(sometimes with beer included).

Those with engraved tin caps and little paintings on them. Not really useful, but always nice to look at, relating to my own culture and there always is a place for them on some kitchen shelf.

But yeah alcohol and sweets are great if they are somewhat unique and not that available where you are heading to. Think of maple syrup based liquor from Canada, Belgian chocolate, canelé from France, whatever
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.