[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions as a first time traveler: Specifically Greece: Will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: grece2.jpg (200KB, 1272x874px) Image search: [Google]
grece2.jpg
200KB, 1272x874px
Questions as a first time traveler:
Specifically Greece:
Will places accept my American credit card? Would it even work if I went abroad?
Is renting a car a good idea? Sounds to me more efficient and not even much more expensive than buses.
Will the airport in Athens likely have a SIM local card for me to get service out there temporarily?
>>
>Will places accept my American credit card?
Most won't. Some hotels will accept it but don't count on being able to pay with your meme card in a restaurant or something. Cash is king, just use an ATM and withdraw enough Eurodollars.
>>
>>1273071
Definitely get a bunch of Euros prior to your trip. The atm fees and exchange rates while abroad will kill you. A lot of places are cash only and those that aren't tack on a fee.
If you're visiting a more metropolitan area in Greece, you definitely don't need a rental car, but if you plan on visiting a lot of rural Greece and don't want to rely on buses and trains, do get a rental car.
I haven't been to the Athens airport, as I used a train to get there, but try to plan that they won't have one. Talk to your phone company about that. They probably get that question a lot and will have a lot more in depth information.
>>
Due to the economic situation, Greece is a good option to travel to right now. Things are cheaper there than the rest of Europe.

However, be prepared to see some streets with trash in them because the government can't afford proper trash pick-up these days. If you can be openminded enough to see past that, it's a nice place. Very affordable.

I had no problem with places accepting my credit card as long as it's a reputable name like Visa or American Express.

I wouldn't rent a car. People drive like they're fucking nuts over there. There's a possibility that you'll get into an accident and it will cost you a lot of money. Public transport is adequate and cheaper.

I also had no problem using my cell phone, it was "roaming" however and the cost per-minute was higher, so use your cell phone sparingly or else you'll end up with a $$$$$ bill when you get home.

Also, if you have a smart phone, turn off ALL OF YOUR automatically updated apps. The data charges will fucking kill you and cost you tons of money when you get home.

As far as your phone goes, I recommend that you keep it OFF until you're ready to use it. If you need to call or make a text, just turn it on and turn if off again when you're done.

The food is excellent there.
>>
thanks for the advice. Roughly how many euros should I aim for getting if I'm going for about 16 days?
>>
>>1273446
Trash isn't picked up in the streets here in the US in 90% of the country unless people do it themselves so that's not really a knock.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.