[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travel Bags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

File: WWWWW.jpg (29KB, 416x500px) Image search: [Google]
WWWWW.jpg
29KB, 416x500px
Am I a fucking idiot for wanting this Osprey Farpoint 55 bag so hard?

Not gonna lie, pretty well fell in love with it when some travel vloggers (vagabrothers) flicked their beans to it. If those cunts got paid then fairo, they sold it to me.

I'm wanting to buy it for a 27 day trip to Europe in October. I'll squiz around London, Denmark, through a few german cities, maybe Prague, then a fucken $$$$ week in Switzerland before running back to London for the flight home. I'm doing it mostly on my own, so i figured the backpack would be most convenient. The daypack is sick, the full openeing shit is dope, heaps of space? Only problem is it won't carry on for ryanair which only bones me 1 time. (da best time)

So if I am a cunt for wanting it, what would you suggest?
>>
Travel backpacks are way more expensive than conventional backpacks.

That being said, if you're planning on spending that kind of cash on a backpack, you might as well get the one that's heavily favored by travelers.

If I had to suggest anything else, then I guess it would be a PacSafe or a Tortuga.

Short answer: Do it, faggot.
>>
>>1271667
Tortuga instead
>>
>>1271676
>>1271672
Cheers lads,
What's the Tortuga got going for it?

https://www.tortugabackpacks.com/products/outbreaker-travel-backpack

Is this the bag?
>>
>>1271667
> won't carry on for Ryanair

I'm 100% in favour of choosing a bag you can carry on. As someone who travels internationally several times a year the savings in ticket prices are great if you only take hand luggage but much more important is being able to get in and out of the airport with the minimum of queuing, stress and dicking around.

That said, a bag which includes a day bag is also great. I usually pack some of my clothes in a small day pack and shove that inside my ancient but trusty Skyway backpack.
>>
Totally worth it man. Got this last year when I traveled Europe for 3 months. The full opening made it really convenient for me. The daypack is a great bonus, and I used the straps to attach my sleeping bag and tent too.

Wish the day pack could be *slightly* bigger, but overall it's an excellent bag. Go for it.
>>
>>1271667
go osprey farpoint 40, its the max carry-on for airlines and its small enough to not look out of place in cities but big enough to take backpacking. daypacks are a meme
>>
>>1271667

I have the Farpoint one size larger than that. It's a sturdy as fuck bag, I just hate how it shapes like a turtle as you fill it up. The full frontal opening is nice. I didn't use the daypack nearly as often as I thought I would.

If I could go back, I'd pick a smaller backpack that forces me to pack minimally. If a daypack is a necessity, I just use a Nike rucksack that compresses really well.
>>
>>1271680
Tortuga is specifically designed for general purpose traveling. Most if not all of its features are designed with traveling in mind; its dimensions fit most carryon limits, it opens just like a suitcase, etc.

Most of Osprey's products are designed for outdoors (ie. camping, hiking, mountaineering, etc.). They're still good for traveling because of their durability, and because sometimes traveling does go hand-in-hand with outdoor activities.
>>
I figure this is the travel packing thread, so I might ask a question. Has anyone actually got the Tortuga to comment on its efficacy as a longhaul travel bag? I'm heading to Europe at the end of the year, for a few months of wandering and then a year's staying somewhere (pack off). I doubt I'll be spending much or any time hiking, probably likely just moving between cities. Deciding whether the Tortuga is good for that. Have heard:
>That the straps are overpadded/heating is an issue, but I'm going in Winter so likely not an issue.
It's either this or the Osprey Porter 46. I'll be taking all my laptops, peripherals etc (I work remotely) so ideally something that keeps that stuff safe too.
>>
>>1271667
I have this exact bag, it's great.

There's a metal frame inside so all of the weight is distributed to your hips, and you can tighten the straps around your waist so there's hardly any weight on your back or shoulders. Super comfy. Holds a lot of shit. It's also carryon size for real airlines, and a ticket for a checked bag on a budget airline is only a litttle more expensive so who cares. The detachable daypack is excellent, that's the main reason I chose it.
>>
>>1272093
Wear did you take it my bloke?
Also can you bend it at all to make it shorter?

>>1271957
The laptop position bugs me, just seems hard to get into. :(
>>
If you want my opinion, I have the older tortuga 44L. And I wish I bought the osprey farpoint 40.

Tortuga is best if you plan to carry a laptop with you (aka you're digital nomad TM) but if not go with the farpoint.
Get a packable day pack and throw in in and rest assured you have 15L more.

Just my two cents.
>>
any recs for a poorfag?
>>
>>1272304

Osprey Porter 46 can be found for <$100 from Amazon, works well for both carry-on and backpacking, is tough, and has a lifetime warranty, so no point going any more poorfag than that IMHO.
>>
>>1272255
I took it through all of western europe for seven weeks and it held up great. It could definitely withstand much rougher use than what I put it through, the fabric is pretty heavy duty and won't fray.

It will squish a little bit from front to back, but not up/down or side to side because of the metal frame inside. If you're worried about carry on size, you can also detach the daypack and have that be your "personal item" and maybe the main backpack will be small enough to carryon.

There are also some little clips you can use to fasten stuff to the outside, I used them to hang my flip flops and jacket. That's also a good deterrent to pickpockets since access to the pack is blocked
>>
>>1271680
Haha mate that looks fucking terrible, like you're wearing a large childs backpack.
>>
>>1271667
I've been using the Farpoint 40 for 6 months now. Does everything you need a bag to do - carry your shit.
>>
I have a farpoint 50 and love it personally
>>
>>1271785
>>1272821
this

Except daypacks aren't a meme. Buy a cheap lightweight daypack that you can shove in your proper pack if you need to
>>
>>1272815
Yeah desu, i wasn't about it.
>>
File: 151323_1_1 (1).jpg (35KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
151323_1_1 (1).jpg
35KB, 500x500px
Hey OP, I started a RTW trip with this. It was a pretty great bag, but after about a month I ended up switching it to the Waypoint 65, which was WAY better. I've been traveling for two years now and am still using it, haven't looked back. For short trips it's probably overkill, but long-term trips through multiple climates/etc there's nothing better.

Benefits over the Farpoint 55:

> Legit suspension system. It's as comfortable as hiking packs for carrying loads for long times.

>Ventilation in the back. This was a big deal in SEA and other humid spots.

>Semi-rigid sides. So if you open it up, it doesn't collapse on itself. Makes it much nicer just to open and take stuff out as you need it.

>Way more organization within the main pack. The farpoint 55 is just one big thing.

>Larger daypack that has much more space overall (the farpoint 55 one is tiny and useless), and has an opening such that no one can open up the thing when it's on your back. Useful for high crime areas.

Only problem is that it's not being made any longer (only a larger version), so it's not easy to find. But if you can find it, get it!

>>1272984
Problem with those foldable daypacks is that they don't have any rigid structure at all. I find that incredibly annoying to use, but I guess it's up to the person.
>>
>>1273037
Oh, and for the waypoint 65 - I could carry it on as a regular carryon in the US and SEA. Might not work in Europe though.
>>
>>1273040
That is only because you slipped through or people were nice.
Not a compliant size
>>
>>1273040

Most US airlines tend to not care unless it looks like the overhead bins are going to fill up, and even then they'll usually gate-check for free. European airlines have a bit more of a 'fuck you that's the rules' vibe.

My last domestic flight had this guy carrying on both an obviously too big roller and one of those TLS weekenders with a tennis racket handle sticking a foot out the top. Since they both had to go in sideways, he ended up taking up a whole overhead bin. Nobody said a peep.
>>
>>1271667

I bought one of these. They're kind of cool, but not great if you're doing an extended trip. There's not many pockets, and you can't really stuff it full of shit if need be.

I have one backpack that is fucking amazing for long travel. It's a Bamfield backpack that I bought at Canadian Tire. I can't find it online though. I've stuffed so much shit in there. I did the Camino with it, and I've also taken it on long-distance travels where I ended up buying a shitton of souvenirs, or bulky souvenirs. Coming back from China, I had 20 kg of stuff packed into it, including an entire violin in a case (with a bunch of other stuff, like camera and gear, ton of clothes, tripod, a ton of other shit I could use to fill up the size and weight to 20 kilos.

As I said, I can't find it, but I think this one is the closest equivalent:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/outbound-expedition-backpack-75-l-0761894p.html
>>
>>1273136
What about Singapore Airlines? I've got an I worry 55.
>>
>>1273255
>Osprey 55

Fucking autocorrect.
>>
>>1273255
Singaporeans are notorious for being sticklers, so you actually might have some trouble there.

I would suggest a smaller bag, or compressing the shit out of your current bag with straps and whatnot.

Singapore Airlines carry-on limits:
>sum of length, width, and height must not exceed 115cm

Osprey Farpoint 55 dimensions:
>65cm long
>32cm wide
>32cm deep
>65 + 32 + 32 = 129cm

Sources:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us/travel-info/baggage/cabin-baggage/
https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/eu_en/farpoint-55-14
>>
>>1273136
>European airlines have a bit more of a 'fuck you that's the rules' vibe.
Is that European airlines in general, or just the really cheap ones?

I know that Ryanair is especially picky about this kind of stuff, but I don't know anything about non-budget European airlines.
>>
>>1273260
I thought about saving space by not packing as much socks and underwear and other things I'd need overseas it could easily buy there. I figured the 55 would be good once I'm on the ground.
>>
>>1273264
It's generally a good idea to have as much space in your bag as possible, because you never know what you might use it for in your destination.

What you're thinking of doing is actually a very good idea. I've done it myself. On my last trip, I didn't pack any toiletries; by doing so, I not only saved space in my bag, I also didn't have to deal with the hassle of packing liquids. My hotel provided toothbrushes, soaps, and shampoos, and I bought the cheapest tube of toothpaste I could find at the grocery store.

I only packed 3 days' worth of clothes, and took them to a laundromat when I ran out of something clean to wear. On the penultimate day of my trip, I bought one set of clothes for the next day because I couldn't be arsed to take all of my clothes to the laundromat again.
>>
>>1273266
>It's generally a good idea to have as much space in your bag as possible, because you never know what you might use it for in your destination.
I genuinely have no idea what you people are carrying who need more than 45L
>>
>>1273266
Eyy, I dig your minimal style there. But i'll be slamming through hostels. The only free shit i'll get is if i become the cat burgler and steal other cunts toiletries. (Can't be doing that).

>>1273263
I also want an answer to this.

From my super small internet search on flights between england and Denmark (visiting a pal so it has to happen). I found that ryanair cheap tickets just don't include checking and stuff. Then the big boy airlines just actually include checked luggage in their ticket price.

Can anyone shine a light on this bullshit for us?
>>
>>1274509
And then when you do add luggage to the ryanair ticket... It works out about the same.
>>
>>1274509
Obviously you might wanna check with your hostel first, but many of them do provide free toiletries up to a certain point (such as liquid soap dispensers installed directly to the bathroom walls).

>>1274509
>>1274510
Budget airlines are cheap because they're no-frills. So yeah, like in your example, luggage checking is one of them. But they really do skimp on other things, like meals, snacks, drinks/beverages, blankets, headphones, pillows, etc. Every little goddamn thing. The less of these you need, the more you save. A 'real' airline includes these as a standard. You pay for 'em whether you need 'em or not.
>>
I'm about to pick up the Farpoint 55, but noticed it comes in two sizes...

S/M and M/L.

The only difference appears to be the height (M/L being 3 inches taller).

I'm a tall guy, but also don't like oversized bags. Should I get the smaller one or is there something I'm not considering here?

(I have to import it to my country, so can't try them on at a store)
>>
>>1275798
You're right, the difference is in the height.

S/M Ospreys are typically designed for women and I guess manlets. If you were to get an S/M, it would look funny on you, even uncomfortable, as the weight distribution would feel a bit off (those sternum straps & waist straps; they would sit awkwardly).

You should definitely get an M/L, especially if your height really is above-average.
>>
File: redwing_50_reserve_pack_2.jpg (165KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
redwing_50_reserve_pack_2.jpg
165KB, 960x960px
Last year when I set off for my longest trip ever I bought myself a birthday present (30 years old), a backpack that I know will last me a long time. It's the Kelty Redwing 50 Reserve. Read up on it if you want the details or look at a youtube video.

So far so good, I love it. I think it's just the perfect backpack for traveling in warm and hot countries. I can fit everything I need in it + a medium sized day pack (where I mostly just keep electronics). A smaller backpack fits my travel style better, I don't buy anything when I travel and even if I wanted to I don't have room to take it. I'm a minimalist in a way, take a certain number of everything for every trip, enough clothes to last me a week, clothes for going out, a few clothes that can fit for multiple purposes. It would be a bit too small for cold climates as I probably wouldn't be able to fit thick jackets and sweaters.
>>
>>1271667
>small round too many bloody straps
Just get the Tortuga instead.
>>
File: UPDATED.jpg (1MB, 1525x1473px) Image search: [Google]
UPDATED.jpg
1MB, 1525x1473px
Finally decided where the fuck i'm going.
The only 'ryan air' pleasing moment is the flight from London to Denmark.

But i'd figured i'd like to do this again i'd wish i bought the right bag on the first go. It's gotta be carry on, i feel that's cut fucken osprey 55 the big cunt out too.
>>
File: BAGCUNT.jpg (185KB, 707x935px) Image search: [Google]
BAGCUNT.jpg
185KB, 707x935px
>>1277185
Feeling this bag now!
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/travel/packs-and-bags/packs/transfer-carry-on.html

38L

Ryanair limits: 55cm x 40cm x 20cm

This Litehaul Carry-On specs: L 56cm x W 32cm x D 28.5cm

I'm assuming I can squash it down. You can buy a 'clip on' able daypack for like 70 bucks but I reckon i might squiz at a squashable daysack. Idk
>>
>>1271667
>27 day trip to Europe in October. I'll squiz around London, Denmark, through a few german cities, maybe Prague, then a fucken $$$$ week in Switzerland before running back to London for the flight home.
Sounds like city travel...
I prefer a 4 wheeled carryon, and a small daypack or crossbody in case that thing has to get checked. I don't get why people who aren't camping or walking city to city are using backpacks and putting all that weight on their feet, neck and back. It's so tiring. You can plop your backpack on top of your carry-on bag and push that thing with a pinky finger. It's locks nicely when you aren't in your room. I do NOT enjoy walking around a city with all my damn belongings on me. Some kind of bondage here to travel this light, worry about toiletries, etc. Are you sleeping in the wild? Hitch hiking? walking country roads versus public transport? Not taking trains?

Get a nice briggs rollaboard, or samsonite or something, and a nice crossbody to sling under your jacket. Want to not look like a tourist? Then, don't wear a backpack in a city and not be a college student on his way to class.
>>
>>1275905
a lot of Tortuga shills on /trv/... There is something about the appearance of the Tortuga that turns me off... For the price of the tortuga the AER looks better to me... and the Osprey is a tried and true travel bag with a better pricetag
>>
>>1277198
>56 to 55
Easy enough.

>28.5 to 20
Might be a little harder to do. As long as the bag isn't too full, and the contents aren't too rigid.
>>
>>1271667
anything less than 85 L is pussy shit so yes you are a total fag
>>
>>1277298
Not everybody is taking 5-year trips to Sri Lanka, you know.
>>
>not having a servant carry you steamer trunks
shiggidity diggity doo
>>
>>1273266
look at Mr. rich man with his hotels and laundromats
>>
>>1277673
You do understand that there are budget equivalents of those very things, yes?
>>
>>1277198
why don't you get a Farpoint 40?
>>
There doesn't seem to be a single decent hidden thigh/garter wallet on the entire fucking Internet.
>>
Thinking of getting either the 45L or 35L Tortuga.

I'm inclined to get the 45L but I suspect the 35L would probably been fine as I'm used to minimalist packing to fit carry-on limits. That said, I'm doing some more Winter travelling now and could use the extra space.

Also, I'm only 5'7" and a size 28 waist. Will the 45L look ridiculous on me?

What do you guys think? 45 or 35?
>>
>>1277853
It's a tortuga, it'll look ridiculous on anyone
>>
For all the Osprey & Tortuga shilling that goes on, is there anyone who would recommend Pacsafe? It's yet another overpriced travel brand, for what it's worth.
>>
>>1277673
Well I'm reading this thread and remembering the best bag I ever used. A shitty nylon duffel bag from a flea market in Korea. They had cut out one of the ends to add wheels, and also added straps so I could throw it over my back. To anyone going to a place with paved roads, as well as running through airports and bus stations, those wheels were fucking amazing. It's take a massive load off of you when you don't have to take off your bag in a crowded bus or airplane.

Anyone know of any nice backpacks with wheels attached? If not, then I hope they make some soon.
>>
File: cabinmax.jpg (13KB, 232x320px) Image search: [Google]
cabinmax.jpg
13KB, 232x320px
Its not cool like the osprey or tortuga... and it has a pretty bad logo on it. but the price is right and has mostly everything you need in a good travel bag.. has anyone tried this?
>>
>>1278201
Cabin max, i guess I should tell you what it is

>>1278194
I think this company does. I cannot vouche for quality though. i have no idea
>>
>>1278201
If it had hip & sternum straps, I would probably buy it in a heartbeat.
>>
>>1278201
>>1278202
>>1278210
a suitcase with straps is not a backpack
>>
>>1278215
I don't care.
>>
>>1278215
what do you want then?
>fits maximum carry on
>boxy clam shell opener, for efficient packing, unlike the osprey
>doesn't look as stupid as the tortuga
>doesn't cost a meme price tag
>>
>>1278202
getting kind of a weird Chinese ripoff vibe from this website

anyone used it?

worried I'd get something that falls apart under heavy use
>>
>>1278305
at that price, you're probably getting what you pay for
>>
File: PaceCountBeads.jpg (90KB, 700x480px) Image search: [Google]
PaceCountBeads.jpg
90KB, 700x480px
>>1275871
that is too big and what the fuck is that bug human model they used?

Senpai, take less stuff and pack more efficiently. Nothing feels better than having a slim, light backpack and rolling into town feeling like an average person not an obnoxious backpacker.
>>
I'm seriously considering getting a pacsafe venturesafe.

Lots of positive comments but some negative comments that are saying the overall worksmanship apart from the security feautres doesn't correspond to the high price.

Has anyone been using this bag or one from the same brand for some time?
>>
File: Tom-Bihn-Synapse-header.jpg (211KB, 980x470px) Image search: [Google]
Tom-Bihn-Synapse-header.jpg
211KB, 980x470px
I've been eyeballing this tom bihn synapse but fuck 200 bucks for a bag hurts my feelings. Is it worth it 4chan or is it a meme?
>>
goruck or bust folks. I meme this on here every chance I get but it's the perfect bag honestly. Been around the world numerous times and just tough and simple.

Doesn't look out of place, walk onto any flight even with it weighing a shitload and never get asked. Blend in with your surroundings don't look like a traveller.
>>
>>1278974
>blend in
Can we stop this meme please? If you wear backpack, that is, a pack on your fucking back, you're not blending in anywhere.

Locals don't wear backpacks, regardless of size.
>>
>>1278974
I mean, they look fine I guess. But you could pay half as much for something just as good
>>
>>1279213
>Locals don't wear backpacks
Students
People who ride bikes to work
Blue-collar workers
>>
>>1278201
Tbh that's pretty fucking amazing. I had such a hard time finding something fitting that niche market that wasn't expensive as fuck. What we need is someone to beat the fuck out of it to see if it breaks.
>>
>>1278201
Seems like the kinda bag that'll suck your best friends cock while you're having a shower. Cheapaaazzzz
>>
>>1279255
You don't blend in, sorry mate.
>>
>>1279213
My train is filled every morning with people with backpacks on.

What backpack free society do you live in?
>>
>>1279342
Great, you fit in on public transport (arguable). Best make your next bag purchase based on your ability to look like a mindless drone on a train.
>>
>>1279339
Thank you for your well-articulated response, I quite appreciate your use of evidence to do all the convincing.
>>
>>1279306
my kinda bag
>>
>>1278831
looks like a school backpack
>>
>>1278201
looool I'm not a homosexual so no. Probably suits you though.
>>
>>1279423
>>1279777
Back to /fa/ you faggots.
>>
>>1279842
Says the anon trying desperately to fit in and look like a local? Interesting logic you have there mate.
>>
I bought the tad azimuth backpack (the black one), is definitely the lightes backpack I ever carried, very multifunctional and waterproof. I have no regrets.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.