[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best museum you have ever visited?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: img.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
img.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
And why? It's hard to choose because I have visited many museums, but my choice is MNAC (Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya) because there I discovered many good artists that I had never heard of, such as Joaquim Mir and Torné Esquius.

Also, recommend me some obscure museums, thanks.
>>
>>1271541
Museo del Oro: Incredible amount of gold

Casa Nacional de la Moneda: imagine you are in that dirt poor bolivian town and then you enter the site where the first modern industrial production of coins began. incredible. everything is still original and the guides really explained the history nicely.

i enjoyed most of the art museums in south america's capital cities. buenos aires and sao paulo generally have the best museums.
>>
>>1271542
Where do you live? And what about european museums?
>>
I know that the Louvre is the meme answer but what's great about it is the fact that it actually is a mixed Museum from ancient Egyptian artifacts to Greek scuptures to Italian paintings.
>>
>>1271544
You can say the same about Kunsthistorisches.
>>
>>1271541
I haven't been anywhere but the cloisters in NYC was a pretty unique atmosphere for a museum and I like European stuff so it was right up my alley
>>
>>1271545
Bless you
>>
>>1271541
The art history museum in Vienna is the best in the world, for the quality of the art and the magnificence of the building itself.
But the Met and Tate Britain are also pretty sweet
>>
Galerie Goap in Prague. The work of Alfons Mucha is my favorite. He made these advertisement fliers which where ahead of his time. Really cool design and it is still fresh in memory even 6 years later
>>
Sand Museum in Dabuleni, Romania.

Generally I'm not a fan of museums desu but this one was obscure enough to tickle my autism.
>>
>>1271563
What did you most like on Kunsthistorisches?Favorite paintings and all that.
>>
Tate Britain's Turner collection blew me out of the water. Visit it, anons. It's free, too.
>>
The Anthropology Museum in Mexico City is great tbqh, but you need at the very least two days to visit it fully

It's also got a pretty good restaurant inside of it, the gift shop is fucking expensive, though, not worth it
>>
I loved the Studio Ghibli Museum in Tokyo. It's designed with wandering in mind, there's lots of hidden details in corners and crevices, and there isn't one fixed way to tour the exhibits. So I think it benefits from being a physical space, moreso than some museums.

Not really a museum but the Barbican in London is great. It's a similarly esoteric and labyrinthine building. They host small exhibitions, but getting lost in the larger building itself is fun. I went to the Japanese House since 1945 exhibition which was great. The center of the exhibition is a reconstruction of a house that's featured in a documentary on the edge of the ground floor, while the top floor goes into detail on specific subjects. So, as a visitor you're piped through the top floor, doing a lap and learning about specific parts of the history and materials, etc., then you descend to the ground floor and realise you're actually surrounded by what you've been reading about. It's a nice mix of detached, academic, and tangible space. Again, something that benefits from being a physical space.

I work near the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford and that's always fun for a visit. But I think it's better to just dip into. It's pretty dense and covers lots of areas of art history and anthropology. So I like being able to visit for an hour or less on a lunch break.

The Tokyo Museum of Modern Art is good. Same with the Paris one.
>>
The War Memorial in Seoul was pretty damn good.
>>
>>1271544
never been to an art museum that didn't have a variety of things like that unless it was a specific museum i.e. the van gogh museum
>>
for quirky in nyc try city reliquary museum in brooklyn and in london john sloane museum. best of all is haw par villa in singapore which is more of a park than museum but google it and you will see what i mean.
>>
>>1271609
I second Ashmoleum. It's a wonderful place to go when you're just passing time. I was in Oxford and had not much to do before a late train, so I just went there and chilled. Very nice that there's no security/tickets etc so you can just walk in and out at your leisure.
>>
File: 1336182594610.png (9KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
1336182594610.png
9KB, 493x402px
>>1271566
>Most often visited by scientists who want to study the phenomenon, the museum has no entry fee and covers over 3,000 hectares of sand.
http://simplifytravel.ro/en/traveler-trough-romanias-unique-museums/
>>
Dali museo in Figueres, Spain
>>
If you're in London for over a month and have time to kill: The British Museum.

Trying to cram in all of it in a day is a total mistake will just leave you fatigued and annoyed. Stopping in to check out one or two specific things or just wander about for 30 minutes is the way to go.

I also think that both the Weald & Download museum and the Blists Hill museum are fun but I probably wouldn't recommend travelling all the way out to them unless you're really into that sort of thing and know you'll enjoy it.
>>
File: Musée de la Préhistoire.jpg (322KB, 1600x1172px) Image search: [Google]
Musée de la Préhistoire.jpg
322KB, 1600x1172px
The Louvre for me, I don't give a fuck if it's cliché, there's a reason this place is know worldwide. It's absolutely huge, you can find pretty much everything that can be called "art" in the broad sense of the word, and the building itself is gorgeous.
Also it isn't expensive, and I recommend going during winter, there will be absolutely no waiting to do unlike the crowded summer days
Also for some reason I can't explain it seems many people (well, several Americans I talked with) are convinced it's only a paintings, "regular" art museum when it actually hosts thousands of ancient artifacts as well. The Hammurabi Code left a lasting impression on me
Otherwise on a much smaller scale I really enjoyed the "Musée national de la Préhistoire", a museum dedicated to Prehistory in the Eyzies, in south-west France, a place that's riddled with caves bearing traces of ancient humans. I wasn't expecting anything but it was very interesting and very thorough, with a peculiar building as well, pic related. It takes only 2-3 hours to visit properly but you'll learn a lot

Otherwise this as well >>1271742
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.