[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solo travelling being an introverted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: FR3-Picture-091-300x225.jpg (22KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
FR3-Picture-091-300x225.jpg
22KB, 300x225px
Do you think it is enjoyable travelling by yourself if you're an introverted?

I read all this stuff about hanging out in the hostel, meeting people and so on. But I honestly don't like doing that. I mean I'm pretty normie after all, I just get bored in those situations and I'd rather keep it to myself.

If I ever do it I most probably will book a single room in a hotel, even if it's more expensive.

Stupid idea?
>>
>>1271335
Yes. I love traveling by myself. I have for many years.

No. You may get a different opinion about this from a Real Traveler®. We are not going on your vacation or your trip. I will not be putting on your shoes or your boots or getting on your plane in your place. I would say that only you can figure this out and the only way to figure this out is to probably plan a trip that includes time in a hostel and time in a hotel to see for yourself.
>>
>>1271335
I get very anxious and annoyed when i travel alone, this might be different for you. Wherever you go, it's always nice to ineract with the locals, or with fellow travelers, hostels are a great starting point for this.

I had to travel alone for my company a few times, and there is nothing i hate more than being alone in a hotel room abroad, but again, you might have different experience. Just go on a short solo trip, can be even somewhere nearby.
>>
>>1271335
>Do you think it is enjoyable travelling by yourself if you're an introverted?
This doesn't make sense. Being introvert means that that's precisely the way you would like to travel.
>>
>>1271335
Travelling alone is best, you don't have to interact with locals if you don't want to but can at your leisure.

Hostels are absolute fucking garbage couldn't fathom ever staying in one, when I've met friends before going out at one I feel dirty just being in the place.

Oh wow anon this room is so nice your own shower toilet tv and minibar. But your really not getting the true travel experience of a hostel!

For those who can't afford anything but and want to travel fair enough. For those that can do yourself a favour and rent a hotel room. Want a nice night in with netflix with no one snoring above you in a bunk while people come in drunk at 4am? No issue.
>>
>>1271335
I've done it. I'd get a job in a city I've always wanted to go to save up and move every 3 months. I've been to Paris but mostly west coast
>>
>>1271335
Going on my first solo trip tomorrow - to Paris. Staying at a nice hotel by myself and don't intend to make friends. Will talk with some French people because improving my French skills is one of the reasons I'm going. But I am an introvert and will avoid making random conversations.

So I am much like you, OP. This evening I am scared and nervous, but somewhat excited. I will try to report back in this thread with results when it's over.
>>
>>1271335
>If I ever do it I most probably will book a single room in a hotel, even if it's more expensive.
>Stupid idea?
Dude, Ive traveled all over the world, and I have never stayed in a hostel once. They are a good way to pick up foot fungus and be robbed of your belongings, or worse. They can be economical, but thrifty isn't the only way to be a traveler.

Will you enjoy yourself as an introvert? Do you enjoy yourself at home? Of course you do. Be yourself. Slap on the headphones, walk around museums and ignore the world if you want to do that. Be sure to have some organization, research completed and a way to immerse in things that matter to you, from architecture, music to art. If you like cultural foods, go to every single place you want, and sit at the bar or go at off hours, not peak, so you can enjoy an alone table, or buy someone at the bar a dinner, and watch them talk to you.

I equally enjoy traveling alone or with others. I'm not an extrovert or introvert, I just like to do what I want when I want. There's a lot of freedom alone.
>>
>>1271410
>I equally enjoy traveling alone or with others. I'm not an extrovert or introvert, I just like to do what I want when I want
I like this. Thank you.
>>
>>1271335
It is the most enjoyable thing I've ever done.
>>
>>1271335
My friend, people stay in hostels as a way of saving money because only absolute idiots are stupid enough to fall for the Hotel jew. You meet people on tour groups, walking tours, tinder, hostel bars but not in your dormitory.
>>
> Do you think it is enjoyable travelling by yourself if you're an introverted?
of course, some people says that solo travelling is even more interesting, because you have absolute autonomy on what you can do during the day. But things can get a bit lonely sometimes, especially during the meals or at night.

> I read all this stuff about hanging out in the hostel, meeting people and so on. But I honestly don't like doing that.
If you don' like the idea, then don't do it

> If I ever do it I most probably will book a single room in a hotel, even if it's more expensive. Stupid idea?
Not at all. consider you can even rent a single room in some hostels, it still costs less than renting a single room in a hotel and if by any chance you want to socialize a bit, you can go to the common hall and have some small talk, something that is more difficult in a regular hotel

>>1271410
> They are a good way to pick up foot fungus and be robbed of your belongings, or worse

I've stayed in like 20 hostels in my life, and I never ggot sick, nor someone tried to rob me. You said you have never been to a hostel before, so realize you're just talking with silly stereotypes, just like those people that refuse to travel to south america because they fear they will be kidnapped and beheaded by some Cartel.
>>
>>1271449
> You meet people on tour groups, walking tours, tinder, hostel bars but not in your dormitory.

this also. It's not mandatory to have parties every night or meet new people when you're staying in a hostel, usually in dormitory people just stay quiet or they just talk with their friends.
>>
>>1271335
Of course it is enjoyable you dingus.

If you are an introvert, you enjoy being alone most of the time. Which is the easiest thing when traveling.
>>
OP here. Thanks for the replies anons, you've encouraged me.
>>
I travelled three weeks on my own in Japan. Before I went I was concerned about the same as you, but it didn't turn out to be an issue at all. There's a small sense of isolation to be sure, but as long as you are comfortable in your own company it won't put a damper on your experience. At least that's how it went for me. In any case, even if it turns out traveling solo isn't perfect for you, don't let your anxiety rob you of new experiences!
>>
>>1271585
Oh and by the way, I also stayed in single hotel rooms. Didn't spend a lot of time in them, but I never felt lonely - just really relaxed and comfortable!
>>
I'm introverted and love travling alone
The main thing is enjoying your own company and caring less about what people think
Just like going to the pub alone, you either meet someone and it will be fun or you'll just have a nice night of drinking alone
You win either way
>>
>>1271335
I'm not sure I'd call myself an introvert, but I've taken two solo trips now (7-10days) by myself and loved them. It's a nice way to unplug from the world back home and just be alone with yourself and your thoughts. I think anything longer than two weeks and I would start to get lonely though.
>>
I think introverts can be different people when they travel.

If you really don't want to be social, solo road trips or hiking can be an incredible isolated experience.
>>
>>1271449
this. I've had a lot of good things come from tinder. I got relatively lucky in the gene pool though, so of course that helps
>>
Introvert here and had no problem travelling alone. I also had no problems meeting people. If i didn't meet anyone to tour around a place i'd just go by myself. I'd often run into random people, talk and tour around with them. This happened a lot in Vietnam when i was biking around.
>>
>>1271335
Introvert here, spent 3 weeks travelling in Thailand last year, first solo trip and I had lot of fun. I met a lot a people with some I kept contact. The thing about solo travelling is that it will make you want to meet people actually, unless you are a total caveman. You will discover about yourself and push some boundaries.I was staying in hostels for my part, because its fuckin cheap and you can meet some fellas to drink with. But my choice.
>>
>>1271382
Old faggot detected. If you don't stay in hostels your doing it wrong.
>>
>>1271335
I did it once, and honestly before you do such a thing look at yourself OP, and ask yourself if you think your personally fits you going alone abroad to some exotic location. But yeah, my experience is just as the others say, that you can't really fanthom it until you've actually done it.

For myself; I know that I will never ever travel alone for instance. I am a control freak and absolutely hate to not be in control of things and events, and it turns out that such an attitude can be quite stressful if you're backpacking on your own
>>
>>1271335
i'm very introverted, don't have any mates at uni.
went travelling for a week around europe and its very hit and miss. You can get good roommates and bad roommates.
But i never got on well enough with them to keep in contact afterwards. But in terms of 1/2 nights with, normies are fine.
>>
>>1271335
>Do you think it is enjoyable travelling by yourself
The only time I've ever traveled with other people is on family vacations. The only times I ever have to deal with a rushed atmosphere or airport baggage hysteria is...on family vacations. I find traveling by myself to be an immensely refreshing and rewarding experience. Traveling feels so streamlined and unrestricted. It also helps you develop a great sense of self-reliance. Nobody is there to hold your hand, you can't just turn to your friend and ask if you're unsure of something. You need to use your head and handle any wonky situations on your own.

That said, you don't necessarily have to spend your entire trip alone. It's always nice to run into groups of fellow travelers. I have a particularly fond memory from my solo trip through Italy, when I was in Milan. I laughed it up with some travelers at a nearby restaurant for dinner before heading back to my hostel and listening to some cool stories from a couple of Russian girls who were in the same room. They'd basically hiked and hitchhiked all the way from Russia.

Interacting with other people from completely different places and walks of life is one of best things about traveling. I learn so much more about the places I visit by striking up a conversation with the people there than I do by staring at some old ruins or mountains.
>>
I got a taste for it earlier this year when I travelled for a job interview and aside from the solo dinners its awesome. I could walk around the city all day aimlessly without having to worry about whether any of my travel companions or family would get bored or not enjoy it.

I could travel to obscure streets that interested me that I knew anyone else I travelled with would say no to.

When I went shopping I could spend hours browsing, again, without worrying about boredom or companions wanting to go.

I could get on a tram or train to wherever it stopped without worrying whether my companions would think it sucked.

Overall it felt very liberating. When I get the chance i'm going to plan a solo trip to Europe, but for a couple of weeks instead of the 5 days I travelled solo before. I am introverted so the solo dinners were a little awkward sometimes, but everything else was totally fine for me. I like doing things alone and having solitude in my room sometimes. It was really peaceful tbqh.

My only recommendation: don't travel to resorts or very small cities that normally couples or groups would travel to (especially as an introvert). You will have a shit time. Cities are perfect.
>>
>>1272266
>your
lel

I am also an oldfag. I also don't stay in hostels. Why pay $6 for a dorm bed in "happy pink fat buddha" and have to mingle with opinionated fatties and eurotrash, when you can just look a bit further and get a fan room for $7, with the extra $1 giving you the added benefit of being able to fap and keeping your stuff reasonably safe?

But then I am also the kind of person that would pay a premium NOT to have to mingle with backpackers in their late teens.
>>
>>1272563
>the solo dinners were a little awkward sometimes

Are we being lined up for this old meme again?

What/where the hell do you people eat that makes solo eating awkward? Do you get an entire suckling pig on the table?
>>
>>1271382
you can just get a private room in a hostel
>>
Ok I'm travelling back from my first solo trip today. Waiting for plane now.

Overall, it's different. Better in some regards, worse in others. I've enjoyed myself a lot because I have had freedom of choice and am comfortable with my own company.

But, yes, it is worse in some regards. Meals can be depressing, and waiting in lines and stuff is too.

They're different experiences. You might prefer solo travelling or you might not, but it's enjoyable either way and i recommend you do it. Tip though: go somewhere you feel comfortable with for your first try. I'm in Paris because i can speak french and am relatively familiar with the city.
>>
>>1272266
Mate, hostels when you're 18-20 going through europe broke as fuck. Any point after that you need to start getting your shit together in life.

Don't try and argue a bunk beds as good as a private hotel room.

But each their own, travel how you wish to.
>>
>>1272615
>"Heh, get a load of this awkward loner eating by himself at a popular restaurant in the middle of a tourist center."
>>
>>1271335
I love travelling alone, don't much care about socializing, and typically use guest houses or little hotels rather than hostels (exceptions being places where hotels are insanely expensive, such as Moscow--I used a private room in a hostel there). I have enjoyed more than a few organized excursions, during which I've been perfectly happy to socialize/make small talk with my fellow visitors, and will admit that once in a while I like to strike up conversations with strangers in backpacker bars, since they're social places, I like to drink, and it's a bit weird to drink alone. But I'm cool with being solo for the great majority of my time if I'm on the road by myself. I read, write, take pictures, listen to music, talk to local shopkeepers, etc.
>>
>>1271466
>>>1271410
>> They are a good way to pick up foot fungus and be robbed of your belongings, or worse
>I've stayed in like 20 hostels in my life, and I never ggot sick, nor someone tried to rob me. You said you have never been to a hostel before, so realize you're just talking with silly stereotypes, just like those people that refuse to travel to south america because they fear they will be kidnapped and beheaded by some Cartel.
I don't need to be experienced to understand that a shared bathroom isn't my ideal hygienic experience. I'm extra careful in pools, spas and other areas where it is unavoidable, but when I am sleeping in a hotel room, I like that my toilet seat can be sat upon and isn't shared immediately before me by someone else not 2 minutes earlier.
>>
>>1272990
This, if there's one thing I fucking hate about hostels it's catching footrot

Happens every single hostel trip without fail, even thongs in the shower don't help
>>
>>1271335
I've been out 6 months solo, and I don't really make friends or anything

accommodation is more expensive; especially if hostels arn't available as hotels usually charge double prices in most of the world (but not in asia I think)

eating sucks sometimes because you can't share meals; so often you are limited in what you can order

tours suck balls if you're solo, you can't afford the solo price so have to pitch in with other people who probably arn't doing what you want to and are definitely retards.
Most realtravelers don't take tours, but for more extreme activities where you don't have gear or in remote areas it's neccecary.

if you don't iteract with locals you will miss out on a lot of the culture

but all that being said I did it, and still do it
>>
I'm fairly introverted and have never had any problems traveling by myself.

I still make compatible friends at hostels and out at bars and nightclubs.

However, I do tend to shrivel up in party hostels, which tend to be full of very young, very loud, and very gregarious people. Accordingly, I tend to book rooms in places which have a reputation for being relaxed or mellow.

For instance, I stayed a while at a hostel here in Mexico City. All of the reviews lamented how it didn't have a party vibe but was good otherwise. Stayed there and had a fantastic time - people were respectful and kept to themselves. Usually there'd be a handful of folks drinking on the rooftop or in the common area in the evening, which meant there were options to socialize if I wanted to - however, there'd still be folks sound asleep on a Saturday evening, so I didn't feel weird crashing whenever I wanted.

For what it's worth, dorms aren't overtly social places. Conversations do break out, but nobody is going to pester you if you're sitting in your bed, engrossed in a book or doing work online.
>>
I been in Japan for a few months by myself. Didn't make any friends. Didn't talk to locals. Didn't really do anything. I wanted to go to events and stuff but have no idea how to do it due to language barrier.
So I pretty much waste those few months. I'm sure I spent 1/3 of the time in my room on internet/tv shows.
But it's alright. I'm pretty introverted. I like the change of environment. I was probably going to do the same thing here in US anyway. I enjoyed walking around instead of driving everywhere.
Overall it was alright but could be a lot better.
>>
>>1271335
Depends on where you are travelling most of all. I find "getting lost" and people watching in cities and towns by myself to be quite the treat. But i also love meeting new people while travelling and some those experiences and interactions have been incredibly rewarding and memorable.
>>
>>1273337
Ah that made me kinda sad, three months is a long time to ignore the country you are staying in
>>
>>1271335
Hostels are okay because they're always full of a blend of partiers and socially nervous people who stay quiet, and people who don't give a fuck about the norm - they book the room because it's cheap, not to socialize.

It would be interesting to find someone else who's interested in all the same things you are, but a lot of introverts are interested less in leaning towers and capital cities but quiet countryside and historic places. If you talk to people at the hostel you can get an idea of where they're going and maybe tag along
>>
>>1272275

please tell us your story, we always only hear about successful solo travels, while we never read about bad experience, I think it would be informative to see why and where people had problems with their solo trips. I'm going to do my first solo trip in a couple of weeks, i'm an extrovert and easy going person and very adaptable, but still I'm a bit frightened.. so if you have any advices please tell me
>>
>>1272615

not him, but i perfectly understand why is awkward to eat alone at restaurant
Of course no one is giving a shit about you, but you still feel weird when you're the only person alone at the table

It's like when you go to a pub or a disco alone, everyone is chatting with their friends or groups while you're all alone dancing and drinking. Again, probably no one is even loking at you, but you still feel awkward
>>
>>1272965
Said no one ever, outside of a high school cafeteria.
>>
Considering my main travel interests are history, architecture, and museums, solo travel seems to be the only way to go.
>>
I'm pretty introverted and i kinda enjoy travelling alone. Most of the time I start a conversation with someone i meet on a walking tour or someone in the hostel. Sometimes you like each other and we go out to eat something and sometimes you don't really click but it doesn't really matter because you can't be friends with everyone you meet
When walking through the city or doing other stuff alone i just listen to music.

If i meet people that I like i drink a couple of beers with them or we do some stuff together the next day like hiking. If I don't meet someone i Like and don't feel the need to socialize, i just write in my travel diary, read a good book or browse the internet.

I'm also /fit/ so I try to do some workout in the hostel and pay attention to my diet. So when there are nights where I don't talk with people, I just try to train

Pic: Sibiu, Romania, where I am right now
>>
File: IMG_20170721_175906.jpg (5MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170721_175906.jpg
5MB, 4640x2610px
>>1277165
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.