[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The land of Oz

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: steve-irwin-200x250.jpg (19KB, 200x250px) Image search: [Google]
steve-irwin-200x250.jpg
19KB, 200x250px
Is Australia a worthwhile place to visit? I am in the beginning stages of planning a 3 week vacation there in December (the only time I can take off as much as 3 weeks time). Flights from the east coast usa seem really damned inconvenient (most flights average approximately 40 hours w/ layovers) and expensive.

I was planning on renting a car and going from Cairns to Melbourne. Has anyone done this and was it worthwhile? My only concern is the long flight and opportunity cost with other places I can visit that are closer/cheaper.
>>
>>1269857
You should get your money's worth driving driving from cairns to melb, you will see alot of what the east coast of Australia has to offer(nature, beaches, wildlife, climates and maybe you might notice the cultures between states)

How long are you going to stay at destinations along the way?
There isnt much to do between sydney and melbourne
>>
I spent 7 months in Australia recently and am going back soon. It is a worthwhile place to visit.

I've seen some flights from the west coast of US going for around $700 return to Sydney or Melbourne. Would be much more inconvenient from the east coast.

3 weeks is a very short time for doing the whole of east coast in Australia. It is a very big country, just like America, you have to figure in the huge distances. Cairns to Melbourne is like going from Chicago to LA. Look at either going Cairns-Brisbane and maybe a short flight hop over to Sydney for a few days or if you like cities and mountains go from Sydney to Melbourne.

I have not been to the east coast yet, will be there early next year. I did spend a lot of time in Victoria though and can highly recommend it especially in the summer.
>>
>>1269857
As a Flyover-American, I suspect Australia is probably one of the most expensive places you can travel to and stay.

I don't think it's worth that much just to see Bizarro Murrica in the Southern hemisphere.
>>
>>1270167
>one of the most expensive places you can travel to and stay
OP should check out numbeo.com and make some comparisons. Mods should add numbeo to the sticky, if it gets updated this decade,
>>
>>1270193
I'll check it out, but I would be genuinely shocked if it were possible to do a two week $2,000 trip to Australia.

The country not known as a foodie hot spot, so maybe you could get by on just bread and water. But Melbourne supposedly has an impressive cafe culture.
>>
File: prox.icyboards.net.jpg (20KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
prox.icyboards.net.jpg
20KB, 300x400px
>>1270024
Still kind of figuring that stuff out I'm guessing maybe 2-3 days at each major city. A day zig zagging across areas to check out national parks. The drive itself will take 27 hrs max so if I want to gun it to the airport ASAP I will be able to do it in like 2 days.
>>1270159
I know comparatively I won't be able to see everything the east coast has to offer but I feel like using something like roadtrippers I can basically cherry pick stuff along the way and stay a day or two here and there if I'm not feeling like I need to be somewhere.
>>1270167
I have thought this might be the case. I hardly know anyone who has actually gone to Australia as an American. I feel like its one of those places that is just inconvenient to go to. I mean I am losing like a couple days alone at least from traveling there and I can imagine it is going to fuck up my sleep patterns quite a bit. I have allocated myself 5k for the entire trip but I won't be upset if it ends of being 6.

Anyway I am still on the fence about the whole thing I mean I could go to a smaller country in Europe or somewhere in South America probably spend like half of what I am going to end up spending.
>>
>>1270262
Unless you live in Los Angeles it's totally inconvenient. You can fly so many other places that are more exotic, cheaper, and easier to get to.
>>
>>1270024
>There isnt much to do between sydney and melbourne
m8what.gif
>>
>>1270306
Is the koala brothel still open?
>>
>>1270306
Biased banana bender post
>>
So which one of the Visa websites should I use? How do I even know if they're legit?
>>
>>1269857
You are going to die. It is the hottest month. Also highest for tourist deaths. You are going to die.
>>
>>1270832
december isnt the hottest month.
>>
>>1270913
its just about tho, he's going to died
>>
As an Australian who travels to America once a year and NYC, hopefully your near JFK? Probably not but I'm guessing since 40 hours.

But JFK, 2 hour transit usually after flying to west coast than the 13 hour flight from LAX is the quickest route I've found.

Cars are expensive to rent in Australia, you'll be looking at $100+ dollaroos a day normally. But really its the only physical way to travel and see Australia.

If you want to see Cairns, fly in. Than fly down and rent a car from Brisbane and drive to Sydney, South Coast and Melbourne. This alone will take 3 weeks easily. The drive from Cairns to Brisbane is fucking massive and you will see fuck all and miss nothing you won't see further down.

If you have a car you'll be able to save massively on transport and accom but. Taxis the most expensive in the world and for accom you can stay a bit out of town for cheap, check out airbnb etc for Sydney don't stay directly in the middle will eat up to much budget, Brisbane Melbourne both cheap enough to stay in the centres and walk around.

Eating out in Australia is also the most expensive I've found the world over, but rent contained apartments rooms with microwaves go to woolies and coles and buy up a storm weekly of groceries for most week days and you'll get by on $20 a day.

AMA about anything else if needed.
>>
File: wake_in_fright_still_06.jpg (640KB, 877x642px) Image search: [Google]
wake_in_fright_still_06.jpg
640KB, 877x642px
>>1270994
40 hours was just an average based on layovers and whatnot. I have found some flights in like the 25 hour range but these are more expensive. My main airport is Philadelphia but JFK is definitely the cheapest its just a pain in the ass to get there. Cairns to Brisbane is cheap as hell I might do that instead of driving.

$100 a day seems high for cars I've checked prices for like 18 days and across 3 car rental places I am averaging 35 dollars a day for the cheaper car mind you but that's like 44 AUS per day.

My real question is how do you survive the flight? I get pissy after about an 8-10 hour flight so I'm just curious how you do it and then adjust to the time zone.

Also I don't drink alcohol at all-is this going to be a problem?
>>
>>1271151

We don't trust cunts who don't drink.
>>
>>1271151
You might be right circa cars, Just did a quick search and realised not being 18 on provisional licence anymore means they are quite cheap now. Honestly last checked years ago.

Each time you take a longer flight the more you get adjusted to it.. Does suck complete fucking balls but. Load up the Kindle, laptop with a series or so. Pay for extra leg room. This is a must, I won't catch an international flight without this anymore but for the US-AUS flight the $150 extra is worth every cent you'll thank yourself later.

You could take a valium or xanax when first boarding, I've learnt to just deal with never slept on a plane and just power on through when you land and you'll sleep like a baby that night and usually fine by the next day.
>>
It's not really worth seeing Australia just to see the East Coast. Sure, our beaches are next tier gorgeous, but you absolutely must go to the Northern Territory. Uluru is breathtakingly gorgeous, one of my favourite places in the world. Kakadu is also extremely beautiful, though you'd be in Australia during the wet season so travel in Kakadu might be a little inconvenient. If you can get over to the Kimberleys in WA then that'd be fucking cool too. Better snorkelling and coral reefs on the West Coast now that the Great Barrier Reef is bleached to absolute shit.
>>
Oi

where do I spend 3 weeks, Port Douglas or Cairns? October, idgaf about shopping drinking partying etc all I care about is
-Good place to sleep in form of hostel, I'll be outside of it for 16 hours I just want a bed to sleep in
-easiest most cost effective way into the reef and surrounding national parks
-All I give a shit about is wildlife and nature. Will probably turn down sex in favor of seeing a platypus
>>
>>1271152
I think this is a global rule.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.