[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Southern Africa

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

Anything in particular that I should go for through Botswana and South Africa? Essentially planning on going from Cape Town through Namibia and to Victoria falls, but then I'm wondering the best way to get back. Is the middle route down South Africa a waste of time/dangerous?
>>
I basically did this route (but stopped in Victoria falls) with a tour group.

It's feasible but just realize the crazy amount of driving that it involves - 73hrs seems like a huge under-estimate given the road conditions in Namibia and to a lesser degree Botswana. And in Namibia realize that you'll be driving through a featureless desert for days.

I did this tour:
https://nomadtours.co.za/this-year/cape-town-to-victoria-falls-north/#itinerary

Looking through that will give you some idea of the best things to do along the way. Even being in the back of that truck every day for 3 weeks was a bit much, I couldn't imagine driving twice the distance myself.
>>
>>1269078
Bring water
>>
>>1269078
In my opinion, the Cape Town to Port Elizabeth portion of your trip will be the best. You're passing through some rather boring country at times, particularly in Namibia and Botswana. It looks all well and good on a map but the stretch from Cape Town to Namibia is going to be so incredibly dull. Just thousands of kilometers of barren, moon-like terrain. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful, but it doesn't make for an interesting drive after 4+ hours.

Why not take a jaunt into Zimbabwe or Mozambique? Driving along the coast will offset the desert portion nicely.
>>
Definitely swing further east after pretoria. Kruger, swaziland, st lucia, durban, drakensburgs, lesotho are all highlights.

I sure hope you are going to sossusvlei and etosha in namibia.

Are you driving?

If so, 1. check out fish river canyon, 2. it might be easier to do the okavango from the north which would allow you to take the easy route from vic falls (bulawayo, beitbridge).

If not, Namibia is extremely difficult to do without a car or on a tour. You'll just have to get a bus to windhoek and try and find others to rent a car with.
>>
>>1269388
Thanks, yes taking car with one other. Likely going to fork out for a decent vehicle just to be safer with breakdowns etc

Can you elaborate more on the route around vic falls? Are you saying it would be better approaching okavango from the north-west, then going up to vic falls, then coming back down through zimbabwe?

Also, any intel on accommodation? Quick searches seem to indicate its very affordable (decent enough places as low as 15 GBP per night)
>>
>>1269489
Approach from the north west, but afterwards backtrack to Divundu and continue as per your map to vic falls and then through zim. I'd get in contact with one of the lodges at popa falls and see if they organise trips into the delta because the northern end isn't exactly a tourism hub. A lot of the big tour groups do it this way but they are all pre-organised
Just a different option, from what I know the roads would be better that way but I guess the downside is you see a bit less of botswana

Accommodation should be super easy and reasonably cheap apart from the safari parks. You might need to book ahead a bit if it's peak season
>>
>>1269078
Bring a gun
>>
File: namibia.png (170KB, 535x531px) Image search: [Google]
namibia.png
170KB, 535x531px
Have you seen the Grand Tour episode where they go to Namibia? Well, they weren't kidding. The place is massive and empty. Not saying you shouldn't go, just be prepared for vast stretches of nothing. It does have a few places of interest though, Sossusvlei, Hoba meteorite, a lot of towns with a very noticeable German origin, etc.

Also, why not do Swaziland and Lesotho while you're there? They're `small and pretty close, and it would be fun to have crossed them off your list, no?
>>
>>1269078
I'm saving up for that fancy train they've got down there. All I want to do in life is ride it.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.