[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working Holiday Visa New Zealand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png (42KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png
42KB, 2000x1000px
Just got approved for a New Zealand working holiday visa. Essentially it's a visa saying I can live in the country for a year. Anybody have any experience with this? Any advice?

A couple things that I need to get taken care of, either before departing or soon after arriving:

>Traveler's insurance
>A place to live
>A place to work
>Finding a bank and transferring my funds
>A cell phone plan

Not sure I'm going, but just trying to feel it out before I make a decision
>>
>>1268983
Book into an airbnb or backpacker hostel when you arrive, don't pay for accommodation you haven't visited. People will take advantage of foreigners. Finding a bank is easy, google what they need (usually you will need an address before you can do this, they might want a letter of introduction from your current bank saying you're a customer in good standing).
>>
>>1268994
Thanks for the advice! I was already thinking of booking an airbnb just to put a roof over my head to start, though I wasn't going to visit first, which sounds naive now. I'll look into it.

And yeah, I wasn't too worried about finding a bank, but it's something to check off. Wasn't aware of a letter of introduction.

One thing as far as work goes, I was thinking of trying to find work that offers room and board, to take care of the living issue as well. Does anybody know if that is viable for a full year's worth of living/employment?
>>
Where are you from ?

Any idea where you're heading?
>>
>>1269077
From southern USA. Been looking at Wellington.
>>
Are you coming to work the ski season ? Or what kind of work are you looking for and what do you want to do in New Zealand ?
>>
>>1269172
Not looking for anything in particular, other than maybe a place that offers accommodation and pay, as I've said. One stipulation of the working holiday visa is that I can only work part time.

The visa lasts for a year after I arrive, so seasonal work would only get me so far.

As for what I want to do: I plan to be a tourist as much as I can afford. I've never spent more than a couple days outside the USA, and living abroad is something I'd like to experience.
>>
I was on a WHV in Australia recently. I traveled through NZ but didn't want to live there.

>A place to live
Stay in backpacker hostels when you arrive. It will get you to meet people who you can ask questions about finding jobs and things to see and do, easy to make friends. If you do decide to live in one city for longer, you can then look for your own apartment to rent.

>A place to work
My understanding is that there aren't that many good jobs for backpackers there. You might have more luck finding farm jobs in the summer months or work in tourist zones such as Queenstown/Wanaka or Tauranga.

>bank
Getting a bank account is easy. You need a passport and proof of address (a piece of paper from a landlord, or even easier, from the hostels you're staying in). To transfer funds look into transferwise. It's cheaper than most other options.

>cell phone plan
No issues there, just walk into vodafone or any other phone company with your passport and you'll get a sim card.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.