[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where in the world feels furthest away from the world?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

File: mittenwald--bavaria--germany.jpg (320KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
mittenwald--bavaria--germany.jpg
320KB, 1280x960px
Where in the world feels furthest away from the world?
>>
Marianas trench

Or North korea
>>
>>1267902

Iceland, the Amazon
>>
Stewart Island
>>
>>1267919
>Iceland
I raise you East Greenland.
>>
transoceanic solo rowboat with a storm approaching
>>
>>1267902
probably some desert setting, or transoceanic solo boat trip

sylvain tesson comes to mind, french travel writer who stayed 6 months alone in a wooden cabin next to the frozen lake baikal and wrote a book and made a movie about it
>>
>>1267902
at a subway station in NYC
>>
File: 20160420_191837.jpg (3MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
20160420_191837.jpg
3MB, 4608x2592px
>>1267919
Iceland maybe if you can go to a family hut in the hinterland. If you're stuck in Reyk or you're anywhere within an hour's drive you will be mobbed by chink tour busses full of Chinamen in full arctic expedition gear that they very clearly just purchased at the airport for at least $1488.

Seriously the dudes show up in full battle rattle like Helly Hansen survival suits so that they can sit on a tourbus and do the golden circle. Better gear than I've ever had in my life for the 6 minutes they spend taking selfies of Gulfoss.

It's a shame Afghanistan is still so unapproachable, because up in the northeast there in the mountains was the most beautiful place I've ever been to. Like crystal blue untouched caldera lakes up at 15000' elevations with not a single hint of civilization in sight, not so much as a goat trail. Absolutely striking. It was there that I saw the night sky in the most vivid detail imaginable in hues of the richest, deepest blues you've ever seen and the milky way like a bank of fog made from light.

More obtainable, you can volunteer to be an unskilled deckhand on a transatlantic crossing for a yacht delivery. Bonus points if you've ever sailed or are willing to learn over the summer. The middle of the ocean is basically the definition of austerity and isolation.
<3
>>
As far as America go, there's lots of parts of Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, North and South Dakota that are incredibly remote and make you feel like you're the last person on earth.
>>
File: 8909809909.jpg (5MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
8909809909.jpg
5MB, 3840x2160px
>>1267902
The good ole Yukon, or the National Arctic Wildlife refugee, you will feel alone as fuck and you actually will be
>>
The objective answer is Tristan de Cunha.
>>
>>1267995
You're a good writer. Tell me more about your travels
>>
>>1267995
i so want to be in the middle of the ocean after reading this
>>
Kars in Turkey.
I'd hate to live there, but I've never been in a "major" city that made me feel so lonely. Very comfy though.
>>
>>1268045
heading to see kluane, Atlin and Dawson city this summer, so damn hyped. I imagine there's gonna be so many damn rv's I'll get stuck behind on the way up there though :(
>>
File: punto-nemo.jpg (102KB, 1000x537px) Image search: [Google]
punto-nemo.jpg
102KB, 1000x537px
Point Nemo
>>
Patagonia.

>>1267919
The Amazon is filled with small villages all over the place. If you really get into the jungle away from any civilization then it's just a bunch of suck.
>>
>>1267953
this

In fact, the further you are from Mongolia
>>
>>1267995
can you tell me where are the lakes you're talking about?
I think I just gained another dream to live for
>>
I think the "stans" and some areas of Africa are the most "opposite side of the world" for us westerners.
>>
Are there any "remote" villages that are actually livable?
I want off this city living ride
>>
Papua New Guinea.
>>
>>1268045
>>1268285
Is there internet in those places, and what do people who live in the middle of nowhere write in "adress" when they ship something from amazon.
>>
>>1268322
Their address, I imagine
>>
>>1268325
ok but how if there are no streets or point of reference
"hello id like to order a pizza"
"sure where"
"the cabin next to that one mountain look here are my geographical cordinates"
>>
Some Island in the middle of the Pacific
>>
>>1268332
sure
they have no roads
no cars
no homes
no buildings at all
In fact, they live in mud pits, self-dug during every heavy rain.
They don't recognize each other, hence they just call everybody Muhhamed
Truly, a strange place where civilisaton have never tresspassed.
So Amazon will be happy once you just write "Muhammed, Afghanistan".
Mind you though they might have no idea what to do with a box they recieve.
Also, Amazon may charge you extra for the unusual order.
>>
>>1268322
An example: if you want to mail something to the government (such as it is) of the Pitcairn Islands, the best you can do is a post office box in New Zealand.
>>
>>1267939
Dick Proenneke came to mine. Spent 30 years alone in a cabin in the Alaskan forest.
>>
>>1267953
from the world, not humanity
>>
File: MacquarieIslandIsthmus.jpg (750KB, 1548x1043px) Image search: [Google]
MacquarieIslandIsthmus.jpg
750KB, 1548x1043px
>>1267902

Macquarie Island
>>
File: Peillon 2.jpg (314KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
Peillon 2.jpg
314KB, 1280x850px
>>1268285
They are all livable as long as you have a car and money

>>1268322
>>1268332

The pic of the village anon posted is French countryside so even if it's isolated from French standarts it's not really the middle of nowhere, it's western Europe so postal services proceed as usual
As far as I know there's internet pretty much everywhere but the speed might be shite
>>
I've been trying to find these sorts of places in otherwise populated areas with mixed success. I just got back from a week in western Siskiyou County, California. Going up 101 had a ton of people, 299 less so, then onto 96 with far less people, past Somes Bar and then took some unnamed roads further into the woods northwest until that ended, then I hiked for half a day and camped there. Never saw, heard or witnessed evidence of another soul until I hiked back out and drove home. I'd imagine there are lots of places like that near western U.S. state borders.

I had a similar experience in Louisiana where I took a boat down the Atchafalaya River, turned into a bayou and kept going until I couldn't see any traces of humanity. Camped out there a few days, but eventually heard a plane overhead and it lost some of it's appeal.

Have had less success in places like Germany, Moldova and Mexico. I tried to go camp out in all three and never found any place that didn't at least have a well established little ranching community in their less traveled areas.
>>
>>1271162
you fucking did it in US, but failed in Moldova?
man, it's either that you were really unlucky or that I know nothing about Moldova
>>
>>1271454
I was probably unlucky. It was my first time in Moldova and I was there on business, just managed to steal away for two days. I went northwest from Chisinau towards some forested hilly areas, but every backroad I took ended with a town or village. My Russian and Romanian weren't good enough that I felt I could push my luck going into some of the forests, besides everything looked like it belonged to someone already.

I guess it's easier in the U.S. because there has been less time for folks to settle the land. I mean flying over most of Europe is depressing to me because it's so visibly tamed by humans; at least in the U.S. there are still miles of nothing and no one interrupted by sprawls of civilization.
>>
>>1271454
>or that I know nothing about Moldova
Yes.

It's one of the most densely populated countries in Europe actually.
>>
>>1267995
I was initially planning on going to Iceland this year but bagged it because of the tourism. It's so sad when a beautiful country is ruined by thousands of idiot tourists who have no respect for nature, the last thing I want to do is contribute to it. I still really want to get my hands on some Icelandic sweaters though.

>The middle of the ocean is basically the definition of austerity and isolation.
Funny you mentioned this because I really want to do exactly that.
>>
>>1271532
Just curious, but what business did you do in moldova? I have been there and it felt like the whole country ran on foreignmoney
>>
>>1267936
*sharts pants
>>
A previously undiscovered tropical island, which you have just been shipwrecked upon
>>
The Cook Islands. No joke, a 400-people atoll with the next one being 500 miles away is pretty much all isolation I've ever been able to handle.
>>
My money would go on Patagonia.
>>
>>1271927
How much money do you need to live there?
>>
>>1271845
Project management for a tech company. Specifically I was there to set up a contract to build out some quality automation pipelines - there are some decent engineers and quality assurance professionals in Moldova and Romania, I had worked with several of them at a video game company years before.

I don't do that work anymore but you are correct about the foreign money injection. There were a lot of Germans who moved to Moldova to build businesses with cheap specialized labor. Most are better than what you get from China and India too.
>>
>>1272005
>>Project management for a tech company. Specifically I was there to set up a contract to build out some quality automation pipelines
tl;dr you went to show camwhores how to set up chaturbate accounts
>>
File: Val des skuas.jpg (101KB, 1084x361px) Image search: [Google]
Val des skuas.jpg
101KB, 1084x361px
I can highly recommend the kergulen islands
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.