[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amsterdam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

File: canal-amsterdam-the-netherlands.jpg (3MB, 3000x2002px) Image search: [Google]
canal-amsterdam-the-netherlands.jpg
3MB, 3000x2002px
Hi all, I am Australian born with Scottish parents and I plan on moving to Amsterdam.

I am sick of the monotonous lifestyle i'm living, I work on the mines / gas plants and I am completely over slaving away for the cash.

I plan on moving over to the EU before the end of the year.

If you are from Holland or have experience living there, could you please let me know of good areas to live in / close to the town.

I will have roughly 20 - 30,000 Euros to play with. thanks!
>>
Why do you want to go to Amsterdam out of all the places?
Have you ever been there?
Don't tell me you plan on moving to a place and country you have never visited but
>LOL WEED
is all you know.
How good are your language skills?
How do you plan on moving there? Where will you stay?
I hope you know that Europe doesn't just take any foreigner in just because people feel like moving there. If you won't have a job you will get kicked out of the country - just like any other European country.
So what's your plan exactly? Doesn't sound like you know what you are doing at all.
>>
>>1266594

I visited Amsterdam years ago, I need a change from Australia, the life style is more suited to how i want to live.

that's why I'm asking for good places to live, I'm not completely sure of the areas.

Like I said, I work on the mine / gas plants, I'm hoping to get work as a scaffolder
>>
>>1266594
just to expand on that

"So what's your plan exactly"

I already said in my op, "I am sick of the monotonous lifestyle i'm living, I work on the mines / gas plants and I am completely over slaving away for the cash."
>>
Australian from Perth who lived in A'dam for 2 years, I'll write up some recommendations later.
>>
>>1266602
I live in perth to mate, do you have dual passports and was it east to move there?
>>
>>1266589
>moving to Amsterdam.
>roughly 20 - 30,000 Euros
Good luck with that
>>
>>1266609
I don't mind living 20-30 mins outside of the town if the cost is going to be drastically cheaper
>>
>>1266603
Dutch partner.
Moved there from London initially so not too difficult but you'll need to know some Dutch to apply for visas and things as it's all done in Dutch. Also difficult to get a visa unless you have money or a job offer. Setting up bank accounts is kind of frustrating too as you need a job offer and a permanent address to apply.
>>
>>1266611
Amsterdam is just really expensive, housing market is at extremely ridiculous levels again.
Even if you're willing to live in the outskirts/worst neighbourhoods. And you won't be able to afford much more than the tiniest possible room.
>>
>>1266616
How are most average people able to live there then?
>>
>>1266616
not true..
depending on what you pay it's no more ludicrous than any other major European city, and similar to Australia's rental prices.
Having said that I split rent with my partner so we could afford a little more, but in general places in Amsterdam can be quite small that's true.
>>
>>1266615
I have plenty of money, just no job initially.

I have both Australian and British passports, so im wondering if that helps with the visa
>>
>>1266619
British may help, although that's hard to know with the whole Brexit thing.
Having a lot of money will also help but I'd read up on visas as just showing up with no clear plan won't get you through customs.
Also as I said.. learn some Dutch. Everyone speaks English but it's the equivalent of everyone in Australia speaking Spanish as a second language and then having a Spanish person move to Australia and not wanting to speak English at all.. it'll open a lot of doors and in some cases is just necessary.
>>
>>1266621
I was kind of going for the whole, wing it sort of thing with language.
>>
>>1266622
You can do that, just expect to pretty much fail.
Also after living in NL for over 2 years you have to pass an integration test which includes speaking acceptable Dutch, knowing certain things about the Dutch monarchy and history and other relevant information.
There's no point in moving somewhere if you're not going to try and integrate, I'm sure you feel the same way about migrants in Australia and that's what you'll be there.. a migrant.
>>
>>1266617
By living with multiple people in an appartement. By having a well-paying job. By having wealthy parents.

>>1266618
Sure, but if you don't have a job yet 20-30.000 is nothing, don't think you'll be able to sign a contract with that as your backup plan.
>>
>>1266624
that's enough for rental of a studio in an alright neighbourhood for a year, he'll be fine.
NL is really not THAT expensive.. I'd recommend Utrecht to be honest but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>1266623
I'm not sure I will be staying there over 2+years, and also by then i would hope to of learned a wee bit of the language by then
>>
>>1266624
I don't mind sharing an apartment with people, I have lived in shared accommodation before.

20-30k is just a starting point, I am hoping to get work, if not I have more funds than that to cover me, I'm hoping to not go over that budget tho
>>
>>1266627
it's one of those things, like I said, that'll ingratiate you to the locals.. the Dutch can be cold people, unknowingly.
Either way if you're moving there with no real plan it's going to be difficult as will any country you do that in.
>>
>>1266631
I have around 4-6months before I leave for NL, hopefully giving me time to come up with a solidish plan. Im starting a new job this Wednesday, and the plan is to spend most of the cash on this move
>>
>>1266631
>the Dutch can be cold people, unknowingly.
We know pretty well that we're cold.
>>
>>1266633
Sounds good, research visas and things like that and the rest will take care of itself.
Take note, apartments are much smaller there, everything sort of is except the people. Don't buy a new bike buy a used bike from marktplaats.
Look to live in either the west outside of the Jordaan near westerpark, or anywhere else west. The north is a ferry trip away and is boring. The east is rough in some parts. The south is expensive. Otherwise live in Haarlem and take a 20min tram into the city. Or even the new apartments by the "Ijlands" or whatever are nice but a bit segregated.

>>1266635
Nee hoor, Nederlanders zijn heel vriendelijk maar ik vond 't heel moeilijk om vrienden te maken omdat iedereen heel aardig is.. maar een beetje.. afstandelijk zijn? snap je? je moet heel hard werken om vrienden te worden.
>>
>>1266638
Ja, ik snap goed wat je bedoeld hoor, ik weet niet of het afstandelijkheid is, maar het is als Nederlander lastig te beoordelen. Verschilt ook nog eens enorm waar in Nederland.
>>
Just looking at property's now, there are some fucking amazing places for cheap near town on the canals.
>>
File: Map.png (390KB, 1000x525px) Image search: [Google]
Map.png
390KB, 1000x525px
>>1266589
Areas surrounding

Haarlem: Close to the beach, mostly a mini version of Amsterdam. Nicer areas are expensive

Zaandam: Looks beautiful, housing is cheap but lot's of trouble with the housing foundations. Its filled with either young couples with kids or low life peeps.

Almere: Lots of space for your money, no history, no fun people, mostly low lives.

Naarden and Bussum: More posh areas, lots of nature, don't bother as single non Dutchy though

Diemen and Amsterdam Zuid-Oost: A lot cheaper, close to Amsterdam.. but mostly low life peeps and not the Amsterdam you probably want.

Amstelveen: Has nothing going for it, except being close to Amsterdam..
>>
>>1266645
which do you recommend?
>>
>>1266646
In all honesty, I was born in a smaller town. Landed a job in Amsterdam, decided to live in Almere because cheap and I didn't care about "social" stuff that much. But partly because of job and network growing.. I can say I would not have picked Almere again if I knew then what I know now.

Simply go with Amsterdam.. it will probably be 50% more expensive than the surrounding areas.. but 200% more of an experience.
>>
>>1266647

https://www.pararius.com/apartment-for-rent/amsterdam/PR0001381290/brouwersgracht

I saw this place and thought it was pretty sweet
>>
>>1266648
I don't know that area of Amsterdam that well. But most property at the canals will probably give you a good experience.

Should mention that most official property rentals have rules like you have to have a steady income that equals monthly rent x 4,5. Something you should look into
>>
>>1266649
Yeah i saw that, I kinda planned to pay 6months in advance if at all possible.
>>
>>1266599

Well I read this but you work in freaking mines in Australia. Have you ever heard of the DUTCH MINES. They don't exist. You don't seem to know much about the Netherlands, below sea level and what not. So yes I read your OP but you are too retarded to give a proper OP. We don't want you in the Netherlands.
To make it clearer for you: you have a job in Australia with mines and what not. You won't find that job in the Netherlands. You can't just go there as a tourist and be like
>OH I will find a job now
So this is just a pipe dream of some retard online. You will fail. Not because it isn't possible but because you are an idiot.
>>
>>1266611

HAHAHA drastically cheaper. Jesus Christ how fucking stupid are you? Just live 1 hour away from Amsterdam since pretty much every place in the NETHERLANDS (fuck off, calling it Holland you prick) is 1 hour away from Amsterdam (almost).
You should work there as a male prostitute.
>>
>>1266589
How easy is it to get work in the mines in Australia? What are the requirements? Can you work on a short term contract, say 6months?

Would recommend looking into Rotterdam
>>
>>1266665
im not mining for fucking coal, i work as a scaffolder.
>>
>>1266684
depends if you are fully trade qualified or ticketed. its 40%expat workers on most sites i have worked at
>>
>>1266684
i can easily afford to pay €2000 per month for well over a year...
>>
>>1266684
i can easily afford to pay €2000 per month for well over a year...

was ment for
>>1266666
>>
File: 1410688760476.jpg (29KB, 320x306px) Image search: [Google]
1410688760476.jpg
29KB, 320x306px
>>1266666
chckdm
>>
>>1266665
>Have you ever heard of the DUTCH MINES. They don't exist.
They do though, they're just not in use anymore. Limburg used to have a pretty extensive mining industry.
Not that it's relevant to the topic, but yeah.
>>
>>1266594
>Europe doesn't just take in any white foreigners just because you feel like moving there

FTFY
>>
>>1266709
I have no qualifications but I'm eligible to work over there. How difficult/viable is it?
>>
you better move now or forget about it. with the brexit bs, you're going to have it harder to have paperwork sorted out.

right now you would not need any of the immigration crap that some other poster was talking about. you would just need to 1) find a flat, 2) find any random job, 3) go to the gemeente of the flat and get a bsn with the contracts of the above and your passport and your birth certificate with an apostille stamp or what. no immigration exam or any of that weird stuff for brits....at the moment. it will change soon.

forget your australian passport.

also wtf @ it being hard opening a bank account?! you walk in, you hand over your eu passport, say a dutch address, done. abn is every immigrant's best friend, they have translations of contracts in english, apps in english, etc. also afaik even the belastingdienst (customs and revenues? what is this in english?) people are contactable in english since last year. (taxes used to be the only thing people could not get help with in english, but not anymore.)

i am very much judging my friends who have been studying and working in the netherlands for over 10 years without being able to speak a word of dutch....but it's possible, and they're content.

i highly recommend already taking dutch classes, though. you are missing out on the best stuff if you don't speak dutch. and it's freaking expensive to learn dutch in the netherlands, so start at home already.

(my two cents: if you don't already know what eg. 'gemeente' is, just forget about the whole thing. then you did not do your homework.)
>>
Perth anon here again, also forget about nice weather especially being used to Perth.. currently 17C and sunny in the middle of winter, that's practically a summer day in NL.. expect rain and lots of it, cloudy grey skies, and general cold.. it's fine at first but the rain is what killed it for me, especially when riding a bike.
>>
>>1266706
I am from Aus and work in data centres in Amsterdam, I work in the office tough in commercial management. If you think you're going to earn much money as a scaffolder anywhere in Europe or the world as Aus, think again. Cheap Romanians or polish snap up the jobs for a qtr of what you're paid in Aus. You're better off earning your money in Mines and just travelling.
>>
The Dutch are Australia's oldest allies
>>
>>1266915
yeah thats cool man, I used to live in Scotland, im used to the cold haha.

>>1266741
uhhh, really depends mate honestly, its more of less who you know than what you know over here. you can get a start as a TA if you're lucky.
the best bet would be to apply for all the jobs you can on seek. c o m

>>1266918
yeah i dont expect to be making huge amount of money, thats not the reason i want to move. I want a change of life style, I want to experience the world while im still young.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.