[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: /trv/ - Hard Mode

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

File: detroit-bankruptcy.jpg (471KB, 2785x2088px) Image search: [Google]
detroit-bankruptcy.jpg
471KB, 2785x2088px
ITT:

/trv/ - Hard Mode
>>
is it a Real Travelers(tm) thread?
>>
>>1265954

I live in Michigan.

There's absolutely nothing hardcore about Downtown Detroit. Crime rates are significantly below the national average, and there are a fair few attractions and sporting arenas. It's a nice place to visit and spend an evening, if you live close by or are staying the night.

The legitimately dangerous parts of the city are its residential neighborhoods, which have zero touristic value unless you're the sort of person who enjoys ogling poverty.

Going to Detroit doesn't make you hardcore, unless you drove out to Brightmoor or Joy Road and started doing cartwheels down the street with a Ku Klux Klan hat on.
>>
>>1265959
ALT + 0153

You're welcome.
>>
>>1265966
thx
>>
>>1265954
>More pizza and beer per capita than any city in the US
>God tier street layout and city plan
>houses I csn actually afford to buy and still have money leftover to remodel any way I want
>good art and car museums
>riverfront with gambling, better than Atlantic City, no need to go to Vegas

Hmm I think I like this place.
>>
>>1265984
>82.7% black

hmm
>>
File: ao.png (81KB, 2560x1707px) Image search: [Google]
ao.png
81KB, 2560x1707px
I kind of wanted to check out Angola because their flag was pretty cool (something I gotta admit here: a good number of my travel decisions are based on how cool the country's flag looks). But then I did some research, and it doesn't really seem all that exciting.

>high kindapping rates
>high rape rates (generally not a problem for men, but still)
>food is expensive (just normal food, not fancy food)
>convoluted transportation
>nothing much to look at, apparently
>>
>>1266057
Obviously, they spent so much time perfecting their flag that they forgot to improve everything else. It appears your "cool flag=great travel experience" philosophy is flawed.
>>
>>1266074
>a gear and a machete
Such a weird fucking flag.
Looks like BoS logo from Fallout or something
>>
>>1266057
I have worked in Angola for 6 months as consultant for a Bank.
Angola is not worth visiting.
>>
>>1266057
Luanda is one of the most expensive cities on earth; there's a huge amount of oil wealth in Angola but the President and his family have monopolized it. His daughter is one of the richest women in the world and is starting to buy up companies in the old colonial master Portugal.
>>
>>1265963
>I live in (insert city with high crime rate) it's actually a great and very safe city, if you just avoid the dangerous areas where people get bumped off and nobody gives a shit.

t. person who lives in a dangerous city

Ok, so I got a question, why would you not just opt for a city that is safe EVERYWHERE? I, for one, am sick of people that live in dangerous cities acting like it's no big deal instead of just trying to fix the problem. I'll opt for a city where people are real about the danger, or where there is no danger at all.
>>
>>1266206
Any city worth a shit is going to have dangerous areas.

Name one that doesn't.
>>
>>1266206

Nope.

I live an hour and a half from Detroit. I think the city is largely a terrible fucking place.

However, OP's picture is from Downtown Detroit, which is where all of the cities tourist attractions are located. Downtown Detroit is objectively more safe than the average American city.

If you wander off the beaten path, then things quickly downhill. But going to Detroit's run down residential areas is something most tourists won't do, because there's virtually nothing to see in 80% of the city.
>>
>>1266057
>literally a machete on the flag

boi I wonder why it's a bad idea to go there
>>
>>1265963
This. Downtown Detroit doesn't have any homeless people, mostly because it doesn't have any people.
>>
>>1266213

The area around Downtown is fine, too - Greektown, area around Wayne State, and Midtown are just bars and nice apartments marketed towards students, local professionals, and hipsters who want to say they live in Detroit.
>>
>>1266206
No city is safe everywhere
>>
>>1266238
Exactly. I actually think all the people moving out of Detroit has left behind the people that really love the city. Everyone I met there was quite friendly. Hardly hard mode.
>>
>>1266284
>>1266284

Just depends where you go.

My ex-girlfriend lives in Livonia. I decided to take my motorcycle to Detroit after visiting her one weekend.

Went down Six Mile to where it intersects with Grand River, and then followed the avenue for 40 minutes into Downtown.

City was a total fucking dump up until Wayne State. Most of the D is still pretty horrid, so far as I can tell, but the run-down parts are the places nobody visits unless they have a reason to be there.

Area around Downtown, Midtown, Greektown, etc, is really cool, IMO. I like Mexicantown as well.
>>
File: Fordpiquetteplant.jpg (191KB, 1200x901px) Image search: [Google]
Fordpiquetteplant.jpg
191KB, 1200x901px
If you like history and old cars (REALLY old cars), you've got to check out this Detroit landmark:
>>
>>1266281
Depends what city.
>>
>>1266305
Name a city with no dangerous areas.
>>
>>1266213
I'm going to buy an apartment in downtown Detroit and decorate it Deus Ex style now.
>>
>>1266209
In US or anywhere around a world? If latter, I could name quite a few
>>
>>1265954
Metro-Detroiter report'n

I live in the burbs, but I spent a good deal of my childhood around and in Detroit.

Anyone who says Detroit is still hardcore today is a bad meme and should stop sucking so many cocks.

The Downtown area has seen a lot of money pouring in from white hipsters, businessmen looking for cheap real estate and the white mayor who had to fix all the chaos the last few decades of nigger control created.

Outside of downtown the city is just trashy tenements and neighborhoods filled with subhuman trash that likes to prey on everybody who isn't black.

I honestly hope the current mayor wins the coming election, but if not then Detroit is fucked as Coleman Young Jr. takes the stage to return the city to the days of Kwami Kilpatrick.

And fuck the retarded liberal white faggots for enabling that nigger to even get a platform. You people are the most self-destructive retards I have ever seen. Speaking as a local of the area who has seen so many places go to shit because of retarded government policies made form liberals and cuckservatives, I hope the Chinks kill you all.
>>
>>1266360
Singapore
>>
>>1266209>>1266210

geez, this is what i'm talking about. there is dangerous, and then there is dangerous like detroit and chicago when you wander into the wrong neighborhood. they are simply not a good place to travel because you can't wantonly roam around or you might get killed. there are plenty of cities where that is way more unlikely and i'm not going to bother entertaining you with answers.
>>
File: Untitled.png (7MB, 3770x868px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7MB, 3770x868px
>>1266735

The point was that Detroit isn't hardcore from a touristic perspective.

You would have to be blind and retarded as fuck to 'accidentally' wander into a bad area of Detroit. The difference between Downtown and Livernois/Tireman is like night and day.

Here, for instance, is a picture of Google Streetview in Greektown versus some random-ass neighborhood a couple miles northwest.

Are you 'hardcore' for visiting Greektown, which is safer than most American urban centers?

No. And the average tourist won't ever be in a position where they're wandering around the left side of pic related, because it'd take effort and sheer retardation to get there on foot.
>>
>>1266743
>You would have to be blind and retarded as fuck to 'accidentally' wander into a bad area of Detroit.
yeah but if you are from there it seems like common sense, to someone visiting they might get careless if people online and tell them it's safe and just avoid bad areas. foreign people don't know what a bad area looks like, just be real about the city, that's all i'm saying. i get tired of people acting like it's perfectly normal to have a few parts of your city where you will get shot if you wander into them. maybe you grew up like that, but the truth is it's not normal, and anyone visiting or thinking of visiting should know that's the case.
>>
>>1266374
Lol, I like this guy.

Just curious, are you black?
>>
>>1266360
Ripon, it has a population of just under 15000 though
>>
>>1266374
Saw a documentary on kwame kilpatrick- it's like a real life version of what a dave chapelle skit would look like if hood blacks were given control of a major US city.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVDDYQlmq0w
>>
>>1267033
>city
>>
>>1267028
Nope, half beaner half afghan. I'm just calling things as I see them. My racist tendencies came from "cross cultural" contact with the locals. Dont get me wrong though, the white locals in Bloomfield and Birmingham are hilariously dysfunctional too.

In general I hate the area, the rednecks had the right idea scaring off the city tourists with meth and diet racism.
>>
File: shoopd.jpg (534KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
shoopd.jpg
534KB, 720x480px
>>1266360
Lucerne
>>
>>1265963
Lol'd. Accurate.
>>
>>1266209
Tokyo
>>
>>1265966
Not the same Anon but thanks!
>>
>>1266209
Singapore, Reykjavik, Quebec city, and lots of others bub
>>
>>1268791
>Singapore
That is a country. Your argument is invalid.
>>
>>1268795
It's a city-state. It can be both. Also we need a city-state thread. I want to visit them all.
>>
>>1266209
Shanghai

Hong Kong

Singapore
>>
>>1268832
>he fell for the asia meme
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL
>>
>>1265954
Downtown Detroit is getting gentrified as fuck. It's crazy nice and expensive in the developing districts.
Pushed all the undesirables to the suburbs where I live...
>>
>>1266206
>i am a fucking pussy the post
>>
>>1266209
denver isn't too bad
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-13-10-01-45.png (217KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-13-10-01-45.png
217KB, 720x1280px
>tfw no /k/ Airbmb Detroit experience
>>
>>1265954
I'm from California and spent a week in Detroit last year.

Downtown Detroit was safer and cleaner than downtown LA. Skidrow in LA has become also increasingly shittier and shittier over the years, it's out of control. The shitty Detroit ghettos where crime happens are clearly in their own zone, why bother going there? Just like why would you bother going to South Central or Compton if you're visiting LA? (although admittedly even those cities notorious for chimp outs are getting gentrified as well)

Most people I met and talked to there were genuinely happy to have visitors from out of state and the worst that happened to me was a homeless guy acting all nice then bothering me and my friends a while for change, until a local bro-tier Detroit resident saw us and stepped in making sure the bum wasn't about to try anything funny and shooing him away.
>>
>>1268860
you don't even know me, i know cities and i know how to survive in them. you wouldn't think so if you saw me but i have urban skills and street smarts like you wouldn't believe, that's why i like to warn amateurs about stuff like this. the concrete jungle is real.
>>
>>1266209
San Diego is the safest I've ever felt at night in a large city.
>>
>>1266209
London

After Philadelphia, the world is easy.
>>
>>1269839
>San Diego
It's safe if you're not homeless, there's a part of the city called "The Bumfire District" where people set hobos on fire for fun and the amusement of youngsters.
>>
>>1269990
Not sure I buy this
Sounds like the kind of thing that happened once and the media went crazy with it so Sally Soccermom would be glued to her local 6 o'clock news lest her children die by bumfire
>>
>>1268861
Unless you're on colfax, sure

I remember there being a drug store robbery a few years ago where the guy drove his fucking car through the window of the place
>>
>>1267161
>half mexican half afghan

what the fuck do you look like? Are you white?
>>
>>1266209
Any city with a negligible amount of niggers
>>
>>1266057
>fuckin flag looks like a BoS logo from Fallout

How can something like this exist IRL?
>>
>>1268832
There are a million reasons Singapore wouldn't belong on the same list as Shanghai or Hong Kong. This is one of them.
>>
>>1265969
thx™
>>
>>1270172
Central Africa isn't much different from Fallout
>>
File: laughing lain.gif (295KB, 700x704px) Image search: [Google]
laughing lain.gif
295KB, 700x704px
>>1269987
>london
>>
>>1266057
Read 'The Last Train to Zona Verde' by Paul Theroux

The guy has travelled the globe and even HE gave up in Angola- it got to the point that he realised there was no point in travelling further because it would just be more and more shitholes full of people asking for gibsmedats.

The Portuguese were so shit at colonisation its not even funny
>>
>>1266360
Singapore
Hong Kong
Shanghai
Tokyo
>>
>>1270625
Are you a gimmie, a ghost, or a dim?
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.